Page 1 of 75
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What problems do you have with Final Fantasy 14?

So I love FF14. It is the first MMO since WoW to hold my interest beyond a few months. But it does have some serious issues that have become more apparent the longer I play the game imo. So what issues do you have with the game?

1. The inventory. I honestly find this to be absolutely unacceptable. You're expected to keep multiple sets of gear for all the jobs you have plus sets you like the appearance of because there's no appearances system like in WoW or GW2. Despite this the inventory feels extremely limiting and the only way to improve it is to buy retainers for a monthly fee. I'm definitely a hoarder, but I've never had inventory problems in WoW, SWTOR, or ESO, so this is definitely a FFXIV problem and not a me problem.

2. Hardcore/Midcore endgame content. So Savage and Ultimate raids are great. I think the game does have decent hardcore content. The issue I have is the X.1, X.3, and X.5 patches. These patches introduce a new Alliance Raid and sometimes a new Ultimate fight, but for Savage raiders you're basically left with 4 bosses every 7+ months. That's just not enough. I think they need to add Savage Alliance raids or something. Not everyone who does Savage necessarily wants to do Ultimates so there are just massive gaps in content for the midcore audience.

3. The amount of content. So we've gotten less content in each patch as time has gone on. The quality of that content has gone up in my opinion, but FFXIV has seen a boom in popularity with Stormblood and even more so with Shadowbringers, but I feel like we don't really see those extra resources funneled back into FFXIV. I'm not super upset about this one, but I would like to see my sub money go to FFXIV's development and right now I don't feel like that's the case all the time. It's also possible that it's more of a personnel issue which would explain an increase in quality but a decrease in quantity.

4. Homogenization. So this one is kinda iffy, because the homogenization has led to FFXIV having some of the best balance in the MMO genre, but I think certain roles like Tanks and Healers are too homogenized. All tanks have a 1,2,3 combo. All healers have 1 dot, 1 single target nuke, and 1 AOE nuke. I think if they want tanks and healers to be more focused on dps, then they need to have good dps rotations. Gunbreaker is solid in this regard.

3+ Year Old Account
    I only have 1 problem with final fantasy XIV. Leveling a job after your first one is insanely boring. Main reason I stopped playing. End game is a little lacking.

At least during stormblood it was. Idk about now.

many of the same problems with retail

also its doesnt feel fluid

Leveling in a group the first time is probably the worst experience I've had in an MMO. A ton of the MSQ's are done in a personal instance and cant be done in a group. The whole ARR MSQ is boring even if you watch the story. The story isn't bad, but the lack of voice animation and the bad visual acting makes it a bore.

it feels too childish

art is very oriental oriented

it reminds me of old mmo from 2005

The game engine/framework. All of it is so limited, the zones are small and disconnected, invisible walls everywhere, the interactions boil down to mostly static assets with a floating light, mob spawns are very rigid and highly regulated, new stuff like the revised glamour system need to be worked into the game in ways that always feel hacked-in, the interface and the slow netcode (part of the reason for slow combat), etc. It all comes back to the way the game was originally built and how it was behind its time even back then. For me that is the single biggest flaw of an otherwise awsome game. Is a crying shame, the game could be so much more if they could just rework it into a less limiting platform.

Oh and their web presence is dog shit. Seriously, why can't the japanese webdesign to save their lives? I've seen better interfaces on line displays.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-02-24 at 05:03 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Walking Tafficcones and genderlocked Bunniebimbos...

Also: Instances are... boring? Open world SP story is ok with millions of fillerstuff.

Like: Gather up the forces to kill this huge monster. Allright we have everyhting. Now lets spends a week gathering stuff for a cake and throw a party for some reason.
    And soooooooo much stupid walking. Also youo have no reason to play anther character becuase this will just make evrything harder for you

I mostly agree with the OP. The amount of content is fine IMHO, but my playtime is limited so I don't really consume it very fast.

Inventory management is just terrible. I don't want to do any crafting because I don't want to gamble my inventory windows.
    Glamours being locked to gear not to the job is really annoying in a game where jobs like Dancer and Machinist share gear.

They haven't changed their formula at all, it's the same in every way. Patch cycle, all added content, even things right down to the number of bosses in a raid. They're too afraid to take any chances and do anything other than what they have done sine ARR. Complete lack of a single ounce of innovation whatsoever. The housing system is garbage as well, and the "limits" on them basically force people who have a ton of housing items to keep themselves subbed else lose it all. I have a problem with them putting their servers on west coast NA, when NA is fucking massive and the vast majority of the population resides on or near the east coast. Couldn't even put them in Texas or something. This is especially an issue due to the focus on double weaving oGCD abilities, but evidently they thought NA was the size of Japan.

Still my favorite MMO, but it's an issue that's never been changed.
    Last edited by La; 2021-02-24 at 04:39 PM.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    They haven't changed their formula at all, it's the same in every way. Patch cycle, all added content, even things right down to the number of bosses in a raid. They're too afraid to take any chances and do anything other than what they have done sine ARR. Complete lack of a single ounce of innovation whatsoever. The housing system is garbage as well, and the "limits" on them basically force people who have a ton of housing items to keep themselves subbed else lose it all.

Still my favorite MMO, but it's an issue that's never been changed.
    They hardly take many risk in general with the whole Final Fantasy franchise but that may be what keeps the franchise going for so many years.

This is gonna sound really superficial but the lack of voice acting in ARR makes it really difficult to get to the supposedly good parts of the game's story for me.

I made a post regarding this once, and it is still the ONLY reason I don't play FF14: There are waaaay too many buttons to press. I hate games where u have to be press more than 10 buttons in your rotation (Situationals and buffs not counted), I love simple gameplay and hard boss mechanics! - Maybe that is why I like old wow - sadly the content is not difficult
    The weak fear the shadows... fear controls them!

The questing makes it difficult to enjoy the story. Sometimes I feel like I'm being drip-fed interesting story bits in-between hours and hours worth of back and forth, mind-numbingly boring questing. Expansions can also feel like big patches instead with the lack of big new features. They play it too safe.

It is the flashy combat and fun jobs that really stand out to me. The rest is kind of typical MMO fluff with Final Fantasy paint, which I think is a shame.

Mostly the limitations that seem to be attribuable to terrible server design.
    Limited inventory, lack of a proper collection system for mogs, including a way to preview them without having to click on every single one of the 400 or so items to try on.
    Also likely caused by their weak servers, all of the many customization features getting mixed together, such as face/horns/(hroth)hair/beard/scars all being set as a single option.

Other than that, I wish there was something similar to m+, and I have simply not found a FC that I click with like my wow guild.

Oh, did I mention hats and genders for the shadowbringer races?

I heard there are minute long rotations and I've seen videos where people have like 50 skills on their skill bars. No thanks.

my biggest issue playing it so far has been how slow you get abilities. though i am an 11 year wow veteran so i'm used to playing with full kits. my bard is currently at lvl 50 and i'm feeling rounded out now. but i did try ff14 once 2 years ago and stopped playing by lvl 19 because the gameplay was rather boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Compher View Post
    I heard there are minute long rotations and I've seen videos where people have like 50 skills on their skill bars. No thanks.
    Not quite 50 (though it is still a lot, not gonna lie), and the "minute long rotations" isn't exactly accurate. Some classes have ability cycles based on key ability cool downs that take a minute or more to come to full power.

Like the Summoner, it has an ability that requires 2 charges in order to use. You only get a charge after using a 30 second ability, so it takes a minute to acquire those 2 charges.

Even with that many buttons though, it doesn't feel much different than WoW IMO as far as how many times you have to press a button (the GCD is longer so you press them a little less often in a given time period), the difference is that you just have to have more buttons keybound because you have more abilities to press, rather than hitting the same ability more often.

There are no rotations that take anywhere close to a minute to complete. It's just like any other game where you have your main rotation during "down time" and then a somewhat different rotation during burst periods when you use your cool downs and really need to push the DPS, or the cool down itself alters game play enough to change it up, like causing abilities with a cast time to be instant instead.

If you're at all interested there is a free trial for you to check it out. It's not nearly as intimidating as it looks. If it's not for you, it's not for you though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    my biggest issue playing it so far has been how slow you get abilities. though i am an 11 year wow veteran so i'm used to playing with full kits. my bard is currently at lvl 50 and i'm feeling rounded out now. but i did try ff14 once 2 years ago and stopped playing by lvl 19 because the gameplay was rather boring.
    This is sadly the main issue with the game. It takes a long time for classes to feel really fleshed out.

I personally didn't mind it much because I was invested in the story and knew I'd get there eventually, but can completely understand people's disdain for it if they're focus is more on game play, especially at early levels.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Also youo have no reason to play anther character becuase this will just make evrything harder for you
    That's a plus as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    Heavily agree with this. Goddamnit Yoshi-p, games aren't meant to take 100 hours for the gameplay to become decent.

Also, quests up to lvl 50 seriously need even more trimming. Dancing to lettuces ain't fun and going all over the world to cook some food while Titan's wreaking havoc is so irresponsible
    Last edited by Dudenoso; 2021-02-24 at 06:03 PM.

Honestly, the only things that annoy me are the hangups from its origin. Unfortunately, this affect a wide swath of the game.

The lack of a robust endgame raiding structure would also annoy me if, (a) I didn't play WoW simultaneously, and (b) I had the time that I did to dedicate that I did in my early 20s.

FFXIV is an objectively terrible game. Everything you mentioned is why it's a failure of an MMORPG.

Kudos to dat boi Yoshi P & his gang of hooligans - they gave it an honest shot. Unfortunately though, they picked up a polished turd.

The nail in the coffin was the laughably & irrefutably terrible Bozjan Southern Front.

People asked for a reimagining of Eureka that accurately captured the spirit of it while bringing forth new ideas and instead were served a dull and lifeless zone littered with soulless mobs that serve no other purpose than to chase you for miles before their aggro leash breaks.

I pray to our father in heaven, Jehovah, that FFXIV is shut down to protect innocent gamers from having their MMORPG experience sullied with a half-baked experience.