Can I enjoy prot even though it does alot less dps then ret?

I am not a tank by nature but i enjoy the prot game play in shadowlands can i play the prot spec and not feel inferior if im not a great tank, yet inferior if im not doing a ton of dps? I am sorta torn here lol

Depends on what you want to.play it in. World content, raids, m+, pvp?

What kind of weird question is this.

A tank spec will obviously do less DPS than a DPS spec, but the tank spec can also kill, depending on gear levels, 10-20-50 mobs at a time so i aint even sure what exactly is the question.

If you are a bad tank, you will realize it when you are gonna be dying to things you arent supposed to die, and trust me the community will let you know, like a half-competent self-healing tank cant really die at the irrelevant content assuming logical situations and relevant gear levels.

Lets get that out of the way first, and then you can see about doing "extra" DPS on it, which does come passively from tanking correctly.

I'm going to assume you mean PVP and world content because that's the only context your question makes sense. Prot is a lot of fun in world content. I'm a holy main, but I went prot for solo content until recently. Fighting elites or in the Maw and Torghast, prot felt good vs ret, but ret does feel more satisfying now that I have good gear (224). As for PVP, prot's okay for random BGs and world PVP. You'll be able to cheese 2v2 to 1600 np. From there expect people to know how to beat you. Prot isn't op. It was op for a brief period in PVP but that's long ended.

Don't play tank if you care about dps...
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

Prot Paladins do solid design. Don't let anyone knock what we can do and couple that with our survivability as well, you literally have to pull a mountain of mobs on you to die. I don't care that I don't do as much dps as other classes. I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post
    Prot Paladins do solid design. Don't let anyone knock what we can do and couple that with our survivability as well, you literally have to pull a mountain of mobs on you to die. I don't care that I don't do as much dps as other classes. I don't care.
    Uh, Prot pala is the highest DPS of tanks specs by MILES... what're you on about? O.o

If you want to do any grouped content - you can't play as DD with prot spec, you'll either not get invited or you'll get kicked. If you want to play in grouped content as tank.. well, then you have to do everything that the "tank-role" has to do. Get to know what a tank has to do, start doing some heroics (I do NOT recommend normals, as there are very bad people inside that make a normal harder than a heroic).

If you want to do solo content.. do as you want, there is no one who can shit on you for that.