Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Classic TBC release date

I was looking for a thread on this thought I might as well start it myself...

When do you think it will release? My bet is late summer /early fall 2021

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In the lull of 9.1 is my guess. 9.1 I'm guessing is probably early May at this point. So probably Late June/Early July.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Soon

/10som
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Fall sounds way too late, that's nearly 1 year of naxx and a lot of people are ready to move on right now.
    Classic also remains there forever, so those that need more time to complete it can still do it, even though they will only be able to continue the chars as they were whem pre-patch hit. Pre-patch will also provide a boost to those still struggling with that Sapph and KT kill.

Many people, myself included, are looking forward to an April pre-patch and May launch which is reasonable and even respects the original timeline.

But I guess we'll have to see how much work they still need to do. They also seem to have no problem with Shadowlands and Classic releases having similar dates and are confident that for the most part Shadowlands and Classic playerbases are quite exclusive to one version.
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-02-25 at 10:26 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tounsi View Post
    When do you think it will release? My bet is late summer /early fall 2021
    My bet is that you don't need to beta test a 14 years old game for 6-8 months (longer than actual new expansions) so anything beyond may/june is unrealistic and pretty much unacceptable.
    Last edited by Zka; 2021-02-25 at 10:28 AM.

I'll say June to play it safe but it could be May.

Edit: Actually I forgot about Shadowlands lol, this could very well be later.
    Last edited by Woobels; 2021-02-25 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    My bet is that you don't need to beta test a 14 years old game for 6-8 months (longer than actual new expansions) so anything beyond may/june is unrealistic and pretty much unacceptable.
    Unacceptable to who? What you will do when TBC obviously release August/September? Protest? Don't play? It's clear that Blizz won't release new SL season and TBC at same time.

I'm going to bet on april pre-patch and may release, or at most one month later than that.

Leaks said early May, which is absolutely reasonable, altough i can see 9.1 coming out around the same date (9.1 isn't even on the PTR yet and we're in late Feb, that Patch won't come out in March, early April at best).

Depends on whether they choose to hold back TBC artificially so they have a bigger gap between 9.1 and TBC, however that won't sit very well with players especially as TBC Beta will arrive very soon and show what everyone knows: It doesn't need a lot of testing, hence it can be shipped relatively soon.

On the other hand, they also released P6 right next to SL, altough situation might be different as P6 isn't exactly compareable to a Retail content patch in terms of size.

probably the same week as 9.1 just to once again fuck over ppl who wants to play both. I mean, its Blizzard we are talking about afterall.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think august would be a perfect date, anything earlier would barely make any sense

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Fall sounds way too late, that's nearly 1 year of naxx and a lot of people are ready to move on right now.
    Classic also remains there forever, so those that need more time to complete it can still do it, even though they will only be able to continue the chars as they were whem pre-patch hit. Pre-patch will also provide a boost to those still struggling with that Sapph and KT kill.

Many people, myself included, are looking forward to an April pre-patch and May launch which is reasonable and even respects the original timeline.

But I guess we'll have to see how much work they still need to do. They also seem to have no problem with Shadowlands and Classic releases having similar dates and are confident that for the most part Shadowlands and Classic playerbases are quite exclusive to one version.
    I disagree with the last point of your post. That is true in the long run and a major patch being released in classic doesn't interfere with retail releases. But releasing a whole new classic expansion is a different story. The big masses in the beginning come from retail, and I think that is why they will release it when there is no major SL release nearby.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering they said they want to give people plenty of time to get their fill of Naxx 40 before moving on, and taking into account the original Naxx 40 release was done so late, they're not going to make that mistake again. The earliest I could see it would be May which gives people 6 months in Naxx, but even that feels too early.

I may actually play New BC, especially due to the boost, but I sure as shit won't play a Holy Paladin again. PVP-wise I remember being hit with like 5 lock dots in the span of 1-2 seconds, feared endlessly, then drain lifed to death in like 3 seconds. I might roll a lock
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2021-02-25 at 11:30 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Unacceptable to who?
    For everyone who wants to play.
    They are already finished with development ("beta soon" pretty much confirms this). This is their second time moving an old expansion into the new framework and they are largely finished. I see no technical reason to drag this beta for very long. That's why it would be unacceptable to drag it until fall/winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    It's clear that Blizz won't release new SL season and TBC at same time.
    It's clear they did release Naxx and SL roughly at the same time.

They are already finished with development ("beta soon" pretty much confirms this). This is their second time moving an old expansion into the new framework and they are largely finished. I see no technical reason to drag this beta for very long. That's why it would be unacceptable to drag it until fall/winter.

The only reaseon it was released at the same time, because SL was pushed back significantly due to CoVid.

It is not unacceptable. Someone might as well, it is unacceptable to release it during summer. May is way to early since dont have a beta yet, and they said they will listen to the community regarding changes.
    There will be multiple stress test, because Classic launch was just the warming up of the stress will be put on servers for TBC launch. All of Azeroth into one zone.

That comparison don't make sense. Naxx release was just for die-hard Classic fans, BC on launch will be played by everyone - Classic people, retail people and tourists that are huge chunk of playerbase on launch.

Reasons are not technical. TBC almost certainly will be placed between 9.1 and 9.2 (I could see Blizz releasing small 9.1.5 short after TBC to throw a bone for retail players who dont care about Classic) and honestly I don't see many people to be surprised about it. So again 'unacceptable' is really strange word to use here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    It is not unacceptable. Someone might as well, it is unacceptable to release it during summer. May is way to early since dont have a beta yet, and they said they will listen to the community regarding changes.
    Don't know how you can imagine that may is too early. It's pretty much right in the middle of the expected time frame.

There was a leak that the release date would be around May the 5th. Since they will split Classic and TBC Classic to two seperate games, my guess then is that Pre patch will probably be in April (Tbh it should be even sooner) and release in early June

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Don't know how you can imagine that may is too early. It's pretty much right in the middle of the expected time frame.
    2 months of bet a while listening to community feedback? I just doubt it.

Naxx isn't even slightly comparable to TBC. They wouldn't do two big releases at the same time if they could avoid it.