Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yeah, there will be - Diablo Immortal.

I don't see Blizzard ever doing any D2 expansion - it's let the sleeping dogs lie thing, anything they do will produce a ravenous backlash from purists. They are for sure better off doing remaster and then going Immortal/D4.

D2 story is done and it's better that way for everyone, including Blizz.
    It was confirmed that both Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 had expansions that were canceled after Lord of destruction and Reaper of souls respectively so there is a possibility that they revive those and Diablo 3 just had a complete rework to its follower system out of nowhere. My guess is Diablo 4 still another 3 years off so they have to do things to keep the franchise going.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Its simply an idea to actually pad out some content that wouldnt require too much work outside of updating the graphics. Not asking for entire new animations/voice work/cgi etc.

Because D2 is incredibly bare bones when you compare it to current similar games on the market. As I said, its pretty much 3 acts you do 3 times, you can get to hell in an afternoon.

I just put 50+ hours in a game that is half the price (Hades).

If people have completely forgotten their time with D2 or havent replayed it in recent years and just want to throw down cash to relive some sweet nostalgia, all power to them. Such a waste of potential though. When the original game is still there, and D2 only needs tweaks to be something special in 2021.
    I think all value is subjective.

I mean, just as you said you paid half the price for Hades and had a blast, I could say I paid nothing for Path of Exile and played for far more hours. Does this mean Hades is of lesser value than PoE? No, it doesn't.

The value of a game is absolutely subjective to us. So is its price. I completely agree that the remaster is way too expensive for what it should be, I'm not going to be shy about saying this out loud. I don't think that this changes the value of the game though, since the point of the game is not about doing fresh content but it's built on the randomness of drops and how you can play an infinite number of times and not have the same game experiences going through the same content. I've put in thousands of hours into this game, and I've still never seen a Ber or Zod rune. To me, it's not about the acts or difficulty, it's the game itself I care about.

And it's hard to really add any real substantial content to the game when at its core it's about building your character up to how you see fit, and fighting the RNG gods to do so. It's not because the game is particularly challenging or difficult, it's because we can derive some sense of fun from finding an item or rune that everyone acknowledges as EXTREMELY rare.

If I want a more modern ARPG combat style or want more content, then I could be playing Diablo 3 or Path of Exile for that, or just stick to Roguelikes like Hades. Neither of these are Diablo 2 though. And yes, we can absolutely play Diablo 2 now without Ressurected, as I am doing right now. So what exactly will people buy Diablo 2 Ressurected for if there's no new content? That's for those people to decide. People will decide on their own whether this game is worth its price or not, and whether it's worth its value of replay based on its 'limited content'. I don't think we should be expecting this game to be any more than it asks to be, which is why I specifically made a new thread to discuss specific new content or changes (which happens not to be discussed, ironically enough).

I don't think Diablo 2 Ressurected is worth the $40 price tag, but at the same time I see no reason to expect there to be more changes so that it would be more worth that price. The value in Diablo 2 is not in having fresh content or better balance. We have fan-generated mods that have exactly this, and you can play them right now. I'm playing Project D2 and there are things I like and things I don't like about it, but I wouldn't call it Diablo 2 either. It's a different game completely. That's what Blizzard has to be careful with if they decide to address any content. They have to be careful about anything they decide to add, because D2, as basic as it seems, is a very delicate and complicated system. Even a simple mod like PlugY that has zero balance changes ends up changing the game by opening possibilities to a 'Holy Grail' collection meta that was not possible in the original game. Even if this is a fun and fresh way to approach Diablo 2, at the same time, is this still how Diablo 2 should be played? I would argue that it would not be, since Diablo 2 is a very specific type of game, even if mods have opened up new and fresh ways to approach the original design.

You could always hotkey spells you were just limited to two at a time on the bars.

Shared stash is great but watch that fill instantly with armor with sockets as you wait for high runes to drop. Hopefully you'll see one within a 1000 hours of gameplay!
    We can now have the same amount as in Diablo 3 hotkey'd while using a controller in this so I would assume they did the same for the keyboard as well.

- - - Updated - - -

You could always hotkey spells you were just limited to two at a time on the bars.

Shared stash is great but watch that fill instantly with armor with sockets as you wait for high runes to drop. Hopefully you'll see one within a 1000 hours of gameplay!
    You just need a good magic find build and that helps a ton.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    We can now have the same amount as in Diablo 3 hotkey'd while using a controller in this so I would assume they did the same for the keyboard as well.

- - - Updated - - -

You just need a good magic find build and that helps a ton.
    A good magic find build to re-run Mep/baal over and over because its the only boss you can kill and the council members with immunities are easy to kite into a corner and ignore.

Cant wait!

the game will be fun to rediscover to see the better movies, the area and mobs in hd and all for like the first days/first week

but after it, the game remain the same

i dunno, somes people think the game will be very different, it will not

the large difference being the mod support, dunno how this wil work but if it make mod on the game more easy to do, it could be a thing who will make the game realy more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    the large difference being the mod support, dunno how this wil work but if it make mod on the game more easy to do, it could be a thing who will make the game realy more interesting
    I'll be interested in seeing how open the game will be to mod support with the changes they have in mind. People being able to create their own legendaries and runewords would be quite a game changer.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-26 at 12:58 AM.

Do new graphics really mean that much to people? Why not just replay the game now then instead of waiting to buy something for some retail therapy.

Graphics mean so little to me I can't fathom why someone would want to play a game with quite frankly shit gameplay for 2021 standards
    Then play other games, not D2:R. It's not going to be a "return to the origins". It will never be. And apparently new graphics matter a lot otherwise games would still be in pixel-art (i don't care about it aswell, but that's it).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    No, it's not 'barely playable'.

It -still- is playable, and in fact, is played, by huge communities.

And no, it doesn't require an expansion. Diablo 4 is down the road.

The simple fact that it will have mod support is more than enough.
    Never said it required an expansion at all. It is barely playable and it's definitely not played by huge communities. Yes it runs once you take steps to make it run, but compared to the other games that got remasters, it's doing the worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Diablo 2 is absolutely playable. I still play it today.

You just have to realize that it's a game that plays in a very specific way, with its own nuances. It's not a product of modern game design. But hey, if you're going to buy a remaster, you should already know and expect that.
    I do too. But the playability of D2 vs WC3 is not even comparable.

they can't make a good expansion to D2. what would the lore hook be? no way there is something good they could do that makes sense after lord of destruction.

new class also would never fly for all kinds of reasons.

so the best you can hope for is stuff like more map layouts or new minor areas, but that's obviously not enough for a full on expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I do too. But the playability of D2 vs WC3 is not even comparable.
    Why should it be comparable? They're completely different games.

So let's say in an ideal world, the Remaster does gangbusters sales and they dedicate a dev team to making a new expansion for D2, kinda like how Age of Empires 2 has had a modern resurgence with their modern expansion packs.

What content would you like to see in a theoretical post-Worldstone shattering expansion?

Which new continent would you like to explore? What new enemies or bosses would you like to see? New features? New Classes?
    I've heard that Diablo Immortal tells the story between 2 and 3. Immortal could be a potential D2:R expansion, killing the "no pc port" statement and rendering the phone version obsolete and inferior.

Poetry

This will never happen, Blizzard pigeonholed themselves by making D2R run on top of the original D2 engine, so anything they add to the game they have to create old ass 90s assets behind it.
    Last edited by Khain; 2021-02-26 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    This will never happen, Blizzard pigeonholed themselves by making D2R run on top of the original D2 engine, so anything they add to the game they have to create old ass 90s assets behind it.
    2 ways I see it being handled

- New expansion is exclusive to D2R, which gets people to buy the remake and use the new graphics. Should be considered if D2R is actually successful.
    - They pixelate the heck out of the modern assets just like how they were made back then by making sprites out of rendered images.

Age of Empires 2 Remaster has completely new factions. All of the artwork is already being outsourced. The technical aspects of making it work aren't an issue. The only limit this idea has is one coming from an executive source deeming it worth pursuing or not. But this thread isn't about what is likely, it's a complete 'what if' scenario.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-26 at 05:40 PM.

I'd honestly love to see a Warcraft 3 Reforged expansion..... So I mean... Yeah I guess you guys can get one too.

Why should it be comparable? They're completely different games.
    You... That.. What? Are you confused about what 'playability' means?

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    You... That.. What? Are you confused about what 'playability' means?
    I'm not confused about the definition of the word

I'm confused at your application of the word, because 'playability' is ultimate subjective, and you're comparing two games that have different values in terms of playability.

Why do you think that WC3 was playable but Diablo 2 is not? Personally, I'm a bigger fan of WC3, but after what WC3R did to the game I don't even want to touch it (outside of modding). On the other hand, I still play Diablo 2 actively for the past 3-4 years since I picked it back up.

I don't understand what you consider D2 to be barely playable and why you consider WC3 and SC2 not needing updates. All of these games are different and not really comparable to each other in terms of required updates; and the entire idea of updating them at all is purely subjective. You could look at them all and think they could all use updates, or you could look at them all and think neither of them needs updates. There's no 'playability standard' here.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2021-02-26 at 08:01 PM.

I'd absolutely love that. And would love if they were to introduce new mechanics and other things too.

Nothing. I want nothing added or taken away from Diablo 2+LOD. I want to specifically play D2+LOD as it is currently. Part of this is a lack of trust in anyone improving the game or adding on to it within reasonable means. Another part is, I like this game the way it is currently- which is admittedly selfish, but I feel other games have gone beyond D2 in ways I already wanted to see. I play D2 for the experience and gameplay specifically of Diablo 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    Well maybe the expansion version of the game doesn't give you that option anymore. If you want pixels you can have to still play LoD or 2000

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Well maybe the expansion version of the game doesn't give you that option anymore. If you want pixels you can have to still play LoD or 2000
    More likely it's "if you want new content...play D4"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.