Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizzard using fancy words incorrectly

Have you also noticed when Blizzard attempts to use a fancy synonym, but get it wrong?

Two examples:

During the "We'll Make an Aspirant Out of You" you are sometimes told to Jab, Kick, or Dodge.

"Jab" may sound like a fancy word for a throwing your fist around, but it has a meaning and what you do isn't a Jab (using lead fist), but a straight punch (or possibly a cross) - as you are throwing your back hand (the right as an orthodox boxer).

There are a number of cloth "Mitts" including the SL 'Impossibly Oversized Mitts', and some Mittens like the "Wooly Wendigo" ones. But if you look closely you will see that they are not mitten-style gloves - like oven mittens, but normal gloves where you can see the fingers.

Does this also bother you and do you have any other examples?

well, i mean, i get it, but i think that pretty normal to happen when you have people that their job is to wirte the text, and another guys job is to do de 3D object, and another guy is to join the icon with the item name, etc etc

I would guess in smaller games, more indie, that probably the same guy that decided these are mittens, also models the mittens, etc

would i like to see that lvl of detail in wow? sure, but do i expect it? nah
    "There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
    — Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicle)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think either "jab" or "mitts" is a fancy word. I'm not entirely sure it would be accurate to say "mitts" always refers to mittens-style hands covering. It's colloquially used as slang for hands in general and probably not a stretch to use for regular gloves too.

The jab thing has bugged me all expansion, but that's just me being pedantic and petty.

I think you're expecting a little too much out of a video game.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

There is nothing fancy about “jab” or “mitt”.

Spend twenty minutes on MMO-C and you will see people actually misusing multisyllable words. Yes, that makes me grind my teeth.

I see biology pet peeves all the time. Highmountain Tauren have their antlers (shed and regrow every year) labeled as horns (permanent).

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't think either "jab" or "mitts" is a fancy word. I'm not entirely sure it would be accurate to say "mitts" always refers to mittens-style hands covering. It's colloquially used as slang for hands in general and probably not a stretch to use for regular gloves too.

The jab thing has bugged me all expansion, but that's just me being pedantic and petty.

It would be a bit over the top to give every race a jab animation just for a single world quest imo. They all have different animations for it anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Have you also noticed when Blizzard attempts to use a fancy synonym, but get it wrong?

Two examples:

During the "We'll Make an Aspirant Out of You" you are sometimes told to Jab, Kick, or Dodge.

"Jab" may sound like a fancy word for a throwing your fist around, but it has a meaning and what you do isn't a Jab (using lead fist), but a straight punch (or possibly a cross) - as you are throwing your back hand (the right as an orthodox boxer).

There are a number of cloth "Mitts" including the SL 'Impossibly Oversized Mitts', and some Mittens like the "Wooly Wendigo" ones. But if you look closely you will see that they are not mitten-style gloves - like oven mittens, but normal gloves where you can see the fingers.

Does this also bother you and do you have any other examples?
    I think you confuse game mechanics with lore.

i am sure lore wise they are actually mitts

but blizzard cannot/has not designed mit style gloves, cause how do you point with gloves and make it look good, cause even irl its not really doable unless your mitts are oversized. so when the player model does /point what happens? the mitts twist and contort and break?
    What happens while casting, do they wiggle weirdly while they cast?

yeah they arnt actually mitts on our player model, but thats just game mechanics.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2021-03-19 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    every now and again I come to mmo champ forums and I see a thread complaining about something that could be only described as "petty and insignificant" - today is one of those days, here we are again!

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    No, it doesn't bother me, because to me, it is the epitome of "finding things simply to whine about".
    I mean this sounds like a normal "haha isnt that silly" kinda thread not a "LOOK HOW AWFUL THEY ARE" thread.

Calm down, not everything is hating on blizz.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

They're not going to make unique animations or icons for the sake of a WQ or generic item.

Over the many years I have noticed them a few times reaching far and deep into their vocabulary, but I don't really blame them trying to keep things fresh and interesting. It's never pretentious use of language imo.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I think you confuse game mechanics with lore.

i am sure lore wise they are actually mitts

but blizzard cannot/has not designed mit style gloves, cause how do you point with gloves and make it look good, cause even irl its not really doable unless your mitts are oversized. so when the player model does /point what happens? the mitts twist and contort and break?
    What happens while casting, do they wiggle weirdly while they cast?

yeah they arnt actually mitts on our player model, but thats just game mechanics.
    Introducing mitts would actually be fairly complex animation-wise since they'd need to have different rigging and animations than gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I mean this sounds like a normal "haha isnt that silly" kinda thread not a "LOOK HOW AWFUL THEY ARE" thread.

Calm down, not everything is hating on blizz.
    If you read the last line the OP he says this bothers him. This isn't the kind of thread you think it is.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It would be a bit over the top to give every race a jab animation just for a single world quest imo. They all have different animations for it anyway.
    I am sure every race has a jab animation already because of monks, but they could have also just called it a cross in the quest, or even just left it as "punch" or "hit" or something.

But like I said, I know it's just me being pedantic.

| twitch | bsky
    |

I am sure every race has a jab animation already because of monks, but they could have also just called it a cross in the quest, or even just left it as "punch" or "hit" or something.

But like I said, I know it's just me being pedantic.
    Cross would probably be the worst option. Many people would just be confused by it.

No, normal human beings do not get "bothered" by tiny insignificant details like this, OP.

Seek mental help if you do.

Allow me to explain, OP.

What you know as a technical term for a specific type of punch is informally just a synonym for hitting something with your hand, or even to push something with a quick movement. Some dictionary entries:
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/jab?s=t
    https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/jab
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...ry/english/jab

So the usage of the word "jab" is in fact perfectly fine in the context of this world quest. You were simply unaware of other possible meanings of this word.

You have a much better case with the mitt complaint, but as others have said, that's probably a result of how the glove items are designed in general in wow. Mitts is a word probably used to just differentiate from some other items. With hundreds of glove slot items we need some variety in the names after all.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Cross would probably be the worst option. Many people would just be confused by it.
    Yeah, IDK, my point was mostly that my reaction wasn't "they should change this animation" so much as "they should change this word." I wouldn't expect them to add an animation for that reason (although, as I said, it probably already exists for every race).

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    They're not going to make unique animations or icons for the sake of a WQ or generic item.
    They could have just have told you to "Punch" instead of "Jab".

The mitts/mittens listed weren't that generic: but part of the Wendigo Woolies Blizzcon set and CN raid sets; and the Wendigo Woolies even draw attention to the finger nails.

Does it destroy the game? No.
    Is it something to notice? Yes.

I think a part of it is just to add a little variety to what's being said and as such they tend to go overboard with not looking at the meanings of things.

While you are correct about the whole mitts being slang for hands....it's never really slang for normal gloves as all definitions distinctly point to having a thumb and then the other fingers(oven/baseball mitts and of course traditional mittens)

I honestly never paid attention to the jab thing since I've just been watching the words the whole time on that quest.