Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And it only runs at 1/2 the speed!
    And it doesn't require perfect vacuum to be maintained in order to avoid a catastrophic failure that would kill basically everyone in the breached loop.

    Sounds like a good compromise to me but what do I know

  2. #62
    Merely a Setback breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    25,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Dang you guys are super mad that elon musk invented the subway.
    the subway was invented decades before musk was even born. did you just fall asleep in basic history class when they discussed new york's extensive subway construction in the late 1800's and early 1900's?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  3. #63
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    And Virgin Hyperloop is citing new Federal Railroad guidance that discusses hyperloop using maglev.
    To me it seems likely that if we see Hyperloop it will just be re-branded bullet trains.
    I do love me some Startup Innovation:

    Step 1: Take an existing concept
    Step 2: Rebrand it and add shiny objects to it
    Step 3: Release a few press releases with as much obfuscating jargon as your PR team can come up with
    Step 4: Soak up millions in investor money while staying unprofitable for years

  4. #64
    Merely a Setback breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    25,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Weird that a failed idea would go into a museum but alright.
    it's going there to display just how gullible humanity is.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    the subway was invented decades before musk was even born. did you just fall asleep in basic history class when they discussed new york's extensive subway construction in the late 1800's and early 1900's?
    It's called a joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    And it doesn't require perfect vacuum to be maintained in order to avoid a catastrophic failure that would kill basically everyone in the breached loop.

    Sounds like a good compromise to me but what do I know
    The hyperloop doesn’t require a perfect vacuum. Not sure why people keep claiming it does.

  7. #67
    Merely a Setback breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    25,874
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I don't know why people here are getting so personally excited over it either. I posted it because it was another milestone (the test run) that was going to be preserved in the Smithsonian.

    I think, IIRC, your criticisms against it, the cost, the financial impact on municipalities, are very valid. And I'll be the first to admit this might not pan out in the end.

    And even your source (thank you for that) shows it's not impossible/unfeasible, but just facing difficult challenges.
    you presented it like it was proof that the hyperloop is going to be realized. so your saying in exactly 8 months the hyperloop will be up and running?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  8. #68
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The hyperloop doesn’t require a perfect vacuum. Not sure why people keep claiming it does.
    https://virginhyperloop.com

    Vacuum

    We've created a near-vacuum environment, reducing the air pressure down to the equivalent of 200,000 ft above sea level. The near vacuum lowers aerodynamic drag significantly, allowing for higher speeds to be achieved while using minimal energy.
    I'm sorry, near perfect, and still as deadly if breached.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I have, several times, just for you - in other threads when you've asked. Just because you are President of the Musk Haters Club doesn't make the reality of your misunderstanding any less real. Go back and look for yourself - I'm not doing your work for you again.

    For those not familiar with Fargus' posting history - he HATES Musk, and anything related. If you want proof, go look at his posting history - the last few months, over half his posts have been irrational lashing outs over Musk. It's hysterical.
    I asked and I get the same line. You have never listed 24 countries... you're still being dishonest. My feelings of Musk is irrelevant and trying to bring my posting history into this is just laughable (what does that have to do with anything). You can't even address a simple question, you're evasive, just like your avatar. Asking questions like this and pointing out why certain things are impractical isn't "irrational" nor "hysterical". You can't even answer a simple question, get all flustered and link my posting history... who's being hysterical again? Goodness me, you're acting like a child.

    Regardless, I'm glad to see other people pointing out your BS.

    PS. I never bagged Tesla and SpaceX, so "anything related" is yet another dishonesty. Hell, I even gave credit for Musk's business acumen for SpaceX's success. Good work.
    Last edited by Fargus; 2021-03-03 at 10:35 PM.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    https://virginhyperloop.com



    I'm sorry, near perfect, and still as deadly if breached.
    I don’t think you know how vacuums work.

  11. #71
    The discussion here is way too heated for the subject... Personally I think it is possible, but I am not sure it is possible with our current technology and material level. And it will be very very expensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidax...h=2b0393191b16

    The old one, yes. The one they spent decades blowing money developing...not so much.
    That Forbes article... is, yeah... The title does not really correlate to the story, but hey, interpretation xD
    F-35 is up and running. Yes, yes it has issues, yes, the program was mismanaged, etc. but is running. Production numbers, order numbers and actual combat use are the proof of that and it is tiring seeing people repeating the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  12. #72
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    It Was Capitalism All Along
    Posts
    54,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    That Forbes article... is, yeah... The title does not really correlate to the story, but hey, interpretation xD
    F-35 is up and running. Yes, yes it has issues, yes, the program was mismanaged, etc. but is running. Production numbers, order numbers and actual combat use are the proof of that and it is tiring seeing people repeating the opposite.
    I mean sure, the program is running in the same way that a flaming bus is technically 'running'.

    In terms of accomplishing what the program set out to do? No, it's been a massive failure in every respect. "Some models have been successfully produced and have seen limited combat deployment" is all well and good until you remember the procurement program was supposed to provide a future proofed long term replacement for multiple preceding models and roles of aircraft, which is why the high budget and cost overruns were even seen as justifiable.

    That there are functioning Zumwalts and Littoral Combat Ships doesn't make either of those programs successful, either.
    "Multiculturalism has failed!" angrily types a person of European descent living in the Americas in a Germanic language using Roman characters on a device coded with Arabic numerals before leaving in a huff to go watch cartoons made in Japan.

  13. #73
    The Unstoppable Force Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gen-OT College of Shitposting
    Posts
    20,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I don’t think you know how vacuums work.
    Moving the goalposts huh?

    Aight, let me know what an object moving at 100 m/s (per their website) colliding with a wall of air from a vacuum breach does to said object.

    Here's a hint: it looks a lot like car crash tests, except it's a downstream reaction for the entire loop until you can seal the tube.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Moving the goalposts huh?

    Aight, let me know what an object moving at 100 m/s (per their website) colliding with a wall of air from a vacuum breach does to said object.

    Here's a hint: it looks a lot like car crash tests, except it's a downstream reaction for the entire loop until you can seal the tube.
    Only if you don’t know how to design the object and safety features...

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Only if you don’t know how to design the object and safety features...
    What safety features? What happens if there's a fire? What if someone has a heart attack en-route?

    How are you going to ensure the safety of the occupants once some random shooter depressurises the entire loop?

    Please teach us, professor.

  16. #76
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    There's nothing stopping bullet trains from running underground. South Korea already has two sections of maglev with 60 and 50 KM tunnels respectively and Japan's Shinkansen's new Nagoya to Osaka rail will be like 80+% underground. And they've already opened their tunnel to Hokkaido a couple years ago.

    Like, I know Hyperloop is a fun a crazy idea, but there's so many more practical solutions to public transport.
    So take the Hyperloop, skip the bullshit vacuum part, and send it through a 90%+ underground tunnel. Interesting. A few posters have indicated they see Hyperloop going strong on hype and dying later from practical issues - I wonder if this is how it would end up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except way more technically challenging (with tons of problems still left so solve), and more expensive, and less practical. About the only thing it has going for it based on where it's at and where it's likely to be in the near-term future, it's an interesting tech to continue pursuing but there really aren't any practical applications that aren't done just as effectively, and cheaper, via traditional methods a la bullet trains.

    I've been looking into it more lately, and while there may be a future a longer ways off, right now it functionally looks like the Juicero.
    Are the main feasibility issues the underground/aboveground vacuum? I would expect that as far as the toughest of the many technological challenges. The financial/practical issues being the nontechnical challenge.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    A few posters have indicated they see Hyperloop going strong on hype and dying later from practical issues - I wonder if this is how it would end up.
    We've been telling you this from day dot. So now it's suddenly not the ramblings of the Musk Hate Club?

  18. #78
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,498
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you presented it like it was proof that the hyperloop is going to be realized. so your saying in exactly 8 months the hyperloop will be up and running?
    I did no such thing - you read it wrong - it wasn't presented like that at all. Please reread the OP. The Smithsonian display will be up in 8 months.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    I asked and I get the same line. You have never listed 24 countries... you're still being dishonest. My feelings of Musk is irrelevant and trying to bring my posting history into this is just laughable (what does that have to do with anything). You can't even address a simple question, you're evasive, just like your avatar. Asking questions like this and pointing out why certain things are impractical isn't "irrational" nor "hysterical". You can't even answer a simple question, get all flustered and link my posting history... who's being hysterical again? Goodness me, you're acting like a child.

    Regardless, I'm glad to see other people pointing out your BS.

    PS. I never bagged Tesla and SpaceX, so "anything related" is yet another dishonesty. Hell, I even gave credit for Musk's business acumen for SpaceX's success. Good work.
    I have - several times when you've asked previously. Your emotional state regarding Musk is entirely relevant - we only have to look at your ridiculous posting history to see you only come out of the woodwork.

    I'm not saying the questions are irrational and hysterical - I'm saying YOU are irrational and hysterical - because you're just blinded by your emotionally based hatred for Musk. It's pathetic. And then to call me a liar...this is why no one takes you seriously. I mean...you can't even read an avatar correctly.

    Yes - it's nice other people can have an adult conversation about a topic. We're still waiting for you to reach that level.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I mean sure, the program is running in the same way that a flaming bus is technically 'running'.

    In terms of accomplishing what the program set out to do? No, it's been a massive failure in every respect. "Some models have been successfully produced and have seen limited combat deployment" is all well and good until you remember the procurement program was supposed to provide a future proofed long term replacement for multiple preceding models and roles of aircraft, which is why the high budget and cost overruns were even seen as justifiable.

    That there are functioning Zumwalts and Littoral Combat Ships doesn't make either of those programs successful, either.
    You think that with 600 hundred made and couple thousand more one the way it won't replace F-15/16/18/Harrier/A-10 (ok, last one under question)? Brah. The program is in full force, follow the production numbers - those are increasing, the replacement will obviously happen. Those planes are going to be flying decades from now, long after other planes will be gone.

    Zumwalts are an example of times when politicians should not make decisions they do not understand (you should be jailed for leaving warships without ammunition) and of management failures/weak audits/bad planning et.c. There are still more than 10 LCS to be delivered (of both classes).
    Also - technical experience gained by them will be kept and is invaluable. USA won't be building Burkes forever after all.

    In your place I would suggest looking at USA military procurement problems, from military, Congress and company sides, not the models themselves. The mantra that F-35 is bad has been overdone way too much and you should feel bad for repeating it. If Israeli air force, arguably 2nd best/most experienced air force in the world with actual combat missions have no issue using it, then maybe the plane actually is good. Just saying...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  20. #80
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    We've been telling you this from day dot. So now it's suddenly not the ramblings of the Musk Hate Club?
    Oh sweetie...really? You've been telling us that it might go from a Hyperloop to a maglev construct if the technical issues aren't worked out in the near future. Please link that for us - we'll wait.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •