Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why does the WoW community love to be armchair developers (so much)?

Do you have any theory why we all end up being like this?

This question hit me when i was hearing to Bellullar youtube stream.
    "Dear mother of God...this is armchair developing at its best" i thought
    I even think he made a fake game developing company so no one can call him that (joking )

Is it because Blizzard makes changes to the game with player feedback? So we end up excited and discuss?
    Is it because we are nerds and thats what nerds do?

Why are you trying to be an armchair sociologist?

5+ Year Old Account
    Well to quote Moriarty:......That's what people DO!

But seriously even if we are not developers we sometimes see other developers do things better so we know it is possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post

This question hit me when i was hearing to Bellullar youtube stream.
    "Dear mother of God...this is armchair developing at its best" i thought
    I even think he made a fake game developing company so no one can call him that (joking )

Is it because Blizzard makes changes to the game with player feedback? So we end up excited and discuss?
    Is it because we are nerds and thats what nerds do?
    Because people wish to be part of the drive in developing the world they like or believe they might actually know a solution. It is very common behavior, from programming to medicine, to psychiatry.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It gives people attention.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Why are you trying to be an armchair sociologist?
    Oh i know im one of them...but why are we like this? xD
    I personally dont know any other gaming community like ours.
    Last edited by Big Thanks; 2021-03-19 at 09:40 PM.

Because humans like to human.

"The President should have..."
    "Tom Brady really needed to..."
    "If I were Bobby K..."
    "If I ran the department..."

5+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes you have talented fans that do know what they're talking about but also address the limitations that prevent fixing the "issue".

An easy example are various cosmetics: Heritage armor, recolors, racial options, clipping, etc. It's often not the case they can't do these things, it's that they're being paid to focus on something else.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Oh i know im one of them...but why are we like this? xD
    Have you ever been to forums or sub reddits for other games? Seems like it's a common thing. Some times the players are right some times they are wrong.

I see the problem, you watched bellular. Really I am not joking, that is the problem right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    I see the problem, you watched bellular. Really I am not joking, that is the problem right there.
    Gotta agree here, after watching him sometimes you realize the amount of bullshit he spouts.

Stood in the Fire ShadowofVashj's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    In the basement of Oribos playing cards with fellow Ebon Knights and Cartel members.
    Invested consumers become attached to proffered or loyal products. Also consider there are X number of players who have outlasted Y number of developers who have actually worked on said game.

Because people get incredibly invested in this game and play it for years. This causes them to delude themselves after some time that their opinion matters and should be taken into account for future game development.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

We get to know the game quite well, at least the parts of it we regularly participate with, and we all have little ideas for tweaks or big ideas for full revolutions that we think would improve the game for us."

The trouble comes when people stop thinking "I would prefer the game this way," and move on to "changing to this would definitely make the game objectively better," or inevitably get to "my ideas are so good the only people who could possibly argue against them are shills and Blizzdrones."

the WoW community has a whole can be defined easily if you remember that the average WoW player compensates for their low IQ with an oversized ego.

A lot of people here,on reddit and on the WoW forums genuinely believe that they know better than anyone else

feel like blizz devs are out of touch with reality most of the time. wonder how many of them actually play their own game. wouldn't be surprised if it breeds an army of armchair devs

Because of the amount of sucktacular shit ingame?

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally every gaming community is like this. Every community gives feedback in a "WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE X YET?" kind of way, just like the WoW community does.

To be fair, it's often easier to see faults and problems when you aren't neck deep in developing something. Blizzard often believes their own hype too much, and doesn't throw away a bad idea or design nearly fast enough (see: borrowed power in general, AP, Azerite armor, Titanforging).

A few reasons..

1. In the past Blizzard has certainly caved to community pressure. So people feel like they can be the spark that causing outrage to cause the game to change to what they want. 99.9999999% of them fail but a boy can dream I suppose.

2. Everyone always knows better when its other people's money. Specifically if it involves risk. So of course they are willing to shove the chips in for Blizzard.

3. Nature of our society these days is everyone could do anything but the world is holding them back. Damn the man. So we know everyone here obviously could make games like WoW in their sleep if only they had the resources.

4. Some genuine concern that devs have kind of put themselves in a bubble where they are worried maybe a bit to much about putting their signature on WoW instead of actually thinking of what might be best for the game. I would say this is pretty rare but it no doubt exists a bit.

5. Some people are just dumb as fuck.

I might have missed a few..

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    Literally every gaming community is like this. Every community gives feedback in a "WHY HAVEN'T YOU DONE X YET?" kind of way, just like the WoW community does.
    Basically this. Pick 5-10 popular games off the top of your head and go to their subreddits.