Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Class Predictions?

So that new melee-DPS that shares DRG gear... any predictions?

Personally, I feel that it has to be edgy enough for Zenos to embrace it, but at the same time, I think a Scythe-based class is too telegraphed to prove correct.

I'd love a two handed dps class, but if they wanted to do that, we would have got it with Dark Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I'd love a two handed dps class, but if they wanted to do that, we would have got it with Dark Knight.
    Not necessarily.

They could pull what they did with Gunbreaker and just make a new weapon type and make up a new name for the class. Or could use a great sword in a different way, though I doubt they'd blur the lines like that.

I'd love to see a scythe user as I think the animations would be really cool and many of the hints so far seem to point towards a death themed, scythe wielding class.

We'll see though, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Don't know, but I hope it's Assassin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    So that new melee-DPS that shares DRG gear... any predictions?

Personally, I feel that it has to be edgy enough for Zenos to embrace it, but at the same time, I think a Scythe-based class is too telegraphed to prove correct.
    The scythes and Grim Reaper aesthetic Yoshi's shirts have been going with make Necromancer a pretty obvious candidate. They could operate as a Melee minion-master job, with their melee strikes spawning multiple short-lived minions that zerg the target before despawning. It also dovetails nicely into the mystery of the Necromancer boss from Heroes' Gauntlet, alluding to the notion that one can be 'tainted' by summoning Voidsent but still be a Warrior of Light standing against the tides of darkness, which, like Dark Knight before it, allows the WoL to explore darker themes and aspects of their personality without sacrificing their status as a hero.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    The scythes and Grim Reaper aesthetic Yoshi's shirts have been going with make Necromancer a pretty obvious candidate. They could operate as a Melee minion-master job, with their melee strikes spawning multiple short-lived minions that zerg the target before despawning. It also dovetails nicely into the mystery of the Necromancer boss from Heroes' Gauntlet, alluding to the notion that one can be 'tainted' by summoning Voidsent but still be a Warrior of Light standing against the tides of darkness, which, like Dark Knight before it, allows the WoL to explore darker themes and aspects of their personality without sacrificing their status as a hero.
    They name-checked Necromancer during the reveals, though. I just think it is too obvious to be what they ultimately go for. They've also stated that they hate pets and managing that AI, so points against Necromancer and Beastmaster both. Add in that it was overtly stated that they think Necromancers are too evil for a playable class in this game... I'm just not seeing it as likely.

I'm guessing it'll be another Gunbreaker or Sage. Completely unpredictable.

- - - Updated - - -

On that note, my vote goes to Tinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    They've (Yoshi and co.) been joking about necromancer being a class, doubt they're serious about it.

I think its going to be mystic knight/rune fencer.

Weapon would be a 2h sword with a focus, a'la RDM.

It also creates two possible routes for the class which may actually converge through the class story

Makes sense because we are finally going to Radz-at-han and so many items from there over the last few years have referenced the fact that Radz-at-han residents tend to imbue weapons and other materials with magical properties.

Additionally, the infusion of magical properties to weapons through technology is something that the Garlean Empire has been doing for a while and that is another region we're going to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I'm usually a supporter of Blizzard but after seeing the way that Soulbinds are going to work on top of this change to M+ I'm deeply regretting my decision to preorder this expansion.
    Thanks man, your super hot take that WoW sucks is really refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seratox View Post
    I think its going to be mystic knight/rune fencer.

Weapon would be a 2h sword with a focus, a'la RDM.

It also creates two possible routes for the class which may actually converge through the class story

Makes sense because we are finally going to Radz-at-han and so many items from there over the last few years have referenced the fact that Radz-at-han residents tend to imbue weapons and other materials with magical properties.

Additionally, the infusion of magical properties to weapons through technology is something that the Garlean Empire has been doing for a while and that is another region we're going to.
    I firmly believe that Zenos will be picking up the new weapon, so it has to be something that one could seen as "superior" to his katanas. Rune Knight might fit that role. How might you tie that back to the t-shirts, though?

Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    I firmly believe that Zenos will be picking up the new weapon, so it has to be something that one could seen as "superior" to his katanas. Rune Knight might fit that role. How might you tie that back to the t-shirts, though?
    I think its entirely possible that Yoshi-P is intentionally misleading people this time around just to throw a massive curveball.
    I'm usually a supporter of Blizzard but after seeing the way that Soulbinds are going to work on top of this change to M+ I'm deeply regretting my decision to preorder this expansion.
    Thanks man, your super hot take that WoW sucks is really refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seratox View Post
    I think its entirely possible that Yoshi-P is intentionally misleading people this time around just to throw a massive curveball.
    Eh, it'll tie back somehow, no matter how obtuse.

If it's a melee class, then there aren't many unique weapons left I can think of.

• Scythe (could be either one of two variants: a fast character, like Ruby or Qrow from RWBY, or a slow and heavy swinger like Vaseraga from Granblue Fantasy. But given Zenos will likely be using this job, I'd imagine it will be of the fast variant)
    • Fan (like Hakuoro and Haku from the Utawareumono games. Could fill the buffer role like people wanted Dancer to be. Unfortunately it looks like FFXIV is sticking really hard to the holy trinity of DPS/Healer/Tank, so a pure buffer job is out).
    • Staff/Quarterstaff (like a monk or some asian martial artist)
    • Nunchucks (like a monk or a ninja, but it might be hard to differentiate this job aesthetically from those two)
    • Hammer (is a popular suggestion but rather mundane and I think Geomancer would be more than likely a ranged caster. Being a melee focused Red Mage would be interesting, though)
    • New original weapon

- - - Updated - - -

Beastmaster would also be really cool. They could justify any melee weapon for it (one handed axe like Lyon, one handed axe and a shield, or a scythe like Ran'jit), but given the abysmal state of Summoner egis (when the entire class' fantasy was based around summons!) and Yoshida's vocal disdain for pet classes, I doubt it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Considering how much FF4 symbolism is present in the plot right now, my guess would be Engineer styled after FF4's Cid. Wields a hammer, imbues melee attacks with with various effects. I don't know how to tie it in to Yoshi's t-shirt, but we do have precedent for a hammer-wielding Engineer class in Nero.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If it's a melee class, then there aren't many unique weapons left I can think of.

• Scythe (could be either one of two variants: a fast character, like Ruby or Qrow from RWBY, or a slow and heavy swinger like Vaseraga from Granblue Fantasy. But given Zenos will likely be using this job, I'd imagine it will be of the fast variant)
    • Fan (like Hakuoro and Haku from the Utawareumono games. Could fill the buffer role like people wanted Dancer to be. Unfortunately it looks like FFXIV is sticking really hard to the holy trinity of DPS/Healer/Tank, so a pure buffer job is out).
    • Staff/Quarterstaff (like a monk or some asian martial artist)
    • Nunchucks (like a monk or a ninja, but it might be hard to differentiate this job aesthetically from those two)
    • Hammer (is a popular suggestion but rather mundane and I think Geomancer would be more than likely a ranged caster. Being a melee focused Red Mage would be interesting, though)
    • New original weapon

- - - Updated - - -

Beastmaster would also be really cool. They could justify any melee weapon for it (one handed axe like Lyon, one handed axe and a shield, or a scythe like Ran'jit), but given the abysmal state of Summoner egis (when the entire class' fantasy was based around summons!) and Yoshida's vocal disdain for pet classes, I doubt it.
    A whip might also be cool for a Beastmaster! But given that it was name-dropped as a limited job (in addition to what you listed), my hopes aren't high.

Reaper/Nightwalker - Scythe, fills t-shirt qualifications, and additionally in an interview many years ago Koji Fox was asked about the Reaper, and responded, "I was told not to talk about".

Templar/Judge - Similar to paladin, and fills the Bozja thing, but unlikely.

Corsair - My #1 Guess, Similar to outlaw rogue/rdm. A sword, and a pistol. Fills t-shirt qualifications (company manufacture is very pirate-y), and additionally it fills the "undead/fomor" feel that comes with Endwalker, additionally, they will likely build onto the next story of exploration and discovery after the 6.0 story, the 10 year story comes to a close.

To be honest, I'd love to see another pet class though.

Edt: Corsair can be similar to Gambler apparently, which make me rethink what the next limited job may be. Which could be anything from Beastmaster, collecting beasts, Illusionist-Similar to Blue Mage, or Gambler similar to Corsair.

Edit 2: The possibility of where we learn this next job and where the job story quest takes us is something as well. As we're likely getting Sage from the moon. Thavnair gave us Dancers... so would it be a new location...?
    Last edited by Leaf4Prez; 2021-04-07 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf4Prez View Post
    As we're likely getting Sage from the moon.
    The announcement said it was made by Garlond Ironworks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf4Prez View Post
    Thavnair gave us Dancers... so would it be a new location...?
    No reason it can't be Thavnair again. We already had an Ala Mhigan job in ARR with Monk, and then got another with Red Mage in Stormblood. We already had an Ishgardian job in ARR with Dragoon, and then got another with Machinist in Heavensward.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The announcement said it was made by Garlond Ironworks.
    Went back and looked up all the announcement information, and I can't find where it says this. The slides shown in the showcase and the trailer itself make no mention of Garlond Ironworks.

Do you have a link or a source?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Went back and looked up all the announcement information, and I can't find where it says this. The slides shown in the showcase and the trailer itself make no mention of Garlond Ironworks.

Do you have a link or a source?
    Double checked. I was mistaken.

A common plot thread in the story is that dark is not necessarily bad and light is not necessarily good. With that in mind, since PLD is the poster boy of the expansion in the cinematic this time around I'm expecting the new melee job to be darkness based. Or at least more 'edgy' in terms of aesthetics.

I'm expecting something with a scythe, maybe. As much as I'd like to see necromancer added, I think we'll just get the DPS equivalent of DRK.

It's also possible that they're talking about another limited job and it'll just be beastmaster.

I'm guessing Sage will be Sharlyan in origin, but we'll see when 6.0 hits.