Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    So why not offer a generic gift card? Why Blizzard only products? It holds zero value to Blizzard, and every single member of the team that has been let go know that, and Blizzard are well aware they know it.

"Something is better than nothing" - Not if the "something" is a kick in the balls.
    "generic gift card" generic gift card for what?
    They can assume since the people worked on the Esports there, they play blizzard games, so that is the most likely place they would be able to spend the giftcard, not everyone goes to olive garden.

- - - Updated - - -

"Something is better than nothing" - Not if the "something" is a kick in the balls.
    since when is 200$ "a kick in the balls"
    i would gladly accept your kick in the balls if its giving me 200$ for free.
    go ahead "kick me in the balls"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

"hey due to not being able to do Esports stuff because the plague is being spread have your promised stuff plus a gift card...which can be sold to others btw"

that aint a face slap that is a PR stunt

"something aint better than nothing when its a pile of shit"

i mean it is when its a pile of shit worth $200

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Didn't they fire like 800 people some time ago? Feel 50 is not that much when comparing.
    they fired only 137, the 800 was mostly activison blizzards other companies.
    although back in 2012 they did fire an ACTUAL 800 employees at blizzard. nobody made a fuss then.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Although not purely about wow, clearly the "e-sport" division of Blizzard includes both the Arena Comp and M+ comps, so I think this is the right place for this.

Does anyone else feel like the $200 gift card is a HUGE slap in the face? I wont comment on the severance package itself, as that is a whole other can of worms, but the gift card in particular seems like a massive middle finger from Blizzard.

"Yeah, this isn't working out, we are letting you go. HOWEVER, we are giving you a $200 gift card...............which can only be spent on OUR products.....so.....if we could just have that $200 back, that would be great."

How would you feel if your position was made redundant, and the company who just let you go offered you a gift card that was only redeemable with said company?

To me, it screams "we are horribly out of touch"
    A slap in the face as opposed to what? Being let go and getting nothing? Or should they be handing out fucking GME shares or something?

I will never understand this shit. People get fired from jobs or restructured out or whatever else every single day. Blizzard isn't some mystical anomaly just because they make video games. A $200 gift card is far more than most people will get when they're let go.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    they fired only 137, the 800 was mostly activison blizzards other companies.
    although back in 2012 they did fire an ACTUAL 800 employees at blizzard. nobody made a fuss then.
    Alright good to know.
    Do you hear the voices too?

I mean... no? It's a bonus to the main package. If they said, here, take 200bnet and f-off, that would be a slap in the face.
    It's like buying a brand new car and getting full tank of fuel. Is that slap in the face? Or getting a candy at the cashier in supermarket. I get, this is lay-off, but the main package is not that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    I don't know... to me it doesn't sound that bad at all.
    As a company that tends to market itself as "we employ gamers", has actually been made by gamers and even has "please list titles made by us" on their job offers it really isn't that out of touch.
    Originally I also thought that it was strange decision at best, but what you wrote actually makes a lot of sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Are you surprised by the actions of a company that gives honor points which can be traded for goodies as compensation to their employees?

https://massivelyop.com/2020/08/06/b...ard-no-cookie/
    Not sure how it works in Blizzard, but Red Hat has something that, judging by the email, sounds very similar. Everyone gets an allotment of points each year and they can then send those points to other people when they do something the donor appreciates (beyond normal work duties obviously). You can then spend the points you get from other people in a shop on goodies. Imho it's actually a pretty cool system.
    Last edited by h4rr0d; 2021-03-17 at 08:10 AM.

How would you feel if your position was made redundant, and the company who just let you go offered you a gift card that was only redeemable with said company?

Pretty sure you are looking at it all wrong and just trying to find something wrong with it.

Most of them knew they would likely be laid off because of the drop in E-Sports in those two areas and how they have to retool it for more digital now with COVID.

They also received a bunch of other things, but only three things were highlighted. Just because people got laid off doesn't mean they are all bitter towards Blizzard. Likely 90% of them are still fans of some products. So $200 is Blizzard essentially saying "Hey pick out $200 worth of stuff from us". Would you rather them give everyone say a plush toy and call it even?

I'd be fine with it, if it wasn't the only thing they gave. Would be bad if the whole severance package was gift cards to their own shop, but it's not. It's a little extra on top of the normal package, as a thank you for being a fan of Blizzard. Worst case scenario, you won't use it and then you can just sell it to someone who does.

So why not offer a generic gift card? Why Blizzard only products? It holds zero value to Blizzard, and every single member of the team that has been let go know that, and Blizzard are well aware they know it.

I think 200$ gift card is way more valuable than getting a kick in the balls, but each to their own.

I think how you feel about the gift card is extremely common, but being an extremely rational thinker myself I just can't feel the same way. I think you're right on that these people wouldve been happier if they weren't offered the gift card at all, even though rational person would always prefer choosing the option that has value, no matter how small it is. In a scenario like this, emotions override rational thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Although not purely about wow, clearly the "e-sport" division of Blizzard includes both the Arena Comp and M+ comps, so I think this is the right place for this.

Does anyone else feel like the $200 gift card is a HUGE slap in the face? I wont comment on the severance package itself, as that is a whole other can of worms, but the gift card in particular seems like a massive middle finger from Blizzard.

"Yeah, this isn't working out, we are letting you go. HOWEVER, we are giving you a $200 gift card...............which can only be spent on OUR products.....so.....if we could just have that $200 back, that would be great."

Well, look at it like this, they didn't have to. It is a gesture.

And just because you get fired does not mean you must have bad blood with your previous employer, and cannot accept a small gesture. At least they had a severance package, many at other companies don't.

P.s. This is not a WoW topic and should've been in General Off-Topic
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    They gave them a Blizzard Gift Card, because they are Blizzard. There is no secret evil plan there, it... was... just... a... gift.

Really, these days Blizzard could spend 5 billion to cure cancer and the community would construe that they only do that so people pay subs for longer.

Stop being bloody outraged at every friggin thing the company does.
    News article: "Blizzard donates 5 billion dollars to fight cancer, also gives a $200 Blizzard gift card to people with cancer at XYZ Hospital"

MMO Champ user: "Blizz is only doing this to get more subs. Blizz is bad!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it is better than a fruit basket I suppose.

This is absolutely the most pathetic reason to hate on Blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    As time goes a long, eventually a new thread comes along to which my response is "this is the most ridiculous complaint ever."

This is one of those threads.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    Not sure how it works in Blizzard, but Red Hat has something that, judging by the email, sounds very similar. Everyone gets an allotment of points each year and they can then send those points to other people when they do something the donor appreciates (beyond normal work duties obviously). You can then spend the points you get from other people in a shop on goodies. Imho it's actually a pretty cool system.
    Crux is that Blizzard is pretty much known to underpay a lot of staff, so the system is more intended as a bandaid rather than an actual bonus.

If it were only the gift card then I would agree but you hopped over this:

Employees will receive a three months' severance package, health benefits for the next 12 months,

I dont care if I get slapped with a spongebob meme but goddamnit!

“CONTEXT MATTERS!”

As the way you were wording it for those who haven’t read it seem like they’ve received only the 200 dollar gift voucher.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    that doesn't change my point. it be a bonus but its a rather crappy bonus. hey guys, we're firing you. since you no longer work for us, here is a gift card to get you invested into blizzard games which have clearly gotten worse over the years because of bad management and corporate practices. it's just a crappy bonus no matter how you look at it.
    You are really trying hard to spin that. You say it doesn't change your point, but only because you are closing your eyes and ears while shouting really loud, to ignore it. Your example should be "hey guys, we're firing you. since you no longer work for us, here is your 3 months salary, and a 12 months healthcare insurance. Oh, and a gift card"
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Yall need help. Would you rather they got healthcare, 3 month severance package and no gift card? Would them getting $200 less make u feel better? Wtf is wrong with u.

I find it disingenuous that you just decide to ignore the health are plan for a year +3months severance just to be outraged about the gift card.

If it was only the gift card, sure. But in current situation, hell to the fucking no it ain't.

I find it to be more of a slap in the face to not give it which just means they have to fork out their own money if they want to play future or current blizzard games.

This makes sure that blizzard won't earn money on workers that were laid off for a while.

Step back and think about what the alternative is if they didn't get it and you see that it's a good thing.
    Error 404 - Signature not found