Resto Druid and Regrowth

Hello dear Druid Healers.

Mid BfA i was playing my Resto Druid just in M+ (M+10/M+11) and i loved it.
    I hoted ppl and kept them up, did deale some dmg here and there. Casted Wild Growth to counter incoming group dmg.
    And if it was necessary i castet regrowth if some one droped heavy.

Sure, i had to use CDs on certain trash or Boss fight but commonly i did not "spam" Regrowth.

My Druid now, got an ilvl of 191 and i do some M+5 /+6, for now.
    But to me it seems my Hots are not healing very much. Jeah, Rejuvenation adds up over a dungeon.
    The majority of the healing comes from Regrowth. I got the feeling my hots are just here to buff my Regrwoth with our Mastery.

I can try to minimice the usage of Regrwoth but then my dungeon group is alway at 50% or less HP, wich gets them killed often out of the blue.
    And so i have to keep hots up and, outside of Flourish or Convoke, need to spam Regrowth.

And i dont like to spam the fast and unefficent Heal spells, no matter the Class i heal with.

How is it for you?
    Do i play wrong, or is it the same for you?
    Do you like that kind of gameplay?

I wopuld prefere a playtyle where my Hots are actually more meaningful outside of being a stack for our Mastery.

It was my first week on 60, and i crafted " The Dark Titans Lesson" Leggy and play with:

- Cenarion Ward
    - SotF
    - Spring Blossoms
    - Photosynthesis ( here and there i tryed Flourish wich feels good if u got many HotS to enhacne with)

In Bfa you went with Cultivation a lot of the times for the additional HotS effect, but with SL that seems not to be the case anymore.

I would love to hear your oppinion on my topic and your tought on it.

Thank u very much!
    Last edited by Mordog; 2021-03-16 at 09:58 PM.

From what I gather if you want to use Cenarion Ward then you should be doing it with Verdant Infusion legendary which greatly buffs the ward with swiftmend. But even then I think such build is good only if you have a decent group which is good at avoiding damage since you don't have much tools to deal with random spikes on the group.

I would suggest going with abundance to boost your regrowth from rejuv. That let's do more sustainable spot healing.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

i play my druid with mother tree, 196 ilvl, doing +5 - +7 keys and play without Cenarion Ward.

i just put lifebloom on myself (all hots heal 20% faster talent) when the whole grp or at least ~3 ppl get dmg, do Wild Growth, Eflorscence and a few Rejuvs and grp is stabilized. when only tank getting dmg, i lifebloom him + rejuv him, + ticking regrowth him (and iron bark him, at trash start when dmg is max). if someone drops very fast i use nature swiftness+instant regrowth and press Swiftmend on him (tops i.e. tank from 30% to 100% life in 2s). from time to time i do a regrowth just to have everybody at 100% life (but not cause of trouble). mana was never an issue, not even in the slightest. when whole grp drops and i am in panic, i either use Convoke (i am Night Fae) or Tranq.

with that playstyle i have ZERO pronblems and feel heavy comfortable this xpac. but idk what happens when you have a group wirh ZERO interrupt/kick and completely no glue of any mechanic. most of my pug grps are ok‘ish (middle of the pack i would say), but even with the really bad ones i just have 1-3 deaths/CR max.

maybe it helps...
    Last edited by Niwes; 2021-03-17 at 12:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, in BfA, Rejuve healed for quite a bit more relative to Regrowth then it does now - Rejuve actually heals for less then a single cast of Regrowth now, whereas previously you needed to have at least 2x Regrowth traits for it to heal the same as Rejuve.

Whats more, Regrowth isn't that much more mana inefficient in terms of per cast, and in terms of healing per mana it's extremely close to Rejuve - So druids no longer have an "Efficient/Inefficient heal". You'll still want to roll rejuves on ppl taking damage, but Regrowth is going to be the bulk of your healing in 5 mans.

In larger raid groups it goes back to Rejuve since mana is an issue in raids.

Cenarion Ward is pretty meh in dungeons atm - Good for raids with their predictable tank damage spikes on rotation, but in dungeons in which the tanks can often be just a single global away from death? Not so great. I personally use abundance since it helps to push Regrowth up to near-guaranteed crits - And you need every last crit you can get when you are spamming regrowth on the tank and the tank's HP is just barely budging up. Cenarion Ward will eventually overtake Abundance mind you - but that's likely not till 8.3 once you get enough mastery/haste that Ceneraion Ward can almost fully heal the tank on it's own.

With that being said, which legendary you are using changes which talent is best - Flourish+Cenarion Ward+ Verdant Infusion basically gives you over 40 seconds straight of Cenarion ward. Comboing Abundance with Germination as well as Vision of Unending Growth allows you to easily have 10x rejuves up on your entire party, which makes Regrowth always crit and basically free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Hi, friend. Just here to pass on my build I prefer, I run 14/15s pretty easily at this point. I run Photosynthesis with The Dark Titan's Lesson and find it, personally, to be a rewarding way to use our hots as it allows photo to benefit in both ways at the same time. I also want to add that when you're considering M+ content, a lot of the battle is knowing where the big damage is going to come and preparing to combat that with whichever CD you have available/prefer for the situation. Rejuv may not feel that it does a lot of healing when you need it to because the times you need it to is when you need a bigger boost than hots can essentially give us. Planning on havingconvoke/tree/innervate spam on a steady rotation through difficult portions makes a huge difference. Spamming a heal like regrowth doesn't feel amazing but it's still an important part of any healer's kit and is bound to happen pretty typically in M+ content.

I hate Regrowth for Resto. When you need to use it, it's an emergency. In sustained emergencies though you'll never get full value out of it cuz you'll be clipping Regrowth with other Regrowths. If the HoT was shorter so we could Pandemic that more, then it could still benefit from HoT power contributions.

When it comes to Regrowth, I find myself missing Healing Touch. I kind of wish Regrowth was the slow efficient one we didn't cast as often and HT was back as the fast nuke heal. I also miss the machine gun HTs with HoTs style. That was nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    I hate Regrowth for Resto. When you need to use it, it's an emergency. In sustained emergencies though you'll never get full value out of it cuz you'll be clipping Regrowth with other Regrowths. If the HoT was shorter so we could Pandemic that more, then it could still benefit from HoT power contributions.

When it comes to Regrowth, I find myself missing Healing Touch. I kind of wish Regrowth was the slow efficient one we didn't cast as often and HT was back as the fast nuke heal. I also miss the machine gun HTs with HoTs style. That was nice.
    Perhaps you should try Nourish then? Nourish is incredibly efficient, and once we get high amounts of mastery might even be the go-to talent. (Also, Healing Touch was never, EVER a fast nuke heal, it's always been the "Slow but mana efficient heal")

As for full value, keep in mind that the HoT portion itself gives Regrowth a greatly increased crit chance, which in turns averages it out to make it more mana efficient per heal then Rejuve.

You may not like it, but Blizzard did basically combine both our fast AND efficient heal into Regrowth this expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I was thinking about Nourish, but I cannot see it being very useful in dungeons for group healing. I assume it's not very useful if the target doesnt have hots. It's fine for the tank, but not relly for random spike damage on the group, and it's hard to maintain hots on all of them. Also, it has longer cast, which makes it even harder to use as emergency heal. And regrowth leaves a hot, which you can swiftmend
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I was thinking about Nourish, but I cannot see it being very useful in dungeons for group healing. I assume it's not very useful if the target doesnt have hots. It's fine for the tank, but not relly for random spike damage on the group, and it's hard to maintain hots on all of them. Also, it has longer cast, which makes it even harder to use as emergency heal. And regrowth leaves a hot, which you can swiftmend
    mastery is really low from covenant/pvp gear. at 197 my druid alt has like 8% with 21% versatility. Oops?

Anyways, at that low it takes like 3 hots for nourish to beat Regrowth's crit. That combined with nourish not being able to function without regrowth anyways while also not benefiting from clearcasting, having a slower cast and higher mana cost... think I agree with it not being very useful ;P

Anyways back in vanilla (I dont know about classic) regrowth was used for the extra 21 second hot. Healing touch was just ranked down (to 5) for a fast cast.

It was like 5 7 10? Been a while

Unfortunately Resto druids just aren't great at single target spot healing, which makes a lot of mythic plus difficult to get through! Even as you get more gear you'll find yourself struggling to top people that require spot healing. I'm currently pushing some high keys and just wanted to share some observations.

Part of the problem is when running lower keys, people tend to take more avoidable damage from avoidable abilities or missed interrupts. Once you get to higher keys this tends to reduce and you'll get more familiar with the expected damage patterns in each dungeon.

Making good use of Soul of the Forest and Natures Swiftness is essential. The empowered Regrowth from SotF is strong, and with NS it's close to a LoH each minute. The only downside is it requires a hot to consume, and an additional global for the swiftmend.

If it's healing output you're struggling with, I strongly recommend taking Verdant Infusion and Flourish, Swiftmend extending your hots (especially Cenarion Ward) makes better use of your mastery, and combining all hots on a target with Flourish will outheal most damage that isn't a one shot. The empowered Wild Growth with Flourish is also fantastic for group healing, especially if you have blanketed rejuvinations beforehand.

My druid is my most geared character at 225 ilvl, but in terms of single target healing Regrowth crits for 8.8k (with 3 stacks of mastery) which is trash. This is comparing to my less geared alts critting for 15k(HPala WoG), 13k(RSham Healing Surge) 14k(Disc priest Shadow Mend). Noting other classes also don't have the pre-requisite of having HoTs on the target to buff that single target heal. Resto druids just aren't great at spot healing!

That being said, Resto druids pure healing output is good, just not great while health pools are so low and damage patterns are so spikey!

All of you are missing the bigger picture. At the end of BFA, gear and stats were grossly out of proportion as compared to the beginning of Shadowlands. If you were a fully geared and corrupted resto druid, you could easily reach 50% haste/30% mastery or a 30-40% haste/50% versatility. There were also several more hots in the normal further inflating mastery healing.

In current gear levels, you're going to struggle to reach 20% haste, 10% mastery and 15-20% vers. This is an absolutely massive change to the amount of healing that our spells will do. This is further exacerbated by the meta healing setup including only a few hots as compared to easily having nine or ten hots on a single target at once. Most druids can get four or five hots on one target while maintaining three or four outside of tranquility on the rest of a 5-man group. So instead of the emergency heal being bolstered by ~eight stacks of 30% mastery (240%) it is now bolstered by four stacks of 10% mastery (40%).

That is the nature of beginning of an expansion compared to an extremely overpowered end of expansion.