Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Like the entire group of shaman masters we meet in each zone of the Cata expansion only to see them all die in a 20 meter gauntlet before the end of a dungeon... by being grabbed by a tentacle and flung into the air...

In FFXIV, I was really happy to have a quest dealing with the plight of the Doman Refugee's having to return to Doma after building a life for themselves and becoming an integral part of Revenants Toll. It addresses the friendships and crushes they are leaving behind, plus them making sure to show their gratefulness to the us and the people of Revenants Toll, who also consider them part and parcel of the town after helping make it what it was over 2 expansions
    And they didn't have to arbitrarily kill someone in the process!

You just can't imagine WoW doing something like that. They might have received a passing mention in a book somewhere, at most.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    And they didn't have to arbitrarily kill someone in the process!

You just can't imagine WoW doing something like that. They might have received a passing mention in a book somewhere, at most.
    We did have that sniper lady appear almost every expansion in WoW. in WOTLK it was great seeing all the returning characters from Vanilla, etc in each region. That was back then though, with the blizzard that was.

Ofcourse then they went and killed her in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    We did have that sniper lady appear almost every expansion in WoW. in WOTLK it was great seeing all the returning characters from Vanilla, etc in each region. That was back then though, with the blizzard that was.

Ofcourse then they went and killed her in Legion.
    Yeah, that's an understated element of why WotLK is remembered so fondly - so many characters from our previous experience all came together to play their part in the end of the Lich King. It was, in some ways, the ending that Mass Effect should have had.

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Yeah, that's an understated element of why WotLK is remembered so fondly - so many characters from our previous experience all came together to play their part in the end of the Lich King. It was, in some ways, the ending that Mass Effect should have had.
    the best part was they remembered you if you did their quests back then. in the case of grizzly hills my friend had a different response because he only PARTIALLY did it and they responded differently for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Loading screens everywhere, more i can't say, because when i try to play, there were loading screens everywhere and not a connected world at all.
    I also hate that

Forcing you to go through the main story quest.

I tried it out a good while back, and honestly, I think I got to around level 30-40 and then just stopped logging in. It wasn't in some fit of rage, I was just bored. I couldn't be bothered being forced through a terrible main story quest that I couldn't skip. The combat was also boring as sin. Slow, but also without variance. I'd gotten almost nothing to do, to use, by that point. I felt like I was just spamming the same shit over and over and over. You could argue that we do that in WoW, too, but for me, WoW's moment to moment combat is far superior.

Still, I could've lived with that if not for being forced through the fucking story. I play games for story a lot. I stop playing games with a bad story. I stopped playing FF14 because the story was bad, and the gameplay didn't make up for it. The art style and incongruity of trying at times to tell a serious story with weight using characters that look like they stepped out of a children's book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Forcing you to go through the main story quest.

I tried it out a good while back, and honestly, I think I got to around level 30-40 and then just stopped logging in. It wasn't in some fit of rage, I was just bored. I couldn't be bothered being forced through a terrible main story quest that I couldn't skip. The combat was also boring as sin. Slow, but also without variance. I'd gotten almost nothing to do, to use, by that point. I felt like I was just spamming the same shit over and over and over. You could argue that we do that in WoW, too, but for me, WoW's moment to moment combat is far superior.

Still, I could've lived with that if not for being forced through the fucking story. I play games for story a lot. I stop playing games with a bad story. I stopped playing FF14 because the story was bad, and the gameplay didn't make up for it. The art style and incongruity of trying at times to tell a serious story with weight using characters that look like they stepped out of a children's book.
    the first 50 levels are essentially the early days, the first phase of the game where they were recovering from FFXIV 1.0 after they imploded it. While its good in pockets before then, the storytelling and gameplay only really gets consistantly good after that starting from the first expansion, another reason they shortened the main quest before the 1st expansion.

********************on other matters***************

I also find people miss a lot of the story in FFXIV because they dont realize they can, that much like every other numbered final fantasy game, we can speak to the NPC's who are around and involved in the story quest. They just have the habit of going from quest marker to quest marker ignoring everyone around. They miss out on the unique opinions, jokes, consideration, personality, hints and references the story NPCs have to tell us.

Even more so are the hijinx they miss at the headquarters. major quest benchmarks make the HQ areas change and the NPCs have new things to say or have their own stories. I would have completely missed the two sisters and rhodragon brothers, where the healer sister is increasingly horrified by her sisters escalating "relations" with one brother, then both. At one point putting various facts together to realize they probably got it on not a few feet from where she was sleeping while on mission or that one situation where all of Thancreds lovers meet each other, to his horror.

Then there are the regional npcs who change with major plot events. Saved nations ? ALL the NPC from those nations across the world map in various camps and cities are tearfully thankful to you and/or pondering a future they never thought possible in their lifetime. Char death? The people who knew them in various places will be mourning them.

There should be a way to make this more accessible/presentable and/or increase awareness of it.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2021-03-18 at 08:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess just more content. Even though I'd say I like FF14 more than WoW (story, combat, raids, visuals), WoW has more satisfying grinds like world quests, farming rares, Torg, etc. I tend to get bored with FF14 faster and will let things build up longer before I resub so I'll have more to catch up on.

I feel like the FF14 devs may have said they didn't want the game to become a second job or something so maybe it's intentional...I may have just made that up tho....

The constant traveling.

"Fill this cup of water"
    *travel to another continent*
    *travel back*
    "Thank you for the cup, now travel back to where you filled the water"
    *travels back*
    "Pour the water back into the water, and then go back to where you started"

And I would mutch rather have "kill 50 enemies" and get more exp, than 5 quest with "kill 3 enemies".

There is in general too mutch quick-travel.

I love the dungeons, the gameplay and all, but im having a really tough time getting to max lvl.
    I was so burned out from ARR that it has taken me 2 weeks to go from lvl 50-54

And loading-screens!
    The worst ones is when you need 2 of them in ONE building, then have to use thoose two to exit as well
    Last edited by Rootsbum; 2021-03-17 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    I feel like the FF14 devs may have said they didn't want the game to become a second job or something so maybe it's intentional...I may have just made that up tho....
    They've said as much, yet their actions are contrary to such a viewpoint.

If you're lucky enough to own a house, you need to enter it once per every 45 days in order to avoid losing it. That's the equivalent of a month and a half, though it also conveniently works out to disallow people taking more than a single month break from the game if they want to avoid the loss.

FFXIV does have 'grindy' content, though it's often tedious rather than fun. There's a lack of the equivalent of WoW's Timeless Isle. Which, whilst grindy in some ways, generally had a lot of room for exploration, teaming up with other players or going at it solo style.

Veteran players are also arguably neglected these days. Back when the game was on shaky ground, Yoshi-P basically groveled at their feet and threw all sorts of goodies at them in the form of 'Veteran Rewards'. The system was scrapped since it wasn't fair to newer players. It was revamped into an achievement certificate system instead - but that receives new rewards very rarely.

Overall my view is that FFXIV is a decent MMO, though I'd be lying if I said I don't just stick with it due to the lack of competition that appeals to me. I've long since grown tired of WoW and dislike the direction the faction war/racial storylines have gone in.

There's some uncanny valley to ESO's character models that I can't get over. Furthermore, the game is woefully difficult to catch up in and has an overreliance on its cash shop.

GW2? I loved GW1, but GW2 feels like it deliberately takes a dump on the original game on many fronts.

You know what reaaaaally drives me nuts? The cutscenes. I get it, it’s a story driven game. But holy fuck does it get tiring. And those 15-20 minute nightmares? Just shoot me already. The storytelling is phenomenal in spots, but getting to those spots requires wading through gallons of crap.

If they would just learn to trim down the filler and create a tighter experience, the game would be vastly better off. As it stands, quests where you walk 400 yards, stop, listen to inconsequential dialogue then keep moving another 200 yards before you get another cutscene is just infuriating.

How terrible it is for alts. Yes I know the point is you can do everything on one character, but I don't want to. I love to have multiple with different races, genders, backgrounds and personalities. There are some minor gripes like not being able to mail money/gear to your alt (need either a friend or FC for the bank), but by far the biggest issue is that MSQ is still required for every single character after the first one. I've very much enjoyed the story on my main, but I loathe being forced to go through ALL of that many times again, and it's really putting me off of alts that I would otherwise like to play. Yes I know you can buy expansion story skips, but that's pretty asinine in a sub-based game and they're also way too expensive for me. Maybe something like 5€ a pop I could consider it, but the current 20-25€ is absolutely ridiculous.

Oh, and not enough bag/storage space.
    Last edited by Twen; 2021-03-27 at 02:49 PM.

I was completely fresh here recently and these are the things that I noticed..

The combat is terrible for a long long time. It eventually gets really good but man.. such a terrible slog at the start. Like 2 seconds between abilities and shit. Of course eventually you get things you can use off GCD and all that and it really gets interesting but.. man.. that first bit.. rancid.

WAY WAY to much filler. In particular in the first base game. It is a very story driven game. But between bits of story you have to do so so much filler it almost unplugs you from the narrative. It's the big save the world.. major bad guys.. we got to hurry on this.. go go go go... kill bugs for 5 hours.. then you can do a quest that advances the story.. and.. go kill bugs for 10 hours again. I get it MMOs have grinds. I accept it 100. But in this game it really really feels like a bit to heavy on the filler. I think it just needs to be turned down from like 11 to 7 or 8 and be way ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    The combat is slower than looking at a caterpillar moving through a branch. And I know what you want to say : "But at higher level..."... ummm... no... just no... if I am falling asleep within the first half an hour of a game because of sheer boredom, then it is a bad game. Period.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    The combat is slower than looking at a caterpillar moving through a branch. And I know what you want to say : "But at higher level..."... ummm... no... just no... if I am falling asleep within the first half an hour of a game because of sheer boredom, then it is a bad game. Period.
    The combat isn’t any better at high levels. It’s ridiculously slow and clunky.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    WAY WAY to much filler. In particular in the first base game. It is a very story driven game. But between bits of story you have to do so so much filler it almost unplugs you from the narrative. It's the big save the world.. major bad guys.. we got to hurry on this.. go go go go... kill bugs for 5 hours.. then you can do a quest that advances the story.. and.. go kill bugs for 10 hours again. I get it MMOs have grinds. I accept it 100. But in this game it really really feels like a bit to heavy on the filler. I think it just needs to be turned down from like 11 to 7 or 8 and be way ok.
    It was actually turned down from 15 or 13 if you can believe it. The devs are aware it is a weak point. It honestly helps a lot if you are already a Final Fantasy fan. It distracts from the slow start, and by the time you realize you were scammed into grinding, you are already invested in the story of the central characters (minus Minfilia). That's what happened to me anyway.

Ah yes, how could I forget the super slow GCD. At first it was downright infuriating, now I'm more used to it but it still tends to get my goat at times. On that note, having your kit cut in half in lower level instances feels pretty bad, even if it might be reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only real problem I have is their wonky netcode.
    Doing everything right on my screen and the server going "NOPE!" because stuff happened 500ms earlier on the server always ticks me off.

And before some wise-ass chips in: it is not my Internet connection, I never had these problems in 10yrs of WoW.

It's the main reason why I stopped playing savage.

The rest are minor pet-peeves like the general clunkiness of the UI, their over reliance on text links, unnecessary confirmation steps (you sure you want to turn in this otherwise useless quest item?) and needless complexity of the DPS classes.

The entire back end system, from establishing a new account to managing your subscription to purchasing new expansions, is just absolute shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    The entire back end system, from establishing a new account to managing your subscription to purchasing new expansions, is just absolute shit.
    Hmm I never noticed much change to Blizzard.
    Buy addon on steam -> punch in code in Mog Station -> done.

Only awkward part is being locked into steam, aye.