Poll: What should happen to classic after BC?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question What happens after BC Classic?

What do you think should happen after BC classic has run its course after 2-3 years?

One option would be to go into Wotlk classic servers and stop the timeline there. Bringing down Arthas will always be one of the biggest moments for a lot of players in WoW since he was the big bad guy of Warcraft and the story there is incredibly rich.

After that, continuing the classic servers into later expansions would become silly. We'd have a second version of WoW that would just be more behind than retail. For me, Cata was the beginning of the end for "good" WoW. A lot of the core mechanics (like group finder) began to change and alter gameplay that made the game worse overall, in my opinion.

What I'd like to see:

I would like to see classic servers eventually progress into Wotlk, and then have a new timeline open after that. A brand new "classic" expansion with new content, gear, mounts, story, etc... But with the same classic systems (ie, no group finder, and keep the old talent system). Maybe we could redeem Arthas instead of kill him?

What do you think?

If each classic expansion is a success, what makes you think they'll stop at Wrath? Just keep going. Each expansion deserves to be played in it's true form, if for no other reason than experiencing gaming history for future gamers.

Ive been saying for a while I'd like an OSRS style system, where community can vote on things being added or changed and it would require an active subscription and a max level character or something.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

That already exists, it's called retail.

The whole point of Classic servers was to give a sense of how the game was at the time. If they start adding content there, then it loses it's whole point.

As long as they can make easy money out of it, I could see them doing pretty much any expansion... maybe even do some crazy stuff like WoD classic, but with all the cut features and content

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    What I'd like to see:

I would like to see classic servers eventually progress into Wotlk, and then have a new timeline open after that. A brand new "classic" expansion with new content, gear, mounts, story, etc... But with the same classic systems (ie, no group finder, and keep the old talent system). Maybe we could redeem Arthas instead of kill him?

What do you think?
    We'll likely see Wrath.

However, they will never branch from it...and, if they do, it will be a disaster for those that appreciate the design of BC/Wrath. Blizz has no intention of putting that level of effort into such an expansion. Very few who enjoy Classic/BC/Wrath are fans of Retail...and nobody wants to see Wrath continue with the "Go Go Go" mentality of Retail (you already have Retails for meaningless grinding).

Stop at Wrath, it forms the main WoW trilogy. I guess you could then do fresh servers and start the journey all over again. I can't see them adding anything new though.

Like TBC, Wrath's introduction will depend heavily on how well the prior expansion does. Personally, I can't wait. Not because I want to play Wrath; rather, because it will finally give the ungodly number of players on this forum who want retail to just be WotLK 2.0 an outlet to live out their fantasies.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    Stop at Wrath, it forms the main WoW trilogy. I guess you could then do fresh servers and start the journey all over again. I can't see them adding anything new though.
    Yeah, I agree that’s what will probably end up happening. I just think retail is so unsatisfying. It amazes me that so many still play it. On the other hand, I love playing Classic, which is why I hope they’ll add fresh content to it one day, as much of a pipe dream as that may be. As good as classic is, knowing the playerbase will eventually dwindle into nothing is a sad thought.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    We'll likely see Wrath.

However, they will never branch from it...and, if they do, it will be a disaster for those that appreciate the design of BC/Wrath. Blizz has no intention of putting that level of effort into such an expansion. Very few who enjoy Classic/BC/Wrath are fans of Retail...and nobody wants to see Wrath continue with the "Go Go Go" mentality of Retail (you already have Retails for meaningless grinding).
    Y'all are delusional. Classic and BC are the definition of meaningless grinding lol.
    Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. Moderation's for cowards.

I would like to see classic servers eventually progress into Wotlk
    This is most likely happening.

and then have a new timeline open after that. A brand new "classic" expansion with new content, gear, mounts, story, etc... But with the same classic systems (ie, no group finder, and keep the old talent system).
    This is not happening at all, new resources and ideas = retail, dont be one of those dumbos asking for classic+.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    If each classic expansion is a success, what makes you think they'll stop at Wrath? Just keep going. Each expansion deserves to be played in it's true form, if for no other reason than experiencing gaming history for future gamers.
    Because after WotLk...it kinda went downhill from there...and I doubt they're going to do every expansion

- - - Updated - - -

What do you think should happen after BC classic has run its course after 2-3 years?

One option would be to go into Wotlk classic servers and stop the timeline there. Bringing down Arthas will always be one of the biggest moments for a lot of players in WoW since he was the big bad guy of Warcraft and the story there is incredibly rich.

After that, continuing the classic servers into later expansions would become silly. We'd have a second version of WoW that would just be more behind than retail. For me, Cata was the beginning of the end for "good" WoW. A lot of the core mechanics (like group finder) began to change and alter gameplay that made the game worse overall, in my opinion.

What I'd like to see:

What do you think?
    They can hardly handle developing one game, we don't need them split between two.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I ever play new Classic and new BC I sure as hell won't make the mistake of playing as a Holy Paladin. Although Holy healing in BC was very OP. I'm kind of tempted to play new BC especially due to the boost, I won't lie.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

WOTLK Classic.

Pretty much confirmed after the WoW Classic Deep Dive on BlizzcOnline.

Yeah, I agree that’s what will probably end up happening. I just think retail is so unsatisfying. It amazes me that so many still play it. On the other hand, I love playing Classic, which is why I hope they’ll add fresh content to it one day, as much of a pipe dream as that may be. As good as classic is, knowing the playerbase will eventually dwindle into nothing is a sad thought.
    Well retail has evolved, for better or worse. I'm sure if it had stayed the same, there would be just as many complaints that it was old and stale. TBC has a special place for me, as I started two months after it launched, but I don't expect to have remotely the same experience, because none of it is new anymore, but it'll be a fun bout of nostalgia.

WotLK happens after BC, pretty obvious. Not so sure after that though. For now Blizzard can just relax though. Got several years of relaunching old content lol.

Personally I think it should stop at WotLK, thats the last xpac that really connects with the "Old" of wow. since cata the game was changed forever in many ways.

I think that WotLK is a given. What happens afterwards is up in the air. I don't see them doing Classic+ and, for good or ill, Cata remains a controversial expansion that would likely not generate as much nostalgia from most players. I think it's safe to expect them rolling new progression realms and keep looping through Classic-TBC-WotLK, perhaps with shorter phases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Because after WotLk...it kinda went downhill from there...and I doubt they're going to do every expansion
    I generally agree but with a retrospective people may be better at picking out what was fun about each expansion and not get dragged down by the more crappy aspects.

Now the AP grind thing, that is like the unskippable cut scene of mmos. Really gonna torpedo replayability.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

They could do similar progression to Everquest. Start a new server for whatever reason suits them. Start at Classic and continue on to the expansions they need to.

I honestly feel like we could see everything up to WoD. They aren't going to repeat that shitshow.