View Poll Results: Culture war, are we in a culture war?

Voters
11. This poll is closed
  • No. Same problems different day

7 63.64%
  • Yes. Evolution

4 36.36%
    10+ Year Old Account

Culture war, are we in a culture war?

Yes, for sure, I think culture for the most part has peeled back most of the traditional arguments and roles taken especially when it comes to political campaigns and social issues.

What would you say is Your Culture?

I am liberal and left Christian, non traditionalist, however there are some very traditional things about my nature. I believe in faith, and the common good, I also belief science over all is the only way we KNOW reality in our world and everything in it. I don't care about biological constraints as much as I do an able minded choice. Human's are the top of the food chain and the most superior species on the planet, but with that truth lay the fact as such that power comes from caring for our world

Do unto others but don't take shit from anyone. Living healthy and forever and maintaining balance and eliminating suffering where possible.

Quality of life over profit and each according to their ability.

My hope for the future is that humanity move forward together A planet like Star Trek: The Next Generation.

How about you?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there is no culture war... there is just a political party that has absolutely nothing to offer the American people, but a promise of a future where every cartoon character will have giant tits.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Culture War, brought to you by the studio that produced The War on Christmas. Only in theaters this fall!

No, there is no culture war. People have always disagreed on social issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Yes, for sure, I think culture for the most part has peeled back most of the traditional arguments and roles taken especially when it comes to political campaigns and social issues.

What would you say is Your Culture?

I am liberal and left Christian, non traditionalist, however there are some very traditional things about my nature. I believe in faith, and the common good, I also belief science over all is the only way we KNOW reality in our world and everything in it. I don't care about biological constraints as much as I do an able minded choice. Human's are the top of the food chain and the most superior species on the planet, but with that truth lay the fact as such that power comes from caring for our world

Do unto others but don't take shit from anyone. Living healthy and forever and maintaining balance and eliminating suffering where possible.

Quality of life over profit and each according to their ability.

My hope for the future is that humanity move forward together A planet like Star Trek: The Next Generation.

How about you?
    We are definitely in a culture war in the US. It's been going on since I don't know maybe the 1770s or so?

The south won most of the culture wars, even after losing the civil war, until recently. For example, it took a LONG TIME for women to get the right to vote. But mostly southern white males ruled the roost and made the rules. And Sunday afternoons was the time to publicly lynch - that is hang until he died - a black person, with everyone attending turning this into a party.

But since the 1960s, things have changed, one steady step after another. Southern white males are losing their influence and power in a major way. Gay marriage is legal in all 50 states, and nothing was done to undo that. They got the supreme court that they wanted, and they are hoping beyond hope that one day this supreme court bring back making gay marriage illegal.

Now they are lashing out in any way they can. The people that stormed the capital on January 6th thought they would be viewed as heroes not as villains. They were wrong. The Senate is sort of their last stand against this losing battle, and they will fight every battle hard. Essentially, the debates will be:

democrats: Let's see how much money and aid we can give to all Americans, including Trump supporters.
    Trump supporters: How DARE you try to give us a bunch of money when we desperately need it.

They will very likely lose this battle. The two party system of the future will be the Manchin wing of the democratic party vs the Sanders wing of the democratic party. As frustrating as it is that Senator Manchin will be vetoing a large number of democratic bills and ideals, it is most important that he and his wing of the party be treated with deference and respect. We have to change the tone of our national debates, no matter how important individual bills might be.

I will take this opportunity to point out that any public statements that Senator Sanders puts out are thoroughly vetted by the Biden administration, and I bet that Senator Manchin is forewarned of his speeches before they are made. Senator Sanders has his talking points that he is allowed to cover, and so does Senator Manchin. We need both wings to come together so that 2022 becomes a year of victory for democrats, including at the state level races. And 2024 needs to be a solid reelection of President Biden, or a solid election of Vice President Harris in the race for Presidency.

There IS a culture war. President Biden, at least so far, is handling it very effectively. He is giving republicans enough rope to hang themselves with, and they are doing a good... great job of making themselves look foolish and out of touch and just plain stupid. This is a necessary step.

What is my culture? Basically treating others with respect. And getting back to participation trophies being considered a GOOD thing.

When two basketball teams play a game and one team wins, sure the winning team should be acknowledged for their victory. But we need to celebrate all the work that the losing team put into it as well. If only the best of the best of the best are even playing and participating, then all we have is a nation of people that watch a few people do things. This is nuts.

Trophies for all is a very good, cheap, and effective way to tell parents of athletes, for example, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DID TO GET YOUR CHILDREN TO THE GAMES, TO GET THEM TO PRACTICE, TO GET THEM TO WORKOUTS, etc. Removing this incentive and "thank you" message is nuts.

No. Unless you assume disliking minorities - whether that's based on gender/race/sexual orientation/religion - is a cultural issue.

Bigotry is present in all cultures. Just in differing ways. The GOP just likes phrases like 'culture war' and 'cancel culture' because it sells outrage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    No, there is no culture war. People have always disagreed on social issues.
    True, but this isn’t even that... Two examples of this supposed culture war within the last year, was about the size of child cartoon character tits. This is all about esthetics, with one side pushing some really creepy shit aimed at children, in the name of saving culture. I am not aware of any culture, where something that perverted, is a conservative battle line. But, corrupt politicians need to be elected... so... mass perverts it is...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Bigotry is present in all cultures. Just in differing ways. The GOP just likes phrases like 'culture war' and 'cancel culture' because it sells outrage.
    Cancel culture is just as bad... during the reign of cancel culture, conservatives gained two networks entering mainstream. Despite all the cancel bullshit, platforms that are exclusive to conservatives, as if they are not members of American general public... are growing. There more places for conservatives to hide from general public, than there were before parlor got deplatformed. Every deplatform article, had a list of alternative... and like magic of mainstream media advertising... all of them gained 100s of thousands to millions new users.

While complaining that some celebrity got cancelled, they are creating an ever expanding bubble, that cancelled reality.

Edit: Damn... populism is so easy... lol
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Sure.

"The Culture War" is just the perpetual tug of war between conservative and progressive elements of all societies as the progressives have to drag conservative troglodytes kicking and screaming out of whatever is the latest cave they've entrenched themselves into.

It has probably been ongoing since the first progressives had to convince our ancestors that fire is good, huts are better than caves, bronze is better than stone, iron is better than bronze etc.

The same old one that's been going on since we learned how to make fire thousands of years ago. Those afraid of change and those making changes. Because I am sure some religious nut job at that time thought fire was only from the heavens and the tool of the gods and anyone using or making fire was the devil. Even though they enjoyed cooked food and keeping the predators away at night too. Which is why we continued to use fires beyond thier hypoctical protests. Just like things will move forward here. It just seems different because we are actually here.

The closest to a culture war is whether you're having Thai, Chinese, Italian, etc...all of which I have a deep appreciation for.

The people who complain about cancel culture are always on TV or writing OP-ed reaching millions apparently the right doesn't understand irony or reality.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    The same old one that's been going on since we learned how to make fire thousands of years ago. Those afraid of change and those making changes. Because I am sure some religious nut job at that time thought fire was only from the heavens and the tool of the gods and anyone using or making fire was the devil. Even though they enjoyed cooked food and keeping the predators away at night too. Which is why we continued to use fires beyond thier hypoctical protests. Just like things will move forward here. It just seems different because we are actually here.
    Like forks.

Not a typo, yes I mean forks. The things you eat with. It took the fork more than a thousand years to become popular in Britain. Imagine that.

We are the most stupid intelligent species.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Like forks.

Not a typo, yes I mean forks. The things you eat with. It took the fork more than a thousand years to become popular in Britain. Imagine that.

We are the most stupid intelligent species.
    I think you got this info from the new YouTube ad, that you have to watch for 5 seconds... it’s from the same dude who just had ads about giant balls and toxic poop... because I learned that very recently, so I think we watched the same thing.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    In the sense that there is a not insignificant group of people who have determined that they want to destroy my access to basic healthcare or enact legislation that would put a tremendous amount of strain on my career and family so as to create stress and force me to align with their beliefs? I mean, yeah, that's a thing. I'm sure a lot of other different people from different groups conservatives don't like feel similar, too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I think you got this info from the new YouTube ad, that you have to watch for 5 seconds... it’s from the same dude who just had ads about giant balls and toxic poop... because I learned that very recently, so I think we watched the same thing.
    Nope, from some tiktok girl that slided on my fyp talking about random facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Nope, from some tiktok girl that slided on my fyp talking about random facts.
    Oh... not hip enough for tiktok... giant balls and toxic poop is more of my alley... lol

5+ Year Old Account
    These sorts of threads don't last long before they're degenerate. This is closed.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."