Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    Address: 185 Oneida Cres, Richmond Hill, Ontario

Squishiest tank in mythic raiding ?

Hi,

What's the "squishiest" tank in mythic raiding ATM ?

I haven't played since Cata, and back then blood DKs were the "squishiest" (spikiest dmg)... is that still the case ??

Thanks

And by "squishy" I mean "spikiest" dmg (takes the most dmg (and requires the most healing (including self heals)))
    Last edited by Mike tang 1991; 2021-03-31 at 04:04 PM.

If you consider that spiky damage on a tank as being squishy then sure, blood DKs still take a lot of spiky damage. Doesnt mean they're squishy though. Prot paladins have been the squishiest tank in raids for a while now, pretty sure it's the same in M+ too.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to think Protection Warrior for this expansion, but I just timed a +17 and +18 with this baller Warrior tank from Bleeding Hollow and he was super tanky.

Perhaps he was just that good with timing Shield Block and/or applying Ignore Pain. We did a lot of big zerg-like AoE pulls so perhaps he timed Last Stand/Shield Wall usages pretty well?

Either way, he dismissed that assumption.

5+ Year Old Account
    Currently all tanks are squishy pass a certain key.
    A lot of tanks are upset at having to kite tank in order to reach higher keys.

It’s part of way DH is doing so well at high keys. It can take the hits for a bit then fall back while still holding agro.

But as a healer I have found DK the squishiest in raids. Blizzard did a bad job of tuning for them.

Strongest tanks for the current raid is DH and Warrior.
    Last edited by TigTone; 2021-02-27 at 03:37 PM.

I could be mistaken but as far as i can see the OP is asking about mythic Raiding and not mythic dungeons.

Dunno how much kiting is relevant for tanks in mythic Raids but its probably not as extreme as is in mythic dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    I could be mistaken but as far as i can see the OP is asking about mythic Raiding and not mythic dungeons.

Dunno how much kiting is relevant for tanks in mythic Raids but its probably not as extreme as is in mythic dungeons.
    The posts in this thread are hilarious. The title literally says mythic raiding, as does his post.

Reading comprehension sure is hard. To answer OP, Warrior at the moment. But it's a hard thing to gauge, every tank should be relatively comfortable in a raid setting, because the damage is a lot smoother and consistent if you're rotating cooldowns. Logs seem to suggest Warrior, though, for the majority of fights.

Arguments can be made for both Paladins and DKs, but their sustain makes up for a lot of their damage intake. In terms of raw damage intake DK is easily the 'squishiest'.
    Last edited by Ryzeth; 2021-02-27 at 04:11 PM.

Personally I feel like DKs and Prot Palas is the most squishiest. But, DKs is quite solid, but the spikes from their self heal makes me skip a heartbeat every time. But PPalas is like, they have HP and then they lose their mitigation and drop to the floor. I might be wrong, but those tanks are those I rather not have tanking the keys I’m in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike tang 1991 View Post
    Hi,

What's the "squishiest" tank in mythic raiding ATM ?

I haven't played since Cata, and back then blood DKs were the "squishiest" (spikiest dmg)... is that still the case ??

Thanks
    Paladin by far. They kind of need to be though, they do 20-30% more damage than any other tank and have the most utility, if they weren't squishy they would be the only tank you ever see.

Prot Palas without their CDs up are the squishiest tank. They do good damage and have pretty good utility though.

prot palas without a doubt, they still pay for their utility and useful cds by being super squishy, the moment they get more tanky, why would you bring any tank other than palas with how strong their cds are anyways.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbro View Post
    prot palas without a doubt, they still pay for their utility and useful cds by being super squishy, the moment they get more tanky, why would you bring any tank other than palas with how strong their cds are anyways.
    Probably because two other tanks offer raid cooldowns and one has important boss debuff. I'd say that's pretty high up there for utility.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Probably because two other tanks offer raid cooldowns and one has important boss debuff. I'd say that's pretty high up there for utility.
    You genuinely think dh tank and warr tank was brought to world first race cause of their cooldowns? please tell me you arent this naive.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I missed the part where you mentioned world first race. Wait, no, I didn't, you "cleverly" changed your argument. The vast majority of guilds can't afford to be anywhere near as picky as those, plus even from minmaxing standpoint, there are legitimate reasons for at least two other tanks.

mythic world first was done with a prot warrior and they have only been buffed since so warrior is definitely not the answer. In terms of damage taken, its DK but thats part of their design. Prot paladins by far the squishiest however.

- - - Updated - - -

You genuinely think dh tank and warr tank was brought to world first race cause of their cooldowns? please tell me you arent this naive.
    Actually, yes.

Did you see Havoc at the start of the xpac? It wasn't viable at all, VDH was absolutely brought just for the debuff and would have been used even if they where the worst tank in the game because of this. Havoc was THAT bad and not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Did you see Havoc at the start of the xpac? It wasn't viable at all, VDH was absolutely brought just for the debuff and would have been used even if they where the worst tank in the game because of this. Havoc was THAT bad and not an option.
    Thats exactly the point, vdh was brought only because of havoc being trash tier, the moment havoc becomes a bit better (which is already the case) then there will be 0 reason to bring 1 aka they werent used cause of being good or cause of their actual kit, same with warrior, if vdh and prot warr dps counterparts werent trash tier , none of these tanks would've been used.
    Last edited by Frozenbro; 2021-03-30 at 02:09 AM.

There seems to be a LOT of confusion around how DKs work, and what "squishy" means. Maybe OP could pop back in and offer some insight - are you saying SPIKE damage? Or just how hard they are to keep alive through a raid?

I think its an important distinction to make, as most are aware self healing tanks, such as DK, certainly take a lot of damage, and it can be in pretty big spikes, however they also heal back a substantial amount of said spike damage. This is how you can tell a good DK from a shit one - one will just spam DS whenever they can, and one will pool and hold to use it on said big attack. To be fair, im obviously not saying they sit capped, but the planning and resource management is an important part of the spec.

Personally, for the first time in a long time, i have seen next to no prot wars. I know they are out there, and probably doing just fine - mine is sitting at 60 just chilling for now but he will get use at some stage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    mythic world first was done with a prot warrior and they have only been buffed since so warrior is definitely not the answer. In terms of damage taken, its DK but thats part of their design. Prot paladins by far the squishiest however.
    Further to my above post, one guild (the best in the world) bringing a warrior tank is not really enough evidence to say "they are great" when we are talking about players FAR down the pecking order. World first guilds have been known to bring "unusual" specs, because they are played at such a high level, by literally the best players in the world. That does NOT mean that Joe Blogs can replicate that level of gameplay with his cat on his lap and a nice cup of tea.

Im NOT saying warriors are bad, but there is something encouraging people to play something other than warrior. But again, my experience is exactly that - mine, so others may have seen nothing BUT prot warriors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    I used to think Protection Warrior for this expansion, but I just timed a +17 and +18 with this baller Warrior tank from Bleeding Hollow and he was super tanky.

Perhaps he was just that good with timing Shield Block and/or applying Ignore Pain. We did a lot of big zerg-like AoE pulls so perhaps he timed Last Stand/Shield Wall usages pretty well?

Either way, he dismissed that assumption.
    And here we have our true answer:

The Tank that's played by a bad player.

A Good player will make anything shine. A Terribad playing FOTM will still fail miserably.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

While in raids the difference in tanks matters much less the main reasons a progression guild brings certain classes is for thier buffs, its very important for early progression especially when some classes actually need gear to be useful or require to be fixed so the class is not useless, so your the one actually being naive.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I think its an important distinction to make, as most are aware self healing tanks, such as DK, certainly take a lot of damage, and it can be in pretty big spikes, however they also heal back a substantial amount of said spike damage. This is how you can tell a good DK from a shit one - one will just spam DS whenever they can, and one will pool and hold to use it on said big attack. To be fair, im obviously not saying they sit capped, but the planning and resource management is an important part of the spec.
    There is no TANK balance with player skill involved, otherwise the active tank mitigation with DK tanks would have to make them the best tanks by default.

Look at BFA, monks had so much PASSIVE MITITGATION that a disconnected monk tank in a higher m+ key would cause issues, because they would not die - with ~90% passive mitigation.

We just had a whole expension with that ridiculous difference in tanking and you dare to claim that PLAYER SKILL involved in tanking is the deciding factor if a tank spec is good or bad? Ridiculous!

Blizzard at some point wanted to make tanking more active (read: player skill more impactfull), they used the DeathKnight as a guinea pig but the other tanking specs were never really changed that much into the active direction.

Its just bad tanking balance and that the most demanding (read: active) tank spec got one of the worst tank dps and tank mitigation is not even the outlier in balancing. It happens with healing and dps roles aswell, because blizzard DEVs dont play most classes in the game and simply dont even understand the issues player see in the game.
    -