Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    More interested in hearing from Slant, since identifying contrary evidence to sinister plots is something of a breath of fresh, ideological air. Heads, the fascist takeover is imminent , tails, the *ahem* setbacks prove the fascist conspiracy is as close as ever. It isn't a fun game.
    Ideological air? Why don’t you tell me more about USSR... What part of the Czar was the right creeping?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Was there some alt right pod cast about this shit? USSR was founded on a revolution with a demand for ‘peace, bread and land’... How different is it from ‘40 acres and a mule’?
    I'm sure if you start looking around the darker corners you'll find it. At one level, seeking greater civil peace, less hungry, and increased housing availability is so trite that it barely bears mentioning. But I'm sure merely having making the a goal is proof of communist sympathies.

I'd even say the example of Huey Long is even more relevant to supplement with your reconstruction sentiment, if you're familiar.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    No different to them flirting with the far left.
    Why do people support fascists?

Weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    At one level, seeking greater civil peace, less hungry, and increased housing availability is so trite that it barely bears mentioning.
    This is privilege speaking... it’s not trite to slaves or people who have nothing. I will ask again... What part of the Czar was going too conservative? Because to me... everything you say, seems to be empty ideological rhetoric, that sounds good... but, lacks any meaning what so ever.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    This is privilege speaking... it’s not trite to slaves or people who have nothing. I will ask again... What part of the Czar was going too conservative? Because to me... everything you say, seems to be empty ideological rhetoric, that sounds good... but, lacks any meaning what so ever.
    If I were to tell you the story of the politician that committed himself to be in favor of motherhood and apple pie, would your response be that it's a clear example of parent-privilege and a detachment to the problem of hunger?

It's not your fault that I'm a little overexposed to your narrative from anonymous writers on the internet, but do you seriously deviate in any meaningful way from a cohort of yours that they'd accuse you of being too on the right for them? Maybe the fragility of Tsarist institutions is an interesting conversation, but I used the USSR to poke fun at cranks that think it's right around the corner.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account
    And, frankly, we can forever talk about our institutions and our democracy being continually under threat and deserving constant vigilance with some truth.
    Except for the fact that's a massive strawman, lol.

We're not talking about a vague constant "other" that must be guarded against in the vein of the Founders' bullshit about tyranny - we're talking about how propensity for fascism is a result of specific systems and saying that the US has such a system that is drifting increasingly towards that propensity as a result of a specific and concerted effort by Republicans over the past half century including but not limited to voter suppression, court packing, gerrymandering, union busting, sabotaging public programs, and generally being as obstructionist as possible.

Nor does it change that, yes, you're still engaging in a false equivalency by comparing it to the Red Scare because the international communist conspiracy was never real; fascism is and has been a real feature of American society since day one.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-03-17 at 08:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

If I were to tell you the story of the politician that committed himself to be in favor of motherhood and apple pie, would your response be that it's a clear example of parent-privilege and a detachment to the problem of hunger?
    I think we'd be more confused as to why her political views only extend to being a mom and liking apple pie, and wonder what her views are on actual political topics.

bullshit
    Only one of the two sides attempted a violent overthrow of an elected government, and only one of two sides is actively engaging in voter suppression, domestic terrorism etc.

I agree, it's not both sides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Only one of the two sides attempted a violent overthrow of an elected government.
    God... I'm gonna be sick... that did happen... for a fucking failed reality TV star fail son.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    But thats cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would ask what issues you have with motherhood and apple pie in your country, that those are revolutionary statements.

It's not your fault that I'm a little overexposed to your narrative from anonymous writers on the internet, but do you seriously deviate in any meaningful way from a cohort of yours that they'd accuse you of being too on the right for them? Maybe the fragility of Tsarist institutions is an interesting conversation, but I used the USSR to poke fun at cranks that think it's right around the corner.
    I’m using actual history... literal promise made by Lenin and Lincoln, drawing a comparison between slaves and the Russian serfdom. I’m not using “cranks”, after bitching about my narrative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    But thats cool.
    It's much like the disinformation about the relative positions of the Republicans and Democrats, whenever anyone brings up "but the Democrats were the party of the KKK!"

Shit changes. In particular, global politics in the late 19th and particularly the early 20th largely went from the top-left to bottom-right of the political spectrum; left-authoritarian to right-libertarian. Classical liberals being the latter and Leninism and Stalinism et al being the former.

Post-WWII, however, that axis flipped. It's been largely left-libertarian to right-authoritarian. Emphasis on "largely", once you're outside the USA; there's certainly a wide range, and I'm talking about really broad strokes. But in the USA in particular, it's heavily stripped down along that line; there are essentially zero left-authoritarians in any political capacity. The likes of Bernie and AOC are firmly left-libertarian. Right-libertarians have a small presence, but look at how relevant the Libertarian Party in the USA is in any election cycle to see how relevant they are to the discourse.

The issue is the rhetoric didn't change, by right-wingers. They still dishonestly present themselves as right-libertarian when they are decidedly not. And they present the Democrats as left-authoritarian, just as dishonestly.

Worse, you can tell it's dishonest, and not just general stupidity, because they inherently admit that they are right-authoritarians when they bring up stuff like "horseshoe theory" or any "both sides" arguments regarding the Democrats' supposed authoritarianism.

I'm 100% opposed to basically every poster here in ideology,
    That's because you're a bloody anarchist.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Nah, he's just a devout Trumpster.

Ah yes, where they give you a higher wage, better standard of living and everyone gets healthcare, the fucking horror. Meanwhile, when was the last left wing terrorist attack? 40+ years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Nah, he's just a devout Trumpster.
    I mean, he really just wants civilisation to be destroyed is the vibe I got in the past. Doesn't make sense either way to me.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I think nihilist describes them better - the one-step-up from anarchists.

At least anarchists like @Machismo have a right-wrong compass, as misguided as it might be, but nihilists on the other hand lack this entirely and it shows in @tehdang 's blatant apathy for fact and fiction.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    I think nihilist describes them better - the one-step-up from anarchists.

At least anarchists like @Machismo have a right-wrong compass, as misguided as it might be, but nihilists on the other hand lack this entirely and it shows in @tehdang 's blatant apathy for fact and fiction.
    For the 50th time, I'm not an anarchist.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    For the 50th time, I'm not an anarchist.
    tfw the libs cant identify libertarians, anarchists or reactionaries.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    tfw the libs cant identify libertarians, anarchists or reactionaries.
    Shrug, what else would you label someone who supports a government that exists only in name but have no power to enforce any law or policy they enact?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future