Page 18 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Two main problems that stopped me from playing:

Loading outdoor areas. This SUCKS big time and is unnacceptable in a MMO game made after 2001 or so. Even more glaring is that the first version of FFXIV didn't have this.

Can't use my mouse-wheel to bind keys. That's it. And no, I don't want to use AutoHotkey to do it, I want to use the in-game hotkey interface.

If they removed that annoying loading of outdoor areas I would be very tempted to relent and install AutoHotkey to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    I wish I liked ARR as much as you. I found the Ascians to be laughable villains. ShB worked miracles to retcon them into something with compelling depth, right before they wiped them all out. But they were saturday morning cartoon villains with gaudy masks and vague and poorly articulated motives in ARR. Elidibus was one of the longest standing villains of the series, but while he's always present, it never felt like he was doing much to make his character compelling. At least if they did a slow drip that left me craving to know more, that would be something. But it was always that he's just "there". I wish they had ShB more mapped out while they were making ARR so they could have laid the foundation of crumbs sooner, articulated with their current writer. But I get that ARR was basically just thrown together in hardly any time at all without any regard to where the game would be three expansions later. They were probably wondering if the game would even live to see an expansion pack while they were cobbling the story together.
    Sadly you are right regarding the ARR Ascians and Praetorium will always be there to remind us of how much they sucked

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    I wish I liked ARR as much as you. I found the Ascians to be laughable villains. ShB worked miracles to retcon them into something with compelling depth, right before they wiped them all out. But they were saturday morning cartoon villains with gaudy masks and vague and poorly articulated motives in ARR. Elidibus was one of the longest standing villains of the series, but while he's always present, it never felt like he was doing much to make his character compelling. At least if they did a slow drip that left me craving to know more, that would be something. But it was always that he's just "there". I wish they had ShB more mapped out while they were making ARR so they could have laid the foundation of crumbs sooner, articulated with their current writer. But I get that ARR was basically just thrown together in hardly any time at all without any regard to where the game would be three expansions later. They were probably wondering if the game would even live to see an expansion pack while they were cobbling the story together.
    The Ascians in ARR and HW are a low point for sure, but ARR had a lot of other things going for it. The Ul'dah political intrigue. Trying to find a new home for the Doman refugees. The Garlean succession war throwing a wrench in things. Negotiating with Aymeric. Learning more about the metaphysics of the soul and the echo and auracite.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    So I love FF14. It is the first MMO since WoW to hold my interest beyond a few months. But it does have some serious issues that have become more apparent the longer I play the game imo. So what issues do you have with the game?

1. The inventory. I honestly find this to be absolutely unacceptable. You're expected to keep multiple sets of gear for all the jobs you have plus sets you like the appearance of because there's no appearances system like in WoW or GW2. Despite this the inventory feels extremely limiting and the only way to improve it is to buy retainers for a monthly fee. I'm definitely a hoarder, but I've never had inventory problems in WoW, SWTOR, or ESO, so this is definitely a FFXIV problem and not a me problem.

2. Hardcore/Midcore endgame content. So Savage and Ultimate raids are great. I think the game does have decent hardcore content. The issue I have is the X.1, X.3, and X.5 patches. These patches introduce a new Alliance Raid and sometimes a new Ultimate fight, but for Savage raiders you're basically left with 4 bosses every 7+ months. That's just not enough. I think they need to add Savage Alliance raids or something. Not everyone who does Savage necessarily wants to do Ultimates so there are just massive gaps in content for the midcore audience.

3. The amount of content. So we've gotten less content in each patch as time has gone on. The quality of that content has gone up in my opinion, but FFXIV has seen a boom in popularity with Stormblood and even more so with Shadowbringers, but I feel like we don't really see those extra resources funneled back into FFXIV. I'm not super upset about this one, but I would like to see my sub money go to FFXIV's development and right now I don't feel like that's the case all the time. It's also possible that it's more of a personnel issue which would explain an increase in quality but a decrease in quantity.

4. Homogenization. So this one is kinda iffy, because the homogenization has led to FFXIV having some of the best balance in the MMO genre, but I think certain roles like Tanks and Healers are too homogenized. All tanks have a 1,2,3 combo. All healers have 1 dot, 1 single target nuke, and 1 AOE nuke. I think if they want tanks and healers to be more focused on dps, then they need to have good dps rotations. Gunbreaker is solid in this regard.
    I just want to say thank you for making this thread and seeing all the different opinions on this game and others take on the game as well.

I really dont mean to derail the conversation but I'm going to be streaming on twitch soon under the name Quicken81 and would like to invite all of you to have some amazing discussions on this topic once I make my discord channel and I'm really not trying to self promote but I, like many of you have varying opinions and I think it would make for great conversations.

I have an extreme passion for the gaming industry and hope we can come to an understanding that everyone's opinion is equal and can get lost with tone on a discussion board if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by quicknthedead View Post
    I just want to say thank you for making this thread and seeing all the different opinions on this game and others take on the game as well.

I really dont mean to derail the conversation but I'm going to be streaming on twitch soon under the name Quicken81 and would like to invite all of you to have some amazing discussions on this topic once I make my discord channel and I'm really not trying to self promote but I, like many of you have varying opinions and I think it would make for great conversations.

I have an extreme passion for the gaming industry and hope we can come to an understanding that everyone's opinion is equal and can get lost with tone on a discussion board if that makes sense.
    What time will you be streaming man?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    What time will you be streaming man?
    Once I start it will be around 7 - 7:30pm EST, should be soon as I'm fixing up a couple things to hopefully go smooth.

My biggest gripe would be that in order to access the latest content yoy have to do ALL story mode before. Last year just before covid happened I bought this pack consisting on the base game plus all the expansions up to shadowbringers for like 20 euro and I realized I couldn't get in Heavensward content before doing every single MSQ from ARR. By the time I unlocked Heavensward I was heavly outleveling the content.

I gave up in the end, mainly for that reason but the time I spent there was highly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by richterlevania3 View Post
    Two main problems that stopped me from playing:

Loading outdoor areas. This SUCKS big time and is unnacceptable in a MMO game made after 2001 or so. Even more glaring is that the first version of FFXIV didn't have this.

Can't use my mouse-wheel to bind keys. That's it. And no, I don't want to use AutoHotkey to do it, I want to use the in-game hotkey interface.

If they removed that annoying loading of outdoor areas I would be very tempted to relent and install AutoHotkey to play the game.
    If you have an SSD loadings are 3 to 5 seconds. I got no idea what you are complaining about. It's very easy and convenient to travel due to teleports.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Byrogan View Post
    I got told the ARR story is without a doubt the worst part of the game and it gets much, much better after that but how true is that and are any of the story's, mainly class, worth really paying attention to or am I going to be fine sort of speeding towards the expansions.
    It does get better, if you care. HW's didn't do it for me, bit Stormblood did.
    This game definitly has this problem of forcing everyone to play through the whole story and it's not like the questing is amazing. So, you have to get into the story to enjoy the game.
    That or as others sugest vary what you are doing. The games offers a plethora of different activities, much more than most mmorpg's and they all have their own little systems. It's easy to just deviate into something and fall in a rabbit whole. For example, i liked the gold saucer stuff. I really got into triple triad and collecting good cards and that took me into a journey around the world before i went back into the story.

The game definitly has a barrier of entry with this msq and how everything has story in the game. It's impossible to avoid it and if one can't enjoy it and is just skipping it all, they will feel bored and get a negative impression of the game before really opening it up.

Their low level experience and requirement to do the msq to get to the latest content is not set to change. Leveling will get easier but that is what the developers want the game to be. That is why it tends to clash so much with the typical WoW player that is used to be throtelled to the end game loop.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-05-08 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderella View Post
    My biggest gripe would be that in order to access the latest content yoy have to do ALL story mode before. Last year just before covid happened I bought this pack consisting on the base game plus all the expansions up to shadowbringers for like 20 euro and I realized I couldn't get in Heavensward content before doing every single MSQ from ARR. By the time I unlocked Heavensward I was heavly outleveling the content.

I gave up in the end, mainly for that reason but the time I spent there was highly enjoyable.
    Out of curiosity, if your time spent was highly enjoyable, why did you quit?

Eventually the leveling curve would even out, but your predicament would be the preferred one for me vs the alternative of getting to an MSQ quest with a level requirement you didn't quite meet and then be required to grind or level up to continue the story, which just adds even more hours to an already super tedious (yet enjoyable for the most part) MSQ progression.

I subbed for a month recently as a new player (i did play the ORIGINAL beta for the original launch, but that's not even comparable to ARR). I will probably pay for another monk to finish leveling and get what i paid for with the expac, but it isn't the full time MMO for me most likely.

There's a LOT i love about the game, anda lot i dont love. I feel like the questing 1-50 was absolutely a chore, even tho it went by relatively quickly for an mmorpg... i also just couldn't get invested in the story and felt like those mini cut scenes went on forever even when u were slam skipping it. I hear the story is good in the expansions, but what i saw of ARR 1-50 story didn't impress me. Still, i'll see what the expacs have to offer before i judge them.

On the very pro side of thing, it feels more like a FF game more than an MMORPG in some ways. That's a good thing, the music, the mount music, the characters, the combat, the mobs.... it is very final fantasy, so if you want a final fantasy game, dip your toes into ff14 for a month or 2 and give it a try.

flying... I went back it to years ago for flying only to learn how it's done and be like wow ... I didn't think anyone could make unlocking flying worse than blizzard but FF14 managed to.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    flying... I went back it to years ago for flying only to learn how it's done and be like wow ... I didn't think anyone could make unlocking flying worse than blizzard but FF14 managed to.
    How? Blizzard makes you wait months to unlock it while you only have to find the aether currents in FFXIV which takes a few hours at most and then you are free to fly for 2 years.

Really?? I find that FF 14 you can get it pretty fast after you do the quests and find the aetherial spots. Wow you have to wait until whatever patch they implement it in which typically is about a year lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    How? Blizzard makes you wait months to unlock it while you only have to find the aether currents in FFXIV which takes a few hours at most and then you are free to fly for 2 years.
    Really?? I find that FF 14 you can get it pretty fast after you do the quests and find the aetherial spots. Wow you have to wait until whatever patch they implement it in which typically is about a year lately.
    WoW's was delayed but i always had the stuff to get it passively so to me FF14's seems worse.

WoW's was delayed but i always had the stuff to get it passively so to me FF14's seems worse.
    I'm sorry I'm kind of confused, WoW's hasn't been delaying flying, they intentionally stated they didn't want to add flying until later In the expansion and after you get faction rep to revered I believe, to unlock it. I'm not sure how it works in shadowlands 100%.

At the end of the day you have your own opinion and I can understand why people dislike it.

I'm sorry I'm kind of confused, WoW's hasn't been delaying flying, they intentionally stated they didn't want to add flying until later In the expansion and after you get faction rep to revered I believe, to unlock it. I'm not sure how it works in shadowlands 100%.

At the end of the day you have your own opinion and I can understand why people dislike it.
    SL is not in yet but to get it you do the covenant campaign which needs to be done anyways. I don't like blizzard's way but I guess to me I'm not being sent out to find crystals/other quests just to fly.. if that makes sense. I've been debating trying FF14 again so maybe it will make more sense if i give it another go myself.

The combat doesn't feel as fluid as WOW's

SL is not in yet but to get it you do the covenant campaign which needs to be done anyways. I don't like blizzard's way but I guess to me I'm not being sent out to find crystals/other quests just to fly.. if that makes sense. I've been debating trying FF14 again so maybe it will make more sense if i give it another go myself.
    Yeah I know the covenant ranks you got gave some slight stat increases and unlocked various stuff with your covenant but do you have to max rank it??

Yeah give it a go and if you like it you like it again, the game is not for everyone so I totally get why people don't like aspects of it, to each their own and keep gaming!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Yeah I agree with this and I know they give you ogcd's but I wonder if this was something done intentionally because the old 1.0 version used it and don't know if they could have fixed that part of the game. Wow feels more fluid out of all the MMOs

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Only reason why wow feels fluid is that you have 3 skills that you use actively

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    The Daily Roulette almost always leads me to Titan and Garuda even as max level
    For me, it's usually one of these 5 WoL, Hades, Emerald, Ruby and Tsukuyomi for trials