Page 1 of 10
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Post Games you love and you don't understand why they are so unpopular

    Anyone have games like that?

    My game has to be C9 (Continent of the Ninth)
    An instanced MMORPG with an amazing combat system that reminds me of my younger years when i used to draw stick figures fighting eachother in a piece of paper.
    The combat + combo system is amazing

    I relogged and re-downloaded the game today, after many many years
    Last time i played was on Wrath of the Lich king when i was on the burnout phase of WoW.

    This is the game's steam charts today:

    Last edited by MMOTherapist; 2021-02-26 at 11:43 AM.

  2. #2
    Good stuff doesn’t get popular ‘cause people are stupid.

  3. #3
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    22,903
    Loved Battleborn. I understand some of the things that went wrong/could been done better but that game sunk like a brick. Now that it's gone Overwatch's PVE content release is probably going to be what Battleborn's was.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  4. #4
    oh man, Battleborn was quite fun. too bad everyone pretty much looked at it like it was an Overwatch clone

  5. #5
    I never actually played it, but watched an entire playthrough of The Order: 1886.

    I don't know, it honestly seemed like a very badass concept, even if the combat wasn't anything groundbreaking. The world and worldbuilding potential seemed very appealing to me personally.

  6. #6
    Depends on what you consider "Unpopular"
    I would daresay a lot of fighters don't get the mainstream appeal they deserve just because people find it hard to play probably same for a lot of lower end MMOs that just couldn't compete with the big boys. Hell I have a hard time cause I played a bunch of stuff that didn't get HUGE MAINSTREAM APPEAL but were considered good otherwise. Even then its easy to see why.

    So is this "Games nobody plays that you play" or "Games that deserve more attention than it gets"

  7. #7
    Heroes of the Storm comes to mind. I like that its shorter and more team based when compared to most other MOBA's (and it helps that I like a lot of the characters), but being so much more casual also means that it won't attract most of the MOBA audience who come for the competitive aspect. It doesn't help that Blizzard also stated that they would put the game on maintenance mode and cancel all e-sport events. Its a good game to pick up when your in the mood, but it does lack a lot of the depth compared to DotA 2 and LoL.

  8. #8
    I wanna be the guy fangames and precision platforming. Super meat boy and Celeste seem to be the only truly popular ones.
    The fanbase is really dedicated and it's insane how good some of them are. The biggest underappreciated gem I have.

    Point&Click games and rts are sadly not so popular either but more likely a lack of good games in their genre. Deponia was the last truly good Point&Click and it's been 5 years since it's end. Rts we've only had AoE2 remake... They are billions could be good but different style.

    Not sure if Crash Team Racing should count since it still is popular but I don't understand why Mario Kart is so much more popular.
    In similar vein is Civ vs Paradox games. Paradox grand strategy games feel so much more alive and deep but are a lot less popular for some reason.

  9. #9
    Resident evil 6. I personally love the game and it has pretty much the same system that RE4+5 used with some tweaks. Don’t understand the hate it gets

  10. #10
    New Kings Bounty games - literally the HoMM 3 with almost perfect solo campaign (i never liked the Heroes ones and palyed only random maps)
    Machinarium with simply stunning music, handdrawn graphics and amazing puzzles
    Baba is You - one of the hardest and mindblowing puzzle games i've ever played. There is still a dozen of maps i still did not complete after spending hours of trying and thinking

  11. #11
    Back in the early xbox 360 days, I ran across a game Chromehounds and enjoyed it for many hours. I loved the possibilities of building the "mechs" and the different roles they can play in a team fight. Communication between squad mates was also tactically limited, the weight of your mech and whether you used treads, legs, etc all mattered.

    It hardly held any ground in the online setting, I think it's reviews were mediocre but I do know why it never took off. The combat was just too slow for most people. I didn't mind it, but it was probably compared to Armored Core which was a fast paced mecha game.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Back in the early xbox 360 days, I ran across a game Chromehounds and enjoyed it for many hours. I loved the possibilities of building the "mechs" and the different roles they can play in a team fight. Communication between squad mates was also tactically limited, the weight of your mech and whether you used treads, legs, etc all mattered.

    It hardly held any ground in the online setting, I think it's reviews were mediocre but I do know why it never took off. The combat was just too slow for most people. I didn't mind it, but it was probably compared to Armored Core which was a fast paced mecha game.
    Omg you made me watch Angry Joe Show from 10+ years ago


  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Heroes of the Storm comes to mind. I like that its shorter and more team based when compared to most other MOBA's (and it helps that I like a lot of the characters), but being so much more casual also means that it won't attract most of the MOBA audience who come for the competitive aspect. It doesn't help that Blizzard also stated that they would put the game on maintenance mode and cancel all e-sport events. Its a good game to pick up when your in the mood, but it does lack a lot of the depth compared to DotA 2 and LoL.
    I agree. But don't confuse gold and personal experience with competitiveness. Nothing in the game makes HotS less competitive than DotA. People don't like it because they can't single-handedly solo an enemy team after farming for 45 minutes in the jungle.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post
    Omg you made me watch Angry Joe Show from 10+ years ago
    I've not been a fan of AJS and his review style but I am in total agreement with this video.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  15. #15
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    1,800
    Heroes of Might and Magic (I liked 3 best and wish someone would remaster it, but the franchise as a whole). Someone above said kings Bounty was like that so I'm gonna need to try those out soon.

    Dragon Age Inquisition - I liked it, sue me. Though I absolutely mod the table to remove the time gating crap.

    Mass Effect Andromeda- I loved the combat in that game
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"

  16. #16
    - Metroid Other M. I don't really get the hate this game receives. For me it still is one of my most favorite Metroid games. I just loved the fusion between first person Prime gameplay and the traditional sidescrolling "vania" gameplay. It was also one of the few Wii games where I actually enjoyed the motion controls.

    - Binary Domain. It really is a shame this game did not get all the love it deserved, in my opinion. I thought it had really fun third person cover shooter gameplay, the enemies were fun to fight against, the characters I thought were very likable, and the story was interesting. The ending even teases at a possible sequel but obviously we never got one which really is a shame. It makes me sad. I find myself going back to that game every once in a while just because of how fun it is.

    - Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. This game also deserved way more love and attention than it got. It plays kind of like Ico but with a big demon companion. I absolutely loved this game through and through. This game also teased at a sequel but of course never got one. I remember whe nI beat it Ireally wanted the sequel to come out but never did. Again, makes me sad.

    - Timesplitters series. It is a crime that they are not a popular series. Still to this day I consider these games especially TS 2 and TS Future Perfect to be my favorite FPS games of all time. The gameplay, the characters, the music (god, the music...), and the amount of unlockable content these games had was just amazing. Whenever a discussion comes up talking about how games are today I bring up TS 2 and TS Future Perfect as prime examples of how games should be made in terms of content.

    To wrap this up I'll just name some others.
    - Freedom Fighters
    - Custom Robo (specifically the one for Gamecube)
    - Pokemon Colosseum (best Pokemon game ever hands down)
    - I-Ninja
    - Vanquish
    - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
    - Mad Max (PS4/Xbox One)

    I have many more but I'll leave it there.
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

  17. #17
    Final Fantasy Tactics, I love that game and play it on my PSP yet when I can. Id love to have another game like it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    - Freedom Fighters
    Dude...Dude...i was addicted to that game for so long.
    A masterpiece.

    Controlling your units with that aim system...heck i even ended up feeling bad for my fallen comrades and would go back to save them.
    I was so young at the time...but this game was one of my favorites of all time.

    This game never took off Never seen a sequel

  19. #19
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Unda da bridge, mon
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    - Metroid Other M. I don't really get the hate this game receives. For me it still is one of my most favorite Metroid games. I just loved the fusion between first person Prime gameplay and the traditional sidescrolling "vania" gameplay. It was also one of the few Wii games where I actually enjoyed the motion controls.

    - Binary Domain. It really is a shame this game did not get all the love it deserved, in my opinion. I thought it had really fun third person cover shooter gameplay, the enemies were fun to fight against, the characters I thought were very likable, and the story was interesting. The ending even teases at a possible sequel but obviously we never got one which really is a shame. It makes me sad. I find myself going back to that game every once in a while just because of how fun it is.

    - Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom. This game also deserved way more love and attention than it got. It plays kind of like Ico but with a big demon companion. I absolutely loved this game through and through. This game also teased at a sequel but of course never got one. I remember whe nI beat it Ireally wanted the sequel to come out but never did. Again, makes me sad.

    - Timesplitters series. It is a crime that they are not a popular series. Still to this day I consider these games especially TS 2 and TS Future Perfect to be my favorite FPS games of all time. The gameplay, the characters, the music (god, the music...), and the amount of unlockable content these games had was just amazing. Whenever a discussion comes up talking about how games are today I bring up TS 2 and TS Future Perfect as prime examples of how games should be made in terms of content.

    To wrap this up I'll just name some others.
    - Freedom Fighters
    - Custom Robo (specifically the one for Gamecube)
    - Pokemon Colosseum (best Pokemon game ever hands down)
    - I-Ninja
    - Vanquish
    - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
    - Mad Max (PS4/Xbox One)

    I have many more but I'll leave it there.
    Timesplitters 2 on Gamecube was the holy grail for me and my friends for like 3-4 years, where we would always go back to it.
    Buuilding maps, playing "zombie survival" (all zombie like models on opposing team, crank difficulty to max), it was like a throwback to the days of Goldeneye and we had hours long sessions almost every weekend.

    One of my all-time favorites was Front Mission 4.
    I wouldn't say it was completely underappreciated, but it had mediocre reviews and I think it may have been a bigger deal in Japan, but it was one of my all-time favorites for PS1 and a great tactical RPG, with customized mechs, various different weapons with effects and range, and the ability to target specific "body parts" of opposing mechs, adding to the strategy of how to approach and defeat every map.
    Tactical combat games have always been some of my favorites.

    I think the top of my list, though, in terms of all-time favorites that I don't think got as much love from Western gamers is the Shining Force series.
    Shining in the Darkness was a fun old school dungeon crawler that took me all summer to beat (I was 10 when I got it, give me a break), but the follow ups Shining Force I & II, I can't tell you how many times I've played those start to finish.
    As another in the Tactical RPG line, it was probably what first hooked me into both RPGs and into tactical games.
    Everything was grid-based, move and attack, with different weapons, leveling up and promotions into new classes, building team comps to get the best 12 for the situation (out of a pool of 30 characters, if you collect all the hidden ones, which ofc I do each and every time, even if they are garbage).
    I feel like in Japan this series is still relevant and they are releasing games for it still, I believe, but I wish more people would get introduced to the glory of these games.
    That, and I want am old school remaster of them, with updated graphics and animations, but still keep the true heart of gameplay intact.

  20. #20
    Two come to mind:

    1. Jericho, a Clive Barker-themed Horror shooter. I thought the game had such a cool concept and I liked the shooter squad aspect mixed with creative horror bits. I am not really an FPS type of player but I loved horror as a genre and this game seemed way cool to me. I really enjoyed it but it tanked.

    2. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, a "Van Helsing" themed ARPG in the vein of a Diablo or Path of Exile. Though a small budget game, the devs were so creative in mixing things up as the series went on. I was always impressed by their commitment to the product and the game had a great setting. Pretty witty writing and fun mechanics.

    Edit: Also, I am not sure if "unpopular" but Apex Legends is one of the most fun arena/co-op shooters in my opinion. I think it's far more engaging and creative than games like PUBG. Fortnite, Lawbreakers, etc.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •