Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Threads of Fate post 50?

Hi, I have been debating whether I want to level my mage or priest to 60 - I currently have none - both are lvl 51 atm. If I complete the main campaign on, lets say the mage, will I be able to pick threads of fate on my priest even tho it has already done a few SL quests?
    The weak fear the shadows... fear controls them!

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you can even pick it on level 59 and ive read that is the way to go.
    I leveled trough ToF and it is horrible, beter go 50-59 storywise.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can pick threads of fate anytime after completing your first 60.

As for @Azerox comment. I disagree entirely. My last 4 characters have been through TOF and i average about 2-3 hours faster then story, based on kill speed of characters.

What you do with TOF.
    Accept the quest to pick a zone in Oribos. Go to that zone and pick up the quests for that zone's dungeon. Dont run it yet.
    Hearth back to Oribos
    Accept the quest to pick a zone again and go to that zone and do the quests for that zone's dungeon quest.
    Repeat until you have all 4 zones dungeon quests in log.

Now pick one zone, start filling the bar. Do NOT do bonus objectives. Do side quests and world quests. Pet Battle quests are great if you cheese them with level 1 pets (the quest will scale to your level, while still giving you full xp).

Once you get the bar to 80%, queue for all dungeons random. If you get the dungeon for the zone you are in, great, finish it. If you get the wrong dungeon, you can leave or finish the dungeon, your call. You want to random queue it because you get bonus xp for the random. Finishing the dungeon of the zone will put you at or around 100% completion.

Doing Threads of Fate will get you at least 4 renown (typically 8 renown) by the time you hit 60 and allow you to immediately begin using the covenant abilities. It helps a lot because Bastion is a ton of wait and talk quests.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post

As for @Azerox comment. I disagree entirely. My last 4 characters have been through TOF and i average about 2-3 hours faster then story, based on kill speed of characters.

What you do with TOF.
    Accept the quest to pick a zone in Oribos. Go to that zone and pick up the quests for that zone's dungeon. Dont run it yet.
    Hearth back to Oribos
    Accept the quest to pick a zone again and go to that zone and do the quests for that zone's dungeon quest.

Now pick one zone, start filling the bar. Do NOT do bonus objectives. Do side quests and world quests. Pet Battle quests are great if you cheese them with level 1 pets (the quest will scale to your level, while still giving you full xp).

Once you get the bar to 80%, queue for all dungeons random. If you get the dungeon for the zone you are in, great, finish it. If you get the wrong dungeon, you can leave or finish the dungeon, your call. You want to random queue it because you get bonus xp for the random. Finishing the dungeon of the zone will put you at or around 100% completion.

Doing Threads of Fate will get you at least 4 renown (typically 8 renown) by the time you hit 60 and allow you to immediately begin using the covenant abilities. It helps a lot because Bastion is a ton of wait and talk quests.
    Yeah, so basically it's much simpler to just level through the campaign. You boot up the auto pilot addon and just follow it for a couple hours mindlessly, without having to rely on grinding dungeons and bonus objectives.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    Yeah, so basically it's much simpler to just level through the campaign. You boot up the auto pilot addon and just follow it for a couple hours mindlessly, without having to rely on grinding dungeons and bonus objectives.
    Maybe be simpler, but its not faster, and TOF gets you up to 8 renown at the start to give your alts a boost. You also skip all the grindy MAW RP stuff and all the quests that Azerothian Autopilot literally says "AFK 48 seconds". Also nothing i said is complicated, it boils down to, get dungeon quests, fill bar, run dungeon, repeat. If that is complicated for a player, then yeah get carried by AAP.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

I mostly like leveling up questing, but ToF has been a nice change of pace; you get the leg on renown, a change of scenery when you want that helps you from getting tired of the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say best way to go for alts is do Story 50-60 just for speed, then hit ToF once you ding 60 so you don't have to finish Revendreth before picking a Covenant.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Maybe be simpler, but its not faster, and TOF gets you up to 8 renown at the start to give your alts a boost. You also skip all the grindy MAW RP stuff and all the quests that Azerothian Autopilot literally says "AFK 48 seconds". Also nothing i said is complicated, it boils down to, get dungeon quests, fill bar, run dungeon, repeat. If that is complicated for a player, then yeah get carried by AAP.
    You're one person saying ToF is faster while everyone else says its the slower option.

I do not find ToF faster at all. It isn't a issue of it being complicated. Both are mindless. After leveling 7 characters to 60, 3 on ToF and 4 on story, I find story faster. I tend to swap over to ToF with less than a bar left, and ding 60 on the re-intro quest in Oribos so I can skip the rest of the Rev campaign post 60. To each their own though.

If something is faster but requires insane optimization and usage of annoying strategies to fully take advantge of, it's basically not faster.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

If something is faster but requires insane optimization and usage of annoying strategies to fully take advantge of, it's basically not faster.
    I find this a bit funny considering some older game speed running methods.

The most simplest way to view it to me is like this.

Would you rather dungeon spam or quest?

Dungeon spam? Pick Threads of Fate. Quest? Don't pick threads of fate until you're near the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I'd say best way to go for alts is do Story 50-60 just for speed, then hit ToF once you ding 60 so you don't have to finish Revendreth before picking a Covenant.
    You can't start ToF once you hit 60 last I checked, so make sure you're at 59 and close to leveling then pick up ToF (last I checked was close to 3 months ago, so my information might be outdated).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

What you do with TOF.
    Hearth back to Oribos

Ignore this guy - its terrible advice. You will not level '2-3 hours faster thru TOF than story'.

If you want to level fastest, you should only choose TOF if you plan to dungeon queue spam. That means either having a premade group of friends etc doing it with you with instaqueues, or you're a tank/heal spec and can use dungeonfinder to get near instant queues.

Otherwise it'll be faster for you to level normally.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    You can't start ToF once you hit 60 last I checked, so make sure you're at 59 and close to leveling then pick up ToF (last I checked was close to 3 months ago, so my information might be outdated).
    they changed this a while ago, you can switch to ToF after hitting 60 to skip the rest of Revendreth

I just don't get why people think ToF is bad.. just do the zone side quests and a few dailies each day and you reach max level without a hitch. Dungeon queue spam is horrible, I agree, but unless you miss a couple of chromosomes it isn't required at all. Especially if you want to level a couple characters in parallel, just do WQs with them each day to fill the bar and then switch to the next one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    I mostly like leveling up questing, but ToF has been a nice change of pace; you get the leg on renown, a change of scenery when you want that helps you from getting tired of the story.
    Agreed. The story became kinda tedious. I tried to do it on another character but I gave up after 2 levels and just went back to ToF because of all the RP downtime. Especially the renown part helps alot to get characters started at max level, because the renown catchup is way to random/grindy and getting 4 renown can take you 4 or 12 dungeons later.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I find this a bit funny considering some older game speed running methods.

The most simplest way to view it to me is like this.

Would you rather dungeon spam or quest?

Dungeon spam? Pick Threads of Fate. Quest? Don't pick threads of fate until you're near the end.
    Case in point, an average player does not use speedrunning techniques to get through games.

Yeah, the dungeons vs. quests is a good way to view it.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    This was changed

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I just don't get why people think ToF is bad.. just do the zone side quests and a few dailies each day and you reach max level without a hitch. Dungeon queue spam is horrible, I agree, but unless you miss a couple of chromosomes it isn't required at all. Especially if you want to level a couple characters in parallel, just do WQs with them each day to fill the bar and then switch to the next one.
    I will speak for myself, but I think many share my view: when I level a character I like to almost binge it, or at least be in power at all times as to how quickly I go to the new cap. Doing a couple WQs per day and zone objectives is not only inefficient, couldn't care less about that, but more importantly it's a heavily time-gated / limited way of doing it. After the WQs are done you are only left with dungeon grind until new WQs pop up. This is why I hate alt leveling in FF14 because it's basically that system exactly. I'd rather do the same campaign quests on every new alt, but have it be consistent and unlimited until I get to the cap.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2021-03-17 at 09:29 AM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

15+ Year Old Account
    I've levelled both ways, and my opinion is it's personal preference. Sure, one way might be a bit faster than the other, not going to comment on that. For me, ToF was more enjoyable than levelling through the normal way of the campaign. As others have said too, it gives you a bit of a head start on renown too. When doing ToF, I basically just did side quests and sometimes queued for dungeons when I felt like it. It felt to me like I had more freedom than doing the campaign story line, which after doing multiple times I found to be tedious.

Just my 2 cents.

15+ Year Old Account
    TOF can be picked up at any point prior to hitting 60 and allows you to immediately start the covenant campaign the moment you hit 60 unlike the regular way which requires you to progress through the entire regular SL story mode and once you hit 60 start the covenant campaign but realistically you won't hit finish the regular story mode prior to hitting 60. If you hit 60 and have not selected TOF you must complete the entire regular story campaign in order to start covenant stuff. That means if you hit 60 in Revendreth (or Maldraxox if that's the second to last zone which I can't remember which of the two is the last one tbh) you still have an entire zone to finish of story just to unlock covenant stuff.

My suggestion is do TOF, do all bonus objectives in each of the 4 zones because if you don't do them while leveling they will still be there at 60 and can block some world quests that are literally those same objectives for the WQ, pick up the dungeon quests in Baston & Ardenwald, go to Plague Watch in Mald and do the short chain (A Plague in Our House) to unlock the dungeon quest there, then head to Revendreth and pick up the quest An Abuse of Power at Halls of Atonement (flight path not dungeon) to unlock the dungeon quest for HOA + start Avowed Rep too. Run those and then if you haven't hit 60 you aren't doing it right. That's all I do to hit 60 on stuff.

How can you get up to 8 renown by doing TOF? I've done it 6 times so far and each time I only was renown 5 once I hit 60 after getting 1 renown for each of the 4 zones.

I will speak for myself, but I think many share my view: when I level a character I like to almost binge it, or at least be in power at all times as to how quickly I go to the new cap. Doing a couple WQs per day and zone objectives is not only inefficient, couldn't care less about that, but more importantly it's a heavily time-gated / limited way of doing it. After the WQs are done you are only left with dungeon grind until new WQs pop up. This is why I hate alt leveling in FF14 because it's basically that system exactly. I'd rather do the same campaign quests on every new alt, but have it be consistent and unlimited until I get to the cap.
    The thing is, the normal side quests and around 1.5 batches of WQs (depending on how much you have access to on that day) per zone are usually enough. I always end up overshooting in the last zone as well to fill the last bar despite hitting 60 already (I'd rather take 30 minutes more and have a guaranteed renown level). It's not like most people would be able to binge the whole story in a single day either when leveling. On my last one I ran only 1 dungeon as well. But I guess to each their own, to me it's the same mindless questing, just without the constant back and forth into the maw and waiting for RP-walking/talking.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    TOF can be picked up at any point prior to hitting 60 and allows you to immediately start the covenant campaign the moment you hit 60 unlike the regular way which requires you to progress through the entire regular SL story mode and once you hit 60 start the covenant campaign but realistically you won't hit finish the regular story mode prior to hitting 60.
    You can level through campaign to 60 and turn TOF on after hitting 60 to skip the things you normally have to do
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection