Poll: Would you fire an employee for calling a customer a Karen?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Capitalism!!! You can abuse my workers as much as you want to, just pay me! You giving that employee a "cut" of the profits? If not, the fuck should they put up with that shit for?
    Nobody forces you to work for me. If you can't be stoic in face of retards without manners for (big) money, you can always collect welfare checks.

Very easy math. If I expect the employee to bring in... let's say 60.000€ in sales per year. If he causes a customer to drop who brings in more than that per year, I am putting my business at risk and with that also other people who work for me.

So, tell me again. What kind of business practice is it to insult customers? I would like to read up on that methodology.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2021-03-19 at 11:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends, if the customer was being rude, and we were probably going to be asking them to leave anyways, no.
    They just do it cause the person was being abit annoying, would talk to them, but wouldnt fire unless it was a repeat, unwarranted issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Nobody forces you to work for me. If you can't be stoic in face of retards without manners for (big) money, you can always collect welfare checks.

Very easy math. If I expect the employee to bring in... let's say 60.000€ in sales per year. If he causes a customer to drop who brings in more than that per year, I am putting my business at risk and with that also other people who work for me.

So, tell me again. What kind of business practice is it to insult customers? I would like to read up on that methodology.
    I dont care how good a "customer" you are, you abuse my staff, you can go somewhere else.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    I dont care how good a "customer" you are, you abuse my staff, you can go somewhere else.
    "Abuse"?

The scenario we have is an employee calling a customer a Karen. Which, in most likelihood means that the employee had to deal with an overly demanding and/or otherwise annoying customer.

The question is not "would you fire your employee for being abused?"

I said it already, if we're talking about a small scale scenario with a bad behaving customer who made my low wage employee lose it once? I'd probably slide it and offer consultancy on how to solve this better in the future.

If you're one of my consultants and you call a demanding customer a Karen because they want to have the best service possible for their 5,6 or 7 digit investments or purchases? Get the hell out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    Any job experience is good experience . . but in this case i would also send such person to dig ditches preferably in autumn / winter for a week so that he can appreciate that he is working in warm indoors clean enviroment.
    Man, working indoors? What luxury, clearly there's nothing to be upset or frustrated about when they're so well taken care of by *checks notes* working at an indoor retail location where they're often subject to abuse from customers on a daily basis.

I'm well beyond the nonsense, "the customer is always right and you must be submissive and act like your job in life is to serve and accommodate them." mentality. If a customer is acting up and being verbally abusive of staff, they should have every right to tell the customer to fuck right the hell off and leave the store, they shouldn't have to put up with that abuse just for the "privilege" of working indoors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, working indoors? What luxury, clearly there's nothing to be upset or frustrated about when they're so well taken care of by *checks notes* working at an indoor retail location where they're often subject to abuse from customers on a daily basis.

I'm well beyond the nonsense, "the customer is always right and you must be submissive and act like your job in life is to serve and accommodate them." mentality. If a customer is acting up and being verbally abusive of staff, they should have every right to tell the customer to fuck right the hell off and leave the store, they shouldn't have to put up with that abuse just for the "privilege" of working indoors.
    Honestly, a huge amount of Western civilization in the modern era boils down to "sacrifice your dignity and agency as a human being so your capitalist betters can make money off your suffering". The denial of workers' dignity, in cases like this. The education system, which is primarily focused on both preparing people for the workforce (rather than personal development) and enforcing submission to authority and rigid discipline to social order. That wage theft easily outpaces burglary and such in terms of value lost to the victims, but sees nearly no legal protection for those victims and very little legal recourses they can pursue, and so on, and so forth.

This is Western society. It isn't a bug, it's the basis of the entire system and ethos.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    Instantly

He is in work and he represent company he works for.

I would also probably try to sue him for possible damages he may have caused to our company by purporsedly behaving this way .

- - - Updated - - -

Any job experience is good experience . . but in this case i would also send such person to dig ditches preferably in autumn / winter for a week so that he can appreciate that he is working in warm indoors clean enviroment.

this doesnt change the fact that when in work everyone should behave proffesionaly

if someone wants to show off his believes he can always start his own business .

then he will only dmg his own brand in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

luckily in few years all of this kind of employees will be replaced by automatization and online-shopping - giving them plenty oportunities to find their luck somewhere else while customers dont have to deal with unproffesional retail/food ervice workers.
    It's gonna take more than a few years before we're automating much besides cashier positions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    enforcing submission to authority and rigid discipline to social order
    So you mean like it's being done since we started walking straight on two legs?

This is not "the Western society", it's the "society" period.

Yes, there is a social order, discipline and laws. The Western society can pride itself on being as liberal as it gets with it, because if you think it's any better in your precious commie happy land, then you probably read Pravda a tad too often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    So you mean like it's being done since we started walking straight on two legs?

This is not "the Western society", it's the "society" period.

Yes, there is a social order, discipline and laws. The Western society can pride itself on being as liberal as it gets with it, because if you think it's any better in your precious commie happy land, then you probably read Pravda a tad too often.
    I wasn't talking about abiding by the laws. I was talking about regimenting your life around the tolling of a bell and strict scheduling down to the minute where you will be punished for any tardiness and such. Because of arbitrary and largely senseless rules dictated by someone you have no capacity to influence.

But kudos on calling me a "commie", which demonstrates you don't have a justifiable ground to base any argument upon.

Particularly as, y'know, communism is a Western idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't talking about abiding by the laws. I was talking about regimenting your life around the tolling of a bell and strict scheduling down to the minute where you will be punished for any tardiness and such. Because of arbitrary and largely senseless rules dictated by someone you have no capacity to influence.
    Yeah, I'm sure you are regimenting your life around tolling of a bell and strict scheduling down to a minute under pain of punishment, you entitled prima donna.

We live lives that are about as sheltered and privileged they ever been in the history of mankind. Society and social order allows you to sit comfy on your ass bullshit people day and night and coddled throughout your whole life.

I've seen people working their asses off on a clock in 12 hour shifts in a shitty electronics factory in Fuzhou, 6 days a week. Seeing some privileged ass white boy in fucking Canada musing about hardships of society and social order makes me sick.

Say thanks you and I get to live in this "oppressive" Western society "toiling" and "suffering". At least I have enough decency not to shed crocodile complaining about social order and society that drops into my lap life standards that are better than 85% of the fucking world and counting, by default.
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2021-03-20 at 05:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure you are regimenting your life around tolling of a bell and strict scheduling down to a minute under pain of punishment, you entitled prima donna.
    Setting an alarm clock, for instance. I've definitely had jobs where I'd face repercussions for being 5 minutes late clocking in or out. Hell, one telemarketing job, my supervisor took me to task for spending on average 30 seconds "too long" with each customer, even though I also had the highest customer-satisfaction ratings for anyone in my group.

And I really don't think those are exceptions to most people's experience.

We live lives that are about as sheltered and privileged they ever been in the history of mankind. Society and social order allows you to sit comfy on your ass bullshit people day and night and coddled throughout your whole life.
    "You enjoy some comforts and thus should ignore any remaining injustices or inequities" is a super bad take.

Say thanks you and I get to live in this "oppressive" Western society "toiling" and "suffering". At least I have enough decency not to shed crocodile tears with life standards that are better than 80% of the fucking world and counting.
    I really don't know where you got the impression my concerns stop with my national borders, but it's wrong, and means you're completely missing the point, on purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    Then you can go off and live on an island and be your own king not answering to anyone.

Yes, we set up alarm clock to wake up in the morning and go about our day.

We have rights, privileges and also obligations to fulfill - that's how society works. I go get my groceries and shit or coffee in cafe and people working there from X to Y enable me to go on with my day and do my work, which is my part in the society. I also have obligations to them in way they don't directly see, as many others.

This is how a bloody society works, in the end everyone in this shit together one way or another to make our cumulative lives MUCH better than they were in the past.

It does not mean there are no flaws, but fuck me, we living in this "Western" society, sure are on the top of the food chain as far as freedoms and privileges go.

So no, I'm not going to be unwrapping my red flag stashed in a cardboard box waving it all around like when I was 3 years old back in USSR. That shit does not work and I'm glad it's dead. I'd wish it would die in China too, it's absolutely monstrous duplicitous amalgamation of Communism, Nationalism and Capitalism there, I seen that shit myself and thanks god I'm not a part of that social order. I escaped that sheet back in my early teens when it was all collapsing around everyone.

So yeah, I'm fine with Western society - too bad you have beef with it, but in the end, I'm sure you're fucking happy there are people waking up to go to work to serve your needs, so you will have time to spread that neo-commie anarchist BS all over the place.

- - - Updated - - -

Also... thanks for reminding me that I need to digitize that picture of me ~3 years old on that kids bicycle holding a small red flag with a very very stern face. Reminds me of some posters here.

5+ Year Old Account
    Y'all need to tone it back down
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Depends. But generally, you can't and don't fire people willy-nilly. Note to file, warnings and suspensions exist for a reason. If the circumstances were particularly egregious or heated I would opt to take a harsher route with the employee depending on the situation.

But it comes down to value; is that employee valued in a way that I can not replace versus this customer?
    If an employee is being disrespectful to any customer in any way I would fire them.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    If an employee is being disrespectful to any customer in any way I would fire them.
    Okay, good for you.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    if you are such a slave to your screeching customers your business will likely not survive in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    if you are such a slave to your screeching customers your business will likely not survive in the long run.
    Your business will go belly up much faster if you employ rude and unqualified support staff.

The people who defend karens are worse than the karen act itself.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Are such customers so prevalent?
    As someone who rarely buys online and does indeed go to actual store to shop I've have yet to see such problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    The people who defend karens are worse than the karen act itself.
    Neither of the options presented are defending Karen... or Steve... make Steve, the male Karen... make it happen people...

Edit: Oohhh!!! What would a Karen drag queen name be? LaWhora Complan’slot?
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-03-21 at 01:39 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Neither of the options presented are defending Karen... or Steve... make Steve, the male Karen... make it happen people...
    If a manager is punishing you for not wanting to deal with the harrassment of a karen, then that manager is defending that behaviour.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz