Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    It's actually closer to the original meaning of left vs right dating back to the French Revolution where the question was between monarchy/totalitarian rule and democracy. I get that meanings change over time but my point is that the political spectrum is often more nuanced than "do we nationalize the farms, comrade?" or not.
    If we go back to the French Revolution, its a bit more complicated as the Left-Right opposition echoed many more things :

The Left was born as La Montagne (the Mountain), often referred as the Jacobin, from a club's name, and consisted of many Freemasons from the Capital that advocated a strong central power, calling on the Parisian Mob, peaking in Robespierre's Terror and the culling of disagreeing provinces.

The Right was born as Le Marais (the Swamp), often referred as the Girondins, from the area many came from (The Gironde, where Bordeaux is, and which interestingly has always been very exposed to Britain, trough its history as part of the Angevin Kingdom and the trade of wine with the British Isles). Those were advocating the decentralization of power and a constitutional monarchy, and were wary of insurections.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I live in a self-declared illiberal democracy and I am quite sure a liberal one is better.
    I mean sure. Orban is a fascist prick, but that is not really the point of the thread I think. Mostly being that the left/right spectrum is defined by economics and the strength of the hierarchy in society(i.e race issues). While the top vs bottom of the OPs chart is about race issue, while the political spectrum uses authoritarian states vs Libertarian/anarchist governments.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2021-03-04 at 01:06 PM.

Is this an example of "feelings doesn't care about facts"?

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    There's no reason to be angry at anything except the CCP and the virus they ignored for months without telling anyone. After the virus and a short-term recession passes then we're basically going to be in the best place ever. It seems like news happens faster now and the world is advancing at an accelerating pace so I'm not sure why you would be angry instead of excited.

I think what's happening is you're thinking about all the stuff you hate like right wing movements, religious extremism, corporations, billionaires getting richer and richer, pollution, and poverty(which is historically very low) and then you're letting it all overwhelm you and it causes you to be outraged about everything all the time. Your problem is that you are seriously underestimating the power of humans to work together to resolves differences and overcome all challenges, and I find that be very disappointing that you are so mistaken.
    CCP is responsible for their actions. Just like you are for yours in supporting blatantly bad government and policy. Trump is 100% fully responsible for his poor response to the virus and it is not China's fault that Trump of his own free will chose to ignore scientists, health experts, and of his own free will chose to listen to crazies. Just like it's 100% your fault you choose to defend it. The CCP bears zero responsibility in Trump's choice to not wear a mask for months ignoring his own CDC's advice just like it bears no responsibility for Trump locking himself in a hermetically sealed vehicle putting the lives of those protecting him in unnecessary danger as he left the hospital against doctor's orders to waive to racist Proud Boy Supporters again unmasked.

Put simply so even you can get it: China's hiding the virus or not has nothing to do with Trump's terrible response after he knew full well the seriousness of the situation. At best it mitigates some of the response in January/December in the very very beginning of the pandemic. You have months of objective failure after the virus was fully known you're attempting to absolve with the world's most idiotic excuse. Stop it. You dishonest shill.

Your problem is you say a lot of empty meaningless bullshit. And when confronted with facts you either cower or just simply hand waive them away because doing the work and thinking critically is anathema to you.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2021-03-04 at 05:42 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Liberal values include things like free market capitalism and free trade. Both things left wing parties aren't particularly fond of since they tend to be pretty awful for workers. This graph is definitely not a left/right axis graph. It shows that Democrats are liberal, not that they're left wing.

I'm also not terribly convinced of the accuracy of this graph. As batshit insane as Republicans are they definitely aren't worse than Hungary's far right part on minority rights.