15+ Year Old Account

Computer crashing after trying to run mass effect mods

I'm pretty certain my computer may be dead at this point but I figured I'd ask anyway.

It's a pretty old computer at this point, but it usually does what I need it to do so if I can get it working again I'd prefer it. It's an old i5 chip and a gtx 770.

I recently decided to replay Mass Effect 1, something my computer should handle fine.
    I decided to look into mods to see if the elevators etc could be sped up.

I ended up down a bit of a rabbit hole and installed ALOT, a graphics improvement mod.

Game opened up fine and ran partway into character creation then crashed. Colours went a bit funny before a full computer crash. When the computer came back on I was seeing green pixels all over the screen and my gpu had an error 43. Managed to sort that myself however now when I start up my computer its running pretty slow.

The cpu led on my case is permanently on but task manager suggests otherwise. I can run some programs but say, opening an Internet browser seems to freak the gpu out. The screen goes black then comes back but is unresponsive. This seems to happen two or three times before a full computer crash.

So yeah, I've possibly cooked it but was hoping for a second opinion. Sorry about formatting, posting from my phone.

7+ Year Old Account
    Try to reinstal ur GPU. Clear device in ur system 1st. Ur mainboard have integrated gpu? If yes try to switch it to mainboard gpu. Clear system old drivers put ur gtx back again. Install all drivers and check. The possibility that ur gpu is overcooked is quite high u should check capacitors on it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, figuring it was cooked I took it apart and cleaned it out.

The computer itself still seems a bit sluggish but I was able to open my browser and come to MMO-Champ to post this without it freaking out so, progress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like the memory or something involving the memory of your GPU was grilled. I doubt that a driver update will fix that.

If you want to I can send you a MSI 970 GTX that's still in my old backup computer that has a faulty mainboard (that'll get an even older 560 I still own if the worst case happens and my current working machine breaks).
    The card should still work fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Left it on whilst I did some stuff but the wife says it seems to have restarted itself again.

Will try loading up a game that I know it can play and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post
    Left it on whilst I did some stuff but the wife says it seems to have restarted itself again.

Doesnt matter what you try, a fried GPU doesnt magically recover, instead of dying 100%, yours has died 80% and requires some extra "force" to crash completely, so it can load to windows, but it cant actually work as intended, it will eventually die completely as it deteriorates the more you force it.

I'd say most likely one of your VRAM chips is fried. Or the GPU. Anyway it's gonna cost way more than buying a new comparable GPU (even right now) to figure it out and fix it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post

I fixed my GPU after it died by stripping out all plastic parts and putting it in oven for 8 minutes / 200 degree celsius. Give it a try - if it is dead, you have nothing to lose.

My GeForce 760 died during m+ run in Court of Stars. Game freezed, I restarted, then I had green artifacts and I had to remove it to start computer again (graphic was running from i5 CPU). After oven trick is card running just fine on daughter's PC (she plays CS, Fortnite etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sellest View Post
    I fixed my GPU after it died by stripping out all plastic parts and putting it in oven for 8 minutes / 200 degree celsius. Give it a try - if it is dead, you have nothing to lose.
    You didnt fix it, you prolonged the agony.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    My last GPU had a seized fan so check that. Fixed it (or rather prolonged it, thank you @Thunderball) by injecting lubricant into the bearings through a straw. Computer had other issues going on so eventually decided to upgrade the whole thing.

Alot

You just killed your PC with that, i have a 970 and im having fps issues

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I figured I was clasping at straws when I got the computer running again. I had eventually gotten rid of the artifacting so was wondering if it was something else.

Anyway long story short , I tried booting Diablo 3 up. Game was up for a minute or two then we got something new, a Blue Screen. After that I had to do a system restore to get back in.

No longer green pixel artifacting but I can see some actifacting all the same. Kind of like, little pale stripes. My own fault for not double checking how intensive the mods were I guess.

New computer time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You didnt fix it, you prolonged the agony.
    ok, I prolonged agony by 2 years and still counting (I just checked when I bought my current card and it was 8.3. 2019). These days are challenging to buy new HW so if it might help OP. I don't know why are you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Sellest View Post
    2 years and still counting
    I have never heard of a GPU reflow lasting that long. On average it's 6 months max, more often than not most die again within 2 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I have never heard of a GPU reflow lasting that long. On average it's 6 months max, more often than not most die again within 2 months.
    Depends on what was broken in the first place. If it was just short circuits because of a broken solder point the oven is a valid method to repair them. It doesn't work if a chip is borked.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Alot

You just killed your PC with that, i have a 970 and im having fps issues
    Your 970 probably could use a new application of thermal paste
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Depends on what was broken in the first place. If it was just short circuits because of a broken solder point the oven is a valid method to repair them. It doesn't work if a chip is borked.
    Faulty soldering fixing is not a GPU reflow. Also, if you have a short circuits anywhere around a GPU it's DEAD-dead.