Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Personally I've never found a playable race to be inherently more interesting just because it looks inhuman and/or ugly.

When I played WoW, I favoured the likes of Blood Elves, Night Elves and Humans. They looked decent enough but more importantly they had interesting story elements tied to them. Granted, over time a lot of those elements were slowly eroded away...

FFXIV is in a weird spot. It puts a lot more focus on its story but the playable races don't really get much attention or depth.

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely agree that they give very little background information on the races in XIV.
    Au'ra got a bit of a spotlight in Stormblood though, that was neat.

I did the free trial up until I think I got the ability to play the Ninja so take this for what you want for 3 examples:

1) Slow leveling, even doing every little thing along with the main quests.
    2) Hated losing my abilities if I do something lower level. Why? Fuck if I know. I clearly want to play even slower from my already slow play.
    3) Ok, this one is my one gripe that got extremely annoying as I played. The god damn loading times/zones. I forgot the town name and zone, but you literally have to go through 4 loading zones for like 30 seconds worth of walking. Get done, talk to the guy, have to leave. Another 4 fucking loading screens. Do the quest. Have to go back to the fucking loading screens again! Leave? FUCKING LOADING SCREENS. Just make that shit seamless! Yeah, WoW has a loading screen if I leave a continent or go into an instance or pvp, but I don't have to have one every time I leave a door or a town.

Little shit like that is why I gave up.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Tried the game, because I was fed up with raiding in Classic.
    My patience lasted about an hour. The graphics, the races/models, the music, no sound NPCs conversations, and generally everything felt "wrong".
    So, I am leveling in Classic again. After playing FF14, I love Classic even more.

I struggle to wrap my head around the job system and, well, the way the game works as a whole. I've tried multiple times to get into the game but it just never took. For whatever reason, I find the whole thing overwhelming. I just don't get the whole, pick a job, you can then pick a better job, and then you can do all the jobs? Is that right?

I feel like I need a real simple guide that holds your hand and explains the entire process of the game system step by step, but I haven't found one that I can easily follow. I've never had a problem with any other MMO< but for whatever reason this one is just a huge blindspot for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I struggle to wrap my head around the job system and, well, the way the game works as a whole. I've tried multiple times to get into the game but it just never took. For whatever reason, I find the whole thing overwhelming. I just don't get the whole, pick a job, you can then pick a better job, and then you can do all the jobs? Is that right?

I feel like I need a real simple guide that holds your hand and explains the entire process of the game system step by step, but I haven't found one that I can easily follow. I've never had a problem with any other MMO< but for whatever reason this one is just a huge blindspot for me.
    Honestly, it isn't complicated at all.

Eg:
    You start as a druid, do your class quests until 30, then you get a quest that pimps you to White Mage (via Job Crystal) and you level that till cap. Pretty much like WoW. Once you have the WHM, you never run around as a druid again, so you can basically forget the base job ever existed.

It USED to be that you need another random job at 15 to unlock the advanced jobs but thankfully, they got rid of that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Honestly, it isn't complicated at all.

Eg:
    You start as a druid, do your class quests until 30, then you get a quest that pimps you to White Mage (via Job Crystal) and you level that till cap. Pretty much like WoW. Once you have the WHM, you never run around as a druid again, so you can basically forget the base job ever existed.

It USED to be that you need another random job at 15 to unlock the advanced jobs but thankfully, they got rid of that nonsense.
    Really? The sticky on the forum here must be out of date then? For example, it says that if I want to be a Scholar, I need to be an Arcanist 30 and a Conjuror 15. Is the new system just: be a level 30 Arcanist?

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Really? The sticky on the forum here must be out of date then? For example, it says that if I want to be a Scholar, I need to be an Arcanist 30 and a Conjuror 15. Is the new system just: be a level 30 Arcanist?
    Yes.
    Summoner/Scholar only need a lvl 30 Arcanist (you always level both btw), Paladin needs only a lvl 30 Gladiator, Whitemage needs a lvl 30 Druid and so on and so forth for the ones that do have base jobs. Only the one that becomes the higher one is required.
    When i very first started, i need lvl 30 Pugilist and lvl 15 something else, but all the secondary requirements are gone by now, so you can completely focus on one class if you so desire without ever learning a 2nd one (unless...well... you wanna play something like let's say Samurai, which require a character of lvl 50 or so before you can unlock and play it, but start at, i think 50)

The 2.5 sec GCD.

Combat is too slow!

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat can feel clunky depending on the class. I also hate the server lag. Not like me lagging but the actual server lag or whatever you call it. I have played this game for close to 4 years now and STILL get clipped by AoE/telegraphs because even though I was out of it on my screen the server said otherwise lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Combat can feel clunky depending on the class. I also hate the server lag. Not like me lagging but the actual server lag or whatever you call it. I have played this game for close to 4 years now and STILL get clipped by AoE/telegraphs because even though I was out of it on my screen the server said otherwise lol.
    I hear that complain often but I think this is due to people just not understanding how the AoE zones work in this game. They aren't tied to the visual warning.
    They are tied to cast-bars 99,5% of the time with very few exceptions.
    I'm not saying this to put blame on you or anything, I'm saying it because people actually don't know this most of the time (or they know but still pretend it's not their own fault)

1. Boss starts a cast: "Big blob of death"
    2. A red warning circle appears below your feet.
    3. The boss finished the cast: "Big blob of death"
    4. You step out of the zone.
    5. The red warning circle disappears now
    6. The boss does the spell animation for "Big blob of death"
    7. You get hit because you didn't leave the circle before the boss finished the cast (step 3), even though you were already outside before the circle disappeared (Step 4).

This means you can actually run *into* the circles/visual effects (step 5+6) and get hit by the abilities on your screen, but you won't actually take any damage because you were outside the effect before step 3 occured. The server "snapshots" your position by the end of the cast, not by the end of the ability or by the time the circle disappears. It's different for PVP or if you want to determine where *other* players currently are or walk towards but it really works well for whatever happens on your own screen and once you understand how each skill works.
    You might say "but the very fact that I can walk into abilities is proof that the server lag is there" and I'd agree, if it weren't also for the fact that boss abilities last for like 5 seconds, even though they only apply 1 hit, and are basically just visuals that sometimes even start ~30-40 seconds *after* the snapshot.

I'm saying 99,5% of the time, because there is actually a very small amount of boss-abilities that work differently. The snake/straight-line mechanic in E10S for example. That AoE zone is actually of the "expanding" type and you only get hit if the void/ability touches you, which means you can stand IN the red-circle. Mechanics like these actually proof that the "hit-detection" (or whatever you want to call it) is pretty decent in this game and net-code works fine for the purpose of raiding properly.

I have no idea how crappy the servers feel to play on when you are living in NZ or something, but in Europe, everytime I hear someone blaming and cursing and swearing on their mothers grave that they "were already outside" are just flat out lying basically pretty much always. Especially if it's comming out of nowhere and that person didn't complain about "skill-delay" or anything beforehand.
    You can actually really tell if you are lagging or having connection issues in this games.

Skill feedback starts to get delayed, the cast bar starts very late and your cast won't get interrupted even though you started moving 2 seconds ago (slide casting is a thing, but you can immediatly tell the difference between that and lags), you start seeing character animations but no damage numbers etc. etc.
    If that happens and you get hit by AoE, yes, it's the server/your connection is at fault. If you can play just fine and get by AoE, it's basically always the player at fault and the inexperience they have with these mechanics.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-01 at 02:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I hear that complain often but I think this is due to people just not understanding how the AoE zones work in this game. They aren't tied to the visual warning.
    I'm not saying this to put blame on you or anything, I'm saying it because people actually don't know this most of the time (or they know but still pretend it's not their own fault)

1. Boss starts a cast: "Big blob of death"
    2. A red warning circle appears below your feet.
    3. The boss finished the cast: "Big blob of death"
    4. You step out of the zone.
    5. The red warning circle disappears now
    6. The boss does the spell animation for "Big blob of death"
    7. You get hit because you didn't leave the circle before the boss finished the cast (step 3), even though you were already outside before the circle disappeared (Step 4).

This means you can actually run *into* the circles/visual effects (step 5+6) and get hit by the abilities on your screen, but you won't actually take any damage because you were outside the effect before step 3 occured. The server "snapshots" your position by the end of the cast, not by the end of the ability or by the time the circle disappears.

I'm saying 99,5% of the time, because there is actually a very small amount of boss-abilities that work differently. The snake/straight-line mechanic in E10S for example. That AoE zone is actually of the "expanding" type and you only get hit if the void/ability touches you, which means you can stand IN the red-circle. Mechanics like these actually proof that the "hit-detection" (or whatever you want to call it) is pretty decent in this game and net-code works fine for the purpose of raiding.

I have no idea how crappy the servers feel to play on when you are living in NZ or something, but in Europe, everytime I hear someone blaming and cursing and swearing on their mothers grave that they "were already outside" are just flat out lying basically pretty much always. Especially if it's comming out of nowhere and that person didn't complain about "skill-delay" or anything beforehand.
    You can actually really tell if you are lagging or having connection issues in this games.

Skills start to get delayed feedback, the cast bar starts very late, you start seeing character animations but no damage numbers etc. etc.
    If that happens and you get hit by AoE, yes, it's the server/your connection is at fault. If you can play just fine and get by AoE, it's the player.
    Makes sense and I have seen "actual" lag where everything is delayed by 2 or more seconds so I get it. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though especially on some of the more busy fights especially when the telegraph is for an instant cast. And sure it is on the player at that point to be paying attention and act accordingly but it still sucks to think you were on top of it to only still get hit or killed. Been seeing it a lot in Delubrum and Southern Front lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    Makes sense and I have seen "actual" lag where everything is delayed by 2 or more seconds so I get it. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though especially on some of the more busy fights especially when the telegraph is for an instant cast. And sure it is on the player at that point to be paying attention and act accordingly but it still sucks to think you were on top of it to only still get hit or killed. Been seeing it a lot in Delubrum and Southern Front lately.
    If you have actual lags even when you do skills etc. I wouldn't blame you for getting hit, even if you pay attention.
    Because usually, the warning circles also appear much later on your screen than usual whenever that happens.

If you have these issues often, I'd recommend a VPN, like Mudfish.
    In Germany, FFXIV is nearly not possible to be played without it because the routing is horrible. (Even though the Servers are in Frankfurt)
    3€ get you enough bandwith for like multiple years of actual in-game time.
    I think I bought 3€ worth of bandwidth when Stormblood raiding started, and I still have 2,30€ left.

Your lags might be related to routing issues too, and a gaming VPN like Mudfish (no advertising intended) - will bypass that most likely.
    It's only tracking your actual game traffic, so you can leave it on at all times (if you so wish) and not waste bandwidth by downloading videos or whatever.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-01 at 04:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The general rule is: be out of the yellow circle before it disappears (not before the actual visual effect of the AoE hits) and you are safe.
    That applies to 99.9% of all telegraphs. The only time in which that does not work is when the server throws a hissy-fit. Which it sometimes does, stop pretending otherwise and don't dare calling me a liar. I can see the difference between me reacting too slow and the server trolling me and I have no problem admitting it if I am too slow.

Keep in mind that there is a general delay of about 500ms - 1s (depending on server mood) on everything you see client side.
    Most easily noticed when you dispel a stacking debuff, like they sometimes happen in 24man raids, heal a nearly dead player etc.

So: be at least 500ms out of the AoE telegraph before it disappears.

True final fantasy 14 has some problems but its definitely not gamebreaking. Most people complain about that the first lvl 50 story is slow or that they dont want to do main story where you interract with characters or that the combat is slow or that they dont like loading screens. But they compare it with WoW which is more of a mmo now. Those who complain just dont like a game thats a MMORPG with an emphases on the RPG.

The main story to lvl 50 pre patch was in my opinion a hell of a nice experience. Becoming lvl 50 was an accomplishment and you truly started to bond with the character BECAUSE of the long mainquest, after all it is also a RPG. If you write on your game RPG, then the game has to deliver a wonderfull story where you bond with certain characters and the story is consistent. Bonding with characters doesnt mean that you kill 50 boars WoW style, no, it means good dialogue, character development, you being involved with their development and so on. And yes, a quest where you run after a character who is on its knees mentally, does help. People should stop comparing FF14 with WoW and say that FF14 is slow on story and combat. If you ask me, WoW went full retard with the story since MoP, and I used to be a diehard WoW lore fanatic, always rereading the books and so on. You shouldnt compare them with eachother. To me FF14 is a true MMORPG, there are no alpha and beta or public server, yet they ace it every single time with their boss encounters and class combat and tuning of the gear.

Loading screens, yeah i get it, but who keeps teleporting 15 times in 10minutes. Maybe 2 times in a minute, but thats all and it might be 4 seconds.

Yes, the combat is slow, but only at the beginning since everything is tuned for end lvl. lvl 80 combat is more dynamic and fun with its offgc abilities/spells, you should try to execute the opener and the 1 minute rotation flawlesly during a savage boss without getting hit, trust me, its hard.

The only downside that I can find on FF14 is definitely the passive agressive community that sometimes pops up. Annoying as hell, I would rather want that person to call me names than be passive agressive and try to act like an adult. Plus the sheer amount of things that you can do earn gil or lvl faster mainjob/alt is basically hidden, you really need a friend who knows a shortcut.

All in All, its a really good game, a game worthy to be called a triple A MMORPG. They have thought about every single detail and you can see their passion in their work. But like in any MMORPG, if you are a new player YOU NEED FRIENDS TO ENJOY IT!!!!!! I played alone FF14 as a new player, yes it was annoying that I felt that it was going slow, cuz i didnt know a damn thing about the game, but i definitely enjoyed the amount of effort they had put into the lore and character development.

The cast time/animation/damage event desync is definitely my biggest turn off. Even though it's not "lag", having the cast bar and animations completely desynced breaks the expectation that just about every other game sets and feels terrible. It's not at all a smooth experience to get hit by a frontal cleave ability when you've been behind a monster for half a second, regardless of being able to play around it by not looking at the game but the cast bar instead. Ground/AOE telegraphs often would imply a synchronization with cast time based on the telegraph's visual progression that was also often not the case, adding to the pile of visual desyncs with combat that ultimately turned me away from the game. The game is so beautiful, it sucks that you feel compelled to stare at a UI element instead of looking at the game world for something so standard in games dating back decades.

Keep in mind that there is a general delay of about 500ms - 1s (depending on server mood) on everything you see client side.
    Most easily noticed when you dispel a stacking debuff, like they sometimes happen in 24man raids, heal a nearly dead player etc.

It was stated by Yoshi-P himself that the server doesn't actually update character locations constantly, it's only every 300ms...which is even more frustrating because it's literally hardcoded. But it also updates character positions any time they use an ability, so if you step out and immediately hit a skill, doesn't even matter which one it is because it forces the server to do a position check before it gets used, it ensures the server recognizes your position.

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ev-Response%29

As you said though, sometimes the server just has a fit and you seen delays and lag and whatnot which just exacerbates this issue, but the forced positioning check by using an ability is still a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerio View Post
    The cast time/animation/damage event desync is definitely my biggest turn off. Even though it's not "lag", having the cast bar and animations completely desynced breaks the expectation that just about every other game sets and feels terrible. It's not at all a smooth experience to get hit by a frontal cleave ability when you've been behind a monster for half a second, regardless of being able to play around it by not looking at the game but the cast bar instead. Ground/AOE telegraphs often would imply a synchronization with cast time based on the telegraph's visual progression that was also often not the case, adding to the pile of visual desyncs with combat that ultimately turned me away from the game. The game is so beautiful, it sucks that you feel compelled to stare at a UI element instead of looking at the game world for something so standard in games dating back decades.
    As @Granyala said, the vast majority of the time it does coincide with the visual animation on the screen. The exceptions to this are when: 1) you have a bad internet connection and your latency is high or 2) the server is having a fit which is pretty rare.

With that said, it's obviously hard to distinguish which is which or to predict when one might happen in the middle of the fight. Just trying to say that the game isn't inherently designed to have the cast bar and animation to be unsynced, it's just an artifact of it being an online game with an unoptimized net code. Which doesn't really make it better...

The general rule is: be out of the yellow circle before it disappears (not before the actual visual effect of the AoE hits) and you are safe.
    That applies to 99.9% of all telegraphs. The only time in which that does not work is when the server throws a hissy-fit. Which it sometimes does, stop pretending otherwise and don't dare calling me a liar. I can see the difference between me reacting too slow and the server trolling me and I have no problem admitting it if I am too slow.

Again, if you have these issues, consider a VPN.
    I don't have these issues and immediatly "feel" when they'd show up.
    When I do feel it, I use a VPN and it's gone.
    It's more related to routing than it is to actual server perfomance or the frequncy it updates positions.

Can't be a coincidence that even though I raid once-twice a week I never actually have this issue and know when and IF I'm about to get hit and when not, but as I mentioned, I have no idea how the connection is when you live in Australia or something.
    In my opinion it's the most abused excuse ever.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-01 at 03:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, if you have these issues, consider a VPN.
    I don't have these issues and immediatly "feel" when they'd show up.
    Or maybe you are simply not overly sensitive to it or reason around it with "snapshotting" etc, blah. Fact is: the damage should not happen when the telegraph goes away, the damage should happen, when the actual bomb visual hits. Because that's when .. you know... the bomb actually explodes. Being able to run in there because the telegraph is gone and you know that the bomb already exploded server side ... yeah I agree with @Neiro. It's weird.

Kinda American-die-hard-action-hero™ cool that Kitty just stands there not caring when the world goes up in flames but also ... weird.

VPN just for one game? I would consider it if it was a crippling issue but after so many years, outside of the occasional hissy fit I am used to pre-planning and moving accordingly. On top of that: I do not believe that a VPN would fix the underlying issue.

Now the actual lags that happen since the Shadowbringers pre-patch, even though it has gotten a lot better in the last few months, THOSE were a killer (I had up to 10s of frozen chars/bosses etc) and super annoying. One of the reasons why I stopped raiding savage because I felt like a klutz.

i've mentioned some of my issues earlier in the thread but my biggest issue is there is no wow factor for me. nothing that draws me in and makes me want to sink dozens of hours into it. while some complain about the cartoony graphics of wow, that is one of the reasons i kept playing all these years. ff14 looks rather generic in art and spell effects. it has a lot of things i wish wow would add such as having one character being able to play every class but that just isn't enough.

valheim got me to sink 10 hours JUST into base building. the building system made me get creative with structure placement.