Page 9 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stormrage666 View Post
    it feels too childish

art is very oriental oriented

it reminds me of old mmo from 2005

Do you dare question the fat cat? The one that brings joy to many women of this world?

World of Warcraft doesn't make enough chibi stuff as far as I am concerned. Not on the level of cuteness we need. Stewards were a perfect example of this. Cute little guys, chibi version (pet etc) not that strong. I need it moar chibi looking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally the only good thing in the game is the Shadowbringers story. Everything else is weeb trash. The ShB story was very western high fantasy and helped me forget I was playing a creepy fucking weeb shit tier piece of shit.

Also the combat gameplay is fun. I find the jobs fun to play (but literally only at max level or else they’re fucking shit) and figure out optimal rotations without looking at guides.

But after playing all jobs to max level except like 3 that barely interest me, I quickly got bored. It’s just way too weeb for me. Not nearly as bad as Genshin (seriously fuck that fuckijg shit holy crap I didn’t last 5 fucking minutes in that giant heap of shit tier weeb trash), but anything that reminds me of the type of person that fetishizes Japanese culture is an instant turnoff

TLDR WEEB SHITE

Loading screens everywhere, more i can't say, because when i try to play, there were loading screens everywhere and not a connected world at all.

Too long rotations/Too many buttons.

I’m nota keybind kinda person, So when the game expects me to have a bunch of Shift+ or CTRL+ it throws me off completly.

The 1-7 + Q,E,F + Mouse button 123456 that i have for WoW already feels too much.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    Literally the only good thing in the game is the Shadowbringers story. Everything else is weeb trash. The ShB story was very western high fantasy and helped me forget I was playing a creepy fucking weeb shit tier piece of shit.

Also the combat gameplay is fun. I find the jobs fun to play (but literally only at max level or else they’re fucking shit) and figure out optimal rotations without looking at guides.

But after playing all jobs to max level except like 3 that barely interest me, I quickly got bored. It’s just way too weeb for me. Not nearly as bad as Genshin (seriously fuck that fuckijg shit holy crap I didn’t last 5 fucking minutes in that giant heap of shit tier weeb trash), but anything that reminds me of the type of person that fetishizes Japanese culture is an instant turnoff

TLDR WEEB SHITE
    You... you realize it's a Japanese game, right?

Is there a difference to you between fetishizing something from Japanese culture and something that is actually a part of Japanese culture?

The bots. Well, the bots. More botting and so many people who bot I wonder how many actual players the game has.

Eh, FFXIV does a lean a little heavily on Japanese tropes at times but it's definitely not as heavy handed as some of the other Eastern MMO's out there. It does tend to have a decent amount of Western aesthetics, too.

I wish it were grittier on some fronts - especially in regards to lasting consequences - but I don't think it's any more 'cringe' than WoW is whenever that game gets hammy.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Eh, FFXIV does a lean a little heavily on Japanese tropes at times but it's definitely not as heavy handed as some of the other Eastern MMO's out there. It does tend to have a decent amount of Western aesthetics, too.

I wish it were grittier on some fronts - especially in regards to lasting consequences - but I don't think it's any more 'cringe' than WoW is whenever that game gets hammy.
    Personally, I think FFXIV does much better with "lasting consequences" than any other MMO out there - and most RPGs in general. We're still following up on plot threads from more than a decade ago. Once we go to that new land and solve all its problems, they repay us by actually moving forward with us and feeding into the current narrative. WoW's "Well, why doesn't the Vindicaar just nuke the Horde from orbit?" question doesn't exist here. If you find yourself wondering why we aren't consulting a character or whatever from expansions past that would seem appropriate given the current circumstances, odds are, you will find yourself doing just that. Its expansions have genuinely expanded the world, rather than setting aside a mass of disconnected content with a scant few arbitrarily-chosen narrative threads tenuously connecting it to the next disconnected mass of content and so on.

Now, if by "grittier," you mean you wish we'd kill more characters off and killing characters is the only definition of "lasting consequences," I see where you're coming from, but I don't necessarily agree with that mindset. A lot of modern media tends to confuse character development with giving an archetypal, flimsy character an emotional and maudlin - if not also gory - sendoff. It works, sometimes, but mostly it's just lazy. Instead of developing a cast of characters, they just kill them off an introduce new ones.

Take, for example, Alphinaud. When introduced, he was (and to a degree, still is) everything I hate about JRPG characters. A lesser storyteller would have simply had him sacrifice himself somehow to make amends for that business with the Crystal Braves, giving him some form of redemption. That's the modern, gritty thing to do. Instead? We're given some actual character development. I actually got to see that arrogant prodigy archetype get humbled. To admit his errors. And to grow as a person. Somehow, they found a way to make me actually care for what is the embodiment of my most hated JRPG tropes. That would have not been able to be accomplished if they simply killed him off.

FFXIV's plot armour certainly exists, but it is entirely different from WoW's variation. In WoW, it is absolutely telegraphed what characters the writers currently have a hard-on for, and that character will just do awesome things and avoid death because the plot demands it, all the while unchanging - or changing in illogical ways not because the plot has affected them, but because the plot demands them to behave in a certain way at a certain time. In FFXIV, while the main cast is virtually immortal, the plot itself still affects them all. That is what makes them intriguing, and worthy of keeping around.

It's not just character death we want. That's not the only form of consequence. We could have towns or cities be nuked (WoW did that. Three times. Can't imagine FFXIV ever burning a part of Gridania). Actual loses. Or the Scions' reputation be permanently damaged which makes it harder for them to get stuff done (as what was happening at the end of 2.55... but then it was immediately handwaved away a few hours into 3.0). Or the Scions finally running out of money so they are short on resources and can't help out as effectively as they could anymore.

Just not a fan of how after ARR, it feels like a dream where everything goes off without a hitch and everyone lives happily ever after. It's starting to feel bad stuff only ever happens in the backstory, never to the characters during the actual story.

- - - Updated - - -

You can count the number of lasting consequences in the entire story thus far on one hand: Raubahn losing his arm, Thancred losing access to magic (which is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things), and Haucherfant dying (who was a side character). And I guess Papalymo dying, who was so irrelevant to the story most people forgot he even died. And... that's it. No, Y'shtola going blind doesn't count at all because she effectively isn't and continues to operate as normal; in fact she's actually buffed with Geordi vision and can infared see aether. And the "losing her life force" thing loses any weight when she isn't visibly aging or becoming weaker.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-03-10 at 01:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, the main issue has been trying to get back into the groove with questing.. Since I don't play all the time.

With WoW, I was able to leave for 3 mo, come back, and have a general idea about what I was doing before I left. With FF, I feel lost as soon as I log in. I know some of it just lack of familiarity with the game compared to wow.. but I shouldn't feel completely lost when I log in.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

I have taken multiple vacations from WoW to play FFXIV, most recently in mid-shadowbringers, so obviously I have great love and respect for the game. That said I will answer the question asked in the thread but will not debate my opinions. I only ever state two downsides with FFXIV when people ask my opinion:

1) The housing system, beyond the base apartment, uses artificial, false scarcity to create a “you should never leave the game” message to a player interested at all in housing. That homes can ever decay is an audacity that is an absolute dealbreaker for me when considering the kind of time investment involved. I have a primary MMO, and FFXIV will never take that slot, especially with the way housing is set up.

2) It’s actually reasonably possible to “not be good enough” to finish the story, which gates entire multiplayer features. I cannot seriously commit to any game where I feel there’s a very real chance my reflexes may “age out” of some of the “play this class/NPC that you’ve never shown an interest in playing before now” challenges in the MSQ flow.

Both of these issues are concerning when I think about the kind of time, enthusiasm and indeed identity investment that the genre demands among the few games that can reasonably ask it. WoW is idiot proof. Some days I’m an idiot, that’s my right as a consumer. FFXIV is ruthless on this front, and I can’t commit to a game where that is the case. There must always be an “apply time and win” lane around any roadblock. WoW covers that base, so I feel safe investing my time there.

My opinion, such as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's not just character death we want. That's not the only form of consequence. We could have towns or cities be nuked (WoW did that. Three times. Can't imagine FFXIV ever burning a part of Gridania). Actual loses. Or the Scions' reputation be permanently damaged which makes it harder for them to get stuff done (as what was happening at the end of 2.55... but then it was immediately handwaved away a few hours into 3.0). Or the Scions finally running out of money so they are short on resources and can't help out as effectively as they could anymore.

Just not a fan of how after ARR, it feels like a dream where everything goes off without a hitch and everyone lives happily ever after. It's starting to feel bad stuff only ever happens in the backstory, never to the characters during the actual story.

- - - Updated - - -

You can count the number of lasting consequences in the entire story thus far on one hand: Raubahn losing his arm, Thancred losing access to magic (which is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things), and Haucherfant dying (who was a side character). And I guess Papalymo dying, who was so irrelevant to the story most people forgot he even died. And... that's it. No, Y'shtola going blind doesn't count at all because she effectively isn't and continues to operate as normal; in fact she's actually buffed with Geordi vision and can infared see aether. And the "losing her life force" thing loses any weight when she isn't visibly aging or becoming weaker.
    Negative consequences aren't the only form of consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was playing the first version of the MMORPG, and it has left a taint so bad, I just can't play the remake.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

My biggest gripe is that you lose abilities when you downscale your level. It makes some specs go from being a pleasure to play to an absolute drag. I appreciate that it would require a tremendous amount of tuning to make it work, and that's probably why it'll never get changed, but losing out on incredibly useful abilities because you're hard capped puts me off of queuing for much beyond my daily stuff I'd queue on to level another Job.

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    For me, the main issue has been trying to get back into the groove with questing.. Since I don't play all the time.

With WoW, I was able to leave for 3 mo, come back, and have a general idea about what I was doing before I left. With FF, I feel lost as soon as I log in. I know some of it just lack of familiarity with the game compared to wow.. but I shouldn't feel completely lost when I log in.
    The MSQ now has a permanent HUD element that highlights the next MSQ quest in the chain (if there is one). So wherever you are and whenever you log in again, you can click on it and it tells you exactly where to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I was playing the first version of the MMORPG, and it has left a taint so bad, I just can't play the remake.
    It's a completely different game and there's a free trial for you to check it out, if you want. If you enjoyed the first one at all, I highly recommend checking out the remake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's a completely different game and there's a free trial for you to check it out, if you want. If you enjoyed the first one at all, I highly recommend checking out the remake.
    I didn't enjoy the first version at all. I tried returning to the new version and I still had bad taste playing it. The first version just ruins the view of it as an MMO.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I'd like more challenging 4 man content

There is also massive community issues hiding behind the guise of friendly. They aint friendly the moment you step out of any form of arbitrary, unwritten social guidelines

other than that, its really just gripes with how some jobs play

I think it was a really bad idea for levels 10-50 to feed you almost nothing but tons of ultra niche super situational raid utility you probably won't need to use until the level cap while STARVING you for your core abilities. I leveled Paladin and my rotation consisted of two buttons until sometime in Heavensward. It was SO dull. I got through it, but jesus christ was it boring. I was reminded of my vanilla WoW days on the very same class it was so bad. And it's like that with almost every job. Physical ranged get AoE at least in time for level 16 and running dungeons. But casters? Forget it. You're single targeting shit in dungeons for an eternity. I'm at a point now that when a friend needs leveling roulette I help out with dancer as it's just pure misery doing ARR dungeons with SMN and other jobs.

Speaking of roulette, what is up with the RNG? I get the matchmaking with new players that need a dungeon to progress their MSQ, but it boggles the mind how it's always low level ARR dungeons even with a full premade party of level 70+. I thought it was just RNG gonna RNG but two years of this since I started playing and it just beggars belief.

Speaking of running the same few dungeons over and over again, Square is out of their mind limiting Expert to just two. They spent countless resources making all of these leveling dungeons in ShB and I basically never see any of them any more. Come on Square. If you can't give us two dungeons every patch like you used to, at LEAST let us also run one of the old ShB dungeons in expert, just tune the numbers around the current item level.

Fates. Give us an option we can toggle that automatically syncs our level upon attacking a Fate enemy without having to select the sync option every single fate EVERY TWO MINUTES. Oh, you slipped "just" out of Fate range by accident? BETTER SYNC UP AGAIN.

Glamour system. Total nightmare. Not enough space for gear. Just copy and paste the transmog system from WoW please. I'm really tired of shuffling gear around I don't want to lose as there just isn't enough space. A BIG part of the game is glamour. Overhauling this system is WAY more important that Square realizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I didn't enjoy the first version at all. I tried returning to the new version and I still had bad taste playing it. The first version just ruins the view of it as an MMO.
    That's too bad. I'm not understanding how the first version ruins the view of it as an MMO when the new version is completely different, by design, but if that's how you feel then more power to you. Understand it's not for everyone, just advocating that you should give it a fair shake before writing it off completely. But you do you, no pressure, not trying to proselytize or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played FFXIV a lot, I have max level and everything. Same with WoW... currently playing WoW.

IMO, FFXIV deserve a better score but, I prefer playing WoW.

Negative...
    1. Too long to level
    2. Too long to kill a monster, combat too slow for me. Global cooldown is very slow too.
    3. Never feel strong
    4. I dont really like dungeon mechanics, the red marks on the group if you don't avoid it kill you faster than WoW, but at same time, you can res anytime... It's slower too. I found bosses more interesting in WoW. It's boring to dps in FFXIV, you don't feel the combat. Healing is not fun too because you don't have any addons.
    5. Lack of loots and rewards
    6. PvP
    7. Transmog is amazing
    8. No addons, no dps meter, nothing..
    9. No community, I mean, it's a solo game with people around you... Yes you can join a guild, but you can in WoW too.

Positive:
    1. Better Story of course
    2. Less stressful
    3. Less addictive
    4. Less time consuming
    5. More casual Friendly
    6. People are more friendly and comprehensive, they will help you in dungeon if you have trouble.
    7. People are more mature too I think.