Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Advice for (affordable) office/gaming computer chair

Howdy!

So, I currently have an Arozzi gaming computer chair for a few years now, and while it's (probably) better than your bog standard IKEA chair (although I have my doubts), I just don't feel I can sit in it for long periods of time without having to constantly adjust myself or start getting a square butt. I feel I kinda fell for the "omg gaming chair" marketing hype. So I'm considering replacing it.

Now, while I can't afford a Herman Miller, I'd like to get a neutral chair and not something gaming branded. I'd say my maximum budget is 300€, although I could possibly stretch that a tiny bit if need be.

I found this doing a simple google search, but have never heard of the brand, hence why I decided to make this thread:

https://www.autonomous.ai/office-cha...ption1573=1945

So, all advice is welcome!

Edit: Realised I should probably add height and weight information... I'm 6'4" (1m92) tall and 98kg. While everything I've seen can hold ~110kg or more, I thought I'd mention it anyway.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2021-03-06 at 09:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ikea Markus is what I always recommend, the fabric version. Good price, relatively comfortable and stylish that can fit into most environments.
    -K

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Ikea Markus is what I always recommend, the fabric version. Good price, relatively comfortable and stylish that can fit into most environments.
    Thanks for the recommendation! It does look quite nice and as you say, stylish but neutral at the same time to fit into most environments.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of Komene? Browsing Amazon I came across this:

https://komene.com/collections/offic...e-office-chair

It seems to have good reviews on the German Amazon site (where I'd order it from).

Dont be sure you cant get a Herman Miller.

Check Facebook Market or similar for a used one. I see used Aeron's go for ~300-350$ US around me.

However, if you want "new", at your price range the Ikea Markus is about the b est bet. Its not the best chair in the whole world but for the price, it is hard to beat.

I have one, and im a fat fat man these days, and it supports me just fine. Only complaint i have isnt really with the chair - im fat, so i blew up the cushion pretty fast. But that was solved by simply getting a new cushion to sit on (i went with the Purple options, like the beds, because they breathe well).

Like i said, there are better chairs out there, but you tend to have to spend a LOT more than the Markus costs to get there.

I have heard good things about the Autonomous Ergo Chair (on V2 these days), but i have no personal experience with one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post

Check Facebook Market or similar for a used one. I see used Aeron's go for ~300-350$ US around me.
    Great chairs, even pre-assed.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Autonomous Ergo Chair 2

look at office chairs too

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    Great chairs, even pre-assed.
    I'm a big guy too - I bought this and love it.
    I haven't posted much so not allowed to link but search for this on amazon:
    High Back Big & Tall 400lb Office Chair - Heavy Duty Metal Base, Adjustable Tilt Angle, Thick Padding and Ergonomic Design Bonded Leather Executive Desk Computer Task Swivel Chair
    Sold by: COMOCH INC

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the recommendations all!
    @Kagthul My only concern about the IKEA Markus is that it doesn't have the lumbar support that, say the Autonomous Ergo Chair 2 has, but this is only looking at it from pictures. It's €159 here while the Ergo Chair 2 is already €379 without VAT included... If the IKEA Markus can offer near the same support for my back, that's a lot of money saved.

As for the Komene one I found on Amazon, I'm guessing it's not a known brand and I probably shouldn't go down that route?

Edit: Yeah just checked and the ErgoChair 2 is €458.59 with VAT included, bit out of my price range unfortunately.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2021-03-08 at 05:01 AM.

The Markus' claim to fame would be that the mesh conforms to you. Its not as supportive, but it doesn't force you into weird positions like a stiff backed chair.

I have a serious lower back injury (herniated a disc, which had to be removed, which severely impacts what physical activity i can get up to and is one (of several reasons, i also really like food and eat to relieve stress) reason i got fat) and i can sit in it without it leaving me feeling crippled after i get up because im not being forced to sit a particular way because of a solid back.

Like i said, its not the bestest chair ever or anything, but its hard to find anything else in that price category that is as good and almost impossible to find better. Chairs with excellent lumbar support (as you're discovering) are not cheap and escalate quickly to "really damn expensive". Ive been seriously considering spending my next stimulus check on a Herman Miller or Steelcase.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Markus' claim to fame would be that the mesh conforms to you. Its not as supportive, but it doesn't force you into weird positions like a stiff backed chair.

I have a serious lower back injury (herniated a disc, which had to be removed, which severely impacts what physical activity i can get up to and is one (of several reasons, i also really like food and eat to relieve stress) reason i got fat) and i can sit in it without it leaving me feeling crippled after i get up because im not being forced to sit a particular way because of a solid back.

Like i said, its not the bestest chair ever or anything, but its hard to find anything else in that price category that is as good and almost impossible to find better. Chairs with excellent lumbar support (as you're discovering) are not cheap and escalate quickly to "really damn expensive". Ive been seriously considering spending my next stimulus check on a Herman Miller or Steelcase.
    Okay, thank you for your advice and posting your experience! I think I'll go with the Markus, as I live about 20 minutes from an IKEA, so wouldn't need to get it delivered either.

well, they'll have them assembled, so you can sit in it and try it out.

Herman Miller Embody

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaShift View Post
    Herman Miller Embody
    Way to not read the OP at all.

Thats about 1000 Euro out of his budget.

15+ Year Old Account
    well, they'll have them assembled, so you can sit in it and try it out.
    Also true, although I tend to avoid the showroom part if possible, it's like a neverending maze!

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    Autonomous Ergo Chair 2
    This. I have 3 of these in my studio/office

10+ Year Old Account
    Those chairs give me OCD issues with all the adjustments. Bog standard office chair does me fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lot of offices and maybe now might be selling it off due to work from home is becoming a lot bigger thing so yeah worth looking at this. Just gotta proper clean it away from the farts haah

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Those chairs give me OCD issues with all the adjustments. Bog standard office chair does me fine.
    That the thing. Great to lay back and watch a movie but damn bulky, heavy and aesthetically awful (personal preference I know).
    -K

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Lot of offices and maybe now might be selling it off due to work from home is becoming a lot bigger thing so yeah worth looking at this. Just gotta proper clean it away from the farts haah
    It's funny you say that, because when looking on the marketplace on Facebook, my first thought was "someone has farted in this chair multiple times" (And I also didn't find anything in my price range, even used...)

I'll most likely take a trip to IKEA next week and get the Markus. Not only the cheapest one I've been advised, but also has 10 years warranty which is not bad for a €159 chair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    It's funny you say that, because when looking on the marketplace on Facebook, my first thought was "someone has farted in this chair multiple times" (And I also didn't find anything in my price range, even used...)

I'll most likely take a trip to IKEA next week and get the Markus. Not only the cheapest one I've been advised, but also has 10 years warranty which is not bad for a €159 chair.
    Ngl im just talking from experience. I've let it rip a few times on our office chairs haha Sounds good, I can't recommend them enough unless you stretch for the big boy $$$ Hermans
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post

WAIT!!

I mean, if you didn't buy the Markus already, IKEA has a new (more pricey) version that has lumbar support and in general it's an improved version of the Markus.

Here's a link (in italian) but i cannot spell the name lol https://www.ikea.com/it/it/p/jaervfj...ero-s99275632/

I tried it in the store, i always wanted a Markus but i'm gonna buy one of these as soon as i renovate the new room that's becoming my pc home.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.