10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up 'Hellsing' Live-Action Film in the works from 'John Wick' Writer

SOURCE: https://deadline.com/2021/03/john-wick-derek-kolstad-amazon-studios-japanese-manga-hellsing-1234706766/

Derek Kolstad, the screenwriter behind the John Wick series, is collaborating with Amazon Studios to develop a live-action feature film based on the iconic Japanese action-horror manga Hellsing.

“Ever since my brother introduced me to the Hellsing manga and anime some years ago, I’ve been obsessed with adapting it,” Kolstad said. “And when Mike Callaghan and his team managed to secure the rights to then partner us up with Brian Kavanaugh-Jones and Amazon, I mean -damn, dude- this is a dream.”

Written and illustrated by Kouta Hirano and published by Shōnen Gahōsha, Hellsing reimagines Dracula as Alucard, a special agent bound to The Hellsing Organization, under the leadership of Integra Hellsing, great-granddaughter of Abraham Van Hellsing, to aid them in their mission to protect England and the world from vampires, ghouls, and other supernatural threats. The manga also focuses on Hellsing’s newest recruit, a female ex-police officer named Seras Victoria.

So, I've never read the 'Hellsing' manga but I have watched the 2 anime adaptions and I loved how brutal they were.

Also, the TeamFourStar "Hellsing Abridged" is still the funniest shit I've ever watched... next to DBZ Abridged, of course.

'John Wick' seems to be fairly popular (haven't seen them) and are good turn-your-brain-off-and-enjoy action films. The 'Hellsing' series deals with vampires, zombies, the supernatural... and Nazis! So I don't expect amazing writing, but I do think it will be a fun film to go out of your way to watch. I'm hyped.

5+ Year Old Account
    Awww... I was hoping this was Van Helsing..

The writing was like...the least important part of the John Wick movies. So I'm not sure that's something to get all that hyped about.

But I've never read or watched anything to do with Hellsing, so I have no idea how appropriate a choice like this is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, I think what worked for John Wick was that it was often incredible, but fundamentally grounded.

Hellsing is, more often than not, completely unhinged.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

This can only go wrong.

Hellsing is pretty over the top. Even the anime barely kept up. A live action film? Yikes. Not hopeful, but as always I'm never unwilling to be positively surprised. Hasn't happened yet with an anime/manga adaptation, but here's hoping...

Amazon Studio
    Ah. So the same studio that botched the LotR TV series right from the get go.

No thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Hasn't happened yet with an anime/manga adaptation, but here's hoping...
    The only live action adaptations of an anime/manga that weren't bad were the Japanese Death Note films, and the two Rurouni Kenshin movies. I heard that the Bleach movie was good but I haven't seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Ah. So the same studio that botched the LotR TV series right from the get go.

No thanks.
    Botched...when there's not even been a trailer for it yet? And literally all they have to do is say "From the studio that brought you The Boys" to get people interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Botched...when there's not even been a trailer for it yet? And literally all they have to do is say "From the studio that brought you The Boys" to get people interested.
    if the rumours and leaks have ANY basis then they already screwed the pooch before it's had a chance to see the light of day.