Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Copy & Transfer service + gold cap

    Haven't seen much discussion about this paid service Blizzard will offer, which I think is the only real issue with the TBC economy.

    If a community pools up gold to reach gold cap (max gold + full inventory of valuable shit), sends it all to one dude, that dude uses the copy & transfer service (the stuff he has is worth WAY more than whatever the cost will be), and then sends it all to the next guy who does the same thing.

    Theoretically it's possible for every single player who transfers to TBC to have gold cap this way, even if only one player on classic has reached that point currently.

  2. #2
    From what it sounds like, you won't be even able to login to your character post TBC pre patch day until you make your choice to go to TBC, stay on Classic, or clone, which makes the scenario you laid out impossible to do.

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans Lora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Some random weird place
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Haven't seen much discussion about this paid service Blizzard will offer, which I think is the only real issue with the TBC economy.

    If a community pools up gold to reach gold cap (max gold + full inventory of valuable shit), sends it all to one dude, that dude uses the copy & transfer service (the stuff he has is worth WAY more than whatever the cost will be), and then sends it all to the next guy who does the same thing.

    Theoretically it's possible for every single player who transfers to TBC to have gold cap this way, even if only one player on classic has reached that point currently.
    it wont work like that. everything is basically going to be snapped at a certain point prior to the servers going live. he wouldnt be able to send it to other people because everyones characters will be "saved" after that point so any character that is copied is going to have exactly what that character had at that time and nothing more or less. they addressed this during blizzcon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

  4. #4
    Mechagnome Storfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Nostalrius
    Posts
    743
    You cant do this because you arent the one creating the copy with your mouse-click, it's a server-wide blizzard created snap-shot. All characters get copied at the same time.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    You cant do this because you arent the one creating the copy with your mouse-click, it's a server-wide blizzard created snap-shot. All characters get copied at the same time.
    You know, I'd forgotten about that, I figured you'd have the option to transfer at any time, but a copy & transfer would let you log back in. Guess all is well then and this thread can die.

  6. #6
    Relevant to this thread so just gonna bump it.

    Let's say you have two friends. Bob is gonna only play level 60 classic while John is gonna play level 70 classic. Let's say both have 20k gold. Bob has his character advance to BC and then pays to have a copy to play level 60 classic. Now, he has 20k on both of these characters that exist on different servers at this point. John now does the same and also has characters on both versions of the game with 20k gold each. Now, he trades his 20k gold from his level 60 classic to Bob and Bob trades his 20k from his level 70 classic guy to John.

    Technically, no gold was duplicated or anything but in reality Bob's 20k gold was never going to go into the BC classic server and John's 20k was not going to stay in the level 60 classic. Seems like this can be abused pretty bad.

  7. #7
    That’ assuming there are a lot of friends having 20k who want to play different versions in the future.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Relevant to this thread so just gonna bump it.

    Let's say you have two friends. Bob is gonna only play level 60 classic while John is gonna play level 70 classic. Let's say both have 20k gold. Bob has his character advance to BC and then pays to have a copy to play level 60 classic. Now, he has 20k on both of these characters that exist on different servers at this point. John now does the same and also has characters on both versions of the game with 20k gold each. Now, he trades his 20k gold from his level 60 classic to Bob and Bob trades his 20k from his level 70 classic guy to John.

    Technically, no gold was duplicated or anything but in reality Bob's 20k gold was never going to go into the BC classic server and John's 20k was not going to stay in the level 60 classic. Seems like this can be abused pretty bad.
    That's not abuse, that is the literal function. To copy your character so you can play with it in both versions. All that's happening in your example is that two people decided to quite their respective versions and give their gold to a friend.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    That's not abuse, that is the literal function. To copy your character so you can play with it in both versions. All that's happening in your example is that two people decided to quite their respective versions and give their gold to a friend.
    Yeah, it just seems pretty fucked. I mean I have like 300k gold and I plan on playing BC but I'm definitely making a copy to stay on vanilla classic just so I can do some crazy shit with the 300k. Like buy up all the mats in the AH

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Yeah, it just seems pretty fucked. I mean I have like 300k gold and I plan on playing BC but I'm definitely making a copy to stay on vanilla classic just so I can do some crazy shit with the 300k. Like buy up all the mats in the AH
    lol how did you get 300k
    boosting leveling 24/24?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Haven't seen much discussion about this paid service Blizzard will offer, which I think is the only real issue with the TBC economy.

    If a community pools up gold to reach gold cap (max gold + full inventory of valuable shit), sends it all to one dude, that dude uses the copy & transfer service (the stuff he has is worth WAY more than whatever the cost will be), and then sends it all to the next guy who does the same thing.

    Theoretically it's possible for every single player who transfers to TBC to have gold cap this way, even if only one player on classic has reached that point currently.
    Theoretically, NO ... it's not possible, you don't choose when you get snapshooted and there is no copy and paste. The state the characters were when the servers go offline for prepatch will be state they are continued. So if the community pools up and gives everything to 1 guy, they will all be broke and that 1 guy will have everything.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Relevant to this thread so just gonna bump it.

    Let's say you have two friends. Bob is gonna only play level 60 classic while John is gonna play level 70 classic. Let's say both have 20k gold. Bob has his character advance to BC and then pays to have a copy to play level 60 classic. Now, he has 20k on both of these characters that exist on different servers at this point. John now does the same and also has characters on both versions of the game with 20k gold each. Now, he trades his 20k gold from his level 60 classic to Bob and Bob trades his 20k from his level 70 classic guy to John.

    Technically, no gold was duplicated or anything but in reality Bob's 20k gold was never going to go into the BC classic server and John's 20k was not going to stay in the level 60 classic. Seems like this can be abused pretty bad.
    That is true but it was also the case in vanilla or at any point that someone quit playing and gave all of their gold to friends. For example if Bob and John played vanilla and each had 20k and John decided to quit WoW and gave all of his gold to Bob, Bob would have had 40k.

    While your example works, Bob will be broke in Classic and John will be broke in TBC. But yes, assuming Bob does not want to play Classic ever again or is fine with starting from 0, John could offer to pay his clone to take his gold or vice versa.
    Last edited by kranur; 2021-05-08 at 06:17 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    lol how did you get 300k
    boosting leveling 24/24?
    non-stop GDKP runs on 3 characters

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Theoretically, NO ... it's not possible, you don't choose when you get snapshooted and there is no copy and paste. The state the characters were when the servers go offline for prepatch will be state they are continued. So if the community pools up and gives everything to 1 guy, they will all be broke and that 1 guy will have everything.

    - - - Updated - - -



    That is true but it was also the case in vanilla or at any point that someone quit playing and gave all of their gold to friends. For example if Bob and John played vanilla and each had 20k and John decided to quit WoW and gave all of his gold to Bob, Bob would have had 40k.

    While your example works, Bob will be broke in Classic and John will be broke in TBC. But yes, assuming Bob does not want to play Classic ever again or is fine with starting from 0, John could offer to pay his clone to take his gold or vice versa.
    Yeah, I mean it's not creating more gold than what would exist if those players played on the respective versions of the game. Still just seems like it could really fuck the market if people with mass amounts of gold copy the character just to do dumb shit with their gold on the version of the game they don't care about.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    lol how did you get 300k
    boosting leveling 24/24?
    I got 190k just by playing the AH and the guild running a gdkp. Gold buying was so ramped up on Classic that things that had no business being priced so high. During BWL days some people would pay like 10k for some items. In Naxx we had a weapon get bought for like 35k gold. Kids absolutely lost thier minds over shit blues and greens can replace in BC levelling.

  14. #14
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    23,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Haven't seen much discussion about this paid service Blizzard will offer, which I think is the only real issue with the TBC economy.

    If a community pools up gold to reach gold cap (max gold + full inventory of valuable shit), sends it all to one dude, that dude uses the copy & transfer service (the stuff he has is worth WAY more than whatever the cost will be), and then sends it all to the next guy who does the same thing.

    Theoretically it's possible for every single player who transfers to TBC to have gold cap this way, even if only one player on classic has reached that point currently.
    Sounds like someone who does not know how the cloning works...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Relevant to this thread so just gonna bump it.

    Let's say you have two friends. Bob is gonna only play level 60 classic while John is gonna play level 70 classic. Let's say both have 20k gold. Bob has his character advance to BC and then pays to have a copy to play level 60 classic. Now, he has 20k on both of these characters that exist on different servers at this point. John now does the same and also has characters on both versions of the game with 20k gold each. Now, he trades his 20k gold from his level 60 classic to Bob and Bob trades his 20k from his level 70 classic guy to John.

    Technically, no gold was duplicated or anything but in reality Bob's 20k gold was never going to go into the BC classic server and John's 20k was not going to stay in the level 60 classic. Seems like this can be abused pretty bad.
    i mean its not really "abused" Especially as this requires bob to tell john to pay 35$ to clone, just so he can give him his 20k.

  15. #15
    Shit by that logic I can make a level 1 Blood Elf, copy a gold cap classic character, send all my shit to the alt, delete said copy and then do it again....and if paying $70 USD is worth doubling your number with a little yellow circle in front of it that's on you

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I got 190k just by playing the AH and the guild running a gdkp. Gold buying was so ramped up on Classic that things that had no business being priced so high. During BWL days some people would pay like 10k for some items. In Naxx we had a weapon get bought for like 35k gold. Kids absolutely lost thier minds over shit blues and greens can replace in BC levelling.
    if gdkp yields that much I guess it's because bots farming raw gold inflated the gold in circulation and wrecked a part of the economy
    still impressive to have people earning that much

  17. #17
    Has it not been confirmed that classic only servers are the new servers being made? From what I understand, you're not choosing to progress to TBC, all existing servers will progress to TBC and you can clone characters to exist on a classic only server. In no way would you be able to abuse the system to get more gold going into TBC, only to get more gold on the classic only servers (which is rather pointless considering it will never progress past where it already is)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    Has it not been confirmed that classic only servers are the new servers being made? From what I understand, you're not choosing to progress to TBC, all existing servers will progress to TBC and you can clone characters to exist on a classic only server. In no way would you be able to abuse the system to get more gold going into TBC, only to get more gold on the classic only servers (which is rather pointless considering it will never progress past where it already is)
    Exactly. Also there will be a lot of big gold players on the new Classic Era Servers. This will be bullshit anyway. Wierd Market.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    if gdkp yields that much I guess it's because bots farming raw gold inflated the gold in circulation and wrecked a part of the economy
    still impressive to have people earning that much
    Oh without a doubt. It is a terrible circle. In fact, we know of one of the guilds on the server that is pretty active in the RTM (surprise they were huge PR guild) and it is widely known people buy gold from their bot farms (3rd party accounts and such of course), use it in their gdkp, and then it gets partly circled back into the gold selling stock, repeat, repeat, and repeat. In a way it is almost like washing the money because once its moved hands and though several layers at a cut it almost becomes "clean". From what I understand their guild bank has gained millions of gold because of this cleaning process basically from their own bot farms but its really hard to connect the dots "officially".
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2021-05-09 at 02:38 AM.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    if gdkp yields that much I guess it's because bots farming raw gold inflated the gold in circulation and wrecked a part of the economy
    still impressive to have people earning that much
    I was surprised too. Running GDKPs (even for earlier raids) ended up being better gold/hour than most farming on a packed server. At least one of my alts was made solely for GDKP gold income.

    I still have no idea how so many people are able to bid as much as they do on some items. KT weapons going for 100k is like $3000+ if we’re assuming it’s RMT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •