Thread: Valheim

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Valheim

New survival solo/coop (1-10) game by Iron Gate Studios, created on Unity Engine by a team of about 3-5 developers. It has sold more than 3 millions copies.

Maps are procedurally-generated so each map is unique, fog of war all around to get players to discover the islands and the sea. Big bosses to fight and many biomes to explore (with dungeons underground).

It has pixelated textures all over the world (even fire and VFX) with beautiful lighting and post-processing effects.

Last edited by francisbaud; 2021-02-24 at 03:58 PM.

Monster Hunter meets Fortnight... not the worst mashup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Not gonna lie, having troubles getting over the graphical style choice for this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Such a fun game so far... oh, except that it's horridly optimized and my modern rig only somehow gets an average of 10 fps in the game. I have been driven mad all week trying to play this game with my friends for whom the game runs perfectly fine. I have singled out every component and all I can seem to find online is that the game is early access and is bottlenecking my CPU because of poor optimization. This fun ass game, that everyone is playing, I kinda just... cant, lol. Feelsbadman.jpg

Highly recommend to everyone else though!
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quality looks horrible. No thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    I been playing this to much:

*had to lower draw distace a bit as game gets a bit laggy and there are still bugs*

This game is kinda a mix of dark souls + rust (if you try to pvp) + any building game + survival that doesnt have a shitty starve mehanic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Great game so far. No starving, you can recycle your buildings and get the same amount of resources you spent on building them, bosses...

And it's only 1Gb in size
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Friend gifted it to me, it failed to grasp me in literally any aspect. So I watched videos of various streamers and YouTube uploads at various stages in the game, I don't think even playing with other people would make this game interesting/immersive in any aspect. Rust does everything significantly better.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good game, but it's suffering from that overblown exposition that got Fall Guys and then Among Us.

As in, it's a meme.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    It's a good game, but it's suffering from that overblown exposition that got Fall Guys and then Among Us.

As in, it's a meme.
    How can a game be a meme? Aside from it blowing up a little bit at the beginning as a stream game and people jumping on the bandwagon, but for the vast majority of people it's simply a game they play and enjoy, like most any game. It's nowhere near the level of those two games were.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post

As in, it's a meme.
    Name one game where you can get killed by a falling tree

Does the game have a magic tech tree?
    Otherwise I can just stick to modded minecraft
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm ~50 hours in so far solo, and still having a ton of fun playing. I'm about 1/2 way through the Silver Age, and progress is on hold for now as I'm tired of living in my shitty 4x7 2-story wooden box house and want to move into something larger (something more akin to the photos above by @Yunru). The game can be quite difficult/frustrating at times if you don't prepare, like when I almost rage quit after almost losing all of my progress (died when exploring the Plains early after a 20+ min boat ride away from my base, died again after a 35+ raft back to my corpse with my remaining back-up gear and before I could set up a portal, then immediately invaded by trolls on respawn).

Overall, it's a ton of fun and would highly recommend for any fans of the survival and/or crafting genre, especially if you have a group of friends to play with (I imagine).

It's okay. Not sure what the big deal is about this game really. While not bad, it does a lot of what other games in the genre did/do. I think the pixeled look is unappealing personally as well. There isn't a lot of pizzazz to the game in my opinion.

At least Ark has dinosaurs, NMS is very expansive and Conan Exiles an interesting darker setting. I still prefer those as my survival games of choice.

I find it highly boring. As in, literally a waste of time and money.

Everything about it is horrendous. I feel sorry for the developers. I'm sure they are very committed and want players to enjoy it. But this hype is way overblown simply because some streamers advertised it.

Battle system is worse than Gothic II.
    Building system is convoluted, glitchy and not fun.
    You need phantasy items to craft a forge.
    The raven is obnoxious.
    The world seems incredibly empty without any substance or interesting POIs to investigate.
    You can literally only hunt deer and boars, at least at the biome you start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, its early access, played minecraft in alpha, look how that turned out

Played it for some hrs, fun to play

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Name one game where you can get killed by a falling tree
    The ever famous The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Is this a trick question?

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried to get into it but somewhere during building and something went awry with the roofs and... I just sighed and gave up. People seem to love it though, I'll give it that.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

In my opinion this game is excellent. To say this has been made by an indie game studio of a whopping five people beggars belief. They have of course confirmed they are hiring more staff as they have smashed all expectations by selling over four million copies already! That's a heck of a lot of bug reports to go through for five people!

This is without a doubt the most polished Early Access game to date, (again my own opinion). £15 to buy and a download size of just over 500MB, is a massive plus.

Yes, the graphical style will put some people off, I myself can't stand Minecraft-esque graphics but I looked beyond that and the gameplay more than makes up for it.

Biggest thing though, this game is better with friends. Should you not have any, find some or buy some Biggest negative so far would have to be the fact that if you do play with friends then whoever hosted the oringal world seed needs to be online in order for anyone to be able to join the same world again. The only way around that is for that person to leave their PC running 24/7 or do like my friends and I did: Chip in to buy/rent a dedicated server and it'll be available all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Friend gifted it to me, it failed to grasp me in literally any aspect. So I watched videos of various streamers and YouTube uploads at various stages in the game, I don't think even playing with other people would make this game interesting/immersive in any aspect. Rust does everything significantly better.
    That's your opinion and you're entitled to it of course. However, Rust has been out for seven years, Valheim is only 22 days old.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    I feel sorry for the developers. I'm sure they are very committed and want players to enjoy it. But this hype is way overblown simply because some streamers advertised it.
    I'd say don't feel sorry for them, they've created a game that millions of players enjoy (96% positive reviews on Steam) and earned about $70M in less than a month.