Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Adding Dye System into Transmog?

I know people will say it is copy of FFXIV. but why not? it will not be the first or the last time Blizzard takes idea from different game and add their own version?

Basically it works like this, first you do a simple story questline to unlock the dye system which will be part of the transmog system.

Then Blizzard should add a lot of colors and dye into the game from different contents of the game like from dungeons, raids, reputation, npcs, rares, and even old contents. Just like how they add a lot of pets in the old contents of the game and new.

Maybe not everyone care about such thing but I am pretty god damn sure a lot of players still want that red cm paladin set from datamining!

Such a simple system will make players playing the game more and more!

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't even know Final Fantasy did this. I only know of the concept from Diablo 3.

I'd be all for that, but I can imagine Blizzard going "Hell nooooo" as it would eliminate a large source of time invested into the game by players, thus cutting down on players ultimately playing their game. All about the MAU's or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly ALOT of mmos do dying of gear..

In fact FFXIVs is kinda pathetic

Rift eso and gw2 for instance all have multiple dye slots on every piece(ranging from 2 to 4 per piece) and you can mix and match as you want(tbh rift has the BEST glamour/trabsmog/wardrobe syatem given everything can be used on all classes and ANY 1h weapon can swap to any othef or 2h and all gears dyable..that even beats gw2 given you are still restricted by say light or heavy armor)

But yeah dye systens are fucking amazing

Since the current system that is in place and has been so for a very long time uses the same models with different colors to differentiate difficulties, adding dyes would mean more work from the art team to create a different models per difficulty.

So if they put dye in the hands of the players, they are adding more work on themselves, altough they can cut corners by creating the final armor for mythic then remove elements as difficulty decreases.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    They can cut corners by creating the final armor for mythic then remove elements as difficulty decreases.
    That's exactly how they work iirc. I think they start by the HC set, and then add a few bells and whistles for the Mythic version. As for the LFR and Normal versions, they just recolour the HC version (always iirc).
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    That's exactly how they work iirc. I think they start by the HC set, and then add a few bells and whistles for the Mythic version. As for the LFR and Normal versions, they just recolour the HC version (always iirc).
    Yes lfr, normal and heroic have the same model but different colors .. so with dye they need to make all those 3 also to be different.

I would accept if they didnt want to or couldnt add such a feature to old gear, but this is something they should be preparing to add to future items.

The problem with a dye system in WoW is that we do in a sense have a dye system, it is just tied to individual pieces as rewards. Adding dyes would require changing how the system works.

Either we would have to give only a single set with dyes as rewards in which case we have not really change anything, and if we just get dyes standard then the reward system has to change somehow, otherwise things like differentiating LFR from HC by sets isnt really possible.

And of course there is the point brought forth by the developers themselves. Agood dye system requires gear to be made with it in mind. Simply changing colors on gear doessnt really work when it looks like hwat it does on game right now, so essentially we would have a system that only works for gear going forwards, with the old gear working on a different system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Honestly it feels like they go backwards. They start by designign a good Mythic set, then take pieces off to make the regular versions.

At least that is what it felt like in BfA with some of the later sets, SL has been much better in this regard.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Probably not feasibile with the way they build their armors. At best they could just put cheap full tint (as in shift the colors of all parts, which looks awful, like painting yourself in a color) options in, because for more detailed options they'd need to classify the individual parts of the armor with different zones to make it work.

Not to mention it would kinda go against their lazy ass approach of recoloring sets for different difficulties. It's not happening any time soon.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Considering that blizzard relies on colors to depict different types of content I can't really see them doing it. The few recolors they have they are often to lazy to redo glow or fire effects as well (its most visible of the firehawk mounts.)

Its a neat idea but blizzard doesn't add enough models to the game to be able to pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I know people will say it is copy of FFXIV...
    You mean a copy of EverQuest. WoW will catch up with EverQuest someday.

MMOs have been doing armor dye since EverQuest. WoW might be the only MMO left that doesn't.

Blizz has tried this in the past, it didn't work. Not because people didn't want or like it but because WoW just wasn't built for it. They basically have to redo ALL armour in the game as it wasn't made to have dyes and its just to expensive in terms of man hours needed to do it.
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

Considering Blizz makes each Difficulty tier have its own colour variations I really doubt Blizz would do this.

I'd love to see Guild Wars dye system but as mentioned above tier variations are based on different colors so there is close to zero chance that we will get it. Speaking of which making different color of armor is like 5 minute work in Blender what shows how lazy Blizzard is...

10+ Year Old Account
    If I recall, there was an issue with equipment if dyes were to be added. It was announced at a BlizzCon that if dyes were to be added, they would need to restructure the equipment system from Vanilla to Cataclysm, having to update those pieces of gear so that a dye system could be supported. It was something like, thousands of items.

I would love a dye system like in Guild Wars 2, or even just a simple one like in Diablo 3.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If I recall, there was an issue with equipment if dyes were to be added. It was announced at a BlizzCon that if dyes were to be added, they would need to restructure the equipment system from Vanilla to Cataclysm, having to update those pieces of gear so that a dye system could be supported. It was something like, thousands of items.

I would love a dye system like in Guild Wars 2, or even just a simple one like in Diablo 3.
    True, I was referring to single item. I'm not a programmer (I only know some python basics) but I believe that each color variant would be a different item in the database. So yeah, I don't even wanna count how many of items it is

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post

I wonder if they could do introduce a dye system with say 10.0, and then for all current and future items it would work. All older gear would just lock/gray out the dye system. Or is it like a fundamental issue with how they implement gear into the game where it needs a texture or something? Idk but it's an awesome system.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I know people will say it is copy of FFXIV. but why not? it will not be the first or the last time Blizzard takes idea from different game and add their own version?

Basically it works like this, first you do a simple story questline to unlock the dye system which will be part of the transmog system.

Then Blizzard should add a lot of colors and dye into the game from different contents of the game like from dungeons, raids, reputation, npcs, rares, and even old contents. Just like how they add a lot of pets in the old contents of the game and new.

Maybe not everyone care about such thing but I am pretty god damn sure a lot of players still want that red cm paladin set from datamining!

Such a simple system will make players playing the game more and more!
    I don't think this is remotely feasible for WoW. For the first time (that I can recall so I may be wrong that this is the first time) the devs introduced color scheme rewards for our cosmetics through our covenants. As a venthyr, I can get 3 or 4 different color variations of my covenant plate. Looks like this type of color option finding is the future and not a dye system.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Probably not feasibile with the way they build their armors. At best they could just put cheap full tint (as in shift the colors of all parts, which looks awful, like painting yourself in a color) options in, because for more detailed options they'd need to classify the individual parts of the armor with different zones to make it work.
    Not to mention it would kinda go against their lazy ass approach of recoloring sets for different difficulties. It's not happening any time soon.
    It is not that hard. You just define specific region of palete as dyeable and then change H of it on HSL scale. Yes, it requires work to retag old pieces but they could either introduce it for new ones and then slowly convert old ones over time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    True, I was referring to single item. I'm not a programmer (I only know some python basics) but I believe that each color variant would be a different item in the database. So yeah, I don't even wanna count how many of items it is
    No it won't. It will be just another field in item properties. /dump any item in quotes from chat and see how links looks like - there are fields after base item ID that cover this particular item properties, like effective level for scaled items, gems, enchants. They all share one single base ID and all the differences are stored separately. You just need to add dye it to that.
    Garrison Mission Manager: Select best followers for BfA, Legion and WoD missions.
    Instance Spec: Switch to spec suitable for your role when "dungeon ready" pops up.
    LDB: WoW Token: Monitor WoW Token price changes in LDB display.
    Other addons: Quest Map with Details * LFG Filter for Premade Groups * Obvious Mail Expiration.