Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

TBC HC dungeons hard or nah?

I actually started playing in TBC and I tanked with my droot, managed to down tier 5 raids and that was it. I remember hc dungeons as challenging, but doable during my kara/hc dungeon gear set up. CC was far important but maybe I was a noob back then

My question is, people said in the past that wow vanilla raids were hard and it turned out they were piss easy, will this be the same with tbc hc dungeons?

I am asking because perhaps there will be new metas etc

3+ Year Old Account
    nah. It won't be super faceroll at some points (Shattered Halls on timer), but the average wow player is like 10 imes better than back then.

I don’t think they’ll present nearly the same challenge. A lot of the “difficulty” was just knowing which hard hitting abilities to CC. For people who’ve played any of the last retail expansions, it’s a watered down Mythic.

I think the challenging part will be getting people to remember simple shit like attunements, managing MCs, and following marks (depending on tank in the run).

I suspect a heavy meta shift to Pala/Druid tanks and melee cleaves. Feral Druid, 3x FWar, Resto Shaman for maximum lols and zero downtime cleavefest.

Shattered Halls and Shadow Lab were brutal and required cc

"New metas", arent you guys tired of beating dead horses with these posts, its a repeat of the classic posts, le sigh.

There is one annoying and "Hard" pack in the dungeons, the double tank-knockup pack in Shattered Halls, where it gets dangerous since nothing works avoidance/mitigation wise.

They were never hard, they were never challenging, its the same as always, the same people that do Mythic dungeons the first day with 50 ilvls less, did those dungeons the first week, and so on.

The 99.99% didnt even see the first iterations since they were hotfixed quite quickly (2nd week i think?) where there were some very, very retardedly placed mobs/packs, and again it wasnt hard, you wiped and wondered "Why are there are 10 orc assassins appearing at the same time, lets actually pay attention it seems for this room".

I don't think the crowd that is going to be doing TBC dungeons is going to have much of a problem with them.

The mobs melee really hard but it's not mechanically challenging or anything.

Tanks in blues might have like 15,000 HP.

Some base melee damage comparisons

Maexxna: 8,475 - 9,727
    Laughing Skull Legionnaire: 7,785 - 8,330

Sapphiron: 10,680 - 12,258
    Coilfang Defender: 11,837 - 12,664

Gordok Reaver (Dire Maul): 807 - 960
    Shattered Hand Legionnaire: 9,877 - 10,462
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2021-03-21 at 05:20 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Was problematic for pugs back then, will be ez time nowadays.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Going in undergeared can definately get rough, especially with the harder HC's like Shattered Halls and Shadow Labyrinth. Sometimes you need to CC to avoid pulling additional mobs because of fears and knockbacks. Its also easier for the tank to hold aggro by using CC which a lot of people probably don't even know off if they started late into WoW.

There 2 things to remember with TBC.
    There is such a thing as threat.
    Mobs can 2 shot plate wearing dps.

At the beginning I predict a bit of CC. But they will be a lot easier this time round. People.know what to do. If you want to have a good time in dungeons then be a mage. You will be in high demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

I imagine there'll definitely be moments of "oh okay" when tanks try to tank four mobs at once and die in 0.5 seconds.

Once paladin tanks get raid gear it gets really easy.

That double haywire sentinel in arcatraz will be stupid unless we get the nerf where they removed one of them.
    Last edited by Nitros14; 2021-03-21 at 05:46 PM.

I certainly remember it was more work being a warrior tank back then. It felt so rewarding many times when completing a HC dungeons. This time around? Not so sure, we are overall better players now(atleast in wow) than back then.

I might remember it wrong it was all a cakewalk. Just gotta wait and see I suppose. They get easier over time too, as people get gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keelr View Post
    nah. It won't be super faceroll at some points (Shattered Halls on timer), but the average wow player is like 10 imes better than back then.
    After playing Classic since release, I sincerely disagree xD

Quote Originally Posted by Savant View Post
    I actually started playing in TBC and I tanked with my droot, managed to down tier 5 raids and that was it. I remember hc dungeons as challenging, but doable during my kara/hc dungeon gear set up. CC was far important but maybe I was a noob back then

My question is, people said in the past that wow vanilla raids were hard and it turned out they were piss easy, will this be the same with tbc hc dungeons?

I am asking because perhaps there will be new metas etc
    Depens on the released version i think. I remember unpredictable 360 degree cleaves in shattered halls (i think) from trash at release times, for example.

unnerfed Dark Portal and Escape from Durnholde were quite unbeatable.

We tried with the realm first guild and got overrun in Dark Portal (Realm First DPS), Portals overlap with 20s between portals.

Escape from Durnholde : First boss hits for 7k on the MainTank, fears the tank (0.5 sec cast), fear resets aggro, boss aggroes the healer, one shots healer etc. Maybe fear was instant cast, i forgot, and he had a charge and a big whirlwind. So he charged into group, ww, 3 Ppl Dead.
    We stopped trying at the dragon boss i think, because the dragon groups one shot the tank and spawns overlap with the best DPS from realm first guild.

These dungeons no longer exist in the game tho. Blizzard nerfed them hard after a few weeks.
    No one on my server beat the unnerfed versions as far as i can remember.

The nerfed versions were a piece of cake.

HC Shattered Halls, Shadow Lab etc were easy. We cleared all those every day in week 1.

But heroics are usually not hard because there's no time limit.
    So no, they won't be hard.
    Last edited by GnomeEU; 2021-03-21 at 06:41 PM.

The original heroic versions of them were difficult, the nerfed versions are doggy day care play ground in comparison and will probably not give anyone any trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure that the difficulty of Launch heroics won't be there. they'll probably use the last patch as a baseline like they did for Classic
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Will depend a lot from a version of dungeons we will get , but even with unnerfed version with 2.4 talents and item balance i think that PPala 2x lock mage and shmana party will just AoE most of dungeons

Mobs can hit hard but most of them are styl effected by slows so with improve blizzard it will be just kiting all day

Personaly it kinda will feal bad for all clases with out AoE that wont fit farming meta (rogues)

But heroics are usually not hard because there's no time limit.
    So no, they won't be hard.
    Time limits are an obnoxious part of retail dungeon design.

As part of a boss encounter sure, so you don't bring too many healers. But the timer causes huge problems in dungeons when people leave, or just needing to take a break in a 30-40 minute run. If something goes wrong you can't fix it you just feel like you've wasted a huge amount of time.

Yeah shattered halls has a timer, but it's very forgiving and just for a quest.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've tanked all heroics all over BC many dozens of times.
    I say it depends a lot on your gear. Tanks with green-blue gear will be destroyed in a few GCDs by many packs forcing you to CC a few hard hitters. Later on with T5+ gear you can skip almost all of the CC but pulling aggro will still be dangerous to non-tanks and there are some extremely hard hitting mobs that either need to be kited or killed incredibly quickly or you will wipe.
    Many dungeon bosses will require very high burst DPS: kill the boss before it kills you is the tactic for about 20% of dungeon bosses. This will also be hard in pre-raid gear.