View Poll Results: Before you Follow, Subscribe, Fan, Rate, Donate do you check that person or persons f

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    22 84.62%
  • Yes.

    4 15.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Maaaaaybe I do like a tiny amount of vetting, check to see if whether or not the person was mentioning a lo of "orange man bad" or "straight white man bad" or "systemic white supremacy".

    Gotta know whose side they're on.

  2. #22
    I check who I follow, just to be sure they're not pieces of shit that happened to make one post I liked, but I'm not going into full stalker mode to see who they follow and what those people are like, etc.

  3. #23
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,032
    No, and if I find the person I subscribed to or liked turns out to be a con-artist or worse I just unfollow and unsubscribe.
    There is a limit to the success of conservative populism and the exploitation of "little guy" or "silent majority" rhetoric, and it is very often reached because of the emaciated, corrupted personalities of the demagogues themselves.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  4. #24
    I mean I only subscribe to youtube channels. Typically so I don't miss a video of something I watch often- which are like travel videos and stuff.

    I always vet who and what I donate money to though. Which are legitimate organizations not some dude on social media or whatever.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  5. #25
    If you are worried about youtube algorithms or rabbit holes you can download an extension which blocks all suggested or recommended videos (or probably just turn them off yourself if you know how). I use it and now only watch videos I'm either subscribed to or actively search for.

  6. #26
    Donate, yes. The rest not so much, but the important ones are donations and paid subscriptions.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

    Prediction for the future

  7. #27
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    17,897
    No because cancel culture is downright toxic, it pulls things out of context, it tries to demonize people.

    I also find the whole environment armchair activists have created to be worthless when it comes to actually aiding or even just defending people they claim to feel outrage for. Who the fuck are they to claim to feel more outraged by a comment or remark than a person actually being addressed by it.

    Who actually benefits from all of this? Even people with more liberal stand points are getting turned away from issues just because of these witch hunts.

    Now there are exceptions, people who's channels are intentionally dishonest or are leading people into conspiracy theory territory, so there being an agenda to actually create conflict and incite hatred or even violence. But let's say a channel that's not about politics, a person who is not about politics in the content what they produce. Why should i care?
    We need more comics and content creators who's willing to piss people off with jokes about everyone and everything.

    I don't see a whole lot of difference between people that want to cancel others and those that discriminate others, because it's essentially the same thing.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    No because cancel culture is downright toxic, it pulls things out of context, it tries to demonize people.

    I also find the whole environment armchair activists have created to be worthless when it comes to actually aiding or even just defending people they claim to feel outrage for. Who the fuck are they to claim to feel more outraged by a comment or remark than a person actually being addressed by it.

    Who actually benefits from all of this? Even people with more liberal stand points are getting turned away from issues just because of these witch hunts.

    Now there are exceptions, people who's channels are intentionally dishonest or are leading people into conspiracy theory territory, so there being an agenda to actually create conflict and incite hatred or even violence. But let's say a channel that's not about politics, a person who is not about politics in the content what they produce. Why should i care?
    We need more comics and content creators who's willing to piss people off with jokes about everyone and everything.

    I don't see a whole lot of difference between people that want to cancel others and those that discriminate others, because it's essentially the same thing.
    Cancel culture is toxic because....it makes bad people take responsibility for their words and actions whether or not they like it?

    Interesting take, but I think I prefer it to stay around forever.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

    Prediction for the future

  9. #29
    Old God Grimbold21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Azores, Portugal
    Posts
    10,915
    What is this, the wokesphere?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    No because cancel culture is downright toxic, it pulls things out of context, it tries to demonize people.

    I also find the whole environment armchair activists have created to be worthless when it comes to actually aiding or even just defending people they claim to feel outrage for. Who the fuck are they to claim to feel more outraged by a comment or remark than a person actually being addressed by it.
    This is a mixture of things, a knot so annoying to untangle.

    Call it performative activism, because it is a performance grounded on the goal to acquire social (read social media) capital, clout or whatever you wish to call it. Add in to the mix the fact that identity formation has been gradually moving onto the digital space over the last few years, and you have people defining and concerning themselves with their digital person and, subsequently, you get "performers" saying what used to be outlandish things some time back, in order to ascertain their moral righteousness, and thus their sense of belonging with their clique.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Cancel culture is toxic because....it makes bad people take responsibility for their words and actions whether or not they like it?

    Interesting take, but I think I prefer it to stay around forever.
    According to whom? The woke left are offended by everything. Someone could say "look at the lovely purple in today's sunset" and someone else would claim that's insensitive to the visually impaired. Next comes the doxxing and trying to get the person fired - knowing that most people are just 1-2 paychecks away from homelessness - because of an innocuous statement someone decided to take offense to that most people wouldn't have had a problem with.

    Saying people take responsibility for their words is a cop out. It's a group of people who've designated themselves as the moral authority who, when they judge someone, decide the only response is to destroy a person's life (and those of their immediate family) because that's clearly what's appropriate for the 'crime'. It's laughable because I'll see people apologize profusely, offer to go to 're-education camps', etc. Nope, once it's said - even if you were 15 years old at the time and joking around with a friend - you're done in their eyes, forever. It's an assault on freedom of speech.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

  11. #31
    Usually I'll just watch something on my recommended, if I watch a few more videos of theirs I'll subscribe. Typically this is a like a year long process. I only sub to youtube channels.

  12. #32
    I don't browse to hard in the recommended area so it doesn't matter much. By now I got a pretty stream line number of content creators I watch regularly and if I discover someone new it's often by accident though them when they bring it up in the content.

    Sometimes the phone apps trap game me into some stuff as it auto plays but really it's not to big of a deal for me. Again, because recommended stuff isn't my jam. I would be lying if I never peaked at it, of course I do, but never devote much time or effort at it.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    According to whom? The woke left are offended by everything. Someone could say "look at the lovely purple in today's sunset" and someone else would claim that's insensitive to the visually impaired. Next comes the doxxing and trying to get the person fired - knowing that most people are just 1-2 paychecks away from homelessness - because of an innocuous statement someone decided to take offense to that most people wouldn't have had a problem with.

    Saying people take responsibility for their words is a cop out. It's a group of people who've designated themselves as the moral authority who, when they judge someone, decide the only response is to destroy a person's life (and those of their immediate family) because that's clearly what's appropriate for the 'crime'. It's laughable because I'll see people apologize profusely, offer to go to 're-education camps', etc. Nope, once it's said - even if you were 15 years old at the time and joking around with a friend - you're done in their eyes, forever. It's an assault on freedom of speech.
    Oh look, the usual psychological projections from conservatives.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...epublicans-do/
    https://www.thenation.com/article/so...re-kaepernick/
    https://prospect.org/politics/alterc...ancel-culture/

    Hypocritical conservatives like yourself LOVE cancel culture like no other. You just hate it when people do it back to you....for better reasons.

    At least, decent people cancel conservatives because of things like said conservatives doing their best hitler impression, what do conservatives cancel their targets over? Truths they can't accept about themselves.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2021-03-27 at 03:06 PM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

    Prediction for the future

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Oh look, the usual psychological projections from conservatives.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...epublicans-do/
    https://www.thenation.com/article/so...re-kaepernick/
    https://prospect.org/politics/alterc...ancel-culture/

    Hypocritical conservatives like yourself LOVE cancel culture like no other. You just hate it when people do it back to you....for better reasons.

    At least, decent people cancel conservatives because of things like said conservatives doing their best hitler impression, what do conservatives cancel their targets over? Truths they can't accept about themselves.
    A baseless assumption followed by links to left biased media and topped off with a Hitler mention. I'm shocked, truly.

    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

  15. #35
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,215
    No I don't, as someone who has said/been racist/bigoted before, I fully believe people can change.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Maaaaaybe I do like a tiny amount of vetting, check to see if whether or not the person was mentioning a lo of "orange man bad" or "straight white man bad" or "systemic white supremacy".

    Gotta know whose side they're on.
    racist and not racist? why am I not surprise by which side you seem to support.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.
    Yo, don't mind my "street talk"

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    A baseless assumption followed by links to left biased media and topped off with a Hitler mention. I'm shocked, truly.

    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    As opposed to just psychological projections from an inane alt-righter. At least I can source my claims with examples of conservatives indulging in cancel culture, what have you except lobbing off your own character flaws on me?

    You can't even prove these sources wrong via factual counterevidence, your only pathetic reasoning is "left-biased"; well darling hate to break it you, but there's a reason why reality has a left-wing bias.

    Hitler mention.
    Well, Godwin stopped being an actual thing when actual neo-fascists are what we have to deal with in daily life. Not that I expect neo-fascists to have the self-awareness to know why.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2021-03-28 at 07:19 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

    Prediction for the future

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •