10+ Year Old Account

Pharaoh: A new Era

Since the past couple of years have kickstarted - I think - the remaster trend of old games, here's another one that happens to have a very special place in my heart.

I was completely oblivious to this being done, but a few days ago youtubeing Rome Total War remastered, I thought of googling Pharaoh, and there it was, a remaster.

City building games - Caesar III, Pharaoh, Zeus/Poseidon and later Emperor - are what I'd say my early version of MMOs, games where I spent hours on end. They marked my teens and, frankly, adulthood.

I'm suspicious of remasters, as to me they seem nothing much more than a facelift to bring them into the present while banking on people's nostalgia, but my own selfishness is willing to let this one slide, as it does for RTW.

It's already on my steam wishlist since last summer. I miss this city building games.
    You can try Nebuchadnezzar meanwhile.
    Last edited by Soimu; 2021-04-18 at 08:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @det Gamer Zakh has a video with a couple of stills that shows the up lift in progress:

He also points out this is a "remake". To what extent it is, it isn't known yet, I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    It's already on my steam wishlist since last summer. I miss this city building games.
    They sort of died for me after Emperor. My focus shifted onto Diablo 2 and then WoW, plus I never really became a fan of the 3D city building genre

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I till have all those games (including D2) on CD in my basement. Itching to install them again...but RL gets in the way.

They truly know how to maybe get another 30 bucks out of me.....for nostalgia...maybe (didn't work with Classic WoW though)
    Well they're getting some out of me for Rome Total war, though I think I can get the discount.

If this is indeed a remake, then my wish is that they apply Zeus distance to workers thing onto Pharaoh. In Zeus, you didn't need to build houses near whatever job buildings you were putting up. Pharaoh was a bit annoying in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Well they're getting some out of me for Rome Total war, though I think I can get the discount.

If this is indeed a remake, then my wish is that they apply Zeus distance to workers thing onto Pharaoh. In Zeus, you didn't need to build houses near whatever job buildings you were putting up. Pharaoh was a bit annoying in that regard.
    I always felt sorry for those people living literally next to goldmines far away from the riches of the city center. Made me feel like a scumbag. welp