Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    McConnel said today he will support Trump in 2024. So again what civil war? They are all Trumpists, aka fascists, aka The Republican Party.
    Basically this the leadership of the GOP has officially backtracked like they always do, Trump has won the entire "civil war" narrative was always a scam they have no morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Basically this the leadership of the GOP has officially backtracked like they always do, Trump has won the entire "civil war" narrative was always a scam they have no morals.
    This will shrink the republican party anyways. Moderate republicans will just start leaving the party.

The good news is that corporate America will help decimate the remaining republican party.
    The bad news is that the price for this aid will be a pliant democratic party.

On the other hand, although the minimum wage looks like it won't get passed, possibly in any form, through Congress, corporate America is doing their part by just flat out increasing wages. Costco recently announced increasing THEIR minimum wage from $15 to $16 an hour.

People in Alabama can fight all they want for $7.25 an hour wages, and it seems like they will win that battle, at least for now. But a large portion of the rest of the country is moving forward anyways. Republicans were absolutely totally successful in moving power from the US government to corporate America. This just means that power politics means getting corporations more involved.

For example: up and coming Disney star says some really stupid things (she compared being conservative in America to Jews getting put in ovens in Nazi Germany I think), and now she is no longer a part of the Disney team. So instead of moving one district away from Marjorie Greene and becoming a US Representative, she is taking the good fight to Disney. An endeavor that will further embarrass her, and solidify Disney's decision to let her go.

US cultural views are shifting. There has never been so much favorable media and discussions about increasing wages for Americans. The main message has always been about how high wages for American workers is anti-business. Republicans are trying this same approach, but it is working less well. Unfortunately, it will take patience for these shifts to turn into action.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    This will shrink the republican party anyways. Moderate republicans will just start leaving the party.

The good news is that corporate America will help decimate the remaining republican party.

On the other hand, although the minimum wage looks like it won't get passed, possibly in any form, through Congress, corporate America is doing their part by just flat out increasing wages. Costco recently announced increasing THEIR minimum wage from $15 to $16 an hour.

People in Alabama can fight all they want for $7.25 an hour wages, and it seems like they will win that battle, at least for now. But a large portion of the rest of the country is moving forward anyways. Republicans were absolutely totally successful in moving power from the US government to corporate America. This just means that power politics means getting corporations more involved.

For example: up and coming Disney star says some really stupid things (she compared being conservative in America to Jews getting put in ovens in Nazi Germany I think), and now she is no longer a part of the Disney team. So instead of moving one district away from Marjorie Greene and becoming a US Representative, she is taking the good fight to Disney. An endeavor that will further embarrass her, and solidify Disney's decision to let her go.

US cultural views are shifting. There has never been so much favorable media and discussions about increasing wages for Americans. The main message has always been about how high wages for American workers is anti-business. Republicans are trying this same approach, but it is working less well. Unfortunately, it will take patience for these shifts to turn into action.
    I'm not sure about this.

Shrink, possibly but I and others pointed out that the largest group of non-voters, or unregistered voters is uneducated white voters. Yes, I understand demographics point to change, but it is slow and still that does not mean the all got say the Dems or lets say another party to be nonpartisan here to weaken what is the Republican Party right now.

Also figure that at least until 2000 which they hyper partisanship was ramped up that the Republican Party can easily rule through the minority. First the Senate is the easiest with the number. The number I have seen is the Republican Senators 15-20 million less people.. The House can be manipulated through gerrymandering again the fact of many states having an almost 50/50 or majority Dem voters but fewer seats in State and Federal. Electoral College is well a we know what it is.

This one is interesting. In the end it does call come down to money and sadly much of that is tied to corporations or the wealthy. These people can affect and have influence on the GOP, strictly by speaking with their check book. The horrible part is they are so engrained or believe this is the party of low taxes and deregulation to make them more rich they will still give money.

The Lincoln Project (yes, they are problematic) and Steve Schmidt in particular started calling out corporations and some openly stopped donating. The problem and cynic in me say they will wait for awhile to die down then donate again. Why? The obvious is the want influence over all politicians. I'm just not confident in corporations and the wealthy wanting those tax cuts over fascism. Idk, they might but will it be too late. For me they really like to play with fire.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

-Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    <snip>
    I agree 100% with your skepticism and the points you made. There are a huge number of things that can still go wrong for the US. Having said that, I stand by one important fact that is enduring that I think will turn the tide.

The culture of the country is moving towards the needs of the younger generations

This is actually a SEISMIC change in so many things. It is happening way too slowly.

*HOPE*: The 75 million people that voted Trump is sort of a last stand for a country dominated by racist white males.

The country is openly mocking Trump and his supporters repeatedly and gleefully, and the main response of the US is: they get what they deserve. HOW CAN THEY STILL BE SUPPORTING TRUMP ???

Corporate America is pushing hard for younger themes. Black Lives Matter is being supported by companies that are going out of their way to make their support known. Pushback against the minimum wage increase is weaker than ever, and multiple companies have gone out of their way to make announcements about how their own minimum wage is $15 or above. President Biden is getting a LOT of push back for not eliminating at least SOME student loan debt. Women who talk about gender inequality are no longer being mocked and are being taken a lot more seriously.

These are all HUGE changes in the way that the US as a whole deals with various issues.

Finally: the big battles in US politics are basically Sanders and AOC vs Manchin and Silema. What this means is: where the US goes is determined by battles in which republicans are not even in the equation at all. To make this a permanent win, democrats just have to get good results from these battles.

Good results can be found in many ways. If no minimum wage bills are ever passed, but almost all jobs are paying $15 an hour or more anyways, then democrats should ABSOLUTELY take credit for these wage increases. If the Green New Deal never even gets out of committee, but US corporations take major steps toward reducing their carbon footprint and moving towards renewable energy, then democrats should ABSOLUTELY take credit for these actions. If racist cops get fired - defunded - across the country, and get replaced by cops that do not take pleasure in killing blacks, then democrats should ABSOLUTELY take credit for these changes.

So I am skeptical of things changing for the better in the US. But I am hopeful, and think that there are many signs that this hope is justified. I am frustrated at the pace of things, like many other people, and hope that progress doesn't end up crawling along way too slowly. All we can do individually is to fight as hard as possible in the meantime.

And oh yeah, don't forget to have some fun and enjoy life along the way

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Care you actually address the topic instead of spamming unrelated nonsense?
    follow your leftist leaders to your own destruction idiot.
    “Choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life” “Logic will get you from A to Z; Imagination will get you everywhere.”

Quote Originally Posted by Naiattavain View Post
    Well, someone is in a foul mood. Were you one of those chumps at the Capitol Jan 6th?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

Just for the record don't blame leftists for your incoming infraction ok?

Someone got put on the wait-list for CPAC....

But seriously, this is the embodiment of the Trumpkin. And there are 20+ million of them.

Ah, so, you still think that "leftism" is destroying the country, DESPITE all of the evidence of Republicans destroying the economy for over 100 years, and Democrats fixing it. And literally all of the social progress, has been made by liberals. Yeah, not surprising that you don't know shit about reality.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/don...nators-primary

And Donnie Jr. is already talking about primarying Republicans no sufficiently loyal to Trump. Let the "not a civil war" continue.

no, leftism is a cancer
    In the English Speaking world? Yes. It's really just sheep dogs for the Democrats, so Neo-Libs who have worse hygiene aka Vaush. But the real truth is there isn't a Left in any real terms. There is a kind of synthetic marketing demographic but there is no politics to it. All America has is Liberals and Super Liberals. There are no Leftists, and anyone who says they are is delusional or trying to sell you on their patreon or get Twitch donations or worse.... get you to vote for Elizabeth Warren.

The GOP though really has no future that I can see. While sure, they could go Working Class but it is hard to imagine they could pull it off. Basically I cannot see the party that birthed Reaganism ever fully rejecting it even as the Democratic party has basically taken it wholesale from them and made a lot of people embrace the core philosophy but with different aesthetics. There are no Republicans articulating a really strong message out of the current stance of being simply a pale shittier husk of what the Democrats already are. It is the only direction for them that avoids oblivion, but good luck getting there. With Cruz? Gaetz? Hawley? Not likely. Romney? He'd have to take his former self out back and shoot it? Mitch? The dudes a Lich incapable of dying. DeSantis opposed the min wage hike in his own state so good luck with that one. The fake and utterly useless Libertarian economics is as unlikely to depart the GOP as it is to depart the DNC. Though if any party abandons it it'll be the GOP, either because it decides it wants to live and change course, or because it collapsed and has no voters.
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2021-02-27 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    In the English Speaking world? Yes. It's really just sheep dogs for the Democrats, so Neo-Libs who have worse hygiene aka Vaush. But the real truth is there isn't a Left in any real terms. There is a kind of synthetic marketing demographic but there is no politics to it. All America has is Liberals and Super Liberals. There are no Leftists, and anyone who says they are is delusional or trying to sell you on their patreon or get Twitch donations or worse.... get you to vote for Elizabeth Warren.

The GOP though really has no future that I can see. While sure, they could go Working Class but it is hard to imagine they could pull it off. Basically I cannot see the party that birthed Reaganism ever fully rejecting it even as the Democratic party has basically taken it wholesale from them and made a lot of people embrace the core philosophy but with different aesthetics. There are no Republicans articulating a really strong message out of the current stance of being simply a pale shittier husk of what the Democrats already are. It is the only direction for them that avoids oblivion, but good luck getting there. With Cruz? Gaetz? Hawley? Not likely. Romney? He'd have to take his former self out back and shoot it? Mitch? The dudes a Lich incapable of dying. DeSantis opposed the min wage hike in his own state so good luck with that one. The fake and utterly useless Libertarian economics is as unlikely to depart the GOP as it is to depart the DNC. Though if any party abandons it it'll be the GOP, either because it decides it wants to live and change course, or because it collapsed and has no voters.
    How does Trump fit into this?

Edit: Exxon is not working class... Coal barons are not working class... this is less an opinion, more of a defense mechanism.

Defense mechanisms in psychology: What are they?
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...nse-mechanisms
    1. Denial
    2. Distortion
    3. Projection
    4. Dissociation
    5. Repression
    6. Reaction formation
    7. Displacement
    8. Intellectualization
    One can ask... what could possibly cause mass trauma, so that we have 75 million people, having their defense mechanisms triggered in a political space?

You have Fox News, Newsmax, OANN, clear channel and just about the entire right wing news feed, aimed at keeping you afraid. Aimed at touching not your rational mind, but triggering defense mechanisms.

I’m not a Trump supporter...
    Trump did win the election...
    while democrats attacked democracy...
    Antifa attacked the capital...
    I don’t remember Trump supporters ever talking about overthrowing government...
    That’s okay, because March 4th is next week...
    Fuck Mike Pence, that evil sob...
    One can reason that such actions are simply unavoidable, when society has us bottled up...

You want me to do it with covid? Environment? Medicare for All? This is why there is no civil war... they are bound by fear and are trapped in a cycle of defense mechanisms, being triggered by right wing rhetoric.

Edit 2: There is no source, because this is my opinion and am opining it up to disagreement. I think it’s solid...

Edit 3: To quote a favorite of our friend @Hammerfest, Mike Dice, when tweeting about Mr Potato, becoming Potato... it’s time for red states to succeed... this is GOP... both sides of GOP...
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-02-27 at 02:41 AM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Civil war? Nah. There are just far more that have gone completely mask off these days because they've realised they don't need them anymore, half the country is warped enough to be on board with the disgusting shit they do and say.

They seem to be drowning out any actual vaguely sane voices on that side of the government.

The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    The United States has only ever prospered when democrats run the place for... like, the past 70 years. I would look forward to such, by comparison to the alternative, stable and magnanimous leadership quite eagerly.

- - - Updated - - -

And I’m very hopeful this backfires on them colossally.

I hope all these stewing lawsuits come to a head quite rapidly. We’ll see what Trump’s “support” is worth when he’s poor and potentially clapped in irons.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And I’m very hopeful this backfires on them colossally.

I hope all these stewing lawsuits come to a head quite rapidly. We’ll see what Trump’s “support” is worth when he’s poor and potentially clapped in irons.
    Sadly I do not see Trump being poor as his supporters keep funneling millions of dollars to him, he made 1.6 billion from his presidency and hundreds of millions on the stop the steal scam. That's the reason Trump is never leaving politics he can't make money anywhere else and you have millions of suckers dying to give him money.

Sadly I do not see Trump being poor as his supporters keep funneling millions of dollars to him, he made 1.6 billion from his presidency and hundreds of millions on the stop the steal scam. That's the reason Trump is never leaving politics he can't make money anywhere else and you have millions of suckers dying to give him money.
    I don’t know how effectively he’ll be able to siphon money off to pay off his legal fees and various banks calling in hundred million dollar loans.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I don’t know how effectively he’ll be able to siphon money off to pay off his legal fees and various banks calling in hundred million dollar loans.
    There are disclaimers on all his fundraisers that money given certain limits will be used for other purposes, that's how he has made millions off this. That's not even going into how all his operations have "consulting" fees to people with last names ending with Trump.

It's America First vs Neocons
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Joe who?

There are disclaimers on all his fundraisers that money given certain limits will be used for other purposes, that's how he has made millions off this. That's not even going into how all his operations have "consulting" fees to people with last names ending with Trump.
    I'm sure that's good for a bit of it, yes, but... these people supporting him are, by and large, not particularly wealthy. They wont have the money to keep dumping into his coffers to stave off banks, properties, and penalty fines calling due hundreds of millions of dollars in what's likely to be a pretty rapid time frame.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Depending on his speech and motives I think Trump will be the kingmaker if he does not run. The GOP is in a really hard place right now. I think we could be entering an era without a Republican Party. I don’t see any candidate surviving a general without Trump supporters. If that happens Democrats will probably control things for a few cycles.