Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    nope... you have to pay for it... id card costs $46 and passport costs the same in sweden... driver license costs far more than that to obtain... furthermore if you don't have an id you need to bring someone to verify that you are who you claim you are to obtain an id... if you don't have relatives or a partner you will have a lot of trouble getting it if you don't already have one... if they don't have an id themselves, they can't vouch for you either...
    Voter participation in Sweden like in most EU countries is very high, I don't remember ever seen news about people waiting 4-16 hours in line to vote nor not having any ID places for hundreds of miles because a party closed them and they are only open during working hours. In the US the republican party from the leadership to local officials are on the record saying that they don't want more people to vote because they lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    nope... you have to pay for it... id card costs $46 and passport costs the same in sweden... driver license costs far more than that to obtain... furthermore if you don't have an id you need to bring someone to verify that you are who you claim you are to obtain an id... if you don't have relatives or a partner you will have a lot of trouble getting it if you don't already have one... if they don't have an id themselves, they can't vouch for you either...
    You're missing the intent, here.

The intent of these laws is not to make voting in the US more secure. Voter fraud in the United States is, by all accounts, statistically nonexistant. It's to specifically disenfranchise demographics that are affected by the time and financial constraints such legislation would put on them, which just so happen to be demographics that routinely vote democrat.

Why do you think only the GOP ever pushes for it? Why do you think they combine it with shutting down polling stations, restricting voting hours, and restricting things like mail-in voting? These are not unrelated, disparate issues that "just so happen" to help the GOP keep their ever-shrinking party afloat.

In essence, the incidental cost of "solving" the ostensible problem is far worse than the largely-imagined benefit. A good rule of thumb in assessing the GOP's actions is to never assume they're acting in good faith, and always strive to see how they, as a party, stand to benefit from any and all legislation they suggest, and not how it "helps the country," as the latter notion is no longer a concern of theirs.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Just so you know... you can't vote without a federal ID and verification of your identity via your federal ID. Voter fraud is so hard and rare because in order to say vote for someone else you must know their name, how they sign their name, their social security number, which is a very high bar... this is why instances of voter fraud are near non-existant.

The whole "pay for id" thing when we already have federal id's that are currently used to verify people's information already... is simply to disenfranchise people.

I mean there are areas where DMVs are only open once or twice a week in the middle of the working day sometimes 80 miles or more away from where people live... it's all set up to disenfranchise.

JUST IN: GOP lawmaker to propose bill revoking MLB's antitrust exception https://t.co/CJSkysVWSr https://t.co/EJZ9g16mBv
    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...908631046?s=19

See here is the thing. The Republicans sure love to use their cancel culture with punishing businesses through Legislation.

Delta is the biggest one, with them threatening to take away tax breaks. Now this likely less threatening one to MLB.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

See here is the thing. The Republicans sure love to use their cancel culture with punishing businesses through Legislation.

Delta is the biggest one, with them threatening to take away tax breaks. Now this likely less threatening one to MLB.
    I mean...I'm fine with removing antitrust exceptions on principle so...go for it?

You know, it would be fucking hilarious if Delta, Coke and the MLB, namely the braves, just left the state. I believe Delta is the largest employer in Georgia, and it would drastically destroy their economy if they did leave.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    I believe Delta is the largest employer in Georgia, and it would drastically destroy their economy if they did leave.
    Destroying your state economy to own the libs is pretty on-point for Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    If an ID is required that means you have placed a tax on voting, which is against the law in numerous ways. Therefore if you want everyone to have an ID you better make it easier for people to get.
    I disagree with the new law in GA. But you can get a FREE voter ID in GA and have been able to for a while.

I'm just waiting on Lebron to request moving the 2022 and 2024 NBA All-Star games out of Ohio and Indiana. Non-photo ID required (Strict) is needed in Ohio and Photo ID required (Strict) in Indiana.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    You know, it would be fucking hilarious if Delta, Coke and the MLB, namely the braves, just left the state. I believe Delta is the largest employer in Georgia, and it would drastically destroy their economy if they did leave.
    1 The Home Depot Atlanta 400,000
    2 United Parcel Service Atlanta 335,520
    3 Randstad USA Atlanta 125,000
    4 Delta Air Lines Atlanta 86,564
    5 Arby’s Atlanta 74,000
    6 The Coca-Cola Company Atlanta 62,600

4th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now this likely less threatening one to MLB.
    If Democrats did this, Fox News would have wall to wall coverage of the destruction of yet another American institution... America’s game... baseball...

I can be your Frank Lunz, Democrats! I don’t even smell of sulfur...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I disagree with the new law in GA. But you can get a FREE voter ID in GA and have been able to for a while.
    Are the office hours like...accessible? Or is this one of the GOP, "The office is open every second Tuesday, third Friday, and fourth Monday of the month, from 11AM-2PM on Tuesdays, 7AM-10AM on Friday, and 3PM-4PM on Monday. Must come with already valid government issued ID."? Because that's free, but not accessible.

And still doesn't address the fact that it's adding a burden to voting that...isn't necessary. There remains no evidence that voter fraud is a serious problem requiring these additional steps to begin with.

JUST IN: GOP lawmaker to propose bill revoking MLB's antitrust exception
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean...I'm fine with removing antitrust exceptions on principle so...go for it?
    Fun fact: Senator Stuart Symington from Missouri was so pissed about the Athletics leaving Kansas City that he threatened MLB with....revocation of their antitrust exemption.

MLB quickly gave Kansas City an expansion team, the Royals.

- - - Updated - - -

1 The Home Depot Atlanta 400,000
    Wouldn't have known it when I was just there. Took forEVER to find someone to cut some chain for me.

:P
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Are the office hours like...accessible? Or is this one of the GOP, "The office is open every second Tuesday, third Friday, and fourth Monday of the month, from 11AM-2PM on Tuesdays, 7AM-10AM on Friday, and 3PM-4PM on Monday. Must come with already valid government issued ID."? Because that's free, but not accessible.

And still doesn't address the fact that it's adding a burden to voting that...isn't necessary. There remains no evidence that voter fraud is a serious problem requiring these additional steps to begin with.

I think online is available 24/7 then as far as I know DDS is closed on Mondays and Sundays.
    I agree it's an extra step I was pointing out that it's not a tax as there are free means to get one.

I"m waiting for LeBron to ask to move the NBA All-Star Games from Ohio and Indiana due to them requiring IDs to vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Fun fact: Senator Stuart Symington from Missouri was so pissed about the Athletics leaving Kansas City that he threatened MLB with....revocation of their antitrust exemption.

MLB quickly gave Kansas City an expansion team, the Royals.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't have known it when I was just there. Took forEVER to find someone to cut some chain for me.

:P
    Most of its is the headquarters and distribution centers honestly. Service in the stores has honestly made me head to Lowes.
    Last edited by Logwyn; 2021-04-03 at 12:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no, conservatives on Twitter are threatening to cancel the MLB because the MLB doesn't believe in voter suppression. Isn't the MLB the last major sports league they supposedly support?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Oh no, conservatives on Twitter are threatening to cancel the MLB because the MLB doesn't believe in voter suppression. Isn't the MLB the last major sports league they supposedly support?
    They're attacking a True American(tm) institution. They sound like a bunch of commies.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The NBA All-Star Game should be moved from Ohio and Indiana as well. Both have strict voter ID laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    The NBA All-Star Game should be moved from Ohio and Indiana as well. Both have strict voter ID laws.
    I"m waiting for LeBron to ask to move the NBA All-Star Games from Ohio and Indiana due to them requiring IDs to vote.
    I'm just waiting on Lebron to request moving the 2022 and 2024 NBA All-Star games out of Ohio and Indiana. Non-photo ID required (Strict) is needed in Ohio and Photo ID required (Strict) in Indiana.
    I’m acknowledging you said it... you can stop now...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I’m acknowledging you said it... you can stop now...
    "Whats incredibly telling is the dishonest presentation. Voter ID laws have been around for a long time. They are not what is driving the response to the GA laws. It's the stuff like allowing a GOP legislature to overturn Democratic county results. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/politics/georgia-voting-law-annotated.html"

"Right. One of the most smarmy and disgusting lies that the propagandists covering for Georgia voter suppression law are pushing is the idea that this is only about voter ID. It's a shame these cowards won't own up to what the law actually does and just defend it already."

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/st...062729736?s=20
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

But the law is not just voter ID, they can literally take over local electoral boards and throw out the votes for no reason, they criminalized bringing water to people. It's a long list of actions that have nothing to do with voter ID so to focus on the voter ID part is laughable it's not even 10% of the fucked up shit that's in there. Also keep in mind this is the "light" version their original bill closed polls on Sundays, the republican party is not being subtle about these efforts.

.@MLB
    could consider moving the all-star game to Toronto, but there’s this: https://elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=ids&document=index&lang=e

This is why I continue to follow Fox idiots on Twitter. Their self-own.

John Roberts of Fox News, believes he is making a brilliant point. Canadian want to chime in here? I know that Canadians have a much greater ease of voter registration from early voting, to getting an ID to allowing people to vote early and get time off.

The idiot even provides a link that debunks his shit..LuL. https://www.elections.ca/content.asp...t=index&lang=e

Ben Shapiro tried the same with his Disney Line=Voting lines analogy a few days before.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Alliance

Just read through the NYT's list of things this bill does, and they are all either neutral or positive.

Granted, some of NYT's points are lies (such as them claiming mobile voting centers are banned).
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD