Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
... LastLast
  1. #121
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    22,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    so why are you complaining about the title of the thread if you choose to be intentionally dishonest and willfully ignorant, furthermore I bet those EU places also give ids for free and don't do everything legislatively possible to make it hard for the other party to get one.
    If he's so hard-on on pursuing European law policy for voter IDs (that he gets wrong anyway,) I wonder if he'd also be for pursuing European laws regarding guns and healthcare?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  2. #122
    Pandaren Monk Sugarcube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    furthermore I bet those EU places also give ids for free
    nope... you have to pay for it... id card costs $46 and passport costs the same in sweden... driver license costs far more than that to obtain... furthermore if you don't have an id you need to bring someone to verify that you are who you claim you are to obtain an id... if you don't have relatives or a partner you will have a lot of trouble getting it if you don't already have one... if they don't have an id themselves, they can't vouch for you either...
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 2021-03-28 at 06:53 AM.

  3. #123
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    nope... you have to pay for it... id card costs $46 and passport costs the same in sweden... driver license costs far more than that to obtain... furthermore if you don't have an id you need to bring someone to verify that you are who you claim you are to obtain an id... if you don't have relatives or a partner you will have a lot of trouble getting it if you don't already have one... if they don't have an id themselves, they can't vouch for you either...
    Technically I believe you can get the drivers licence for not that much more. If during working hours it'll go to 1205 SEK for the licensing exams. Including the photograph for your license.
    But this is mostly just me being semantic, since it's practically impossible to manage without lessons from a trained instructor. But it is still possible for some privileged gits.
    - Lars

  4. #124
    Pandaren Monk Sugarcube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Technically I believe you can get the drivers licence for not that much more. If during working hours it'll go to 1205 SEK for the licensing exams. Including the photograph for your license.
    But this is mostly just me being semantic, since it's practically impossible to manage without lessons from a trained instructor. But it is still possible for some privileged gits.
    cost me like $1400 in total to get it...

  5. #125
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    cost me like $1400 in total to get it...
    Same for me, or rather, I paid far more because that fucking written exam screwed me over hard several times. But technically the lessons and all that aren't a needed cost of the licence. I know a (very) small group who ~15-10 years ago still managed to get their license without a single paid lesson. But yeah, for most people you are right. They will need to pay more.
    But the driving lessons aren't a part of the license itself, they are just a system added ontop of it that ought to get ... far better regulation and cut down to size when it comes to costs.
    - Lars

  6. #126
    What if Georgia had a really big company that already made bottled water and could commit to distribute water free to everyone voting on Election Day. A company so big, and prominent, and important to Georgia that it wouldn't be criminally prosecuted.

    Any ideas?
    https://twitter.com/marceelias/statu...468768256?s=19

    Love this. Just for people not familiar, Coke-a-Cola's corporate headquarters is in Georgia.

    To be clear, the biggest problem is giving the legislation power to oversee the votes instead of the Secretary of State.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    nope... you have to pay for it... id card costs $46 and passport costs the same in sweden... driver license costs far more than that to obtain... furthermore if you don't have an id you need to bring someone to verify that you are who you claim you are to obtain an id... if you don't have relatives or a partner you will have a lot of trouble getting it if you don't already have one... if they don't have an id themselves, they can't vouch for you either...
    Voter participation in Sweden like in most EU countries is very high, I don't remember ever seen news about people waiting 4-16 hours in line to vote nor not having any ID places for hundreds of miles because a party closed them and they are only open during working hours. In the US the republican party from the leadership to local officials are on the record saying that they don't want more people to vote because they lose.

  8. #128
    Republicans sure do love democracy, don't they? Just as much as they love.... well, the general populace, I guess. I.e. not at fucking all. The fact this got passed in any respect shows what a fucking state politics is in.


    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    All I Heard about this before clicking on this thread was listening to a conversation between my dad and a family friend and then reading the OP. I have not been reading any political news at all recently. I'm probably gonna keep it that way.
    people saying I'm ignorant
    You literally explained how ignorant you are in the same post you complain that people call you ignorant lol Congrats.

    Amazing you consider yourself able to make any real commentary on the subject in that case.

  9. #129
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    22,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    nope... you have to pay for it... id card costs $46 and passport costs the same in sweden... driver license costs far more than that to obtain... furthermore if you don't have an id you need to bring someone to verify that you are who you claim you are to obtain an id... if you don't have relatives or a partner you will have a lot of trouble getting it if you don't already have one... if they don't have an id themselves, they can't vouch for you either...
    You're missing the intent, here.

    The intent of these laws is not to make voting in the US more secure. Voter fraud in the United States is, by all accounts, statistically nonexistant. It's to specifically disenfranchise demographics that are affected by the time and financial constraints such legislation would put on them, which just so happen to be demographics that routinely vote democrat.

    Why do you think only the GOP ever pushes for it? Why do you think they combine it with shutting down polling stations, restricting voting hours, and restricting things like mail-in voting? These are not unrelated, disparate issues that "just so happen" to help the GOP keep their ever-shrinking party afloat.

    In essence, the incidental cost of "solving" the ostensible problem is far worse than the largely-imagined benefit. A good rule of thumb in assessing the GOP's actions is to never assume they're acting in good faith, and always strive to see how they, as a party, stand to benefit from any and all legislation they suggest, and not how it "helps the country," as the latter notion is no longer a concern of theirs.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  10. #130
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    38,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    nope... you have to pay for it... id card costs $46 and passport costs the same in sweden... driver license costs far more than that to obtain... furthermore if you don't have an id you need to bring someone to verify that you are who you claim you are to obtain an id... if you don't have relatives or a partner you will have a lot of trouble getting it if you don't already have one... if they don't have an id themselves, they can't vouch for you either...
    Just so you know... you can't vote without a federal ID and verification of your identity via your federal ID. Voter fraud is so hard and rare because in order to say vote for someone else you must know their name, how they sign their name, their social security number, which is a very high bar... this is why instances of voter fraud are near non-existant.

    The whole "pay for id" thing when we already have federal id's that are currently used to verify people's information already... is simply to disenfranchise people.

    I mean there are areas where DMVs are only open once or twice a week in the middle of the working day sometimes 80 miles or more away from where people live... it's all set up to disenfranchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black people in america should be happy their ancestors where slaves so they could have a good live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Black women are racist. Im the one trying to make her[my wife] behave like white people and not say it out loud.
    Totally not racist

  11. #131
    JUST IN: GOP lawmaker to propose bill revoking MLB's antitrust exception https://t.co/CJSkysVWSr https://t.co/EJZ9g16mBv
    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...908631046?s=19

    See here is the thing. The Republicans sure love to use their cancel culture with punishing businesses through Legislation.

    Delta is the biggest one, with them threatening to take away tax breaks. Now this likely less threatening one to MLB.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...908631046?s=19

    See here is the thing. The Republicans sure love to use their cancel culture with punishing businesses through Legislation.

    Delta is the biggest one, with them threatening to take away tax breaks. Now this likely less threatening one to MLB.
    I mean...I'm fine with removing antitrust exceptions on principle so...go for it?

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...908631046?s=19

    See here is the thing. The Republicans sure love to use their cancel culture with punishing businesses through Legislation.

    Delta is the biggest one, with them threatening to take away tax breaks. Now this likely less threatening one to MLB.
    You know, it would be fucking hilarious if Delta, Coke and the MLB, namely the braves, just left the state. I believe Delta is the largest employer in Georgia, and it would drastically destroy their economy if they did leave.

  14. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    I believe Delta is the largest employer in Georgia, and it would drastically destroy their economy if they did leave.
    Destroying your state economy to own the libs is pretty on-point for Republicans.

  15. #135
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    If an ID is required that means you have placed a tax on voting, which is against the law in numerous ways. Therefore if you want everyone to have an ID you better make it easier for people to get.
    I disagree with the new law in GA. But you can get a FREE voter ID in GA and have been able to for a while.

    I'm just waiting on Lebron to request moving the 2022 and 2024 NBA All-Star games out of Ohio and Indiana. Non-photo ID required (Strict) is needed in Ohio and Photo ID required (Strict) in Indiana.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    You know, it would be fucking hilarious if Delta, Coke and the MLB, namely the braves, just left the state. I believe Delta is the largest employer in Georgia, and it would drastically destroy their economy if they did leave.
    1 The Home Depot Atlanta 400,000
    2 United Parcel Service Atlanta 335,520
    3 Randstad USA Atlanta 125,000
    4 Delta Air Lines Atlanta 86,564
    5 Arby’s Atlanta 74,000
    6 The Coca-Cola Company Atlanta 62,600

    4th.

  16. #136
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Now this likely less threatening one to MLB.
    If Democrats did this, Fox News would have wall to wall coverage of the destruction of yet another American institution... America’s game... baseball...

    I can be your Frank Lunz, Democrats! I don’t even smell of sulfur...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I disagree with the new law in GA. But you can get a FREE voter ID in GA and have been able to for a while.
    Are the office hours like...accessible? Or is this one of the GOP, "The office is open every second Tuesday, third Friday, and fourth Monday of the month, from 11AM-2PM on Tuesdays, 7AM-10AM on Friday, and 3PM-4PM on Monday. Must come with already valid government issued ID."? Because that's free, but not accessible.

    And still doesn't address the fact that it's adding a burden to voting that...isn't necessary. There remains no evidence that voter fraud is a serious problem requiring these additional steps to begin with.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    JUST IN: GOP lawmaker to propose bill revoking MLB's antitrust exception
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...I'm fine with removing antitrust exceptions on principle so...go for it?
    Fun fact: Senator Stuart Symington from Missouri was so pissed about the Athletics leaving Kansas City that he threatened MLB with....revocation of their antitrust exemption.

    MLB quickly gave Kansas City an expansion team, the Royals.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    1 The Home Depot Atlanta 400,000
    Wouldn't have known it when I was just there. Took forEVER to find someone to cut some chain for me.

    :P
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

  19. #139
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are the office hours like...accessible? Or is this one of the GOP, "The office is open every second Tuesday, third Friday, and fourth Monday of the month, from 11AM-2PM on Tuesdays, 7AM-10AM on Friday, and 3PM-4PM on Monday. Must come with already valid government issued ID."? Because that's free, but not accessible.

    And still doesn't address the fact that it's adding a burden to voting that...isn't necessary. There remains no evidence that voter fraud is a serious problem requiring these additional steps to begin with.

    I think online is available 24/7 then as far as I know DDS is closed on Mondays and Sundays.
    I agree it's an extra step I was pointing out that it's not a tax as there are free means to get one.

    I"m waiting for LeBron to ask to move the NBA All-Star Games from Ohio and Indiana due to them requiring IDs to vote.



    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Fun fact: Senator Stuart Symington from Missouri was so pissed about the Athletics leaving Kansas City that he threatened MLB with....revocation of their antitrust exemption.

    MLB quickly gave Kansas City an expansion team, the Royals.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Wouldn't have known it when I was just there. Took forEVER to find someone to cut some chain for me.

    :P
    Most of its is the headquarters and distribution centers honestly. Service in the stores has honestly made me head to Lowes.
    Last edited by Logwyn; 2021-04-03 at 12:03 PM.

  20. #140
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    22,976
    Oh no, conservatives on Twitter are threatening to cancel the MLB because the MLB doesn't believe in voter suppression. Isn't the MLB the last major sports league they supposedly support?

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •