Holy paladins and light of dawn

Ive been looking over mythic logs for CN and this is the spell that does the most healing no matter the fight it seems like. Is WoG just that bad? Hpallys is seemed to be considered the tank healer in previous expanions but they are repeatedly using light of dawn aka the aoe healing spell. Is LoD that over tuned or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Ive been looking over mythic logs for CN and this is the spell that does the most healing no matter the fight it seems like. Is WoG just that bad? Hpallys is seemed to be considered the tank healer in previous expanions but they are repeatedly using light of dawn aka the aoe healing spell. Is LoD that over tuned or am I missing something?
    It's neither overtuned nor is WoG bad. It's an AoE spell, if it didn't heal more than WoG when used at full power it'd be completely worthless.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm by no means an expert at Holy Pally but with my shockadin build I'm casting LoD as a filler whenever my holy power is full and damage is going out. It definitely adds up over a fight when healing up melee players

Quote Originally Posted by Centerblock View Post
    I'm by no means an expert at Holy Pally but with my shockadin build I'm casting LoD as a filler whenever my holy power is full and damage is going out. It definitely adds up over a fight when healing up melee players
    I dont even think its filler honest. Look at this log

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=10

he doesnt cast holy light and he casts flash 4 times. its like the holy shock crit proc doesnt even exist. seems like there is never a reason to press wog and as the "tank healer" that seems weird. maybe times have changed

- - - Updated - - -

but then look at these 2 logs

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=15
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=32

one guy uses holy light 107 times and the other 4. How are people getting away without using HL or FoL? seems so strange to me
    Last edited by LedZeppelin; 2021-03-02 at 05:38 PM.

one guy uses holy light 107 times and the other 4. How are people getting away without using HL or FoL? seems so strange to me
    Out of those 2 it's kinda obvious why one casts HL, the other not. Look at damage done - the one with just 4 HL used CS 99 times, each time you use it you generate 1 Holypower - the same as casting a HL on your beacon target. I did not look their talents up, but the CS paladin will most likely use the melee-healer build (you do not many hardcasts with this build).
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2021-03-02 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    Out of those 2 it's kinda obvious why one casts HL, the other not. Look at damage done - the one with just 4 HL used CS 99 times, each time you use it you generate 1 Holypower - the same as casting a HL on your beacon target. I did not look their talents up, but the CS paladin will most likely use the melee-healer build.
    And I get that but I guess my question is why would anyone use the HL build when they can match the HPS but do a lot more damage.
    I guess it comes down to raid assignments or comps but clearly these people are downing the bosses
    Last edited by LedZeppelin; 2021-03-02 at 07:06 PM.

And I get that but I guess my question is why would anyone use the HL build when they can match the HPS but do a lot more damage.
    I guess it comes down to raid assignments or comps but clearly these people are downing the bosses
    It's the "I'm healer, I will not deal dps" mentality with many people. Those people are still living in vanilla/bc where you simply could not spam damage whenever there was nothing to heal. There are actually many healers that have this mentality, sadly - crying or ranting whenever one tells them that going afk is just not respectful to other people. Most going quite instantly whenever you bring up other stuff, like "should I tank with just spaming blood boil? I got threat, buddy - your job is healing, not mine".

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ling&source=10

he doesnt cast holy light and he casts flash 4 times. its like the holy shock crit proc doesnt even exist. seems like there is never a reason to press wog and as the "tank healer" that seems weird. maybe times have changed

- - - Updated - - -

but then look at these 2 logs

There's a melee heavy build that reduces the cooldown of crusader strike by 1.5. This is used as the primary Holy Power generator. It has a 4.5 second cooldown, so you get between 2-3 casts between each crusader strike. Holy Shock at 7.5 seconds is used on CD either as dmg or healing. You also tend to keep consecration up and judgment on cool down. With all of that, there is a minimal time to cast actual heals, especially given that the hps of FoL/HL are rather poor compared to spenders like WoG/LD. In an AoE situation, LoD > WoG in all cases. The average healing of LoD is over double that of WoG when it can hit max targets. Holy Light is about half the power of a WoG, and FoL is somewhere between HL and WoG (assuming you use infusions right).

This build encourages high Holy Power generation, so when you do get Infusion of Light from a holy shock crit you usually want to spend it on a FoL on the beacon target to provide both healing and more holy power. That might seem inefficient, but you can consider FoL on the beacon to be the healing of FoL + 1/3 the healing of LoD/WoG versus 1.5*FoL which is provided by the beacon. With LoD healing for for around 3x FoL, using FoL on the beacon usually resets in a net gain of 0.5 FoLs per cast in terms of raw healing. That isn't even considering the healing LoD does to the beacon target.

Holy Light is really only used if you need to be mana efficient.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    It's the "I'm healer, I will not deal dps" mentality with many people. Those people are still living in vanilla/bc where you simply could not spam damage whenever there was nothing to heal. There are actually many healers that have this mentality, sadly - crying or ranting whenever one tells them that going afk is just not respectful to other people. Most going quite instantly whenever you bring up other stuff, like "should I tank with just spaming blood boil? I got threat, buddy - your job is healing, not mine".
    Haha I think you nailed it, in their other logs they're playing the standard build but refusing to use cs or judge.

Light of dawn is your go-to HP spender, There are very few scenarios where you're not stacked with a handful of others to make it worthwhile. However, WoG is a massive single target heal, especially if it crits. For one, the WoG shield conduit is good for padding numbers. Second, WoG is great contingent upon your healer setup. If your group is sporting AOE raid healing gloriousness, then your WoG is invaluable to 1)tanks and 2) anyone about to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the Light of Dawn legendary worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Is the Light of Dawn legendary worth it?
    No because shock barrier is just that good. Especially if you're running Kyrian its that much more powerful.