What should I play?

I have given up WoW for good this week. I need a new game to play. I do prefer multiplayer games, but I can't play something where there are 20 different currencies, and to play casual you have to play a minimum amount of time a week. I play League of Legends off and on, and I've tried Destiny 2 but it is so old I feel like there is no way to catch up. I have Borderlands 3, which I liked, but I'm not sure how active the online component is. I like loot-based games. I've seen Valheim, but it seems kind of small right now so I plan to get it later when it is finished. I also like Diablo 3, but I never felt like it required me to play every single day.

Any suggestions?

Same situation.

And no, there is nothing playable right now. All the good games are in early access on Steam.
    The closest interesting thing is New World at the end of August.

I hear Hello Kitty: Island Adventure is a good game.

We have a thread for asking for game recommendations.

OP: It sounds like you prefer gameplay/systems heavy action RPGs. Unfortunately, I can't think of any that don't have excessive time sinks add/or convoluted systems and/or a billion different currencies. If you had asked me about 5 or 6 years ago, I would have recommended Warframe, but I certainly wouldn't today.

You apparently liked something about WoW enough to stick out for this long. In which case, you might like FFXIV, which is pretty much a continuation of WoW from the MoP era design (focus on story content, there are easy reputations with storylines that go with them. No grinding for artifact power or titanforged gear or azerite traits or whatever).

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgarrin View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Dark Souls 3

Warframe can be casual unless you want to max every weapon and warframe.

Star Trek Online is old but its really easy to hit max level. Theres also an event going on atm where you get a weapon and if you do all 4 events can get 2 free cashshop ships, 1 promo ship, or 1500 lobi which is the loot box currency.

Guild Wars 2 has a daily login reward otherwise it doesn't really require you to do anything. The Login reward doesn't even reset monthly like some games so you don't have to worry about missing something good.

Dauntless is f2p.

DCUO is old but like for anniversaries and stuff give away char item lvl boost. New content always scales you up until the next content update so you can play at your own pace if you want.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-03-07 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Warframe can be casual unless you want to max every weapon and warframe.

Star Trek Online is old but its really easy to hit max level. Theres also an event going on atm where you get a weapon and if you do all 4 events can get 2 free cashshop ships, 1 promo ship, or 1500 lobi which is the loot box currency.

Guild Wars 2 has a daily login reward otherwise it doesn't really require you to do anything. The Login reward doesn't even reset monthly like some games so you don't have to worry about missing something good.

Dauntless is f2p.

DCUO is old but like for anniversaries and stuff give away char item lvl boost. New content always scales you up until the next content update so you can play at your own pace if you want.
    With the exception of Warframe, you just used a whole bunch of different words for Trash.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    With the exception of Warframe, you just used a whole bunch of different words for Trash.
    I wouldn't call STO or GW2 trash, but I would be very hesitant to recommend them.

Guild Wars 2 sorta plays like a modern, post-Skyrim open world/sandbox game where there are a bunch of markers on the map 90% of the gameplay is going to each marker and filling out the map. The storylines are overall mediocre so don't play for the story (but the Heart of Thorns expansion has a story that is only about 8 hours long and has some cool setpieces). Also, the game really milks you in the cash shop. Your inventory fills up quick in this game and you don't have nearly enough bank space, so they sell you bank slots. And your gathering tools break quickly, so they sell you unbreakable gathering tools. And so on. Also, the game is ostensibly an MMO, but... well, there is hardly any reason to actually group up and befriend other players in GW2. FFXIV gives you more reason to interact with other players than GW2 does, and FFXIV's selling point is the singleplayer storyline.

Star Trek Online is for ST fans. STO is pretty much the closest you're going to get to a true continuation of Star Trek after DS9 (though it does have tie in promos with nu-Trek like the Abrams films and Discovery, STO thankfully did not jump the shark like them).

The early story arcs of STO are pretty so-so/okay/meh, but once you start getting into the DS9 and Delta Quadrant stuff, it gets pretty good. They even got a lot of the actors from the shows to come back and voice their characters. Also, wish fulfillment stuff in seeing people like Geordi and Nog become Starfleet captains, or cast reunions.

The one major conceit with STO's storytelling is that... well, it was a video game designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and the preeminent game design philosophy for appealing to everyone was (and still is) to create a game where you kill people and blow stuff up. Which means that the bulk of the gameplay is combat, which feels unnatural for a "Star Trek" entry. And that affects the lore, as now suddenly the Alpha Quadrant is a battlefield where everyone is at war with each other. The ground combat is mediocre, but the space combat is quite fun. Also, you can do missions co-op with other people, and there is level scaling, which is nice. That being said, there are quite a lot of non-combat missions in STO.

In STO, you can choose to be either 1. Starfleet, 2. Klingon Empire (the empire consisting of the Klingons, Gorn, Orion, and one other race), 3. the Romulan Flotilla (basically survivors of the Hobus Supernova who did not join the evil Empress Sela), and 4. Dominion (basically Jem'Hadar only). You can choose to play as a canon race, or create your own rubberhead alien (except for Dominion, who are exclusively Jem'Hadar. Can't create your own alien for Dominion). You also captain your own ship and can basically pick from any ship in the franchise (IIRC faction locks were removed, so your character can be in Starfleet and yet still fly Jem'Hadar warships), as well as customize it a little bit visually. You can create your own AI party members (called "bridge officers") who follow you into battle on the ground (and provide abilities for the spaceship segments). There are also A LOT of character customization in STO, with you being able to pick pretty much any uniform from the franchise. There are also a lot of new, STO exclusive ship designs and uniforms and outfits you can pick too, which are pretty cool.

There are two major problems with STO. The first is the clunky engine: the engine is very clunky. As mentioned before, the ground combat is mediocre, partly because of the sluggish physics. Also, the game just doesn't look good graphically, and can even inexplicably seem to lag at higher resolutions (even though, again, the graphics are nothing revolutionary).

The other problem is the cash shop: the really milk you. Some alien races, such as the fan favorite Catians, are locked behind the cash shop (and you can't recreate them via the "create your own rubberhead alien" option). There was also a big pay-2-win controversy a few years back, where with the Delta Quadrant expansion they raised the level cap from 50 to 60, and introduced a sixth tier of ships that where the new ships were far more powerful than the T5s, but you couldn't earn the T6s. You had to buy them from the cash shop. And the new Delta Quadrant expansion was way overturned so that you couldn't really do it with T5 ships, even with the best builds. I can't remember if they fixed that, but the fact that they did in the first place makes me wary that they might try to do mandatory p2w powerlevel creep again.

If you try out STO and really like it, and you stick around to like level 30, then at that point I would recommend sucking it up and just dropping money on a cash shop ship. The cash shop ships level scale, so you can be a level 1 character and buy a tier 5 ship and it will scale down to your level, and scale up with you as your character levels up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rust, you might get sucked in like I did back in 2016
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Valheim! Join the hype!

This game gave me the same feeling as I got when I started WoW in Vanilla, it's just insanely immersive and fun! I haven't logged in to WoW ONCE since I started playing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear there is a pretty popular game out there about crafting mines.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgarrin View Post
    I have given up WoW for good this week. I need a new game to play. I do prefer multiplayer games, but I can't play something where there are 20 different currencies, and to play casual you have to play a minimum amount of time a week. I play League of Legends off and on, and I've tried Destiny 2 but it is so old I feel like there is no way to catch up. I have Borderlands 3, which I liked, but I'm not sure how active the online component is. I like loot-based games. I've seen Valheim, but it seems kind of small right now so I plan to get it later when it is finished. I also like Diablo 3, but I never felt like it required me to play every single day.

Any suggestions?
    Have you tried solitaire or minesweeper? Seems more your speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Have you tried solitaire or minesweeper? Seems more your speed.
    Your terrible sarcasm is duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    They all lasted longer than the show your name and avi are from so they can't be that trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I wouldn't call STO or GW2 trash, but I would be very hesitant to recommend them.

Star Trek Online is for ST fans. STO is pretty much the closest you're going to get to a true continuation of Star Trek after DS9 (though it does have tie in promos with nu-Trek like the Abrams films and Discovery, STO thankfully did not jump the shark like them).

The early story arcs of STO are pretty so-so/okay/meh, but once you start getting into the DS9 and Delta Quadrant stuff, it gets pretty good. They even got a lot of the actors from the shows to come back and voice their characters. Also, wish fulfillment stuff in seeing people like Geordi and Nog become Starfleet captains, or cast reunions.

The one major conceit with STO's storytelling is that... well, it was a video game designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and the preeminent game design philosophy for appealing to everyone was (and still is) to create a game where you kill people and blow stuff up. Which means that the bulk of the gameplay is combat, which feels unnatural for a "Star Trek" entry. And that affects the lore, as now suddenly the Alpha Quadrant is a battlefield where everyone is at war with each other. The ground combat is mediocre, but the space combat is quite fun. Also, you can do missions co-op with other people, and there is level scaling, which is nice. That being said, there are quite a lot of non-combat missions in STO.

In STO, you can choose to be either 1. Starfleet, 2. Klingon Empire (the empire consisting of the Klingons, Gorn, Orion, and one other race), 3. the Romulan Flotilla (basically survivors of the Hobus Supernova who did not join the evil Empress Sela), and 4. Dominion (basically Jem'Hadar only). You can choose to play as a canon race, or create your own rubberhead alien (except for Dominion, who are exclusively Jem'Hadar. Can't create your own alien for Dominion). You also captain your own ship and can basically pick from any ship in the franchise (IIRC faction locks were removed, so your character can be in Starfleet and yet still fly Jem'Hadar warships), as well as customize it a little bit visually. You can create your own AI party members (called "bridge officers") who follow you into battle on the ground (and provide abilities for the spaceship segments). There are also A LOT of character customization in STO, with you being able to pick pretty much any uniform from the franchise. There are also a lot of new, STO exclusive ship designs and uniforms and outfits you can pick too, which are pretty cool.

There are two major problems with STO. The first is the clunky engine: the engine is very clunky. As mentioned before, the ground combat is mediocre, partly because of the sluggish physics. Also, the game just doesn't look good graphically, and can even inexplicably seem to lag at higher resolutions (even though, again, the graphics are nothing revolutionary).

The other problem is the cash shop: the really milk you. Some alien races, such as the fan favorite Catians, are locked behind the cash shop (and you can't recreate them via the "create your own rubberhead alien" option). There was also a big pay-2-win controversy a few years back, where with the Delta Quadrant expansion they raised the level cap from 50 to 60, and introduced a sixth tier of ships that where the new ships were far more powerful than the T5s, but you couldn't earn the T6s. You had to buy them from the cash shop. And the new Delta Quadrant expansion was way overturned so that you couldn't really do it with T5 ships, even with the best builds. I can't remember if they fixed that, but the fact that they did in the first place makes me wary that they might try to do mandatory p2w powerlevel creep again.

If you try out STO and really like it, and you stick around to like level 30, then at that point I would recommend sucking it up and just dropping money on a cash shop ship. The cash shop ships level scale, so you can be a level 1 character and buy a tier 5 ship and it will scale down to your level, and scale up with you as your character levels up.
    Also STO also gives out account wide t6 ships for doing their summer/winter/anniversary events and stuff so as long as you play you don't need to spend any cash unless you "need" a specific starship trait or look. And if you farm dilithium a f2p player can trade the Dilithium for Zen and buy anything they want. They even gave out a Brel with one of the best traits in game for cannon players with the Klingon recruitment event that just went on.

Customer service is probably the worst I have seen in any game even their other game Champions Online has a thousand times better customer service.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-03-07 at 11:44 PM.

As Val pointed out, please use the existing megathread for game requests/suggestions - https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...Suggest-a-Game!