Page 13 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    I enjoy very challenging group content and FF14 doesn't have that, I also like character design, and FF14 only has humans and gnomes, sure they have like 1 human with some bones on, one with cat ears etc but to me they are way way way boring. The voice acting is also terribly bad in some areas, making me feel ashamed I'm even playing the gam, one of few games to make me actually cringe while playing it.
    Story is the one thing FF14 has going for it, and some beautiful environments. It's not a bad game but it's not for me.
    Oh, I also really really hate how everyone is every class, I know for some this is a strength but Im not one of them.
    you don't think prog groups for end game savage and ex raids is challenging group content?

Its not available on Steam in my country

10+ Year Old Account
    I also like character design, and FF14 only has humans and gnomes, sure they have like 1 human with some bones on, one with cat ears etc but to me they are way way way boring.
    Yes! I wish there were more race options. Honestly...the only one I like are the cat boys and that's because I like their posture and the way gear looks on them. Dragon boys should have been my fave but my glamours just don't sit right on them (compared to kitties).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Maybe it's better if it's through Steam. I'm not, and it's:
    Preorder expansion through Square > Get e-mailed code > Enter code on website to get real code > Enter code on Mog Station to unlock preorder bonus > Wait for expansion release > Get locked out of game > Get e-mailed real real code > Enter code on Mog Station to activate the expansion
    Yeah it is pretty awful. With that said, each of the sites and e-mails and whatnot have a pretty detailed set of instructions on how to do it, so I've never had any issues. But it is not at all user friendly and is significantly more complicated than it needs to be.

I played it and got bored out of my mind quickly. I tried to play it again later and got bored out of my mind, which only got worse as time went on. I gave it a chance twice and I can safely say it's not for me.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    Yes! I wish there were more race options. Honestly...the only one I like are the cat boys and that's because I like their posture and the way gear looks on them. Dragon boys should have been my fave but my glamours just don't sit right on them (compared to kitties).
    Unfortunate side effect of being an asian MMO. It is a miracle we got Hrothgar at all limited though they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that I have to create a new account to play the free trial just to see if it is worth paying for again.

Bought ARR Collector's Edition when it came out and played it for a bit before IRL took over and then I went back to WoW.
    I can either throw money at that account which may end up being wasted if it doesn't interest me, or start over on a new SE account and lose all progress I make if I decide that I do want to play but with my CE stuff.

If only there was an MMO that SE could look at which gave you the ability to have restricted access to characters when you are not subbed (so you can have a play around) but full access when you are. If only.
    Speciation Is Gradual

The story, art, music and characters of Final Fantasy 14 are hands down better imo across the board. But i think it's more fun to actually play WoW as a game. It's easier to control my character, kill monsters and just run around doing things.

So FF's limited engine is the largest problem I guess I have. And it's kind of a big deal since at the end of the day it is a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daltin View Post
    You specifically mention "but at higher level" , and then completely ignore that a job like Machinist has a 27 button opener in the first 20 seconds of an encounter.

You either acknowledge it, or ignore it, it doesn't matter to me. Leveling a Shaman in Warcraft, at level one? Stormstrike... Stormstrike.... Stormstrike........Stormstrike.......oh hey now I have Flame Shock.

I'm not here to argue that the APM is higher than WoWs, because it obviously isn't.

But Assassination, Destruction, and Frost Mage have lower APM than XIV's Ninja, for the record. I've don't hear any of those 3 classes bitching and moaning about their APM very often.

You're faced with enough Pass / Fail mechanics in Savage and higher content that you don't notice you're doing 47 APM rotations instead of 55 like WoW.

And I'm sorry, if this whole basis of the argument of "Slow combat" is on '8' APM, I can't get behind that. 1 more ability every ~7 seconds, that's a doozy.
    Yeah I am ignoring the end game, I have already given reason why. Just as you choose to ignore that the combat is slow at early level, even at mid level, I choose to ignore that the combat is fast at end game.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    Yeah I am ignoring the end game, I have already given reason why. Just as you choose to ignore that the combat is slow at early level, even at mid level, I choose to ignore that the combat is fast at end game.
    Hmm. I never ignored that combat is slow at early, or mid-level. I specifically said, "I'm not here to argue that APM is higher than WoWs, because it obviously isn't"

Combat is slow in every ARPG, or MMORPG, in the early levels. I don't know how one can 'judge' how something feels before you have the completed picture and entire toolkit available to you. If I judged a game like Path of Exile based on the first 30 minutes, I don't think anyone would ever play it.

You aren't wrong in the sense that games need to "grab" you in the first X minutes. It's very important for player retention. I can't remember the -exact- stat, but for a game like Path of Exile, it was something like 50-60% of players do not even reach the end-game. It's a damn shame.

FFXIV is no different. I reckon it'd be even higher, with 60-70% of players deciding to not reach the max level and max content. It, however, remains my opinion that it is a shame because the flow is much better, and more fluid, at that stage of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caerrona View Post
    Absolutely zero challenging endgame.

Edit- also 50000000000 cut scenes some unskippable and probably the worst things I have seen in a game. Also 50000000000 solo instances that basically make leveling with friends pointless.
    The story game wants you to watch the story. How unbelievable of them.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Cheers. Interesting approach.
    It is, but I really don't recommoned it.

I enjoy very challenging group content and FF14 doesn't have that
    Not to be that guy, but please feel free to share your clears of Ultimates.

Just because you haven't reached / ventured into the challenging group content, doesn't mean it isn't there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Unfortunate side effect of being an asian MMO. It is a miracle we got Hrothgar at all limited though they are.
    Huh? What do you mean by that?
    To be honest though: In wow, most races are modified humans too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daltin View Post
    Not to be that guy, but please feel free to share your clears of Ultimates.
    Aye, though I kind of understand their point: WoW offers a lot more bosses and raid content in general compared to FF-XIV.
    To a raid retiree like me, raiding not being the laser-focus of the game is a strength but to others it may be a turn-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Aye, though I kind of understand their point: WoW offers a lot more bosses and raid content in general compared to FF-XIV.
    To a raid retiree like me, raiding not being the laser-focus of the game is a strength but to others it may be a turn-off.
    Agree. The problem I have with FFXIV is that you only get bosses in a 4-boss raid tier. They do not deviate. This is how it is and will forever be.

For those who are following the thread and may not know, XIV raids for an expansion are broken up into three sets of four bosses, balanced towards an 8 man group. These are the real raid tiers, while the game also introduces separate 24 man raids that are more on par with LFR difficulty every other patch. So, the patch cycle is 8 man, 24 man, 8, 24, 8, 24.

It would be like an entire expansion consisting of raids of.. Tichondrius / Krosus / Elisande / Guldan ... then in two patches.. Goroth, Maiden, Avatar, and Kiljaeden, etc etc.

Another complaint I do actually have about the raid bosses are the utter lack of adds. It seems that they are completely shy with even attempting to put adds into Savage content because of how Alexander went. Sure, adds show up in Ultimates, and Shiva did have a 40 second phase with adds for a 15 minute fight, but every now and then it would be nice to have a fight where you are dealing with constant waves of adds to handle. I do hope they reconsider their assumed 'self-ban' on adds in Savage content. Secondary to that point, it would be nice for Bards to have a signature fight like that. Bards are so strong in sustained 2 target situations.

So, I do agree completely, that only getting 12 "real" bosses an expansion hurts the game in that regard. There are 'Ultimates' though that provide.. hundreds of hours of progression for most 8 man groups to complete. It's unfortunate that Covid caused one of the Ultimates to be cut from this last expansion. Hopefully they get to doing 2 next expansion.
    Last edited by Daltin; 2021-03-30 at 07:11 AM.

My main problem with it are the raids. While everyone likes saying that wow is a dead mmo, the raid designs are great.

Most of the savage FF14 raids (specially in shadowbringers) are "dodge the big aoe or get dunked"....

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I never liked the "Trash-wave" fights in WoW.

Council fights on the other hand...

Yeah I'm biased, I played a Shadow Priest for nearly 10 years.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Well look at any asian MMO. All races are humans with a few extra parts. Horns, tails, ears, whatever.

Hrothgar are different. They actually looks like buff Khajiit with a back pain (non darkspear trolls). The two most highly requested races were Viera and something less human (mostly by western audience). There is a finite number of races FFXIV can use before they need to either cut back on content or extend the wait between patches. Fitting gear on every skeleton takes time that can't just be solved with more money. So Yoshida decided on female only Viera and male only Hrothgar. Also because of their faces, not many gear fits at all. Initially they couldn't wear any head gear, but the dev team modified a few pieces in their free time to fit on Viera and Hrothgar.

The gender lock is still one of the most controversial things in the game, but i understand why it had to be this way.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I saw when I tried it:

1- Graphics: Sorry but not for me. They look pretty bad because they attempt realism and I can tell you from my very first hand experience, that is hard to achieve. WoW graphics blow FF apart if you ask me.

2- It is not a Final Fantasy game. They have changed the franchise way too much from its roots.

I have played this game on and off for the last few years with WOW as my main and FFXIV as my second - sometimes switching between the two.. in that way.

The issues with FFXIV is its a pick up and play for a month or two then drop as the same pattern per patch is done

Mission update - spend 3 maybe 4 hours doing the questline which normally involves the new instance and then finish that out
    Dungeons and Raids with gear release - you can spend the time doing this daily and weekly if you want to get the best gear

After about 4 - 6 weeks of this you can stop as there is nothing else to do unless and the game goes into for me a maintenance mode for me

3-4 months later repeat cycle...

If you miss a cycle and need catchup buy the gear.. done.. so you dont need to come back for each patch can just skip and do catch up but you will have to go through 8 - 10 hours of quests.. just to do it.

Its not changed it formula in years...

Patch
    Raid 24 man/Dungeon/Mission

Patch
    Raid 8 man/Dungeon/Mission

Raid, Rinse, Repeat

To be far WOW isnt any better but for some reason it keeps me playing daily.. where as to play daily on FFIV I feel I have to do the chores.. think this makes sense

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nedor View Post
    To be far WOW isnt any better but for some reason it keeps me playing daily.. where as to play daily on FFIV I feel I have to do the chores.. think this makes sense
    Al I ever did in WoW were chores ... minus the 3 raid evenings. Hell, 60% of my online time was probably spent using WoW as an animated chat box.
    In older expansions, you hit the "raidlog / raid or die" spot so quickly it could make your head spin.

It's common to all MMOs, if you want to play daily.