Poll: Can you learn a class in a few hours?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    Honestly the worst WoW belief I commonly see is “you need to level with a class for a long time to truly learn how to play the class”. NO, just stop with that stupid belief. I (and many others I know) have learned a class and played optimally in a few hours (1-2) by reading the abilities and reading a small online guide. Can we stop with this stupid belief?
    They may know how to play "optimally" but in the end you only get better by playing more (muscle memory, and simple memory of encounters).
    Switching roles or even from melee to ranged is a completely different gameplay.

Leveling is nothing and you learn nothing that's true, but in the end you have to experience some max lvl dungeons to "get good"

7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the worst WoW belief I commonly see is “you need to level with a class for a long time to truly learn how to play the class”. NO, just stop with that stupid belief. I (and many others I know) have learned a class and played optimally in a few hours (1-2) by reading the abilities and reading a small online guide. Can we stop with this stupid belief?
    Its not that you need it, its just the best way to be honest.

It also allows you to build your actionbar quite naturly, with one new ability being added at a time.

So its not a stupid belief at all. It grounds in a good understandment, but as with everything, its not solely the only way.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Bolded part made me laugh out loud just thinking of his grey logs
    You only need to know your rotation and know the fight to get out of the grey parses. There are plenty of youtube videos 15-30 minute go-throughs and then you can go into class Discord to ask any questions. Something with very simple builder spender type like Frost mage can be learnt very easy.
    Depending on a player, that's all it might take, if you already know where to use CDs and stuff.

The OP opinion is minority! Lol!

Well maybe some players can master any class in 2 hours, maybe. But I know a lot of players that if I give them a new class nothing will go right im weeks until they understand the basics. So yeah everybody has their rithm.

...dude what? You aren't even max level in an hour or two. Talents and stuff change the way some things work.

Can we stop with this stupid belief?
    The stupid belief that you can learn to play a class in a few hours ? I agree.

I mean - I can learn the rules of chess in 30 minutes, but you won't know how to play for months if not years.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Are you suggesting if you hand some rando, who never played the game before a max level character with mythic level gear, it should only take them a couple hours to play optimally? In what type of content world quest? Sure, but Mythic plus dungeons? Regular/Heroic/Mythic raiding? PVP? To be able to learn the class, and I mean how to play all aspects of the class, it is going to take more than a few hours. I would agree that leveling really doesn't do much considering most classes you spam a few spells while leveling, do virtually no cc'ing, and rarely have to even eat to regen health. So yes and no is my answer. I agree leveling doesn't do much but 1 to 2 hours won't teach you a class inside and out either. Definitely not in the type of content I mentioned above.
    “We are living in an era when sanity is controversial and insanity is just another viewpoint—and degeneracy only another lifestyle." Thomas Sowell.

Quote Originally Posted by scubi666stacy View Post
    My latest class learning experience is from Legion, but still - I usually play specific specs of a class. But to get all kinds of Artifact skins, especially Mage Tower, I learned to play every spec, this happened way after I got the characters to max level. I was playing well enough so I could beat all 36 challenges multiple times. So, you don't really need leveling, especially if leveling is not challenging.

- - - Updated - - -

You cannot learn this from leveling, either. You need to get into the challenging content, and use guides for this content, and train your reflexes etc. - which you simply cannot train while leveling except getting basic muscle memory for the abilities which you use constantly.
    Oh I completely agree. If it sounds otherwise I might have chosen my words poorly.

In fact I find the only content that really sharpens your skills with your class is M+ because it requires every member of the team to perform well and make the best of their utility. Raids require skill too no doubt, but you can sometimes be lost in the crowd (with increasing difficulty this becomes less and less an option of course).

This is why I think that M+ is mandatory if you want to get good at the game.

You don't learn shit leveling. If anything you learn all the wrong things. Imo the best way to learn a spec is spend a few hours doing nothing but hitting a dummy to get the muscle memory going while tinkering with your UI, talents, AoE vs. ST and movement. This has been my method for more than 10 years (god help me) and I feel confident that I can pick up any spec and raid competitively within a few days.

Key is just putting in the dummy time to get very comfortable with the rotation and UI, because if you try and do this in an actual raid environment it's going to take a lot longer and you might pick up bad habits that can be a bitch to unlearn later.

The argument is primarily used in Classic but it's not even true there. You learn nothing about how to play your class in a raid for example by leveling up and considering that there is zero long term endgame content in that game outside of raiding leveling to learn your class is even more pointless.

You can learn enough to play a build or two in a few hours, getting maybe 75% out of the class. However, that last 25% is what separates the good players from the great players, & that takes a hell of a lot longer.

Still, with some genuine effort to improve themselves (& in turn make it a hell of a lot less annoying to be grouped with them for everyone else ) anyone can get to a point where they can comfortably raid heroic IMO.