Poll: Would you fire an employee for calling a customer a Karen?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    How about depends on the situation but most likely no?

If it was directly to their face, and I owned the business? Yes. If the customer is being that rude to them that the employee is about to start throwing insults, I would have trained that employee to get me involved well before then. If it was among other employees, out of ear shot of other customers and the customer had already gone then I wouldn’t care.

It's never good to escalate a situation but we are all humans and can't always think rationally so I would only fire them depending on how big of a dick the customer was being and if they are calling a bunch of customers a Karen.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    if you are such a slave to your screeching customers your business will likely not survive in the long run.
    How long will your business last with no customers? I would rather fire a disrespectful employee and hire someone polite and diplomatic than to lose a customer over something stupid.
    Last edited by the game; 2021-03-21 at 11:16 PM.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    If a manager is punishing you for not wanting to deal with the harrassment of a karen, then that manager is defending that behaviour.
    thats because "customer is always right"

that business 101.

dont like it ? find work somewhere else.

any manager that doesnt do that is actively hurting brand for which he is working for and should be also fired asap - 1 negative comment is worth 100 positive ones because new customers are usually only looking at negative comments first they are not interested in positives only with possible problems with brand/product.

hurt ego of comployee is meangngless - he is there to work not to behave like offended primadonna.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I wasn't talking about abiding by the laws. I was talking about regimenting your life around the tolling of a bell and strict scheduling down to the minute where you will be punished for any tardiness and such. Because of arbitrary and largely senseless rules dictated by someone you have no capacity to influence.

But kudos on calling me a "commie", which demonstrates you don't have a justifiable ground to base any argument upon.

Particularly as, y'know, communism is a Western idea.
    but you dont have to

the beauty of western civilization is that if you dont like your current job you can always look for new one

or start your own business and be your own boss .
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2021-03-22 at 09:54 AM.

Are we talking to her face? Absolutely, there is no excuse to be rude to a customer.

Behind her back? Absolutely not. What people need to understand is that customer service is CONSTANTLY bitching about customers behind their backs. It's one way to stay sane in the business, to vent that frustration. Cos customer service reps deal with a lot of shit during the day. Like, A LOT. And they just take it, they're not allowed to be rude back, or they get fired. And still they sound like you're literally shitting rainbow when you call them after someone else threatened to come over and punch their faces in the previous call.

That only works if you let them vent. Oh, and public service announcement, be nice to the next representative you talk to. They really appreciate the small human moments of mutual respect and kindness. Listen to their voice and that may be the first time you don't hear a pre-scripted corporate robot but a real human on the other side being grateful for not being yelled at.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post

that business 101.

any manager that doesnt do that is actively hurting brand for which he is working for and should be also fired asap - 1 negative comment is worth 100 positive ones because new customers are usually only looking at negative comments first they are not interested in positives only with possible problems with brand/product.

hurt ego of comployee is meangngless - he is there to work not to behave like offended primadonna.
    Your country have some fffed up work environments.

Glad i don't live there and have to put up with such bosses.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

that business 101.

I don't think you've ever worked in customer relations at all. The customer is not always right. Some of them are incompetent, dishonest bastards that will take you to the cleaners if you give them an opening. The real trick is to work with the customer and find a solution to the problem, not make him go away with empty promises. You can't always give the customer what he wants, that's not how businesses operate at a profit. And when the customer's just plain wrong, you can't just throw money at the problem and make him go away.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Your country have some fffed up work environments.

Glad i don't live there and have to put up with such bosses.
    what doest country have to do with how busiensses operate ?

you can fire everyone you ant regardless of country - you just need to know how to do it to not face repercussions because of idiotic labour law.

luckily anyone smart enough knows how to ignroe them .

my favourite is "you are fired because we are either closing this job position" or " you are fired because we have less orders this season " (ofc you never put it in writing - i will explain below how you do it in writing) , what is imortant is noting down any mistake employees did - this opens up possibility of easiest of all : "you are fired because you make to many mistake in work and down show improvement " - noticing those mistakes and reporting them is ofc job of their supperiors

try to fight it in court - good luck with it.

ofc you never put real reason like "being rude to customer" when firing people.

what is also eaiest trick in book is suggesting them to sign somethign a la " temrination of employement contract by mutual consent " under pretense of "sign this so your next emploeyr doesnt notice you were disciplinary fired"/ "this way you will be able to find new job easier and faster " . once he signed it - and most of people sign it imidiately due to amount of stress they are experiencing when getting fired there is literaly nothing they can do about it in future.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2021-03-22 at 11:54 AM.

what doest country have to do with how busiensses operate ?

you can fire everyone you ant regardless of country - you just need to know how to do it to not face repercussions because of idiotic labour law.

luckily anyone smart enough knows how to ignroe them .

my favourite is "you are fired because we are either closing this job position" or " you are fired because we have less orders this season " , what is imortant is noting down any mistake employees did - this opens up possibility of easiest of all : "you are fired because you make to many mistake in work and down show improvement " - noticing those mistakes and reporting them is ofc job of their supperiors

try to fight it in court - good luck with it.

ofc you never put real reason like "being rude to customer" when firing people.
    Because noone outside of "those" countries would have this kind of mindset.

Because noone outside of "those" countries would have this kind of mindset.
    what kind of mindset ? managing business is not playing with lego . you have to make difficult decisions on daily basis. its literaly eat or be eaten . there is no place for sentiments.

either you learn how to do it or you are crap as manager.

ofc when speaking publicly you use all those nonsensical PR formulas about CSR and other nonsenses like "we treat our employees as family "/ "we are one happy family here" etc etc

look at blizzard - they had no problem paying bobby 200 mln bonus while sacking 200 employees. even though of Blizzard is publicly speaking nonsense about being CSR company

i guess blizzard is company of some 3rd world country too ... oh wait

"if you have weak stomach dont interest yourself how sausage is made"

i

what kind of mindset ? managing business is not playing with lego . you have to make difficult decisions on daily basis. its literaly eat or be eaten . there is no place for sentiments.

either you learn how to do it or you are crap as manager.

ofc when speaking publicly you use all those nonsensical PR formulas about CSR and other nonsenses like "we treat our employees as family "/ "we are one happy family here" etc etc

look at blizzard - they had no problem paying bobby 200 mln bonus while sacking 200 employees. even though of Blizzard is publicly speaking nonsense about being CSR company

i guess blizzard is company of some 3rd world country too ... oh wait

"if you have weak stomach dont interest yourself how sausage is made"

i
    You are a very messed up individual.

A emplyee should never have to ”fear” the boss.

Work should be a safe place and you should not have to walk around on egg shells just to avoid the managers wrath.

And yes, i do infact consider the USA to be one of ”Those” countires.

I hear so many horror stories about working in that country that it makes me shiver.

You are a very messed up individual.

A emplyee should never have to ”fear” the boss.

Work should be a safe place and you should not have to walk around on egg shells just to avoid the managers wrath.

And yes, i do infact consider the USA to be one of ”Those” countires.

I hear so many horror stories about working in that country that it makes me shiver.
    where do i write anything about "fearing boss " ?

all he has to do is work properly according to what his job in company is . nothing more nothing less.

come on time - work - leave home on time. when we have overhours its always voluntary .

problem with employees nowadays is most of them are lazy and spoiled - and just working properly is too much for them .

if someone claims to have skills X in job interview and then we see he doesnt is it wrong according to you to fire such person ?

or if someone is hired to do job X and fails at it is it bad to fire such person ?

this is work not a kindergarten /daycare .
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2021-03-22 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickNasty View Post
    If it was directly to their face, and I owned the business? Yes. If the customer is being that rude to them that the employee is about to start throwing insults, I would have trained that employee to get me involved well before then. If it was among other employees, out of ear shot of other customers and the customer had already gone then I wouldn’t care.
    "trained" like people are fuckign dogs...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Are we talking to her face? Absolutely, there is no excuse to be rude to a customer.
    since when the fuck are customers infallible?

Honestly sometimes when I am shopping or calling some place and have ran into issues it sometimes surprises me how people are so thankful that I'm not upset and understand the issues and I'm just left thinking.... people really bent out of shape over basic shit like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    since when the fuck are customers infallible?

Honestly sometimes when I am shopping or calling some place and have ran into issues it sometimes surprises me how people are so thankful that I'm not upset and understand the issues and I'm just left thinking.... people really bent out of shape over basic shit like this?
    A professional business won't be rude to their customer just because they are wrong. If you are rude to someone because he made an error in thinking, you are the problem, not he. And yes, I would absolutely not hire you if you put this on the questionaire of a customer service position. God no, I'd send you a letter suggesting MMA as an alternate career path instead, because of your anger issues.

A professional business won't be rude to their customer just because they are wrong. If you are rude to someone because he made an error in thinking, you are the problem, not he. And yes, I would absolutely not hire you if you put this on the questionaire of a customer service position. God no, I'd send you a letter suggesting MMA as an alternate career path instead, because of your anger issues.
    Anger issues?

Refusing to be talk to like shit means anger issues?

Oh god mate... never go to the diamond district lol. Those people treat their customers realistically... do not waste their time, do not be rude to them. You know why? Because they will ignore you or straight up kick you out or say "come back when you're buying"

A professional business expects their peons to behave in a preprogrammed manner... and to just "take shit"

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Neither of the options presented are defending Karen... or Steve... make Steve, the male Karen... make it happen people...
    The male Karen has already been named...and it is not Steve.

It's Terry

https://www.fatherly.com/news/data-p...aren-is-terry/

The reasoning behind this? Well, after looking at decades of data, the Reddit user found that men named Terry tend to be the same age as women named Karen — and that the peaks of the use of both names for new babies peaked at the same time, which suggests that many Karen’s likely have peers among them who are Terry’s who thought that call to the cops because someone was drawing in chalk on the sidewalk was totally necessary, or whatever reason Karen’s call the police.
    there's a graph and everything. You can't argue with graphs.

“The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Anger issues?

Refusing to be talk to like shit means anger issues?

Oh god mate... never go to the diamond district lol. Those people treat their customers realistically... do not waste their time, do not be rude to them. You know why? Because they will ignore you or straight up kick you out or say "come back when you're buying"

A professional business expects their peons to behave in a preprogrammed manner... and to just "take shit"
    You seem to be miscomprehending what I said. I said if you're bitching to the customer in her face, you ought to be fired. You literally just said what I said. And now you're arguing against some fantasy argument in your head that I never made.

You seem to be miscomprehending what I said. I said if you're bitching to the customer in her face, you ought to be fired. You literally just said what I said. And now you're arguing against some fantasy argument in your head that I never made.
    What is "bitching" to a customers face?

For instance. I've literally seen a jeweller say.

"Don't waste my time, come back when you're actually buying" because their customer was insufferable to the point it was even annoying me.

What is "bitching" to a customers face?

For instance. I've literally seen a jeweller say.

"Don't waste my time, come back when you're actually buying" because their customer was insufferable to the point it was even annoying me.
    The OP apparently defines what I termed "bitching" as calling them a Karen. Now, it's not the worst thing to say, but knowing the meaning and undertone of it, that is not something a business can tolerate in their staff.

Your example is a bit borderline, but depending on how rude the customer was (or the context), I think it'd be fine. The example isn't insulting, it's just a gruff response to someone costing the business money. And that's what all of this is about, maximising profit. Customer satisfaction is a thing not because businesses are good entities, it's because someone showed them that customer loyalty is profitable.