Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    McConnell's words are meaningless the fact is he voted in favor of Trump, Cheney voted for Marjorie Taylor Greene after getting pressured. We've all heard it during the last 4 years the off the record and behind the scenes talks saying if this was held behind closed doors Trump would lose. However 2020 has changed things there is now 1000s of congress people who own their seat to Trump and truly believe in him. In 2022 Trump will strengthen his grip even further as primary challenges backed by Trump will be taking these people on that will be the real test of Trump's hold on power.

    Let's also be realistic the party will never split they will all fall in line instead that's what the right wing does they aren't gun ho on the whole independent thinking / morals thing versus power evidence by ironically McConnell.
    I think the GOP splintering is something within the realm of realistic. Outside chance, of course, but there is a perfect storm brewing for it right now. Your point about Trump just seizing more control over the GOP and increasing their gains in 2022 is also probable. Very scary too.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I think the GOP splintering is something within the realm of realistic. Outside chance, of course, but there is a perfect storm brewing for it right now. Your point about Trump just seizing more control over the GOP and increasing their gains in 2022 is also probable. Very scary too.
    The two party system makes any of the parties splitting highly unlikely especially since the right values power above all else. The hope that the GOP members who are silently complaining about Trump have is that Trump is boggled down by lawsuits and fades into the background. I don't see that happening because politics is the only way Trump has to make money now.

  3. #83
    No traitor party civil war they are all pretty lock step with attacking any one who has not accepted trump as their lord and savior.

  4. #84
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The two party system makes any of the parties splitting highly unlikely especially since the right values power above all else. The hope that the GOP members who are silently complaining about Trump have is that Trump is boggled down by lawsuits and fades into the background. I don't see that happening because politics is the only way Trump has to make money now.
    I agree with you, and there wouldn't be a worry at all, except that Trump is an irrational sociopath, and will seek power above all else, including dismissing the logic of NOT splitting the party so as to retain power. Trump does what he wants, and like Hitler, is surrounded by sycophants. So he will only get "advice" and "recommendations" that agree with his already determined ideas. That - or the people around him will fuel more irrational ideas.

    We know he's starting up his own cable channel. We also know that the Trumps have secured high-ranking posts in the GOP Party Leadership. What's not clear is whether he will try to hold onto reigns of the GOP or start his own thing.

  5. #85
    Titan Lenonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    13,468
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I think the GOP splintering is something within the realm of realistic. Outside chance, of course, but there is a perfect storm brewing for it right now. Your point about Trump just seizing more control over the GOP and increasing their gains in 2022 is also probable. Very scary too.
    I dunno -- if there is one thing the GOP has shown is they desire power over anything else. There is internal strife over who will control the party but I think they'll fall in line behind whomever before they splinter and lose all their power.

    We already see this in action -- McConnell's actions embody the whole "I'm fighting for control of this party with rhetoric but I sure ain't taking any direct actions against it."

  6. #86
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    57,795
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    also why is anyone talking about democrats lol
    Same reason Tim Pool said he voted for Ron Paul in 2012, before Trump’s win... but, has been claiming to have voted for Obama, since Trump won. Grifters...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I think the GOP splintering is something within the realm of realistic. Outside chance, of course, but there is a perfect storm brewing for it right now. Your point about Trump just seizing more control over the GOP and increasing their gains in 2022 is also probable. Very scary too.
    The republican party isn't going to splinter into two big competing pieces. What may happen is that after Trump finishes his takeover of the party and installs his family members and lackeys into top positions within the party hierarchy, that some small moderate-ish parts splinter away. Its highly unlikely that those splinters would be big enough to run candidates but there would be some voter loss as some moderates jump ship, and either stop voting, vote third party, or vote moderate democrat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    I don't think I ever hide the fact I was a national socialist. The fact I am a German one is what technically makes me a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    You haven't seen nothing yet, we trumpsters will definitely be getting some cool uniforms soon I hope.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I agree with you, and there wouldn't be a worry at all, except that Trump is an irrational sociopath, and will seek power above all else, including dismissing the logic of NOT splitting the party so as to retain power. Trump does what he wants, and like Hitler, is surrounded by sycophants. So he will only get "advice" and "recommendations" that agree with his already determined ideas. That - or the people around him will fuel more irrational ideas.

    We know he's starting up his own cable channel. We also know that the Trumps have secured high-ranking posts in the GOP Party Leadership. What's not clear is whether he will try to hold onto reigns of the GOP or start his own thing.
    That's why the majority of the party who aren't part of the new crop are placating him, there is no civil war they have decided to give up so they won't risk splitting the party. Lindsey Graham was openly talking against it on Fox News, Trump is an irrational sociopath however he is greedy. There is no profit from splitting the party, he gets more adulation and adoration by eating the party from the inside.

    Trump is like those scary parasites that eat the host and possesses it to kill itself so it can survive and pass onto something else. I don't think Trump is done hollowing out the GOP just yet.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    ROFLMAO, considering the fact that I wasn't a fan of even Obama after the first term due to his policy failures maybe you should stop talking out of your ass. Trump's policies were horrible that's not even going into his personal history, I will give you credit for not defending his links to Epstein but you were cheering everything else.
    I believe your sincerity as much as you believe mine.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I believe your sincerity as much as you believe mine.
    I have the past posts to prove it yours on the other hand just keep exposing you for who you are.

  11. #91
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    57,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I believe your sincerity as much as you believe mine.
    11 posts in Trump thread, in nearly 4 years. Well over a hundred posts in Biden thread, in less than 2 months. The mater is not up for debate... in fact, this thread is not about democrats at all.

    As I pointed out, this is an example of there being no civil war in GOP.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    11 posts in Trump thread, in nearly 4 years. Well over a hundred posts in Biden thread, in less than 2 months. The mater is not up for debate... in fact, this thread is not about democrats at all.

    As I pointed out, this is an example of there being no civil war in GOP.
    yup just like the devil Trump doesn't refund souls, hope those judges were worth it.

  13. #93
    GOP certainly has some infighting going on but not a full civil war. But they have the old trusty the use when they are in power, not in power, trying to get into power, or falling out of power... and that is..... DO NOTHING! So they can always rally behind that. Yup, the GOP plan of do nothing and say no to everything Democrats think of and shelf everything their people come up with never to be spoken about again has gotten them this far. It will certainly be the strategy this go around. Because it is the only play they got in the WHOLE PLAYBOOK. Just do nothing.. blame others.. repeat.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    GOP certainly has some infighting going on but not a full civil war. But they have the old trusty the use when they are in power, not in power, trying to get into power, or falling out of power... and that is..... DO NOTHING! So they can always rally behind that. Yup, the GOP plan of do nothing and say no to everything Democrats think of and shelf everything their people come up with never to be spoken about again has gotten them this far. It will certainly be the strategy this go around. Because it is the only play they got in the WHOLE PLAYBOOK. Just do nothing.. blame others.. repeat.
    It's what they used to do in California. They made a mess of the budget process and anything else they could mess up. UNTIL - they lost veto power over any of the bills. Now California has its problems, and corporations have adjusted to democratic rule, but for the most part California is doing pretty good all things considered. For one they have a huge budget surplus - something not many states can brag about.

    So basically democrats need to increase their margin in the House, and get 62+ seats in the Senate. And keep 62+ seats in the Senate election after election. Yeah I know that 60 is really the bare minimum needed, but it sure is nice to have a bit of a cushion.

    This has to be the goal. Keep things afloat during the time that McConnell can actually veto things and has some power, and gradually (not THAT gradually) increase the number of democratic Senators. It's a lot to ask, but at this point it's the only way.

    In the meantime, work with corporate America to get democratic principles implemented anyways. If all of the major companies have a $15 an hour minimum, even in rural parts of red states, then well maybe that's good enough for now. Then of course small businesses will whine "all the good employees move on to higher paying jobs". DUHHHHHHH

    And racism and sexism issues that are so important to tackle kind of have to be done at more local levels anyways. Minecraft has a little saying (in yellow on my computer) on its main log on screen. One saying was something like "Teach your friends about the evils of racism." This repeated over and over in multiple ways goes further in changing American culture than just about anything that Congress can do anyways.

  15. #95
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,130
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    It's what they used to do in California. They made a mess of the budget process and anything else they could mess up. UNTIL - they lost veto power over any of the bills. Now California has its problems, and corporations have adjusted to democratic rule, but for the most part California is doing pretty good all things considered. For one they have a huge budget surplus - something not many states can brag about.

    So basically democrats need to increase their margin in the House, and get 62+ seats in the Senate. And keep 62+ seats in the Senate election after election. Yeah I know that 60 is really the bare minimum needed, but it sure is nice to have a bit of a cushion.

    This has to be the goal. Keep things afloat during the time that McConnell can actually veto things and has some power, and gradually (not THAT gradually) increase the number of democratic Senators. It's a lot to ask, but at this point it's the only way.

    In the meantime, work with corporate America to get democratic principles implemented anyways. If all of the major companies have a $15 an hour minimum, even in rural parts of red states, then well maybe that's good enough for now. Then of course small businesses will whine "all the good employees move on to higher paying jobs". DUHHHHHHH

    And racism and sexism issues that are so important to tackle kind of have to be done at more local levels anyways. Minecraft has a little saying (in yellow on my computer) on its main log on screen. One saying was something like "Teach your friends about the evils of racism." This repeated over and over in multiple ways goes further in changing American culture than just about anything that Congress can do anyways.
    And that 60+ Senate Democratic majority is almost impossible - even if we put in D.C. and Puerto Rico, adding four Democratic Senators - gaining the others just can't be done. We had the biggest turnout in history and gained one seat in the general, and then two in a ridiculously unique special run-off election. 60 won't happen without a dramatic injury/splintering to the GOP.

  16. #96
    McConnel said today he will support Trump in 2024. So again what civil war? They are all Trumpists, aka fascists, aka The Republican Party.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And that 60+ Senate Democratic majority is almost impossible - even if we put in D.C. and Puerto Rico, adding four Democratic Senators - gaining the others just can't be done. We had the biggest turnout in history and gained one seat in the general, and then two in a ridiculously unique special run-off election. 60 won't happen without a dramatic injury/splintering to the GOP.
    There were 59 democratic Senators during the first two years of Obama's first term, and 60 for a very short period of time. And that was pre-Trump.

    A lot of the historic turnout was a one time only event for Trump, eventually leading to the failed terrorist attack on the capitol.

    It was deemed IMPOSSIBLE for democrats to have veto proof margins in the California state houses. Until it actually happened. Basically, republicans made such a mess of California, even as a minority party, that people left the republican party and made California more blue than was thought possible. And oh yeah, people that LEFT California have already made Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico blue, and are in the process of turning Arizona and Texas blue as well. Oregon and Washington were once purplish. Not anymore.

    Right now, republicans on a nationwide basis are making a similar mess of the country. Senate republicans aren't talking about coming up with reasonable compromises that would make the stimulus better or more efficient, they are talking about completely opposing it. In the past, republicans really did work hard to fight social distancing and wearing masks in public, and now 500k deaths are their fault, with more to come.

    Meanwhile, McConnell can be paraphrased to be saying to Trump supporters: we are 100% completely and totally AGAINST EVER providing you with government aid, and will always oppose it with every breath we take.

    When people here say that people making minimum wage deserve what they get because they are lazy, they are explicitly saying TRUMP SUPPORTERS ARE LAZY JERKS THAT DESERVE TO LIVE IN EXTREME POVERTY.

    Quite a few Trump supporters are making close to minimum wage.

    The same anger that Trump used to fuel the recent terrorist attack will turn against republicans, similar to what happened in California. It's hard to hate people that are doing what they can to send you money. And it's hard to fully support people that insult you and work so hard to prevent you from getting some good breaks.

    And this is before demographics continue to kick in...

  18. #98
    no, leftism is a cancer
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Naiattavain View Post
    no, leftism is a cancer
    In 5 words you described perfectly and exactly why republicans need to be flat out defeated to the point that they can't even veto anything.

    We 100% get it. All you have is insults, and can only be defeated, never worked with or reasoned with.

  20. #100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •