Page 1 of 2
LastLast

SpaceX's SN10 Completes a Successful Test Flight

SN10 has taken off and successfully landed.

https://twitter.com/DJSnM/status/1367253834653868034

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! It just exploded!

https://twitter.com/DJSnM/status/1367256222861197314
    Last edited by Pann; 2021-03-03 at 11:32 PM.

That was a FANTASTIC boom.

10+ Year Old Account
    What an explosive result.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post

Nice, it looked futuristic so I thought it was fake for a second.
    Oh! It just exploded!
    Damn, I wonder why. It was leaning but the Tweet I saw didn't say if it fell over. Maybe the hard landing caused it to slowly leak some leftover fuel and it took a while to find a heat source.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-03 at 11:52 PM.

That was exciting to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Damn, I wonder why. It was leaning but they didn't actually say if it fell over. Maybe the hard landing caused it to leak some leftover fuel and it took a while to find a heat source.
    Looking at the NASASpaceflight stream, it absolutely crushed those landing legs. The rocket was resting on it's own frame. The bottom fuel tank clearly did not seem to agree with that landing.

I cheered in front of computer. I think right now it is quite clear it absolutely can be done and will be done. Probably soft clear landing 2 attempts from now.

Landing legs need a redesign, but the concept clearly works. It's gonna be fun to see one of these on the Moon in 3-5 years.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Oh! It just exploded!

https://twitter.com/DJSnM/status/1367256222861197314
    Holy shit that was amazing!

Landed...delay...BOOM! I saw some flames coming out of the lower end on one side, I wonder if that's what did it in at the end, after sticking the landing.

10+ Year Old Account

Damn, I wonder why. It was leaning but the Tweet I saw didn't say if it fell over. Maybe the hard landing caused it to leak some leftover fuel and it took a while to find a heat source.
    At this point its designed to land that hard. The other two also leaned. Early speculation is that there was an internal leak that ignited some methane.

Yeah, it looked like CGI at times. Although it is cutting edge technology for some reason it reminds me of really old black and white sci-fi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Landing legs need a redesign, but the concept clearly works. It's gonna be fun to see one of these on the Moon in 3-5 years.
    Yup. I think it is amazing to watch every attempt get that little bit better. I can't wait for more ambitious flights!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. I think it is amazing to watch every attempt get that little bit better. I can't wait for more ambitious flights!
    What sets it apart from the Falcon is that it doesn't have legs (or won't) . Legs are expensive, heavy, and need to be replaced. One of their plans is to catch it...yup they want to catch a rocket. Will be neat to see if it's only a concept that never sees practical use.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Damn, I wonder why. It was leaning but the Tweet I saw didn't say if it fell over. Maybe the hard landing caused it to slowly leak some leftover fuel and it took a while to find a heat source.
    That initial video did look fake for a second to me as well. So cool they stuck the landing (sucks it blew up though).

- - - Updated - - -

It sure didn't blow immediately though - several seconds before [what they are calling a methane leak] it went splewy.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    What sets it apart from the Falcon is that it doesn't have legs (or won't) . Legs are expensive, heavy, and need to be replaced. One of their plans is to catch it...yup they want to catch a rocket. Will be neat to see if it's only a concept that never sees practical use.
    It's the 70m tall super heavy booster they want to catch. Absolutely nuts.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's the 70m tall super heavy booster they want to catch. Absolutely nuts.
    FORE!

Seriously though - that would be interesting. Didn't they catch some Falcon's in their oceanic barge net? Or some fairings maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    FORE!

Seriously though - that would be interesting. Didn't they catch some Falcon's in their oceanic barge net? Or some fairings maybe.
    They want to install arms on the launch mount, and have the booster come back to that and then rest on the arms with its grid fin mounts.

...Yeah. I'm gonna watch those tests.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    They want to install arms on the launch mount, and have the booster come back to that and then rest on the arms with its grid fin mounts.

...Yeah. I'm gonna watch those tests.
    I'll bring the popcorn.

I mean, given that SpaceX has a never ending streak of successes, they will probably pull it off. Still, I will be there with bells on.

It is quite funny reading various media sources about the landing. I mean some have blatant issues objectively reporting it (looking at "news" like RT), others cannot get past the word "explosion" or "failure" and only part have normal articles noting that this is overall sucess in terms of actually landing the damn thing (thus progress), but that it was not perfect (the boom).
    Same shit was on the previous two launches.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    It is quite funny reading various media sources about the landing. I mean some have blatant issues objectively reporting it (looking at "news" like RT), others cannot get past the word "explosion" or "failure" and only part have normal articles noting that this is overall sucess in terms of actually landing the damn thing (thus progress), but that it was not perfect (the boom).
    There are a few outlets that have had the knives out for SpaceX for years. Anything that isn't 13/10 is jumped on immediately.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    I'm seeing those articles as well. It's interesting seeing "scientific" "journalists" reporting on science and space, and not know anything about it. Like you pointed out, sticking the landing is HUGE - major milestone. The explosion is another issue entirely - leaked methane IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a few outlets that have had the knives out for SpaceX for years. Anything that isn't 13/10 is jumped on immediately.
    Indeed - success breeds it's own haters.
    (i don't understand the "13/10" reference)

Indeed - success breeds it's own haters.
    (i don't understand the "13/10" reference)
    I think they mean that unless it's perfect ++ they have a fit