Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Why Do Political Pundits Prop up the GOP?

    Beltway media seems to have a habit of casting the GOP as the protagonist of the news. Politico sums it up in six words.



    Distilling DeSantis's governance as a "win" seems to be a gross mischaracterization. Unless his personal win is completely divorced from a win of his constituents.

    Reducing politics and policy to Sportsball analogies. While pretending that the Washington General are a real team actually interested in governance.

    CNN also joins in the wishcasting. Why is this an industry wide problem?


  2. #2
    Money.

    Yep, it's that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  3. #3
    Merely a Setback JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    27,232
    Same reason it happens with the conservative faction of any political party on earth, its a grift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    it’s mostly a syndicalist fantasy that “the workers” are going to rise up, which is disconnected from the fact that “the workers” are your racist uncle and jerk co-workers who you don’t like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The election has passed and 58 million working class Americans stood up and proved that they are in fact your racist uncle and jerk co-workers.
    They really can't help but show disdain for the working class.

  4. #4
    mainstream media often get accused of political bias so they over compensate by writing fawning articles of republicans and overly criticize dems for nothing, it was msm that hyped the hillary "email" scandel and gave trump free air time, the whole bias thing is really a myth

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    mainstream media often get accused of political bias so they over compensate by writing fawning articles of republicans and overly criticize dems for nothing, it was msm that hyped the hillary "email" scandel and gave trump free air time, the whole bias thing is really a myth
    I also wonder if there's some class solidarity. More prominent pundits come from elite backgrounds. So they underachieved together at school with Tuckers Carlson or Josh Hawley.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I also wonder if there's some class solidarity. More prominent pundits come from elite backgrounds. So they underachieved together at school with Tuckers Carlson or Josh Hawley.
    Not only that, but they love the "both sides" and trying to cast both parties in a grey light, as that drives up sales.

    When reality shows that the dems are largelly competent , if a bit boring, even when governing, they get skittish, as their views go down.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    mainstream media often get accused of political bias so they over compensate by writing fawning articles of republicans and overly criticize dems for nothing, it was msm that hyped the hillary "email" scandel and gave trump free air time, the whole bias thing is really a myth
    Also this...
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker



  7. #7
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,139
    Because they succeeded in making media favor them, by running a campaign that they are being mistreated. These articles are supposed to shownTrump supporters that CNN is not evil... not that it will mater...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  8. #8
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake
    Why Do Political Pundits Prop up the GOP?
    Maybe they just want to accurately report what's happening or maybe they are secretly political shills. Either way they have a right to their opinion and you have a right to point out factual errors in their articles. Which you haven't done that yet.
    Politico headline: How Ron DeSantis won the pandemic
    This one was literally nothing. It was just a short article where they conveyed information and comments from both sides of the aisle. It's simply a fact that DeSantis and Florida are showing relatively decent numbers even though their policy and behaviour is considered to be more risky. Risk isn't always a bad thing, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.
    CNN headline: A year into the pandemic, Florida is booming and Republican Gov. DeSantis is taking credit
    This one did have personal commentary and a more positive spin. I'd rather see the data without very much interpretation but that's just not how these organizations operate. People should just look at the data and make up their own minds.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-19 at 05:33 PM.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    This one was literally nothing.
    The existence of the story is something. Every outlet has limited bandwidth and thus has to make decisions as to what stories they will cover/publish (or not cover/publish).
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

  10. #10
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    38,137
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Maybe they just want to accurately report what's happening or maybe they are secretly political shills. Either way they have a right to their opinion and you have a right to point out factual errors in their articles. Which you haven't done that yet.


    This one was literally nothing. It was just a short article where they conveyed information and comments from both sides of the aisle. It's simply a fact that DeSantis and Florida are showing relatively decent numbers even though their policy and behaviour is considered to be more risky. Risk isn't always a bad thing, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.


    This one did have personal commentary and a more positive spin. I'd rather see the data without very much interpretation but that's just not how these organizations operate. People should just look at the data and make up their own minds.
    Oh dear... "accurately"

    how ron desantis "won" the epidemic?

    Hey maybe they had less numbers because they're a tourist destination tell me... how does tourism work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black people in america should be happy their ancestors where slaves so they could have a good live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black women are racist. Im the one trying to make her[my wife] behave like white people and not say it out loud.
    Totally not racist

  11. #11
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    The existence of the story is something. Every outlet has limited bandwidth and thus has to make decisions as to what stories they will cover/publish (or not cover/publish).
    Okay so what percent of stories from Politico and CNN show the GOP in a positive light and Democrats in a negative light? I just look at overall data and I don't usually read articles from these news sites so I have no clue. I get the feeling that Milchshake would get mad at any positive coverage of the GOP and view a single example as evidence of a larger bias.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  12. #12
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,139
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Okay so what percent of stories from Politico and CNN show the GOP in a positive light and Democrats in a negative light?
    That’s only half the data you need... the other half is how many positive things and negative things each done. Because if... let’s say... Trump passes a massive tax cut that benefits the few, while Biden passes a stimulus that benefits the many... what would be the even coverage?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  13. #13
    Easy money considering how stupid the people who agree with them are, it's like taking candy from a baby. Not very ethical but super easy.

  14. #14
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    That’s only half the data you need... the other half is how many positive things and negative things each done. Because if... let’s say... Trump passes a massive tax cut that benefits the few, while Biden passes a stimulus that benefits the many... what would be the even coverage?
    That doesn't make any sense because whether you ought to decrease taxes on rich people or take their money and give it to other people is subjective. Data on the other hand is about collecting empirical information. Those are two separate domains.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Okay so what percent of stories from Politico and CNN show the GOP in a positive light and Democrats in a negative light? I just look at overall data and I don't usually read articles from these news sites so I have no clue. I get the feeling that Milchshake would get mad at any positive coverage of the GOP and view a single example as evidence of a larger bias.
    They could just report the data without opinions at this point no one has "won" anything when it comes to the pandemic, it's just way too soon. A non bias coverage would mention that in Florida where DeSantis is actively suppressing the data to the point where is vindictively going people who pointed out discrepancies.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Beltway media seems to have a habit of casting the GOP as the protagonist of the news. Politico sums it up in six words.



    Distilling DeSantis's governance as a "win" seems to be a gross mischaracterization. Unless his personal win is completely divorced from a win of his constituents.

    Reducing politics and policy to Sportsball analogies. While pretending that the Washington General are a real team actually interested in governance.

    CNN also joins in the wishcasting. Why is this an industry wide problem?

    Media pundits are entertainment. Media pundit entertainment makes money by selling advertising. You only sell advertising to things that get traffic. More traffic comes from propping up the right. The right will provide traffic regardless because they'll bitch about what they hate regardless of the side the pundit is leaning. The left, only provides sustainable traffic if they are defending.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

  17. #17
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,139
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    That doesn't make any sense because whether you ought to decrease taxes on rich people or take their money and give it to other people is subjective. Data on the other hand is about collecting empirical information. Those are two separate domains.
    The “take” is more subjective than anything I said... and the data is very clear... Trickle down has never worked... it’s an idiotic concept, with the only goal being to keep the rich... rich...

    Edit: In fact, take makes it even more clear... if you consider taking from the poor vs taking from the rich... the necessities of both are very clear... you get more water from an ocean, than a rock...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Oh dear... "accurately"

    how ron desantis "won" the epidemic?

    Hey maybe they had less numbers because they're a tourist destination tell me... how does tourism work?
    This isn't the correct tack WRT destantis. The correct tack is, "Why did he fire and arrest the data scientist who was running the covid numbers? Why is there an unexplained six fold increased in pneumonia deaths that were not attributed to covid?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  19. #19
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19,964
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    The “take” is more subjective than anything I said... and the data is very clear... Trickle down has never worked... it’s an idiotic concept, with the only goal being to keep the rich... rich...

    Edit: In fact, take makes it even more clear... if you consider taking from the poor vs taking from the rich... the necessities of both are very clear... you get more water from an ocean, than a rock...
    Wrong, you're just repeating your subjective opinion and presenting it like it's objectively true. Whether it's true that something "worked" or not is itself subjective because it depends on your personal opinion of what society ought to be maximizing. Some people think we should maximize equality at the cost of other metrics or moral values, some people think we should maximize GDP/growth at the cost of other metrics or moral values, and some people think we should be maximizing freedom at the cost of other metrics or moral values.

    The fact that you think the data can be "very clear" about all of this just shows that you don't understand all the complexities of people and society.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-03-20 at 12:02 AM.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Wrong, you're just repeating your subjective opinion and presenting it like it's objectively true. Whether it's true that something "worked" or not is itself subjective because it depends on your personal opinion of what society ought to be maximizing. Some people think we should maximize equality at the cost of other metrics or moral values, some people think we should maximize GDP/growth at the cost of other metrics or moral values, and some people think we should be maximizing freedom at the cost of other metrics or moral values.

    The fact that you think the data can be "very clear" about all of this just shows that you don't understand all the complexities of people and society.
    Trickle down was sold as increasing everyone's share, "The same proportion of a larger pie means everyone gets more!" That's what the promise of trickle down economics was. That clearly failed. Large portions of our populace are not receiving the same proportion of the pie, but a much smaller proportion of the pie. The promises had nothing to do with maximizing freedom or equality, but that the increase in GDP would lift everyone's boat.

    The data can be very clear with respects to what was promised. The fact that you can't admit this just shows that you're dishonest about how the GOP sold trickle down economics for the past 40 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •