Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    The monorail from Simpsons... yeah, that's what many are thinking right now.
    Technically doable, for certain, it's not that huge deal after all. Commercially viable, that's a whole different topic I wouldn't bet any of my money on. When all relevant safety precautions are in place, the capacity can be (is?) a concern as well, you can't just queue up those pods with few meters of clearance. Add on top that conventional high-speed rails are at the 300kph/200mph range already, and the maglev designs have recently(ish) hit the 600kph/370mph mark, I don't see a very bright future for this hyperloop concept, except for the conmen behind public projects reaping government money.
    Concorde cut travel time quite a bit as well but was commercially a god-awful disaster after the oil crisis had landed. Noise concerns added fuel to the fire (no pun intended), but anyhow, that was a technical marvel and a commercial disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by ifrah View Post
    The monorail from Simpsons... yeah, that's what many are thinking right now.
    Technically doable, for certain, it's not that huge deal after all. Commercially viable, that's a whole different topic I wouldn't bet any of my money on. When all relevant safety precautions are in place, the capacity can be (is?) a concern as well, you can't just queue up those pods with few meters of clearance. Add on top that conventional high-speed rails are at the 300kph/200mph range already, and the maglev designs have recently(ish) hit the 600kph/370mph mark, I don't see a very bright future for this hyperloop concept, except for the conmen behind public projects reaping government money.
    Concorde cut travel time quite a bit as well but was commercially a god-awful disaster after the oil crisis had landed. Noise concerns added fuel to the fire (no pun intended), but anyhow, that was a technical marvel and a commercial disaster.
    Good episode. Interesting parody's to the Music Man as well.

The commercial viability of Hyperloop will be the biggest issue. I'm betting that the Government pays for most of the development cost, which won't be recouped.

Interesting that you mentioned Concorde - it was a development nightmare, with both France and the U.K. losing money - but it was commercially profitable.

I would imagine that the project, as it comes to fruiting, will also have ancilary benefits - perhaps down the road, from the tech developed in designing and producing an under/above-ground vacuum passenger and cargo transport.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Good episode. Interesting parody's to the Music Man as well.

The commercial viability of Hyperloop will be the biggest issue. I'm betting that the Government pays for most of the development cost, which won't be recouped.

Interesting that you mentioned Concorde - it was a development nightmare, with both France and the U.K. losing money - but it was commercially profitable.

I would imagine that the project, as it comes to fruiting, will also have ancilary benefits - perhaps down the road, from the tech developed in designing and producing an under/above-ground vacuum passenger and cargo transport.
    Thanks for the clarification, rushed the last paragraph. Profitable for those two airlines at the end of the day after the British & French governments poured in the billion(s). This funding resulting that the actual sales price of the aircraft did not have to absorb the project cost, so on a broader scope it was a major scale commercial failure.
    Anyway, at the end of the day, would see the similarities there with this Hyperloop plan that unless government(s) absorb some massive hits, it won't happen in the first place, let alone in any (pseudo)-profitable way for some rail operator. And there also lies another weakness of a private company investing any of their precious pennies in this. An aircraft is still an aircraft, you're not building and constructing the airports and aerospace as the carrier, but these Hyperloop operators would either need to do that too, or go for the government pouch again to get the maintenance which probably will be a tiny wee bit more than your normal railroad takes.