Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does anyone enjoy Affliction in m+?

I feel blizz dropped the ball o affliction design this expac. Yes boss dmg is great, but evertything else just feels so clunky.

Aoe= 2 sec seed cast, for some reason we still need to wait for it to explode as if its 2005, no emergency way to make it instant for burst packs, and then we have to *manually apply agony to each mob*. If pack lives long its a mess, if it dies quick you're practically useless.

Single target = a powerful if clunky mess of juggling dots to buff malefic. If the mob is short lived, tough luck, no Soulburn Soulswap to instantly apply dots anymore. You reaign yourself to draining it for a shard.

Even if they buff the specc by 100%, and its op, the actual design feels so bad in comparison to Legion or MoP-WoD. About same as Battle for Azeroth...

Am the only one feeling this is too bad to be acceptable? Does anyone actually like it?

I for one don't enjoy it. But I don't enjoy SL Aff either way, because it's way too much work for relatively little payoff. Also you kinda have to be Nightfae to be of any use in M+, so that's a no from me.
    Initially I was exited about Aff, but... I don't know. Malefic Rupture is so everwhelming that everything else feels like it's just supporting MR. Not really what I want out of a DoT spec. I like MR as a concept, but it's honestly just exhausting to play, especially since I still struggle with the view distance reduction of Legion. I need that overview to juggle my DoTs. Also Darkglare and the Affliction legendaries are less than exiting imo.

So yeah. I stick with Demo for now and honestly, I am not really interested to play M+ on a WL anymore.

Playing affliction in M+ feels so so so bad. I just gave up on doing better dps and just switched to Destruction nowadays.

I actually had quite a lot of fun in M+ this season and I do like aff i M+ more than in raid, because I can take absolute curruption and feel much more comfortable. Raid setup with siphon life is way too clunky and punishing if you mess up. And, well, I do mess up a bit too often))) But you need keys to be quite high to have time to ramp up. For low keys destro is better.

Overall I think issues with base spec design started in Legion with its "builder-spender" obsession, but it was hard-carried by fantastic borrowed power (artefact traits, legos, set bonuses all were amazing) and possibility to take several multi-dot talents at once. With borrowed power gone and talents adjusted, aff became an absolute mess gameplay-wise and pretty much still is, although SL version is much better than BFA one.

I really wish they could go back to the roots and make it a true multi-dot spec again, but for some reason I feel that it won't happen. Even shadow is more of a single-target spec now.

Yeah but the dead mobs exploded at least in Legion which gave us a lot of AOE

If Blizz doesnt buff Affli AOE and preferably Destro's Aoe asap, they wont find anyone who plays warlock very soon... We are the most useless class in M+s

I realized how bad the class is when our guildie warlocks can’t help on attendant adds on m council.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycras View Post
    If Blizz doesnt buff Affli AOE and preferably Destro's Aoe asap, they wont find anyone who plays warlock very soon... We are the most useless class in M+s
    In order to buff their AOE they have to nerf their ST, are you ok with that or will you cry after? Warlock is already the 2nd top spec in the current raid tier as Affliction in Mythic and the top spec in Heroic. Warlock only keeps up with Balance because their ST nuke also is an AOE, by buffing their AOE they would just be stupid OP. The spec is fine, you just want to press one button and win cause you're a child.
    But they'd never do that cause thankfully blizzard designs the classes and not MMoC posters.

Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    In order to buff their AOE they have to nerf their ST, are you ok with that or will you cry after? Warlock is already the 2nd top spec in the current raid tier as Affliction in Mythic and the top spec in Heroic. Warlock only keeps up with Balance because their ST nuke also is an AOE, by buffing their AOE they would just be stupid OP. The spec is fine, you just want to press one button and win cause you're a child.
    But they'd never do that cause thankfully blizzard designs the classes and not MMoC posters.
    So basically you don't actually play a lock, you just look at parses and make judgements from that.

MR being for both single target and AoE isn't the only reason why we keep up with Balance when basically half the raid is single target boss damage, but okay. And on top of that, the only reason MR hits hard in the first place is a soulbind conduit that causes the target of Unstable Affliction to take extra damage from MR. Which you can only have one UA up at a time.

To answer the OP question though, I do enjoy Affliction in M+ overall, moreso than I do in raids at least but at the same time it feels awful on trash at times. Something as simple as decreasing the cast time of Seed of Corruption would go miles I feel in making locks feel smoother without changing their output, since Seed of Corruption is in an awkward spot that you're suppose to be precasting it every time basically.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2021-03-19 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amariw View Post
    I feel blizz dropped the ball o affliction design this expac. Yes boss dmg is great, but evertything else just feels so clunky.

Aoe= 2 sec seed cast, for some reason we still need to wait for it to explode as if its 2005, no emergency way to make it instant for burst packs, and then we have to *manually apply agony to each mob*. If pack lives long its a mess, if it dies quick you're practically useless.

Single target = a powerful if clunky mess of juggling dots to buff malefic. If the mob is short lived, tough luck, no Soulburn Soulswap to instantly apply dots anymore. You reaign yourself to draining it for a shard.

Even if they buff the specc by 100%, and its op, the actual design feels so bad in comparison to Legion or MoP-WoD. About same as Battle for Azeroth...

Am the only one feeling this is too bad to be acceptable? Does anyone actually like it?
    To be honest I completely agree with you on the cluckiness part. Having to play the piano in M+ scene at every trash pack and hoping that they live long enough is exhausting.

I have switched to Demo after the dogs buff. The single target suffered, can't do much about it, but now even if I go to a friend's key to help them out in low keys, I don't feel useless. The warlock needs a redesign on aff and demo, maybe it needs some tuning in destro as well. I can't comment on destro because I don't play it.

Aff needs legion's seed treatement to be honest for aoe packs. Less emphasis on MR for single target, more damage funnelled to dots, quicker ramp up time. (seriously it takes so long to just apply dots, if we are the dot class, we should have an Epidemic button as well which applies our dots to all in range, spammable as well.)

Current iteration of Aff is clunky as well in raids. Yes the damage is there, but it is a pain to play to get that damage. There is too much ramp up, target switching is a chore, if you mess up your timers, your dps goes way down etc.

Also there is only one covenant choice for locks, Night Fae. Thematically it doesn't fit and it adds another layer of complexity on the rotation for integrating another dot. We need some redesigned covenants as well. (Though it will be tough to tell locks to switch out of our only mobility talent)

Multi target dotting in WoW is still the same garbage as it was in 2004.

Blizzard should officially implement that UI mod which made multi dotting so much better - instead of disabling the mod and leaving players to hassle with the archaic multi target dotting tab targeting nonsense.

And yea affliction is hella clunky, applying dot one by one to every target is imho the worst gameplay mechanic currently in wow.
    Seed should explode instantly to say the least.
    Let DOT specs apply their dots in an AOE more comfortably... if needed reduce the damage Dots inflict when they are on a large number of targets (similar how aoe is capped).
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2021-03-19 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    This could easily be solved by changing Malefic Rapture famage formula. Right now its X damage per dot, making st where you have many dots strong, but aoe where getting even 3 out is a pain very weak and rampy.

Simply changing rapture damage to be X+20% or so per dot would solve this. At four dots, it would do 180% damage in comparison to no dots, but at 2 dots it would still do 120%, which is strong for aoe without being op. They can make 6 dots Raptures be weaker than what they are now, which would smooth out single target and maybe nerf aff peak st dmg a bit, and make it less about cooldown windows.

I do enjoy affliction in m+, would appreciate that the dots are stronger but still enjoy it as you are always engaged in spells and do well on bosses

Quote Originally Posted by phaphot View Post
    I do enjoy affliction in m+, would appreciate that the dots are stronger but still enjoy it as you are always engaged in spells and do well on bosses
    Happy someone is. Gotta say i cant handle the clunkiness. We had so much better tools for aoe and multidot in past expacs.

I play Warlock, Mage, Hunter and Rouge for years and i can easily say that warlock is less awarded class in M+s compared to other 4 classes...

I mean, i easily out dps warlock almost at all trashes by only pressing 2-3 buttons when playing Mage, Hunter and Rouge, however when i'm on my Lock i have to press at least 5-6 spells, dots all the times and still much less Dps... so to me, there's literally no point playing Lock in M+s ... i play my other classes. Thanks to Blizz <3

Quote Originally Posted by Lycras View Post
    I play Warlock, Mage, Hunter and Rouge for years and i can easily say that warlock is less awarded class in M+s compared to other 4 classes...

I mean, i easily out dps warlock almost at all trashes by only pressing 2-3 buttons when playing Mage, Hunter and Rouge, however when i'm on my Lock i have to press at least 5-6 spells, dots all the times and still much less Dps... so to me, there's literally no point playing Lock in M+s ... i play my other classes. Thanks to Blizz <3
    I'm unbiased. I main a boomkin, shadow and fire mage. I have a 50 warlock I've always kept up to date but never mained or played much.
    I decided to hit the target dummy with him one day to see if I wanted to level it again, got hekili just to follow the basic rotation. It was the worst shit ever, the first 12 seconds are putting up gcd dots, then you drain soul ok now you can MR twice, ok reapply some dots, k drain soul, k MR twice, k reapply more gcd dots and it was just this for 3mins. I found out they get another dot at 60 to manage. I was like fuck this, for the amount of abilities affliction has to maintain in a fight they should be the most OP spec in raid.
    I know they're top, but barely compared to balance who hits convoke....moonfire and sunfire every 20 seconds and then just spams wrath/SS with an aoe that follows them around.

M+ I imagine is just terrible on any key below a 15. You probably only have time to put up 2 dots before someone blows the adds up and if you're lucky you get in a MR

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah affli is kind of a pain to play right now in M+, It's not bad but it's really a pain to play in most scenario. There is a bit to much to juggle in AOE. You can do good dmg with the right set up but it's so slow that on hard pack you are better with a burstier class. The class also struggles hard on any big low life pack.

If you play in a premade group you have make sure you don't use cd on same pack as other and it helps a lot.

Affli tend to scale better in higher keys where stuff lives longer, but that's also where the meta matters more and more. And for caster, in high keys, fire mage or moonkin is just better at everything.

Personally I just play destro or demo in anything other than TOP tyrannical (15+) and even there I only play affli if I know my group will struggle with boss. Destro is just more versatile and Demo is not to bad either, a bit underrated IMO.

Affli is just not really fun to play this tier even in raid. On ST shadow embrace sucks the life out of the spec. It's good dmg but it's harder to play well than most spec and the reward is only really there if there is like 2 target or a really tight burst window. On top of that, it's best spec for basically every fight so you don't even get a break from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I switched to destro and haven't looked back. Id still prefer affliction even if the dmg was a little bit less but in m+ dropping that rock is king
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    You are so wrong, it's not even funny. Outside of the fact you simply tried to insult the other poster without addressing any core design issues.

Yes, Warlock is strong for ST and weak for AoE. Blizzard has stated publically, Ion during a Q&A, that Aff is the hardest spec to balance in the game because of the way dots work. Buffing AoE would be very, VERY easy to do, while keeping ST dmg in tact and preventing it from going crazy. How you ask? Simple. Let me explain.

Seed Of Corruption already has a cast time, 2+ seconds, as well as a resource cost, 1 soul shard. But a single seed, with a 2 second cast time, does almost no dmg whatsoever comparatively to something like Flamestrike, or any melee instant click AoE ability.

Give SoC 3 seeds when casted, and make it a 1.5-second cast. It would be a DPS loss to do this for single target, and a big AoE DPS gain for M+. And wouldn't break anything.

OR

Allow SoC to also apply Agony and or Siphon Life, or the other dots when talented into it, which would then pull folks away from the meta of only taking Phantom Singularity, which is what all warlocks take in that row. Now you have a choice to use 2 GCDs to cast 2 dots for ST, or use a soul shard and a 1.5-second cast to apply 2-3 dots. In turn, making this talent useful only in AoE situations. And with this setup, Malefic Grasp, the Shadowlands skill, becomes more useful for AoE. Considering we were told this skill was going to help us in M+, but has really done the opposite. You need ALL of your dots on as many things as possible, or else this skill does dick for damage.

There are a lot of things that could be done for Warlock to help them in M+, but I personally think someone at blizzard has their head up their ass. Considering every other ranged DPS does more AoE than a warlock, and by a large margin, it's just laughable at this point. And considering the Meta hasn't changed from BFA til now, Blizzard is not trying to fix balanced issues at all. Mage, Rogue, DH, have been AoE kings for over 3 years now, and all do good ST, and haven't had anything changed, only improved. And I'm sorry, playing a fire mage, is so fucking easy compared to playing an Aff Warlock. Fire mages have one of the easiest rotations in the game, and they put out INSANE AoE dmg. Aff Warlocks, one of the hardest in terms of AoE, and requiring upwards of 10+ GCDs to get their damage out to its maximum potential.

Not at all. Now that I have a few legendaries under my belt, I've been using Demo for m+. The only issue is I have to use a crappier soulbind due to the stupid limits on conduit swaps.

I'm happy though. I did Demo all last expansion and managed a respectable IO while doing it.