Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How fun is the DK?

Hey,

How smooth and satisfying is the DK specs from 1-10(compared to other classes/spec you played)?

The definition of smooth for me is that, you have the big moments and then you have the wait moments in the rotation. You are not drowned in a mess of things you have to weave in(think shamans and WW monks if you played it).

Thanks.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2021-03-20 at 01:52 PM.

I play DW obliteration frost in m+ around +15-16 range. Id say it's about an 8. You spend runes which generates runic power. Runes recharge 3 at a time over 10 secs, affected by haste. Spending runic power has a chance to proc a free rune.

You pop remorseless winter every 20 seconds and spend runes to make it do more damage and last longer thru gathering storm talent.

You spend runes on obliterate which has a 45% chance to give a rime proc. Rime makes your howling blast free and do a ton more dmg.

Main cds are empower rune weapon (2 min) pillar of frost/ obliteration (1 min), and frostwyrm fury (3 min)

Empower rune weapon last 20 secs, increases haste, and generates runes and runic power.

Pillar of frost lasts 12 secs, gives u strength and 1% more for every rune u spend during its duration.

Obliterqtion activates during pillar of frost. Makes frost strike (your runic power spender) or howling blast give u a killing machine proc. Killing machine makes obliterate crit and do frost damage. So its 12 secs of slamming magic damage crits on the target.

Frostwyrm fury summons big dragon to aoe in a line. Hits for like 15kish.

Overall, very smooth spending runes and runic power. Some free gcds every now and then. Every min u get to feel extra strong for 12 secs. It flows in 20 sec periods of popping remorseless winter and spending runes for about 12 seconds, then spending the runic power to build the runes back up for the next winter.

15+ Year Old Account
    UH is fun as hell but require around 10+(if fortified, higher if not) keys to be fun.
    I got limited time doing it so not super experienced (11-13 as highest *miss legion*) but lower keys are just dull.
    UH need time to setup stuff, frost I cant comment on. I tanked and dps as UH, frost never lured me not even in PvP back in the days.

So I guess my point is, if you wanne go down the UH line hold out untill higher keys. It will be obvious for you as well, your AoE spec will still woop ST damage on bosses and thats when you (and I) wish "Damn, wish I had more xp to do a +16 key cos the AoE burst & sustain is the blast

The above is my modest advice since im humping Overwatch mostly.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    Hey,

How smooth and satisfying is the DK specs from 1-10(compared to other classes/spec you played)?

The definition of smooth for me is that, you have the big moments and then you have the wait moments in the rotation. You are not drowned in a mess of things you have to weave in(think shamans and WW monks if you played it).

Thanks.
    I cannot comment on Unholy or Blood, but I find Obliteration Frost builds quite fun. Breath of Syndragosa builds are spiky, and depend a lot on RNG to keep your BoS up for as long as possible, and sometimes you end BoS with little to no resources, so you end up having to go one or two GCDs doing nothing but auto-attacks while you wait to get two runes for Obliterate. Bad RNG = bad DPS. Obliteration builds are smoother, IMO, and I think I have only gone without resources just a couple of times altogether in Shadowlands.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    Hey,

Thanks.
    FROST
    I tried 2h obliteration with the [Remorseless Winter] legendary to keep up with AoE damage and it is allright, very short fights look awfull in ST DPS compared to burst specs (Unholy) but overall and the contant cleave looks OK.
    => its the typical dull melee spec, I would not rate any of this kind of specs above 5/10, because while you cant fail with the 1-dimensional rotation/priority it gets a bit borring VERY FAST. Right now its undertuned by a lot in ST dps and AoE is hard targetcapped.

UNHOLY
    Unholy got a very easy ST burst with [Army of the Dead], mechanical friendly, fire and forget cooldown. While AoE is SMALL with DnD every 30sec and BIG with DT every 60sec, the hard padding is done with epidemic that you can also pull resources for between pulls and use basicly all the time. It works well even on typical spread-cleave fights, where usually only multidoter can do anything - as Unholy you will be able to pad on damager meters just aswell.
    * multiple spec variants are viable
    * execute ability for higher keys/longer fight times

its a 7/10, because its a pet spec and SL m+ dungeon routes are plagued with skips.

I just do gearfarm/weekly 15-16 keys (casual stuff) and right now it is very easy to compete as Unholy against other DPS, with some route planing for your cooldown ussage, you can outperform other META specs even undergeared in comparison.

What some posters mentioned about low keys/high keys for unholy is simply not true. You don't need "ramp up" in SL, since you dont have to play with wounds for AoE and padding with epidemic works in low keys just as well.
    -

Thanks for the reply guys!

You just saved me a lot of time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Blood and Frost are decent, they feel smooth but UH is just clunky

Highly subjective. Frost bores me to tears, unholy is a bit all over the place but interesting to me. Theme wise I love frost while unholy is meh to me,
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Got enough of frost when leveling, should probably try it again with some gear, so I'll abstain. UH felt nice for some time, but I don't know, it just feels being a bit too much all over the place combination of stuff. Blood, hard to say if it's the spec or me just not enjoying tanking any more. The bone shield "need" 5+ stacks is as annoying as anything. Being as mobile as a sloth is no laughing matter. Gripping is always fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Highly subjective. Frost bores me to tears, unholy is a bit all over the place but interesting to me. Theme wise I love frost while unholy is meh to me,
    You're right, it is subjective. Frost is one of the best feeling specs in the game to me. I love unholy too, and both are excellent melee specs that bring plenty to the raid

The best part of DK is playing as a Kul Tiran, dropping the haymaker to knock someone away then death gripping them back before they land
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

15+ Year Old Account
    Unholy in solo content is hilariously silly and folly. Choose a button that does damage and there is your opener and finisher. You get to use your coolest and highest damage ability once every 10 minutes, if you use it at all. (lul) The true mash your face across the keyboard play style or alternatively, you can go afk since the ghoul is 99.5% of your damage lol!
    Last edited by msdos; 2021-05-08 at 12:46 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can not stress the subjective part enough. Me personally found frost so much fun. The best advice here is to look at guides, gameplay on youtube and of course, trying it out your self.

15+ Year Old Account
    One of my alts is a Frost DK, I tried Unholy but didn't enjoy it. As others have said though, you should just try out one on the PTR or Class Trial or whatever, see what you enjoy the most. This is after all a game!

15+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the smoothness of Frost's rotation as opposed to what feels like whack-a-mole on Unholy. I also like Frosts theme as well as it goes with the Lich King they're based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    I prefer the smoothness of Frost's rotation as opposed to what feels like whack-a-mole on Unholy. I also like Frosts theme as well as it goes with the Lich King they're based on.
    I like having alot of abilities and tools that allow me to do something more than spamming my base rotation 24/7, that's why I prefer the unholy gameplay. Though I will happily admit that I'm not a fan of the zit-popping, mechanically and thematically. The worst part about UH for me is though that we still can't customize DT with a glyph. Misshapen undead constructs never appealed to me, as they look rather pathetic and pitiful to me, instead of scary/menacing. which is also why I'm so glad the abom is no longer (practically) mandatory .
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only play frost 2 hand, big critts and pue fantasy. Idc about minmaxing or 2% worse then dw.

Unholy has a cool theme, bu i has a pet and a whack a mole playstyle fees like.

Blood has amazing theme, but its a tank spec which ruins it for me.

Unholy is THE Death Knight spec, a creepy class, that uses diseases and a freaky pet, and it controls the undead.

Frost is generic and lame

Blood DK is pretty cool, but there's better tanks

coming from warrior from last expansios, DKs DPS specs are boring in comparisson with fury warrior, but they are better than arms i think. BLood is fun, isnot easy to play properly, but you have a lot of control of your health bar. I would say, with just "fun" as criteria:

Blood 8
    Frost 7
    Unholy 5

10+ Year Old Account
    I’ve been playing unholy and blood. I don’t enjoy frost as much primarily because I’m unfamiliar with it and it seems to be heavily CD and proc based.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.