Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No it's bloody not - https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-14888205.php

It's still expensive as shit, even when you don't factor in land prices.

Do you have an example of this in mind? Because that sounds pretty sketchy, though I'm no architect/construction guy so what do I know.
    I’m going by nj new construction prices. 3-5 story buildings capable of housing roughly 3000 recently sold for 75mn. Was built for 40mn before being sold. Obviously is the government put that “lock homeless people up” money into construction... we could easily solve the problem.

Nj and less than 10 miles away from New York City so very close to the city.

Edit:
    Actually 3k

But it was a luxury construction as most new constructions are. I’m sure it could be easily made to accommodate twice as many if not for that.
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-03-05 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I guess it depends on where you live. The math is pretty clear though - especially on Hyperloop station to city, that time would be cut down dramatically. 15-20 minutes max, if it's used that way. Tell me what you're thinking here, I feel like I'm missing something with what you're saying.
    Yes, you are missing a lot.

Let's assume they can deliver on their speeds, and their top speed is possible. Where are you getting 5 G's of force at 700 mph? Once you achieve the speed, there is no G force - G's come from acceleration, not cruising speed. And accelerating to 700 mph, starting at 0 mph, can be achieved in under 5 minutes at 0.09 G's. What am I missing here?
    That many commuter trains stop more often than every 5 minutes to pick up commuters - and thus the top-speed don't matter if there's not enough time to reach it; and you do that because people need to get on and off at different places.

Therefore Hyperloop will not reduce the part about getting to a central hub.
    (And technically speed does cause G-forces, when the train turns, which mean that at the hyped speed the curves will have radius of perhaps 8km to have comfortable acceleration.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Woah nice, that seemed unrealistic when I first read it but now that I think about it it does make perfect sense. People can accelerate to 70mph in a car in 6 seconds without any harmful G forces so 700mph in a minute sounds about right.
    There's a difference between "harmful" and unpleasant.
    Current trains allow you to work/watch movies/read on the trains and doing that when accelerating (or worse decelerating) too fast doesn't seem pleasant.

(this is meant in all kindness, without sarcasm - in case it sounds - just fyi)
    So help me out here, you seem to be disagreeing with my premise, but he last line in your post seems to be saying the opposite, that you agree with me. I am guessing that english is not your first language, and I'm not criticizing you at all here, but did you mean for your last sentence to end: "...doesn't mean it's not nonsense."? Bolded/underlined added by me.

I'm going on the premise that's what you meant - apologies ahead of time if you did not.
    Oops you are right, of course, i forgot the "not" and that totally invalidated my statement.
    I've edited the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    This sort of transportation problem can be solved with a maglev train (or hell, even simple high speed trains) if there was any real intent to solve it; however, the hyperloop is not meant to actually be a solution to a problem. It's a solution without a reasonable problem statement. Maglev trains are larger (allowing them to accommodate more passengers), faster, and cheaper than the hyperloop, as well as being well understood technologies that do not need to need to undergo the growing pains that new technologies have to (i.e.: missed considerations, such as poorly understood points of failure in the system). The hyperloop is really only designed for technophiles to drool over it while ignoring the problems with the technology.
    Maglev's another piece of delicious technology, but it puzzles me that you don't see that many of them around. I think there's one in Germany and that's about it for Europe? Here in Finland there's been decades worth of political intent to make a fast train line from Turku to Helsinki, cutting the 2 hour commute down to 1h 15min (though promoted as "one hour train"). We already have a line that takes the mentioned 2 hours, rounding through some of the coastline towns on the way. Since there's willingness to put millions into a slightly faster connection I wonder why I haven't heard anyone suggest a maglev solution. Do winter conditions cause problems for it?
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Maglev's another piece of delicious technology, but it puzzles me that you don't see that many of them around. I think there's one in Germany and that's about it for Europe? Here in Finland there's been decades worth of political intent to make a fast train line from Turku to Helsinki, cutting the 2 hour commute down to 1h 15min (though promoted as "one hour train"). We already have a line that takes the mentioned 2 hours, rounding through some of the coastline towns on the way. Since there's willingness to put millions into a slightly faster connection I wonder why I haven't heard anyone suggest a maglev solution. Do winter conditions cause problems for it?
    As far as I'm aware the only problem with maglev trains is their cost, which is upwards of hundreds of millions of dollars per mile, though this depends on where it is being built. This means that you could build a maglev, but constructing entirely new highways is just cheaper and may be better at dealing with traffic problems (i.e.: a single maglev rail vs. new 4+lane highways and highway extensions to high traffic areas with money to spare). As it currently stands, the hyperloop looks as though it will cost about the same per mile, regardless of whether it surpasses the maglev's speed, meaning that it will still likely be incredibly uncommon.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

<snip rah rah Musk Haters Club>
    Next time if you want to one-up someone with their posting history, at least put up a valid link.

Your replies to s_bushido and Themius prove my point quite clearly; when someone attacks the idea, you wave your hand in dismissal and just call them Musk Haters. That isn't an argument. It's being childish.

You haven't. Not once. You said it wasn't feasible - which is a different word, in case you're still so confused you don't understand simple english. I know it's tough to go back an look at your own posts, but when you figure it out, you'll see how wrong you've always been.
    Now you're just nitpicking. You might've noticed the we, professor. Which means, simply put: multiple people have told you why the concept is not going to work given the engineering and economic problems that have been presented to you for the nth time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    It seems so, but not that bad as Japan handles it in somewhat wintery conditions - the first link I found was
    http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get...FULLTEXT01.pdf (after a confusing first page it is in English).

However, I guess cost is also relevant - the Japanese high speed trains have had billions of passengers and some lines have 400,000 passengers per day; which is double the population of Turku.

It also indicates something important - Maglev is getting faster:
    In Japan some will run at least 500km/h in 2027 https://www.railway-technology.com/p...n-maglev-line/
    In China some plan to have it 600km/h already in 2025 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_China

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Yes, you are missing a lot.
    So much that you can't tell us?

That many commuter trains stop more often than every 5 minutes to pick up commuters - and thus the top-speed don't matter if there's not enough time to reach it; and you do that because people need to get on and off at different places.

Therefore Hyperloop will not reduce the part about getting to a central hub.
    (And technically speed does cause G-forces, when the train turns, which mean that at the hyped speed the curves will have radius of perhaps 8km to have comfortable acceleration.)
    It absolutely would reduce the time from home to central hub, because there would be fewest stops and faster travel. I'm talking about the time from being picked up at a station to getting "downtown".

- - - Updated - - -

It seems so, but not that bad as Japan handles it in somewhat wintery conditions - the first link I found was
    http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get...FULLTEXT01.pdf (after a confusing first page it is in English).

However, I guess cost is also relevant - the Japanese high speed trains have had billions of passengers and some lines have 400,000 passengers per day; which is double the population of Turku.

It also indicates something important - Maglev is getting faster:
    In Japan some will run at least 500km/h in 2027 https://www.railway-technology.com/p...n-maglev-line/
    In China some plan to have it 600km/h already in 2025 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_China
    Maglev would be the obvious choice if Hyperloop doesn't work out. However, Hyperloop has two benefits - more than twice as fast, and it will take up a minimal above ground real estate.

Hyperloop will travel 700+ mph, which is almost twice as fast as the maglev record. The usefulness of that speed is obviously in debate.

Hyperloop won't take up real estate, because 99% of it will be underground, so all the traditional issues of building rail lines (or, in this case, Maglev lines), won't be an issue.

However, Hyperloop has two benefits - more than twice as fast, and it will take up a minimal above ground real estate.
    Theoretically twice as fast*

I know I harp about this, but it's kinda a key sticking point since thus far hyperloop experiments in non-real-world conditions haven't even reached half the theoretical speeds it's capable of.

Being underground isn't something unique to hyperloop though, you can run maglev and other traditional rail underground as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Theoretically twice as fast*

I know I harp about this, but it's kinda a key sticking point since thus far hyperloop experiments in non-real-world conditions haven't even reached half the theoretical speeds it's capable of.

Being underground isn't something unique to hyperloop though, you can run maglev and other traditional rail underground as well.
    I wonder if Musk fanbois ever ride the BART from SFO to The City.

The underground sections must appear as magic from an advanced civilization.

Then if they're really brave. They stay aboard and ride to Oakland .... underneath the Bay!

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I wonder if Musk fanbois ever ride the BART from SFO to The City.

The underground sections must appear as magic from an advanced civilization.

Then if they're really brave. They stay aboard and ride to Oakland .... underneath the Bay!
    FUN FACT! If you've ever ridden on BART and gone through the trans-bay tube from West Oakland -> SF, remember that horrid screeching sound right as it first enters that also pops up during turns?

That's in Dead Space. The audio team recorded it and used a lot of those sounds in the game - https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment...n-13530076.php

So much that you can't tell us?
    No. I told you in the next sentence. You should get your eyes fixed, rolling them that much cannot be good for you.

It absolutely would reduce the time from home to central hub, because there would be fewest stops and faster travel. I'm talking about the time from being picked up at a station to getting "downtown".
    And that time will likely not be reduced much since the Hyperloop lines are likely to just go from hub to hub for the reasons explained.
    Thus you will have to get downtown the old fashioned way (car, train, tram, walking, or helicopter if you are a high-flyer).

Maglev would be the obvious choice if Hyperloop doesn't work out. However, Hyperloop has two benefits - more than twice as fast, and it will take up a minimal above ground real estate.
    Non-hyperloop trains can also run both on pylons and underground; so there's no advantage in terms of real estate use - unless hyperloop skips safety margins.
    I'm a bit uncertain what makes people think that faster trains in vacuum would need less safety consideration than normal trains.

Hyperloop will travel 700+ mph, which is almost twice as fast as the maglev record. The usefulness of that speed is obviously in debate.
    You missed that China plans to have maglev running at 600 km/h in a few years (the current maglev record is 603 km/h), that's 372 mph, so Hyperloop if it happens won't be twice as fast. (Yes, here you write 'almost twice as fast' - a few lines above it was 'more than twice as fast'.)

Hyperloop won't take up real estate, because 99% of it will be underground, so all the traditional issues of building rail lines (or, in this case, Maglev lines), won't be an issue.
    Several Hyperloop projects disagree with your underground ambitions.
    Maglev can also work in tunnels, and some well-known cities like London, New York, and Paris have commuter trains that mostly run underground.
    You might have heard of them.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    And that time will likely not be reduced much since the Hyperloop lines are likely to just go from hub to hub for the reasons explained.
    Thus you will have to get downtown the old fashioned way (car, train, tram, walking, or helicopter if you are a high-flyer).
    But they won't - there can be multiple stops, not just hub to hub, because acceleration and deceleration turns out to be a non factor. You can go from 0 to 700 mph in under 2 minutes with only 0.3G. You mentioned turns affecting the G's, but it would be negligible.

So, big picture - there parts in the commuter experience:
    (1) home to suburb station: this will likely be increased, since Hyperloop stops won't be as frequent - possibly.
    (2) suburb station to metropolis hub: significantly shorter (see math above). Acceleration and deceleration are a nonfactor in getting up to full [theoretical] speed.
    (3) metropolis hub to office: no change.

The Hyperloop, as envisioned, will dramatically decrease the commuting time for people who currently experience 2+ hour one-way commutes.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-03-05 at 06:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But they won't - there can be multiple stops, not just hub to hub, because acceleration and deceleration turns out to be a non factor. You can go from 0 to 700 mph in under a minute with only 0.1G. You mentioned turns affecting the G's, but it would be negligible.

So, big picture - there parts in the commuter experience:
    (1) home to suburb station: this will likely be increased, since Hyperloop stops won't be as frequent - possibly.
    (2) suburb station to metropolis hub: significantly shorter (see math above). Acceleration and deceleration are a nonfactor in getting up to full [theoretical] speed.

The Hyperloop, as envisioned, will dramatically decrease the commuting time for people who experience 2+ hour one-way commutes currently.
    How is that not just a less efficient train though?

Let's assume they keep the current pod concept where a pod can hold about half a dozen people:

Embarkation/debarkation times won't be different that a regular train, and that's being generous assuming airlock crossings don't add time. Except that compared to trains/metros the pods have severely crippled transport capacities. Even if you add dozens of debarkation areas to compensate, you're adding complexity and costs (and surface area) for a gimmick.

Even if you add dozens and dozens of stops, that's just even more complexity to an already technically challenged project, when existing solutions already do this better.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    How is that not just a less efficient train though?

Let's assume they keep the current pod concept where a pod can hold about half a dozen people:

Embarkation/debarkation times won't be different that a regular train, and that's being generous assuming airlock crossings don't add time. Except that compared to trains/metros the pods have severely crippled transport capacities. Even if you add dozens of debarkation areas to compensate, you're adding complexity and costs (and surface area) for a gimmick.

Even if you add dozens and dozens of stops, that's just even more complexity to an already technically challenged project, when existing solutions already do this better.
    The pods under current concept, holds 23 people.

It's more efficient because the train goes much faster, and the stops essentially don't detract from the overall speed, because acceleration/deceleration aren't a factor. True, embark/debark times won't change, but Hyperloop going so much faster will dramatically decrease the overall commute, at least for the middle, longest section.

But they won't - there can be multiple stops, not just hub to hub, because acceleration and deceleration turns out to be a non factor. You can go from 0 to 700 mph in under 2 minutes with only 0.3G.
    And most commuter trains stop more than once every 5 minutes. Since the train both need to start and stop the time due to that will be double - or in other words they will not make commuter train stops - but rely on normal commuter trains for getting people to the hubs.

Additionally a train going 700mph does in 2 minutes go 23 miles; so stations will naturally be more than 23 miles apart (and likely several times that) as the idea is to run the train at high speed most of the distance and not spend the time at stations.
    Most Shinkansen lines have about one stop per 30km.

Have you actually been in a region with working public transport?

And as previously indicated 0.3G is a lot more than people are comfortable with in current trains.

You mentioned turns affecting the G's, but it would be negligible.
    Depends on how tight the curves are. An interesting question is how people will react to accelerations when they don't see a reference point.

So, big picture - these are the parts in the commuter experience:
    (1) home to suburb station: no change.
    (2) suburb station to metropolis hub: no change.
    But possibly: metropolis hub to other metropolis hub: reduction by using high-speed trains (but unlikely to be Hyperloop).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

There are more fanciful ideas to avoid stops for normal trains (perhaps even more technically challenged); including concepts with folding trains that never stop.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    And most commuter trains stop more than once every 5 minutes. Since the train both need to start and stop the time due to that will be double - or in other words they will not make commuter train stops - but rely on normal commuter trains for getting people to the hubs.

Additionally a train going 700mph does in 2 minutes go 23 miles; so stations will naturally be more than 23 miles apart (and likely several times that) as the idea is to run the train at high speed most of the distance and not spend the time at stations.
    Most Shinkansen lines have about one stop per 30km.

Have you actually been in a region with working public transport?

And as previously indicated 0.3G is a lot more than people are comfortable with in current trains.
    Ah, I see - we aren't connecting on the number of stops going from suburbs to metropolis - those would be dramatically decreased. So a Hyperloop connecting San Diego to San Francisco would only have five stops total, including the start and end (San Diego, Los Angeles, Fresno/Bakersfield locale, San Jose, San Francisco).

Hyperloop won't be like regular commuting trains - it just can't, for the very reasons you pointed out above.

Depends on how tight the curves are. An interesting question is how people will react to accelerations when they don't see a reference point.
    Same way they do now in planes. You're going to say, "but the ground/sky is a reference", and the answer to that is most people don't see those references in planes, either because the sky doesn't offer much of one even if you can see it, or people can't see out the windows.

But possibly: metropolis hub to other metropolis hub: reduction by using high-speed trains (but unlikely to be Hyperloop).
    (2) suburb station to metropolis hub: dramatic decrease in commute time.

There are more fanciful ideas to avoid stops for normal trains (perhaps even more technically challenged); including concepts with folding trains that never stop.
    Folding trains - do tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind was high speed rolling walkways...

Ah, I see - we aren't connecting on the number of stops going from suburbs to metropolis - those would be dramatically decreased. So a Hyperloop connecting San Diego to San Francisco would only have five stops total, including the start and end (San Diego, Los Angeles, Fresno/Bakersfield locale, San Jose, San Francisco).
    Exactly, and therefore:

Same way they do now in planes. You're going to say, "but the ground/sky is a reference", and the answer to that is most people don't see those references in planes, either because the sky doesn't offer much of one even if you can see it, or people can't see out the windows.
    And people wear seat-belts during take-off and landing planes, but normally don't wear those in trains.
    There's usually only one each of take-off and landing during each plane journey, so it's not too bad.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, and therefore:

No - again, the times from Suburb stations (in my example those would be the three stations between San Diego and San Francisco) would be dramatically changed. The whole point of the Hyperloop is to allow people in the far suburbs get to metropolis' in dramatically reduced time. Hence #2 is not what you're saying.

I think we're diverting a bit because you're suggesting there will be multiple stops (i.e. 10+ between metropolis') and there won't be. Five Hyperloop stations from San Diego to San Francisco, just where I indicated. I also believe I may have misspoke earlier suggesting there would be more - my bad there.

And people wear seat-belts during take-off and landing planes, but normally don't wear those in trains.
    There's usually only one each of take-off and landing during each plane journey, so it's not too bad.
    And people will probably wear seat belts in the Hyperloop pods - you can see in the demo the passengers are doing so already. And a few more won't change that experience.

I was curious about what you meant regarding folding trains.