Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Virgin Hyperloop's Historic Pod is Going to the Smithsonian

The vacuum-sealed pod transit system, outlined in a 2013 white paper by Elon Musk, is set to feature in an upcoming Arts and Industries Building exhibition themed around the future, Inverse can reveal. Visitors to the Smithsonian’s Futures exhibition, which starts in November 2021 and marks the institute’s 175th anniversary, will see Virgin Hyperloop’s Pegasus XP-2 pod up close for the first time.

Full Article

And?

An exhibition of an incredibly impractical concept that still isn't transporting anyone... not sure how this is threadworthy. Btw, the idea of a Hyperloop has been around for over a century already.

Why? It is a stupid idea that doesn't work and won't work... it's an historic fuck up.

7+ Year Old Account
    lol, cubby is not giving up on the HyperLoop, I respect his persistence. The HyperLoop may go down as one of the many failed technologies where the inventors underestimated the problems with scaling it up for real-world use. Who knows though, maybe they'll discover something new in the next decade that makes it feasible. Commercial airplanes can go 400+ MPH but it'd also be cool to have the same option below ground.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-03 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    lol, cubby is not giving up on the HyperLoop, I respect his persistence. The pod may go down as one of the many failed technologies where the inventors underestimated the problems with scaling it up for real-world use. Who knows though, maybe they'll discover something new in the next decade that makes it feasible. Commercial airplanes can go 400+ MPH but it'd also be cool to have the same option below ground.
    For someone constantly blinded by optimism, you aren't very optimistic about this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    For someone constantly blinded by optimism, you aren't very optimistic about this.
    I'm very optimistic that there can be faster, cheaper, and safer means of transportation. However that does not change the fact that the majority of new ideas will always be failures and that the graveyard of ideas will always be much larger than the total amount of successful ideas.

Ah, well - I think it should be added to another museum, but there's still chance of that later.

In order to succeed you must first fail. People who laugh at the Hyperloop are the same category of people who laughed at the Wright Brothers.

Even if it never becomes reality, the information and further insights are valuable enough and will help us to advance in one way or the other.

That's neat.

So long as we're talking about an art exhibition featuring impractical "futuristic" technology, maybe it will be near the spot they give to the Solar Freakin' Roadways.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    In order to succeed you must first fail. People who laugh at the Hyperloop are the same category of people who laughed at the Wright Brothers.

Even if it never becomes reality, the information and further insights are valuable enough and will help us to advance in one way or the other.
    They are not the same category though. Wright brothers were criticized because they proposed something completely new and foreign to science at the time, that merged several novelty ideas into one - a heavier than air machine with an engine. More so, main criticism came from France from people who actually competed with Wrights in building a first powered flying machine. And main criticism was not that it is impossible, but that they did not believe that Wrights did it while their experiments were still in early stages. After whey were shown the actual machine, they admitted that they were wrong and granted Wrights honorary awards for advances in aviation.
    Issues with Hyperloop were apparent to anyone who had even vague ideas about vacuum chambers, tunnel construction, bridges, or any large steel constructions. It was a scam, a snake oil sale from day one. Anyone who was praising this idea uncritically, obviously never opened a book on material properties and likely failed at basic mathematics and common sense. The same goes for their later burp about taking rocket shuttles instead of planes to travel around the globe faster and cheaper.
    Now, I am not saying that Hyperloop is technically impossible. It is possible in theory. However, it is as possible as taking a 737 everyday to get your morning coffee - theoretically yes, but realistically it would be cheaper to build a private coffee house in your attic and hire half a dozen staff to run it exclusively for your personal needs. Or just walk a couple of blocks to the nearest coffee shop, that could also work.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2021-03-02 at 04:58 PM.

what are they going to put on the plaque that explains to the audience what it is? if they stick to the facts it's not going to be very impressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dang you guys are super mad that elon musk invented the subway.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Why? It is a stupid idea that doesn't work and won't work... it's an historic fuck up.
    Totally stupid idea - of course it won't work. That's why dozens of cities/states/countries are working on independent projects from no less than four different hyperloop companies.

I hope they get in touch with you soon so you can show them the path to the light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Dang you guys are super mad that elon musk invented the subway.
    Anything remotely related to Musk brings out the Hate Squad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    That's neat.

So long as we're talking about an art exhibition featuring impractical "futuristic" technology, maybe it will be near the spot they give to the Solar Freakin' Roadways.
    Could you point us in the direction of where the Solar Roadway display is at the Smithsonian? We'll wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    They are not the same category though. Wright brothers were criticized because they proposed something completely new and foreign to science at the time, that merged several novelty ideas into one - a heavier than air machine with an engine. More so, main criticism came from France from people who actually competed with Wrights in building a first powered flying machine. And main criticism was not that it is impossible, but that they did not believe that Wrights did it while their experiments were still in early stages. After whey were shown the actual machine, they admitted that they were wrong and granted Wrights honorary awards for advances in aviation.
    Issues with Hyperloop were apparent to anyone who had even vague ideas about vacuum chambers, tunnel construction, bridges, or any large steel constructions. It was a scam, a snake oil sale from day one. Anyone who was praising this idea uncritically, obviously never opened a book on material properties and likely failed at basic mathematics and common sense. The same goes for their later burp about taking rocket shuttles instead of planes to travel around the globe faster and cheaper.
    Now, I am not saying that Hyperloop is technically impossible. It is possible in theory. However, it is as possible as taking a 737 everyday to get your morning coffee - theoretically yes, but realistically it would be cheaper to build a private coffee house in your attic and hire half a dozen staff to run it exclusively for your personal needs. Or just walk a couple of blocks to the nearest coffee shop, that could also work.
    Total scam and snake oil - which is why so many companies are cashing in on it with dozens of cities & countries forking over their cash. /s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    lol, cubby is not giving up on the HyperLoop, I respect his persistence. The pod may go down as one of the many failed technologies where the inventors underestimated the problems with scaling it up for real-world use. Who knows though, maybe they'll discover something new in the next decade that makes it feasible. Commercial airplanes can go 400+ MPH but it'd also be cool to have the same option below ground.
    Actually, it seems to be you guys not giving up on denying reality.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-03-02 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Could you point us in the direction of where the Solar Roadway display is at the Smithsonian? We'll wait.
    That's...the point. They wouldn't because it's stupid as hell. I guess the solar roadways people should have slapped Musk's name on it. Then they too could still be cashing in on the gullible even now.

Total scam and snake oil - which is why so many companies are cashing in on it with dozens of cities & countries forking over their cash. /s
    Since when does people falling for (or taking advantage of) a scam make it less of a scam?

Totally stupid idea - of course it won't work. That's why dozens of cities/states/countries are working on independent projects from no less than four different hyperloop companies.

I hope they get in touch with you soon so you can show them the path to the light.
    Why are you being rudely sarcastic?

The concept of the hyperloop has been around for over a century, the issue with the hyperloop deals with the need of this weird fucking vacuum space, the fact it travels so quickly, and the fact it needs mostly flat land with very little change in elevation and has a crazy turn radius.

The issue is that trying to maintain this vacuum is basically just impossible... never mind the other issues.

Dozens of cities doing something doesn't mean it will fucking work. Virginia has a test track... Virginia... by fucking apalachia it literally cannot work in that terrain.

It is idiocy and anti-logical to conclude "well if multiple areas are doing it, then it must be good"

Did you not watch the fucking monorail episode?

At least we can see it in a museum, because we sure as hell won't ever see it from inside moving us to places.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    That's...the point. They wouldn't because it's stupid as hell. I guess the solar roadways people should have slapped Musk's name on it. Then they too could still be cashing in on the gullible even now.
    Thanks for proving my point - the solar roads aren't in a museum because they won't work...weird that the hyperloop pod is in one, isn't it? Shout when you connect the dots - we'll wait.

Since when does people falling for (or taking advantage of) a scam make it less of a scam?
    We'll let you work out the logic on that one yourself. Hint: when it's not a scam.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you being rudely sarcastic?

The concept of the hyperloop has been around for over a century, the issue with the hyperloop deals with the need of this weird fucking vacuum space, the fact it travels so quickly, and the fact it needs mostly flat land with very little change in elevation and has a crazy turn radius.

The issue is that trying to maintain this vacuum is basically just impossible... never mind the other issues.

Dozens of cities doing something doesn't mean it will fucking work. Virginia has a test track... Virginia... by fucking apalachia it literally cannot work in that terrain.

It is idiocy and anti-logical to conclude "well if multiple areas are doing it, then it must be good"

Did you not watch the fucking monorail episode?
    Because you continue to deny reality. You said:
    Which is patently false. I figured a little sarcasm might shake up your reality denial. Worth a try.

My favorite part of your Haters Group is that so many groups of bright people are working on this, independently, and yet you guys still think it won't work. Like we all should listen to a couple of anons rather than literally hundreds of engineers.

I mean - you keep saying it won't work, and the people working on it keep pushing through milestones. You're hysterical.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    At least we can see it in a museum, because we sure as hell won't ever see it from inside moving us to places.
    Because all those engineers and companies and cities and countries don't know what you know?

Thanks for proving my point - the solar roads aren't in a museum because they won't work...weird that the hyperloop pod is in one, isn't it? Shout when you connect the dots - we'll wait.
    The USS Enterprise studio model from Star Trek TOS was displayed in the Smithsonian... By this logic, I assume you think Warp Drive is a viable technology right now as well.

We'll let you work out the logic on that one yourself. Hint: when it's not a scam.

- - - Updated - - -

Because you continue to deny reality. You said:

Which is patently false. I figured a little sarcasm might shake up your reality denial. Worth a try.

My favorite part of your Haters Group is that so many groups of bright people are working on this, independently, and yet you guys still think it won't work. Like we all should listen to a couple of anons rather than literally hundreds of engineers.

I mean - you keep saying it won't work, and the people working on it keep pushing through milestones. You're hysterical.

- - - Updated - - -

Because all those engineers and companies and cities and countries don't know what you know?
    Patently false? Is there a working hyperloop? Have all the same issue from 100 years ago been solved?

What mile stones? List them.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The USS Enterprise studio model from Star Trek TOS was displayed in the Smithsonian... By this logic, I assume you think Warp Drive is a viable technology right now as well.
    So they listed it as a studio model? Glad you're catching up to how this works. It's unfortunate that you don't realize each of your responses just points out how ridiculous your original premise was to begin with.

Let us know when they get those Solar Roads in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Patently false? Is there a working hyperloop? Have all the same issue from 100 years ago been solved?

What mile stones? List them.
    What issues from 100 years ago? List them. Use cites.

The milestones are literally listed in the OP article. Why you haven't read it is already patently clear.