Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ...
11
19
20
21
22
23
... LastLast
  1. #401
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That "more work" applies the same way around for a mathematician for whom this styling would be "normal", and who has to work around that to work in standard European notation because Europeans insist upon it as if it were the standard because they (apparently) are the only ones who get a say. That's the entire issue, really. One one particular little sub-factor, at least.
    I live in Spain, it took me a good year to get over the mental block I've had with the short scale system and the existence of the number "one thousand millions" or milliard in Spanish as in 1 billion being=1 thousand millions and 1 billion being=1 trillion on the long scale.

    Nowadays I'm working on a project in India, and while the guys there use the European numbering system 95% of the time the occasional lakh and crore slips in or Indian 2.2.3 digit grouping, we've been at it for a year now and I still have to check my notes every god damn time to be able to do a damn conversion because my brain refuses to process it even tho I'm fully aware what those things mean, I just can't do anything with them, so despite having a STEM degree I'm basically mathematically illiterate.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-03-16 at 07:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  2. #402
    youtubers are "celebrities" now huh.

    Maybe one or two of them. Certainly not all of them.

    So this title is very click baity
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  3. #403
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    youtubers are "celebrities" now huh.

    Maybe one or two of them. Certainly not all of them.

    So this title is very click baity
    I mean...they're buying multi-million dollar mansions. There are whole sites dedicated to gossip around them. They've got merch. They've got devoted followings. They've got creepy stalkers.

    Like it or not, they kinda are. I mean, teenage Minecraft YouTubers were buying multi-million dollar Beverly Hills mansions.

  4. #404
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,229
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    youtubers are "celebrities" now huh.

    Maybe one or two of them. Certainly not all of them.

    So this title is very click baity



    confused as to why you think they wouldn't fall under that term?
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  5. #405
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    I hate to pull this card, but this is 100% the appeal to authority fallacy. Klainerman may be a PhD in mathematics, and his stance is reasonable from his perspective, but he is not a sociologist and his stance shows he did not consider the issues presented. No one has said that math, as in 1+1=2, is racist even though that is the stance he is broadly arguing against.
    I wouldn't make that claim. There's plenty more links I could post which points out the ultra-polarized mess the USA is in.

    But just read the past two pages and you'll see that it doesn't matter what kind of evidence or sources people post, words will get twisted, PhD's will get contradicted on the subject. Everyone has already made up their mind and in a few years US kids won't be taught maths or science anymore, because it's not socially acceptable. I'm sure people think they're making intelligent or rational points, but to me it appears as if they're just trying to twist words into their own biased agenda.

    Here is a bunch more:
    https://theconversation.com/yes-math...to-begin-65963



    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnomathematics

    https://www.jstor.org/stable/41674951?seq=1

    etc. etc.
    Last edited by Yas-Queen Rochana; 2021-03-16 at 08:06 PM.
    - The One and Only, the Legendary, the Mighty - You might recognize me from the forum signatures of lesser mortals obsessed with me. -
    Vexing little man-babies and normies on the internet since before you were born.

  6. #406
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    I wouldn't make that claim. There's plenty more links I could post.

    But just read the past two pages and you'll see that it doesn't matter what kind of evidence people post, words will get twisted, PhD's will get contradicted on the subject. Everyone has already made up their mind and in a few years US kids won't be taught maths or science anymore, because it's not socially acceptable. I'm sure people think they're making intelligent points, but to me it appears as if they're just trying to twist words into their own biased agenda.
    I'm familiar with the text. I've read it before.

    It doesn't do any of that. It doesn't say any of that. You never read it. I'm going to assume you are not an idiot or illiterate, so I will assume had you read it, you'd know it doesn't do any of that.

    Or you know, you could give us some quotes from that text that you find objectionable.

    You'd wouldn't get banned for any of it. There's no religion in that text, in fact there's absolutely nothing in that text that would go anywhere any forbidden topics.

    Common, copy paste and link the bits where "words get twisted" and where it recommends that in a few years we shouldn't teach maths or science anymore.

    You have a rapt audience, common, give us some quotes, do it for "the cause", do it for the children! Do it for America!

    No Gish galloping buddy! First let's deal with the first thing you linked.

    Ethnomathematics just refers to the study of what I referenced in an earlier post, and what others referenced too. Short scale, long scale numbering systems, numbering systems based on binary, septemary, decimals, hexadecimals, the Indian system etc. Have you tried reading the very first paragraph of what you linked?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnomathematics

    In mathematics education, ethnomathematics is the study of the relationship between mathematics and culture.[1] Often associated with "cultures without written expression",[2] it may also be defined as "the mathematics which is practised among identifiable cultural groups".[3] It refers to a broad cluster of ideas ranging from distinct numerical and mathematical systems to multicultural mathematics education. The goal of ethnomathematics is to contribute both to the understanding of culture and the understanding of mathematics, and mainly to lead to an appreciation of the connections between the two.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numeral_systems

    Maybe stop linking stuff you haven't actually read. Like, not even the heading.

    ...and you linked a YT video of TedX talk with 35k views, 2/3 of which are probably right wingers hate watching.

    Edit: I watched the video. She doesn't even say anything remotely controversial.

    For example, she doesn't say we shouldn't study Kant in philosophy...but that we should consider that he was raging maniacal racist and how that could have affected the various philosophical school of thought that he influenced, she doesn't even call him a negative figure. Also kinda points out that rappers are fairly often poets. What they are doing is rhythmic poetry, you might not like it (I don't like rap), but it's still poetry, and especially considering the social context of that poetry, maybe we ought to study it a bit more seriously.

    The comparison she makes between modern rappers and Shakespeare is very apt. Shakespeare at his time was considered fairly vulgar and even low class. It took a while before he turned into the mascot of the English language and theater.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-03-16 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  7. #407
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...they're buying multi-million dollar mansions. There are whole sites dedicated to gossip around them. They've got merch. They've got devoted followings. They've got creepy stalkers.

    Like it or not, they kinda are. I mean, teenage Minecraft YouTubers were buying multi-million dollar Beverly Hills mansions.
    Logan Paul. Pewdipie w/e his name is can claim that.

    And maybe a few of the super hot people who do yoga or twerking or whatever near nude content you can push on non r18 platforms.

    But Jimmy Dore? Who the hell is that
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  8. #408
    Pandaren Monk Magical Mudcrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    All across Nirn.
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Like, I'm not trying to be snide about anything there. It's pretty standard calculus from what I can see, but the entire point of linking it is that there's a linguistic barrier and cultural assumptions in play that make it more difficult for someone used to European notation systems to work out. It doesn't mean you CAN'T work it out, but it takes more effort than it would if it had been done in standard English.

    That "more work" applies the same way around for a mathematician for whom this styling would be "normal", and who has to work around that to work in standard European notation because Europeans insist upon it as if it were the standard because they (apparently) are the only ones who get a say. That's the entire issue, really. One one particular little sub-factor, at least.
    I might have not communicated what I meant very well (sometimes brevity is not my friend). I think we're on the same page with the point you were making. What I meant was that I can sort-of work it out with my knowledge, I can understand the standard symbols and could piece together what it means and interpret it in a way that's a bit more legible to people familiar with western/European notation, but the altered notation and the usage of symbols that are not from the English alphabet make it hard to follow even though I can understand the what it is at a glance. With the intent being to say that the ability to fluently move between the various notations, especially when you have worked with one of them throughout your entire life, is obviously going to be an additional mental load that will put people at a disadvantage.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

  9. #409
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    I wouldn't make that claim. There's plenty more links I could post which points out the ultra-polarized mess the USA is in.

    But just read the past two pages and you'll see that it doesn't matter what kind of evidence or sources people post, words will get twisted, PhD's will get contradicted on the subject. Everyone has already made up their mind and in a few years US kids won't be taught maths or science anymore, because it's not socially acceptable. I'm sure people think they're making intelligent or rational points, but to me it appears as if they're just trying to twist words into their own biased agenda.

    Here is a bunch more:
    https://theconversation.com/yes-math...to-begin-65963



    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnomathematics

    https://www.jstor.org/stable/41674951?seq=1

    etc. etc.
    I'm skimming the links and listening to this video and still not seeing anything backing up your assertions, which are amusingly difficult to distinguish from a Tucker Carlson segment.

    It seems it's all focused on how math has primarily and historically been taught via western/European sensibilities and methods, with little regard for if there are any other ways to teach math to students who don't come with that western/European sense of culture. It's all talking about different approaches to teaching mathematics and other subjects to students. Not saying "2+2=5" like has been asserted in bad faith, but that maybe existing methods which frequently lead to worse outcomes for diverse students aren't serving those students well and the ways in which we teach students should be critically analyzed in an attempt to ensure the best possible outcomes for the students.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Logan Paul. Pewdipie w/e his name is can claim that.
    Both have been covered by TMZ, the arbiters of "celebrity". Like it or not, they're celebrities. They may be garbage human beings, they may rely on teenage fanbases, but so have plenty of celebrities over the years. If it weren't for horny teens, I don't think Britney would be as huge a star as she was/is.

  10. #410
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    I wouldn't make that claim. There's plenty more links I could post which points out the ultra-polarized mess the USA is in.

    But just read the past two pages and you'll see that it doesn't matter what kind of evidence or sources people post, words will get twisted, PhD's will get contradicted on the subject. Everyone has already made up their mind and in a few years US kids won't be taught maths or science anymore, because it's not socially acceptable. I'm sure people think they're making intelligent or rational points, but to me it appears as if they're just trying to twist words into their own biased agenda.

    Here is a bunch more:
    https://theconversation.com/yes-math...to-begin-65963



    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnomathematics

    https://www.jstor.org/stable/41674951?seq=1

    etc. etc.
    I still see nothing about this shamanism you claim is being taught.

    You could just admit you were lying, and dave yourself continued embarrassment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  11. #411
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post



    Both have been covered by TMZ, the arbiters of "celebrity". Like it or not, they're celebrities. They may be garbage human beings, they may rely on teenage fanbases, but so have plenty of celebrities over the years. If it weren't for horny teens, I don't think Britney would be as huge a star as she was/is.
    Edge come on. I was literally saying a handful of them can like the ones I mentioned but on who the hell is Jimmy Dore, Like come on.

    Also money to buy mansions has nothing to do with celebrity. Some of the biggest celebrities are broke from legal or drug addiction problems
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  12. #412
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Edge come on. I was literally saying a handful of them can like the ones I mentioned but on who the hell is Jimmy Dore, Like come on.

    Also money to buy mansions has nothing to do with celebrity. Some of the biggest celebrities are broke from legal or drug addiction problems
    Jimmy Dore is relevant in US political circles. He's an idiot, but unfortunately relevant enough that his stupid shit can affect stuff that's ongoing in Congress.

    You might have not heard of him, but people who engage in US politics have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  13. #413
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    who the hell is Jimmy Dore, Like come on.
    I ask myself the same thing when it comes to a ton of modern celebrities because I don't know who they are and don't care. That doesn't mean they're not celebrities.

    Again, if I'm wondering to myself, "Is this person a celebrity?" all I do is check to see if TMZ has covered them. If they have, they're a celebrity. I may loathe what TMZ stands for, but I can't ever argue that they're not excellent at what they do. The way they can consistently get stuff like security footage before law enforcement blows my damned mind.

  14. #414
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    youtubers are "celebrities" now huh.

    Maybe one or two of them. Certainly not all of them.

    So this title is very click baity
    The title was changed by a moderator from "Dirtbag Left" to "Stars" which isn't an accurate representation of the article (or the title of the article) in question but that's what it was changed to.
    There is a limit to the success of conservative populism and the exploitation of "little guy" or "silent majority" rhetoric, and it is very often reached because of the emaciated, corrupted personalities of the demagogues themselves.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #415
    At the end of the day, money can be made off the Trumpsters and other far-right shitbirds. Plenty of stars, pundits, con artists, and opportunists see a great deal of profit potential off of them.

    They have proven themselves to be ignorant and easily manipulated... which makes them a gold mine for those who lack morals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  16. #416
    @Yas-Queen Rochana

    This is an honest to God, not mocking question.

    I wonder how you function on this outrage machine?

    -Do you just randomly go to some random right wing source that says...."Ethno-cookies! Liberals are banning all cookies for being racist" and they put in a random wiki link for "Ethno-cookies" and you just angry about it?

    Because when you click the link or read source or something, you usually find out something like "Ethno-cookies, the field in culinary science specialized in the study of cookie making in different cultures".

    It's usually harmless or useful stuff, but you guys get like super mad about it, but you don't seem to know what you are actually talking about. You're just mad because it has the word "ethno" in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  17. #417
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It seems it's all focused on how math has primarily and historically been taught via western/European sensibilities and methods, with little regard for if there are any other ways to teach math to students who don't come with that western/European sense of culture. It's all talking about different approaches to teaching mathematics and other subjects to students. Not saying "2+2=5" like has been asserted in bad faith, but that maybe existing methods which frequently lead to worse outcomes for diverse students aren't serving those students well and the ways in which we teach students should be critically analyzed in an attempt to ensure the best possible outcomes for the students.
    This reminds me of those viral equations we see every now and then that explode in the internet. Like this one:

    8 ÷ 2 (2 + 2) = ?

    (I'm not even sorry)
    Last edited by Santti; 2021-03-16 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

  18. #418
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I ask myself the same thing when it comes to a ton of modern celebrities because I don't know who they are and don't care. That doesn't mean they're not celebrities.

    Again, if I'm wondering to myself, "Is this person a celebrity?" all I do is check to see if TMZ has covered them. If they have, they're a celebrity. I may loathe what TMZ stands for, but I can't ever argue that they're not excellent at what they do. The way they can consistently get stuff like security footage before law enforcement blows my damned mind.
    Its not rocket science, They pay people for it. And people know they will pay so they call them up first with the info.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  19. #419
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    -Do you just randomly go to some random right wing source that says...."Ethno-cookies! Liberals are banning all cookies for being racist" and they put in a random wiki link for "Ethno-cookies" and you just angry about it?
    I form my opinion over a long period of time, but I don't keep links and sources for everything I ever absorb.

    Also even ethnomathematics is nonsense, because US engineers already need to take an extra year of courses compared to european ones because their minds are afflicted by the imperial system. Good luck trying to have a different system for every 'ethnicity' and trying to progress science in that manner. The idea behind maths and exact sciences is that they are already a universal language - so protests demanding that shamanism should be respected on the same level or that we need to apply new ethno-systems in a language that is already universal is pretty absurd.

    Wokeism just goes a few steps too far in the USA and nobody dares to tell these few crazies to shut up. They only dare to that to people for whom they don't lose clout.
    - The One and Only, the Legendary, the Mighty - You might recognize me from the forum signatures of lesser mortals obsessed with me. -
    Vexing little man-babies and normies on the internet since before you were born.

  20. #420
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    I form my opinion over a long period of time, but I don't keep links and sources for everything I ever absorb.

    Also even ethnomathematics is nonsense, because US engineers already need to take an extra year of courses compared to european ones because their minds are afflicted by the imperial system. Good luck trying to have a different system for every 'ethnicity' and trying to progress science in that manner. The idea behind maths and exact sciences is that they are already a universal language - so protests demanding that shamanism should be respected on the same level or that we need to apply new ethno-systems in a language that is already universal is pretty absurd.

    Wokeism just goes a few steps too far in the USA and nobody dares to tell these few crazies to shut up. They only dare to that to people for whom they don't lose clout.
    So, how did you form your opinion that they are teaching shamanism in schools as an alternative to math?
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •