Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So, like, 95% of all drivers, then.
    way more than that based on a half of dozen studies its probably closer to 98% that would even 'need' something greater than current capacity.

Faster/easier/access for charging sure, this i agree is a bit of a roadblock
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, because that's not really a reality yet. For a tiny minority of folks in some specific areas, sure.

I mean, I know we're doing the acting silly for laughs thing but like, cheerleading on a pretty shitty billionaire and wanting him to run a monopoly is pretty bad man. It's really not funny or amusing or cute or anything you seem to think it is. It's just annoying.
    If your goal is to have humans die off that is fine but most of us, or at least myself would like to see humans as a whole move forward into the future in many aspects.

Stagnation and decay aren't ok with me and I want to see humans thrive and make progress. Your aditude of death isn't funny or cool hunny.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    If your goal is to have humans die off that is fine but most of us, or at least myself would like to see humans as a whole move forward into the future in many aspects.

Stagnation and decay aren't ok with me and I want to see humans thrive and make progress. Your aditude of death isn't funny or cool hunny.
    What does any of this have to do with being opposed to cheerleading monopolies owned by garbage human beings?

10+ Year Old Account
    What does any of this have to do with being opposed to cheerleading monopolies owned by garbage human beings?
    It wouldn't be a monopoly if literally any other car company besides Rivian gave a shit.

And all humans are garbage but this is a publicly owned company that even you could own if you wanted to.

Speaking of has $tsla gone down enough for me to buy? Probably not.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    And all humans are garbage but this is a publicly owned company that even you could own if you wanted to.
    Not all human beings are equally garbage.

It being publicly owned doesn't matter when their by-laws are written so that Musk can control the company with only 22% of the stock. Changes require a 2/3 vote, so 90% of the remaining shareholders would need to back/oppose an initiative to make something happen. It's functionally still controlled entirely by Musk, just as Facebook is controlled by Zuckerberg and plenty of companies have used the "non-voting shares" horse shit to maintain total control while raising billions on the stock market.

55 major companies paid zero federal income tax in 2020: watchdog

At least 55 major profitable companies didn’t pay any federal corporate income taxes last year, according a report by the left-leaning Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP).

The group faulted the GOP tax cuts passed in 2017 as well as tax breaks enacted in the first major coronavirus relief bill passed early last year as contributing factors.

“This continues a decades-long trend of corporate tax avoidance by the biggest U.S. corporations, and it appears to be the product of long-standing tax breaks preserved or expanded by the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) as well as the CARES Act tax breaks enacted in the spring of 2020,” the group wrote in its report on the findings.

The report follows President Biden's proposal to pay for a more than $2 trillion infrastructure plan by raising the corporate tax rate from 21 percent to 28 percent. Prior to the 2017 GOP tax cut, the rate was 35 percent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    a lot of those jobs historicaly were done by young people who worked part time while being in school/uni . the problem appeared when those jobs were taken over by grown up adoults who lacked any other valuable skills to find work elsewhere.
    This certainly was the case a long time ago. The reality is that upward mobility began to cease. It's not that we just suddenly had huge batches of adults that were lazier than all of the rest. One could work their way up from employee at 18 to manager at 40 in the same company, and many people did this. These days there are gates of entry for higher positions. You can no longer work for a company, learn it inside and out, and become a manager via training. You typically have to have previous managerial experience or business management education. All skilled work requires advanced degrees and always has, so that's really nothing new. It's mostly just that companies have gotten rid of upward mobility within their own company.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    This certainly was the case a long time ago. The reality is that upward mobility began to cease. It's not that we just suddenly had huge batches of adults that were lazier than all of the rest. One could work their way up from employee at 18 to manager at 40 in the same company, and many people did this. These days there are gates of entry for higher positions. You can no longer work for a company, learn it inside and out, and become a manager via training. You typically have to have previous managerial experience or business management education. All skilled work requires advanced degrees and always has, so that's really nothing new. It's mostly just that companies have gotten rid of upward mobility within their own company.
    Well society can always create new better jobs that allow everyone to move up and we can automate the lowest crappiest jobs. Upward mobility may not be easy as it was for Baby Boomers but it's always possibile to increase it back to those levels and higher.

Democrats have some progressive things in the work so if you're a progressive then that means things are set to improve. There's no point in feeling despair and thinking these changes are permanent.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-02 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Well society can always create new better jobs that allow everyone to move up and we can automate the lowest crappiest job.
    We can't predict into the future like that, I thought?

7+ Year Old Account
    We can't predict into the future like that, I thought?
    We can't reliably predict what 'will' happen because that depends on whether people/society chooses to create the knowledge to fix our current issues. However all relevant human problems are soluble which means we can always say that improvement is possible as long as people direct their efforts in the right direction. If you read my post you would see I only said we 'can' create more better jobs and increase upward mobility, however just become something can happen in the future that is not a guarantee of anything.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-04-02 at 06:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We can't reliably predict what 'will' happen because that depends on whether people/society chooses to create the knowledge to fix our current issues.
    And yet, you do exactly that, every single time you hand-wave an issue and promise that a magical innovation will emerge naturally to fix it.

However all relevant human problems are soluble
    You can't possibly know that. Not unless you're making a circular argument, where problems that aren't soluble are, by dint of their insolubility, irrelevant. Which isn't an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    All skilled work requires advanced degrees and always has, so that's really nothing new.
    That's an over-simplification.

You could become a computer programmer in the 1960s without any advanced education.

And there has been a massive shift of the number of people starting university, 47% started tertiary education in the US in the beginning of the 70s; now it's 88% (it was even higher during the financial crisis). In part that is likely due to work becoming more specialized and advanced (since simpler work is automated or outsourced to cheaper countries) and in part because there's a degree-inflation. The world average is now close to what the US was during the 60s.

Now some might say that tertiary education isn't really an advanced degree; but that also indicates that the times are changing.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well society can always create new better jobs that allow everyone to move up and we can automate the lowest crappiest job. Upward mobility may not be easy as it was for Baby Boomers but it's always possibile to increase it back to those levels and higher.

Democrats have some progressive things in the work so if you're a progressive then that means things are set to improve. There's no point in feeling despair and thinking these changes are permanent.
    It's easier and cheaper to automate a lot of para-legal and research work, than it is to automate cleaning staff of a factory. Can't just let a roomba loose on a floor that regularly has oil and/or scilicone spills on it and just have it deal with itself.
    - Lars