Thread: Fire AoE

Fire AoE

I am loving my main change from Windwalker to Fire so freaking much, guys. The single target is so satisfying, the toolkit is great, and the ability to respond to movement scenarios is.... well, it's a peace offering to a former monk, lol.

I suck SO bad at AoE, though. I read, I try to apply, and my numbers suck.

So! Here's my understanding, if you could just grab me by my fox-snoot and point me in the actual, correct direction:

2 targets: Single-target the priority mob, lobbing a Phoenix after every free Pyroblast.

3+: Panic. Err... Basically the same thing as before? Or maybe the same, but Flamestrike instead of Pyroblast? But does Lob a Phoenix matter after a Flamestrike? Inevitably I say "screw it," Shimmer into melee, and Arcane Blast as much as I can afford to given mana and M ability to restore mana put of combat.

It's not great! And my understanding is that Fire *also* excels at AoE. So what am I missing?? What is the actual role of Flamestrike? Does it meaningfully interact with Lob a Phoenix?

Thank you in advance for reading this far, and for any advice.

1. Do not Phoenix Flames unless it's during Combust. There are very rare situations you might want to outside of Combust but just assume you're never going to use it outside of Combust, you want 3 Fire Blast and 3 PF charges before starting your Combust (which should be every minute with Kindling, so no times for extra Phoenix Flames anyways!

2 Targets, sure ST priority mob, technically if you're running Flame Patch even at 2 targets if they'll stay in the Patch Flamestrike is better but just go with Pyro 99% of the time.
    3 targets you're actually going to be hard casting Flamestrike with Flame Patch and using Fire Blast charges for free Flamestrikes.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not the greatest Fire Mage or anything, but Flamestrike should only be used when there are no high priority targets. If all of them are the same priority then you use Flamestrike (With Flame Patch talent)

Phoenix Flames are best used for more hot streaks during combustion
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

This advice has already had a HUGE impact, and I haven't even had a chance to really digest all of it. Thank you!

Step 1 was retalenting from Conflag to Flame Patch. Oops!

Assuming you’re night fae which honestly you really have to be for fire, you should be having combustion up every other trash pull if not sooner. You also should shoot to get the NF ability potency conduit and Infernal Cascade as the other potency slot. Get used to popping that thing all the time because fire does have a great toolkit but it is 100% a burst spec. Don’t sit on your cd’s only for bosses or your dmg will be trash. Sustained dmg outside of combustion and rune of power is pretty wet noodle. I’ve never really had a situation where you have to consistently hardcast a flamestrike in aoe, just doesnt happen when mobs are moving and how mythic+ dungeons typically go. You’ll be using PF as part of flamestrike finisher hot streaks during combustion. And for the short time you’ll have to dps outside of combustion, use hot streak finishers on flamestrike for even 2 targets with flame patch talented unless they’re going to be continuously moving. Look up Preheat’s fire mage breakdown on youtube for a more solid explanation of the spec’s rotations and timings, he does a pretty good job.
    Last edited by Epicawesomestmaximus; 2021-02-26 at 07:03 PM.